Overrated NFL Players

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bennylong

Platinum Member
Apr 20, 2006
Originally posted by: aswedc
Originally posted by: herkulease

McNabb is up there too. sure he made 3 straight NFC championships but what does he have now. No receiving core. a suspect running game. the guy just won't admit he needs TO. He got paid that's why he didn't have any problems. If I remember correctly in owens 1.5 seasons as a eagle he has more catches, yards, tds than their current receiving core has combined in their careers.
How the hell is that his fault? If anything, you made an argument for how great McNabb is to be able to get to those championships with such weak surrounding players.

Exactly. McNabb didn't play with Emmitt Smith, Michael Irvin, Jay Noverck, and one of the greatest offensive line in the history of the game like Troy Aikman, but people still say Aikman is one of the greatest QB. If you put Aikman with what McNabb had to work with, that's not even a playoff team

SuperSix

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: manly
Originally posted by: sash1
Michael Vick - Running QBs are only good in college (ala Vince Young). He has no arm strength/accuracy
I've been saying Michael Vick is overrated for a while, but he's got one of the best cannons in the NFL. Still, I haven't written him off yet. The (multi) million dollar question is if he can grow into a true NFL quarterback as other mobile players, such as Steve Young or Randall Cunningham, had to in order to achieve success.

Peyton Manning is overrated in the sense that the Colts offense can run up the score during the regular season, but they always get clamped down at some point in the playoffs.

Gee, like the Buccaneers did when Dungy coached them? See a pattern?

Vick? Cannon? Sure, he can throw a long ball, just not accurate enough to connect with anyone.

I vote for Vick, but his popularity is waning quickly.

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by: jjsole
Brian Urlacher!

uhmmm, NOT!

I'd agree that he's overrated. NFL def player of the year? He's fast and chases people down, but doesn't fill the hole like you'd expect a good MLB to do. Look at that highlight film, there's a late hit/pile diving, chasing QBs down after protection's broken down (coverage sacks) chasing guys down after big gains, impressive that he catches them, yes, but it would be more impressive to make more ordinary tackles at the line of scrimmage.

Suture

Sep 17, 2003
Michael Vick immediately comes to mind. I want to say Eli, but I want to give him a chance. They threw that kid to the wolves, and with selfish recievers like Shockey and Burress, that isn't going to help.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: herkulease
Brett Favre now.

the farve 1-2 years before superbowl and 1-2 years after losing in the superbowl I will say the hype is warranted but since he has gone down the crapper.

But there are some sports people like Madden who can't help but jack off to Brett they can shut up about him.

after brett i will say Vick.

all he has is his legs. He has the arm strength but horrible accuracy. he's screwed the minute he faces a legit defense that traps him and forces him to throw.

McNabb is up there too. sure he made 3 straight NFC championships but what does he have now. No receiving core. a suspect running game. the guy just won't admit he needs TO. He got paid that's why he didn't have any problems. If I remember correctly in owens 1.5 seasons as a eagle he has more catches, yards, tds than their current receiving core has combined in their careers.

I don't know how brett is overrated, that would mean people would actually expect great things from him. I don't expect much from Brett. Whoever rates him high is an idiot and shouldn't be rating anybody.

That said, I'd like to see Brett have a great year, then retire.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
How about a most over-rated coaches category: Marv Levy. Sure, he got the Bills to the Superbowl 4 times in a row. Mickey Mouse could have coached that team - one of the most talent loaded teams of the time. GM should get the credit for assembling those guys together on one team. They'd have beaten the Giants if it wasn't for Levy's coaching. You wouldn't hear stories about players on that team being out all night before the superbowl... you wouldn't have players losing their helmets on the sidelines and missing plays during the superbowl...

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Originally posted by: DrPizza
How about a most over-rated coaches category: Marv Levy. Sure, he got the Bills to the Superbowl 4 times in a row...

Hrm, that kinda eliminates the rest of your argument i think :p

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
Originally posted by: Excelsior
Originally posted by: Garet Jax
Originally posted by: LikeLinus
How about Peyton Manning? Can you say someone is overrated if he is one of the best players in the league simply because he hasn't won a Super Bowl?

Not a chance. Would you say Dan Marino was over rated? There are many great QB's out there that just didn't win the big one. It's a team sport = you win as a team.

