OUYA - New "open" console?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
I don't get it, if an emulator is it's only selling point, isn't that on it's face violating copyright laws?

From everything I've read about emulators, the game software end of it is basically saying that you should actually own a physical copy first, or the rights to the game have expired do to time (vaporware)

Obviously the chances of you being sued is pretty small, but it doesn't make it right.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Considering I can do everything it does now with almost anything else, it's not even a good reason to buy it anyway. Seriously, if this is the best kickstarter ever, and I had thrown in for it, I'd seriously reconsider ever putting into kickstarter again. These people should be hung from the rafters for the ruse.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
nice link to an unavailable video.

Here's a mirror. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKFVniVk95I

Context: Rocco is the lead reviewer of an online video game news outlet (Mega64), and he bought an Ouya a few weeks ago to play games on it and review it legitimately.

When he realized he couldn't download anything on it, he waited for the Ouya devs to roll out a patch fixing the issue. They didn't, and he promised that if another week went buy without a fix, he would literally pee on it. So he did.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Here's a mirror. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKFVniVk95I

Context: Rocco is the lead reviewer of an online video game news outlet (Mega64), and he bought an Ouya a few weeks ago to play games on it and review it legitimately.

When he realized he couldn't download anything on it, he waited for the Ouya devs to roll out a patch fixing the issue. They didn't, and he promised that if another week went buy without a fix, he would literally pee on it. So he did.

Awesome...lol

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
This thing is fading into irrelevance isn't it? How are sales? The fact this thread is barely moving says something.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/ways-ouya-console-failed,review-1881.html

When this thing came out, everyone said nobody's going to want to play phone games on their TV. Guess they were right.

Every single early review for the Kickstarter units pointed out the problems mentioned in this Tom's article. Ouya promised they would be fixed by the time the system launched to retail. Except they never did, and the console still sucks. I've also heard HD media playback is still finicky with it.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
This thing is fading into irrelevance isn't it? How are sales? The fact this thread is barely moving says something.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/ways-ouya-console-failed,review-1881.html

little research (since there are no hard numbers) Amazon still #2 in Hot releases.. keep in mind this is not the "top 100" its selling about the same as extra 360 controlers. Not bad, not good.

Target could not keep up with orders to start as ouya couldn't provide enough.. but that number is a big mystery, did target want 100,000 or 10,000? as they couldn't keep up with the original demand for the pre-orders.

I was a pretty big believer to start.. I think its a good idea as I'm one of the 'dont want to play on a matchbook cover" persons, so thought the TV would be nice.. but honestly I just use for streaming..

so no answers here.. just some vague ideas from some google searches that clear nothing up.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I'd say they are having some big problems with marketing. I haven't heard anything outside this thread about it: not bad, not good, nothing. I can ask anyone in the US if they've heard of an Xbox, and they would say yes. An OUYA? I have friends who are gamers that couldn't answer 'yes' to that question.

Besides that, it really isn't powerful enough to play games that aren't on phones already. So, besides the remakes of older console games that don't translate well to a touch screen (ie: all of them after Pong), there doesn't seem to be a real market for them. Nobody is going to pay $99 to play Angry Birds on their TV.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Little bump on the thread, how are sales--anybody know? Wiki didn't have much on them. This thing has 439 reviews on amazon with a 3.5/5 rating right now.

I just went to ouya.com and it advertises 508 games available. That is kind of indicative of a problem: quantity over quality. I am betting no more than 10 of them are actually worth a damn.

I know it does things a 360 can't, in theory, but really you can get a 360 now new for $80 more and it's a thousand times the console.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
There is a lightning deal on Ouya on amazon right now for next 19 hours. It's 10% off. 2% claimed are so far. Yikes.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
I love how this thing died despite reddit's claim this would revolutionize gaming.

Fulle

Aug 18, 2008
The Ouya just came a little early, IMHO. The Tegra 3 SOC in it, is good enough to just about adequately run XBMC (certainly better than a rasberry pi or something), and it can just barely run some decent looking Android games on a big screen, but everything comes in without a whole lot of speed to spare.

It's still an interesting choice, since you can easily side load apps into it vs some other inexpensive Android TV solutions that make it difficult, and it has good plug and play with 3rd party controllers. It's just a pity they won't let you buy just the Ouya, and they bundle it with the POS controller.

I think that if the Ouya can stick in there, it can potentially end up being a pretty interesting platform, seeing how fast little SOCs improve every year.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
The problem with the ouya is no one wants to play mobile games on a TV with a controller.

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
Hardly any games for Android are made for a controller and that will remain since the main method of control on mobile devices is touch. I wonder how the Shield is fairing.

I think the Ouya could make a decent emulator box for old console games, I'd much rather have that then my modded Xbox because of the wireless controllers and HDMI. (this gives me any idea, maybe I should see if anyone would trade).

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
sales of games are at about 7-9% per units sold, actually higher then phone and tablet sales (per units sold) so its a success that way. but as the "guess" on units sold is in the 120,000 in oct with a guess of about 150,000 now.. there is little incentive to port or make games for the system.

as for the amazon sale (10%) off, that's not sale as some units are already marked at $89 in other places as a regular price.

I love mine as a streaming box, android has the hacks, and they are simple to load. No more cinvera (or whatever is on the sony boxes) no more unsupported codac and formats on the Ms XBOX's... it does it all, well. Sure there are many streaming boxes around the same price, but none do it all as well. the upside is some games are actually fun to play, and when they are not on a tiny screen us old guys can play um too..

success, nope, fun to mess with, yes..

Last edited:

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
I would never use one for gaming but is it possible to use it as a DLNA server and NAS? Just completely stand alone sitting in a closet?

Edit: so xbmc can be loaded on the ouya. Can it run that AND a NAS and FTP in parallel?

Last edited:

alangrift

May 21, 2013
It's a great console for kids and has the google play store built in. So you can get on YouTube and Netflix and stuff like that. It is quite the nifty cheap system.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
Anyone have one of these and still really play/use it? Anyone donate and regret it?