Overrated NFL Players

Garet Jax

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2000
I'll start the list:

Steve McNair (too old and too injured)

Brett Favre (too old and seems to be trying to prove he is not too old by making passes he can't make any longer rather than accepting it and taking advantage of his experience ala John Elway)

Entire Baltimore Defense (except for Ed Reed)

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Michael Vick.

I think McNair is underrated this season. He's great when healthy.

Garet Jax

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2000
Originally posted by: wyvrn
I think McNair is underrated this season. He's great when healthy.

I think he has some great potential, but he will never live up to because he is too old and too injured.

Besides he is going to be behind Baltimore's O-line which isn't going to give him much protection.

I would loved to be proved wrong, but I have trouble believing it.

Garet Jax

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2000
How about Peyton Manning? Can you say someone is overrated if he is one of the best players in the league simply because he hasn't won a Super Bowl?

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
McNair will suprise this season.

Also think Lavar Arrington is overrated.

sash1

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2001
Michael Vick - Running QBs are only good in college (ala Vince Young). He has no arm strength/accuracy

Peyton Manning - His brother is going to be better. Everyone hypes Payton, and while he has great stats, he still has no rings. I also think that he thinks he's hot sh!t

ScottFern

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Brett Favre is going to terribly embarress himself this season. It's quite sad, and I am going to have fun watching it. :)

Garet Jax

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2000
Originally posted by: ScottFern
Brett Favre is going to terribly embarress himself this season. It's quite sad, and I am going to have fun watching it. :)

Maybe not, I heard a report this that Mike Marse (sp?) is actually standing up to him and calling him out at practice. This hasn't happened since Holmgren left.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Garet Jax
How about Peyton Manning? Can you say someone is overrated if he is one of the best players in the league simply because he hasn't won a Super Bowl?

Not a chance. Would you say Dan Marino was over rated? There are many great QB's out there that just didn't win the big one. It's a team sport = you win as a team.

Garet Jax

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2000
Originally posted by: LikeLinus

Not a chance. Would you say Dan Marino was over rated? There are many great QB's out there that just didn't win the big one. It's a team sport = you win as a team.

That's true, but Dan Marion never really had a good cast of characters around him. He certainly didn't have much of a running game.

Last year, Peyton's team was awesome. He had one of the best receivers - a great RB - good O-line and a great defense.

If Dan Marino had been QB, would he have won the Super Bowl?
How about Montana, Elway, Brady?

I don't know that Manning can get it done in a big game. There is still some story to tell so we'll see...

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001

That's true, but Dan Marion never really had a good cast of characters around him. He certainly didn't have much of a running game.

Last year, Peyton's team was awesome. He had one of the best receivers - a great RB - good O-line and a great defense.

I don't know. Did most of the teams that those QB's play for did the HeadCoach lose a son that was close to the team at playoff time? Not to mention they loss to the Steelers by a fieldgoal who were the eventual NFL champs.

Look back over the years. Most QB's have a good 10 or so years to win it all. Indy's D was horrid for many of those years. Then you have New England which was a "dynasty" type team come in and win it all for a lot of years.

Sometime it's just not meant to happen. He still has some good years ahead of him though. But to call him overrated? Nah. He's a great QB that most teams would kill for.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002

I don't know that Manning can get it done in a big game. There is still some story to tell so we'll see...

Good oline? Did you watch the Steelers-Colts playoff game? :confused:

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Another vote for Vick. I think Vince Young could possibly be better than him already. A running Quarterback is a great double threat, considering you can actually complete more than 40% of your passes, unlike Vick.

Warren Sapp also comes to mind.

bigdog1218

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2001
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
TO

Agreed. He's a cancer to any team he's on.

TO is one of the hardest working players on the field and his numbers show he is far from overrated. He might be an a$$ but he puts up great numbers.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: bigdog1218
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
TO

Agreed. He's a cancer to any team he's on.

TO is one of the hardest working players on the field and his numbers show he is far from overrated. He might be an a$$ but he puts up great numbers.

Again, you miss the TEAM concept. He pissess off just about everyone on the team and no one likes to play with him. He calls out his QB and coaching staff. He's a cancer to a team and will only bring them down. He signs a contract and then wants more money a year into it? He's a flippin idiot and way overrated. He's not worth the headache.