Pacquiao vs. Marquez 4

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Dominating? He clearly lost round 2, and round 4 was too close to call. The fight still had 6 more rounds had it not ended. I saw no domination, the blood on Marquez's face and the idiot commentators who acted like every jab from Manny was close to KO'ing Juan don't count for much. Manny was winning the fight, but he had already got dropped once, and Marquez was at worst very competitive.

Exactly. Idk how people were saying Manny was on the way to a clear decision when it was a brawl. Manny got put on his back and Marquez got staggered.

I hate commentators in boxing and MMA. The only commentator that knows his shit is Joe Rogan, who explains every single thing in detail and is usually always right.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Wow, what a total and complete fucking dive that was. wtf

That punch looked like it couldn't break glass...ROFL!!!

Given your similar take on the ufc last night, you're looking like a complete paranoid schizophrenic who forgot to take one's meds.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Exactly. Idk how people were saying Manny was on the way to a clear decision when it was a brawl. Manny got put on his back and Marquez got staggered.

I hate commentators in boxing and MMA. The only commentator that knows his shit is Joe Rogan, who explains every single thing in detail and is usually always right.

The ring side dudes were so biased it wasn't even funny, when Marquez sent Pac flying down they did get hype. But they reacted even more intensely when Manny hit him and he did a half slip. I guess technically the Marquez one was a knock down, but it wasn't that serious. If the fight had went the distance Marquez would have probably had to have landed 3 power shots for every 1 Pacman jab for ring side to actually give him credit.

Rogan knows MMA but he can be biased as hell too, certain fighters like Shogun, Couture & Liddell he had huge man crushes on. He also tends to almost shoot his load over any semi decent leg kick. There are a good number of fights where his biased commentary had me thinking what he was saying. Then I'd re watch the fight on mute and the fight was totally different.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Boxing, it's all about landing that lucky KO punch before you get blinded by too many punches on your face.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
good fight... no doubt that pacquiao was owning marquez up until the landed that punch with one second left in the 6th round.

there will definitely be a rematch. pacman has an ego bigger than the philippines and will rematch, train harder, and win.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
50/50 of the purse, PPV revenues are totally separate. I just find it ironic that his offer wasn't enough $$$ for Manny, yet he immediately took a fight where he made a fraction of that. And he was seaminly okay with that. 50+ PPV revenues wasn't really fair for Pacman to ask, he's a draw but nowhere near Floyd. Mayweather Vs Ortiz did numbers close to Manny Vs Marquez III. Ortiz was a mostly unknown. imho Manny should get about 40% plus no PPV. So a 50/50 purse split was super fair.
That's your opinion, but it doesn't make a lick of sense to me. You could say the same thing about Floyd, he left $50M+ on the table by NOT fighting Manny.

Simply put, it's not 50/50 if Manny doesn't get a big cut of the PPV buys. It's an absolute non-starter to exclude the $100M+ PPV gross.

Sure, Floyd is a bigger TV draw but that's because Manny is a Filipino with limited English and American marketing. If you want to talk about fighting, he's been the much more entertaining fighter for YEARS. Floyd partisans love to talk about the beauty of Money's defense, but I feel cheated if I buy his fight.

While you can never predict boxing's judging, Manny could have cruised to a points decision last night. It wasn't in his M.O. and he was willing to brawl with Marquez even to his ultimate detriment. On points until the stoppage, it was still a close fight because JMM did have a 10-8 round.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
That's your opinion, but it doesn't make a lick of sense to me. You could say the same thing about Floyd, he left $50M+ on the table by NOT fighting Manny.

