P&Ns middle name is and

Page 1742 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
pMTplaT.jpeg

Fox 3, good hit, Kitara on egress, requesting crowd of rejoicing sailors please and thank you...

Last edited:

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Keep looking, it will come.

Ah OK - now took a screen shot and flipped the image.

But in any case, even ignoring the upside-down scale, it could just show that once 'stand your ground' laws were introduced, fewer people were convicted of murder, because they successfully used it as a legal defense. While the number of people actually shot dead nevertheless increased.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Ah OK - now took a screen shot and flipped the image.

But in any case, even ignoring the upside-down scale, it could just show that once 'stand your ground' laws were introduced, fewer people were convicted of murder, because they successfully used it as a legal defense. While the number of people actually shot dead nevertheless increased.
It just shows that there should have been one more gun death: the person who made the graphic.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
That graph is confusingly labelled. Is it a graph of "gun deaths in Florida" or of "number of murders committed using firearms"? Those are two different things.
You did notice that it's upside down, right?

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
You did notice that it's upside down, right?

Not immediately, no.

As I said, what did occur to me is that the _murder_ rate could well go down (even as _gun deaths_ go up) after such a law, simply because it could mean people using it as a defence and so not being convicted of murder. I mean, the simplest way to reduce the gun murder rate is to make it legal to shoot people - the rate would then fall to zero.