P&Ns middle name is and

Page 1683 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Cipheron

Feb 5, 2014
<shopping cart meme>
That reminds me of Nietzsche's idea of a future "Superman" who would transcend humanity's need for rules of behavior.

Morons then decided that meant that if you're better than other people you can just go around murdering inferior people and it's perfectly ok. (rather than the much more logical idea that a superior person would in fact know the right way to behave in the first place).

In fact all they did was prove that they aren't the "Supermen" who Nietzsche was talking about and are in fact the unevolved cretins who's very existence explains why we have stupid rules for everything.

Leopold was particularly fascinated by Friedrich Nietzsche's concept of "supermen" (Übermenschen), interpreting them as transcendent individuals possessing extraordinary and unusual capabilities, whose superior intellects allowed them to rise above the laws and rules that bound the unimportant, average populace. Leopold believed that he and Loeb were such individuals, and as such, by his interpretation of Nietzsche's doctrines, they were not bound by any of society's normal ethics or rules.
Such geniuses that they completely missed the point of the whole thing ...

Last edited:
Reactions: DAPUNISHER

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
That reminds me of Nietzsche's idea of a future "Superman" who would transcend humanity's need for rules of behavior.

Morons then decided that meant that if you're better than other people you can just go around murdering inferior people and it's perfectly ok. (rather than the much more logical idea that a superior person would in fact know the right way to behave in the first place).

In fact all they did was prove that they aren't the "Supermen" who Nietzsche was talking about and are in fact the unevolved cretins who's very existence explains why we have stupid rules for everything.

Such geniuses that they completely missed the point of the whole thing ...

Nietzsche's influence seems to have been malign in pretty much every case of every figure he's influenced. If your influence is invariably bad, then maybe you didn't make your 'point' quite clear enough?

Reactions: ivwshane

Cipheron

Feb 5, 2014
Nietzsche's influence seems to have been malign in pretty much every case of every figure he's influenced. If your influence is invariably bad, then maybe you didn't make your 'point' quite clear enough?

After his death, his sister Elisabeth became the curator and editor of Nietzsche's manuscripts. She edited his unpublished writings to fit her German ultranationalist ideology while often contradicting or obfuscating Nietzsche's stated opinions, which were explicitly opposed to antisemitism and nationalism. Through her published editions, Nietzsche's work became associated with fascism and Nazism
This bit is kinda important. Having an actual Nazi rewrite all your work after you're dead would sort of not help.

As for when he was actually alive, conservatives wanted his writing banned and he was influential with left-wing anarchists:

He had some following among left-wing Germans in the 1890s; in 1894–1895 German conservatives wanted to ban his work as subversive. During the late 19th century Nietzsche's ideas were commonly associated with anarchist movements and appear to have had influence within them, particularly in France and the United States.
Nietzsche is known today as a precursor to existentialism, post-structuralism and postmodernism.

Last edited:
Reactions: ivwshane

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

This bit is kinda important. Having an actual Nazi rewrite all your work after you're dead would sort of not help.
Yeah, I have heard that his sister misrepresented him, and that was a factor, particularly with regard to the Nazis. Nevertheless, he's been an influence on figures from Camille Paglia to (indirectly) Clarance Thomas by way of various pomo intellectual types who I also dislike. I've yet to encounter anyone influenced by him that I had a positive opinion of (he's similar to Jung, in that respect).
Don't ask me to critique his actual philisophy - I went to an inner city comprehensive, but in my experience he seems to appeal to privileged types who want to feel heroic.

Reactions: zinfamous

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Just imagine if this little stunt of his with Abbott ended up saving us from him running for pres.

ASK THE COMMUNITY