But he didn't leave any money on the table. He went on to make less for the actual fight purse, but when you factor in the PPV cut that Manny was demanding he didn't have to give up. He made more money fighting Ortiz. So in the end Manny's the one who lost out here, he overestimated his worth and his importance. And it backfired on him. To me Floyd's move made perfect sense from a business standpoint, obviously fighting Manny would have given him more status. But he went where he was going to make the most money, and I can't blame him there really. Now as it stands with 2 loses in a row, if Manny hopes to get a super fight with Floyd, he'll have to take a lot less than the 50% he was being offered. He shot himself in the foot being greedy. Mayweather was being greedy too, but at least what he was asking for was realistic.

Pacman was guaranteed $8 million for Marquez IV
Mayweather was guaranteed $25 for fighting Ortiz.

Marquez is a legend and a future HOFer.
Ortiz is a guy most people had never heard of.

Last edited:

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
But he didn't leave any money on the table. He went on to make less for the actual fight purse, but when you factor in the PPV cut that Manny was demanding he didn't have to give up. He made more money fighting Ortiz. So in the end Manny's the one who lost out here, he overestimated his worth and his importance. And it backfired on him. To me Floyd's move made perfect sense from a business standpoint, obviously fighting Manny would have given him more status. But he went where he was going to make the most money, and I can't blame him there really. Now as it stands with 2 loses in a row, if Manny hopes to get a super fight with Floyd, he'll have to take a lot less than the 50% he was being offered. He shot himself in the foot being greedy. Mayweather was being greedy too, but at least what he was asking for was realistic.

Pacman was guaranteed $8 million for Marquez IV
Mayweather was guaranteed $25 for fighting Ortiz.

Marquez is a legend and a future HOFer.
Ortiz is a guy most people had never heard of.
Wikipedia:
Mayweather will be paid a guaranteed $25 million, which can go as high as $40 million depending on the pay per view numbers, and Ortiz will be paid $2 million.

If Money stood to make (well over) $50M in a superfight with Pacquiao, then he left a ton of money on the table. Whether or not you or I feel Manny was worth a 50/50 split of total revenues is beside the point. The argument you use against Manny is EASILY applied to Floyd. There's simply NO question that the most lucrative fight for both guys was to fight each other. You represent it as a 1-way only money decision for Pacquiao, which is bullshit. If you're right that Mayweather deserves a 60/40 cut or better of total revenue, then he left even MORE money on the table by not inking a fight deal while the iron was hot.

Btw, ESPN.com reported Manny was guaranteed $26M for the IV fight Saturday night. Personally I have little interest in a fifth fight, but Bob Arum knows he could easily clear 8 figures for both fighters. You suggest that Manny isn't a big draw, but after Saturday night he's had six 1M PPV buys in his main events. Offering him 0 of the PPV revenues is flat out ridiculous. As a reference point, in 2008 De La Hoya received 68% of the boxers' take of PPV revenue and this was prior to Pacquiao becoming a superstar in the sport.

But hey, keep arguing that Floyd turning down mid to high 8 figures was a smart business decision for him.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
But hey, keep arguing that Floyd turning down mid to high 8 figures was a smart business decision for him.

It wasn't knowing what we know now. PacMan is weak against counter fighters and Mayweather would of have a great chance of easily defeating him. However back then, Manny seemed pretty unstoppable and for Floyd to make a ton of money off one fight but risk not being a big draw afterwards was big. He took easier fights that made a ton of money. For the few rounds that Ortiz fought, he was completely outclassed and resorted to cheap shots out of frustration.

Sure, Floyd is a bigger TV draw but that's because Manny is a Filipino with limited English and American marketing. If you want to talk about fighting, he's been the much more entertaining fighter for YEARS. Floyd partisans love to talk about the beauty of Money's defense, but I feel cheated if I buy his fight.

I used to say the same thing with that and as well as MMA when fights were going full on jujitsu before I had any training in them. Once you train in the field, you start seeing the sport differently. All of Floyd's speed, dodging, and precision choice in striking is amazing to me to watch. Same as when I watch MMA and see what each fighter is attempting to do and how each one is countering each other's attempts. Before training, all I saw was 2 people rolling around, being boring.