That's true, but Dan Marion never really had a good cast of characters around him. He certainly didn't have much of a running game.

Last year, Peyton's team was awesome. He had one of the best receivers - a great RB - good O-line and a great defense.

If Dan Marino had been QB, would he have won the Super Bowl?
How about Montana, Elway, Brady?

I don't know that Manning can get it done in a big game. There is still some story to tell so we'll see...

Good oline? Did you watch the Steelers-Colts playoff game? :confused:

Winner. Someone actually watched the playoffs instead of spouting off what ESPN told them. Peyton is a big man in my book for not throwing his O line under the bus to the press whenever they screwed up hardcore. If you watch the game the difference in time he had in that game versus most others is extraordinary.

jlbenedict

Banned
Jul 10, 2005
Originally posted by: jacktackle
Originally posted by: bigdog1218
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
TO

Agreed. He's a cancer to any team he's on.

TO is one of the hardest working players on the field and his numbers show he is far from overrated. He might be an a$$ but he puts up great numbers.

Again, you miss the TEAM concept. He pissess off just about everyone on the team and no one likes to play with him. He calls out his QB and coaching staff. He's a cancer to a team and will only bring them down. He signs a contract and then wants more money a year into it? He's a flippin idiot and way overrated. He's not worth the headache.

No one ever claimed TO was a great teammate, everyone knows he's a dick, so he can't be overrated in that aspect. Certainly can't call him overrated for what he does on the field either, therefore, TO is not overrated. He is perfectly rated :p - Everyone know's what you're getting into when you sign TO. Dallas needs him though, even with him they're probably not a superbowl contender. I understand the point you're trying to prove though.

How many games did play last year? If you're not on the field to play - how the heck can you be a good player? :)

Dallas does need him. But it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

"Owens missed the team's ninth practice of training camp after enduring a few that didn't go so well. He and quarterback Drew Bledsoe had trouble connecting, prompting several one-on-one chats between them and between Owens and coach Bill Parcells."

If he and Drew cannot get on the same page...let the disaster begin. It's only 10 days into training camp though, so they have a lot of time to work it out. Dallas says they aren't playing well because the D is playing great. lol

Nice way to contort the truth LikeLinus. Thats typical P&N tactics.. but, good job nevertheless...

The article states, TO tweaked a hamstring.. but was still at practice riding the bicycle on the sidelines, in addition to working with the medicine ball, doing situps and catching balls. TO also stayed after practice to work with a rookie reciever..
Jerry Jones also stated he didn't want TO pushed too much..

"OXNARD, Calif. (AP) -- Terrell Owens did something Thursday he's never done before -- missed practice because of a hamstring problem.
"I wouldn't say I'm injured, just a little sore," Owens said after spending of most of the workout on an exercise bicycle. "We're just taking a precaution."
Owens said he first felt a twinge Wednesday. He's not sure whether he'll be ready to practice Friday, when two workouts are scheduled, or Saturday, when there will be a controlled scrimmage.
"This is my first time ever having to deal with a hamstring, so it's new to me," Owens said. "I never really know what to expect."

"We thought we'd be better served to let him not push off on it today," Jones said. "We are being sensitive to it and we are watching it. For a guy who is renowned for playing hurt, renowned for working hard and wanting to be out here, we don't have any concerns."

Wearing a hooded sweat shirt, shorts and a wrap on his left thigh, Owens pedaled slowly for more than an hour. Trainers also put him on the ground for a sit-up drill and another with a medicine ball, then got him on the field for various leg lifts and some movements against a resistance band.

Between drills, he had a seemingly lighthearted talk with Jones for several minutes, with Jones pointing to his own hamstring at one point. They shook hands and Jones tapped a punch on Owens' shoulder as they parted."

"Owens stopped a few times to watch some plays. During a water break near the end of practice, Owens got off his bike and walked over to coach Bill Parcells. Owens stood with his hands on his hips most of the time, then headed back to the bike with a huge smile.

"I told him I'll try to get back as quick as I can, but at the same time he wants me healthy," Owens said. "He knows I'm not going to be any good sitting on the sidelines."

