P&Ns middle name is and

Page 1739 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Growing up in the 60's a Sino/Soviet war was always a possibility. (there was a short conflict, neither side won...but BOTH sides claimed victory)

Reactions: hal2kilo

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
fP1tlpD.jpeg

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
I was just reading about that and thought to myself...really? Only between 60 to 365 days off a sentence...for an organ or bone marrow? Talk about lowballing the inmates, but I'm not surprised.

Bone marrow wouldn't be that big of a deal ... at least nowhere near a kidney or part of your liver.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Bone marrow wouldn't be that big of a deal ... at least nowhere near a kidney or part of your liver.
I wasn't only thinking about the anatomical cost to the inmate, but the value to the recipient. It's something that is pretty much always in scarce supply, and they want to offer the donors a few months off.

I wonder why long-serving inmates would bother to be honest, other than the moral and empathetic standpoint to do good for someone else and maybe save a life.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
I wasn't only thinking about the anatomical cost to the inmate, but the value to the recipient. It's something that is pretty much always in scarce supply, and they want to offer the donors a few months off.

I wonder why long-serving inmates would bother to be honest, other than the moral and empathetic standpoint to do good for someone else and maybe save a life.

Good point.

I could see it being something the rare "Andy Dufresne" type inmate would go for. Might help with parole as well.

Reactions: Pohemi

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
fi1b1df5hrfa1.jpg

"The cheapest sort of pride is national pride; for if a man is proud of his own nation, it argues that he has no qualities of his own of which he can be proud; otherwise he would not have recourse to those which he shares with so many millions of his fellowmen. The man who is endowed with important personal qualities will be only too ready to see clearly in what respects his own nation falls short, since their failings will be constantly before his eyes. But every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud adopts, as a last resource, pride in the nation to which he belongs; he is ready and glad to defend all its faults and follies tooth and nail, thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority."

~Arthur Schopenhauer