After practice, Owens put on gloves and caught some lobs while the rest of the receivers went through an extra drill. He hung around for about another half-hour to work with undrafted rookie Sam Hurd. Owens threw him lob passes, then gave Hurd some pointers to correct a flaw in his mechanics.

"Everyone has a negative perception of me as a team player, so obviously they think I'm doing extra things to change people's minds, but that's not the case," Owens said, adding that he worked with young players in San Francisco and Philadelphia, too.

This was the team's ninth practice, and the last few didn't go so well for the offense. Owens and quarterback Drew Bledsoe had trouble connecting, prompting several one-on-one chats between them and between Owens and Parcells.

Parcells said Thursday the passing game hasn't been crisp because the defense is playing great. The defensive line is far ahead of an offensive line that's still taking shape and the cornerbacks "are covering so well that we're having trouble," Parcells said.

"Maybe that's his assessment," Owens said. "I think each and every day we go out and compete. I feel like we're all being competitive."

TO Misses Practice Due To Tweaked Hammie

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
T.O. always works hard? Ask Mariucci or other players from the 49'ers his last couple of years with that team about his great work habit.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
Originally posted by: thepd7
Originally posted by: Excelsior
How about Peyton Manning? Can you say someone is overrated if he is one of the best players in the league simply because he hasn't won a Super Bowl?

Not a chance. Would you say Dan Marino was over rated? There are many great QB's out there that just didn't win the big one. It's a team sport = you win as a team.

That's true, but Dan Marion never really had a good cast of characters around him. He certainly didn't have much of a running game.

Last year, Peyton's team was awesome. He had one of the best receivers - a great RB - good O-line and a great defense.

If Dan Marino had been QB, would he have won the Super Bowl?
How about Montana, Elway, Brady?

I don't know that Manning can get it done in a big game. There is still some story to tell so we'll see...

Good oline? Did you watch the Steelers-Colts playoff game? :confused:

Winner. Someone actually watched the playoffs instead of spouting off what ESPN told them. Peyton is a big man in my book for not throwing his O line under the bus to the press whenever they screwed up hardcore. If you watch the game the difference in time he had in that game versus most others is extraordinary.

Are you for real? Payton DID throw the blame on his O-line and didn't take any responsibility for the fact that HE is the one that calls the blocking schemes when he audibles. He didn't read the defense properly and called plays that put his O-line at a disadvantage.

Exhibit A:

?Let?s just say we had some problems in protection," Manning said. "I?ll give Pittsburgh credit for their blitzes and their rush, but we did have some protection problems.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: jlbenedict

Nice way to contort the truth LikeLinus. Thats typical P&N tactics.. but, good job nevertheless...

WOW you're a freaking retard. I didn't quote the whole article because my argument wasn't WHY he isn't playing, it was the fact that him and Bledsoe haven't had a good connection so far. Did you even freaking READ what I wrote? Let me quote it again for the ignorant.

"If he and Drew cannot get on the same page...let the disaster begin. It's only 10 days into training camp though, so they have a lot of time to work it out. Dallas says they aren't playing well because the D is playing great. lol"

I never "contorted" the truth idiot. Take your BS somewhere else and learn to read the context of a post, not just the content.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong
Exhibit A:

?Let?s just say we had some problems in protection," Manning said. "I?ll give Pittsburgh credit for their blitzes and their rush, but we did have some protection problems.

Where did you get that from? What was the question that prompted that answer. Gotta give more than just pulling one line from something and saying he was talking smack a bout his team.

jlbenedict

Banned
Jul 10, 2005
Originally posted by: jlbenedict

WOW you're a freaking retard. I didn't quote the whole article because my argument wasn't WHY he isn't playing, it was the fact that him and Bledsoe haven't had a good connection so far. Did you even freaking READ what I wrote? Let me quote it again for the ignorant.

"If he and Drew cannot get on the same page...let the disaster begin. It's only 10 days into training camp though, so they have a lot of time to work it out. Dallas says they aren't playing well because the D is playing great. lol"

I never "contorted" the truth idiot. Take your BS somewhere else and learn to read the context of a post, not just the content.

*yawn*
Get off your high horse..
Most quarterbacks are not on the same page with their receivers at the beginning of camp.. nice way to turn it around though, and bash TO

And whats up with the name calling? Is it really called for? Or is that your level of communication?