OUYA - New "open" console?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
If I've learned anything from this...
Step 1. Create kickstarter page with project that takes a popular tech and promise to make a game machine with it. Also claim mysterious game devs are onboard without giving any names, therefore unlibel for anything.
Step 2. Sit and wait for money to roll in.
Step 3. Announce wasn't able to complete project due to lawsuits from "the evil corporations that don't want freedom"
Step 4 take money and run.
Anyone want to get in on this?

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Step 1. Create kickstarter page with project that takes a popular tech and promise to make a game machine with it. Also claim mysterious game devs are onboard without giving any names, therefore unlibel for anything.
Step 3. Announce wasn't able to complete project due to lawsuits from "the evil corporations that don't want freedom"

Lets call our console the booya!

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
If they actually put a decent SOC into this, im interested. With tegra 3, its gonna have to have other features to draw me in. hey it cant be as bad the the google nexus Q right?

What i would really like is a game that i can play on my TV, and then when im out, still be able to play that same game if i want to - obviously not the same experience, but close.

The Sega Nomad was my dream system back in the day. I never got one, but i couldnt imagine a more perfect system. I would dream about playing shining force two ANYWHERE!!! lol

Right now im playing borderlands, and i would love to be able to play a little from my phone when im bored, and then resume when i get home. someday....

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012

A lot of people I know got excited over this and already added money. Myself, I was skeptical on the get go. $99 for a console that targets F2P games (indie and such), make me wonder where the selling point is? Especially when there is no titles for it yet, and still just a prototype.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
The Sega Nomad was my dream system back in the day. I never got one, but i couldnt imagine a more perfect system. I would dream about playing shining force two ANYWHERE!!! lol

I had one of those, and yes... it was pretty sweet. If I remember correctly, you could even hook it up to a TV, and it was just like a Genesis! I vaguely remember doing this at my grandma's house with Sonic.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
Lets call our console the booya!

Only if we can offer an elite version called "Exxtreme Booya" with an extra special version for sponsors of $1000 or more call "Exxxtreme Booya In your FACE!"

Otherwise I'm in, I'll create the paypal, you create the kickstarter page!

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
Only if we can offer an elite version called "Exxtreme Booya" with an extra special version for sponsors of $1000 or more call "Exxxtreme Booya In your FACE!"

Otherwise I'm in, I'll create the paypal, you create the kickstarter page!

I will work on the advertising to get people to find the link of our kickstarter page.

Lets do it!

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
This actually looks appealing to me if it releases. The product page seems to encourage rooting, which would allow side loading which gives it a library of thousands of games on day one. Now, many of those are indeed Angry Birds types, but that would also include emulators for all of my old favorite systems. Right now using the Wii Retro contoller through blue tooth running through my phone to my TV is functional, but having $100 dedicated box doesn't sound terrible to me.

With all of that said, it isn't interesting enough to get me to back it as a Kickstart, when it ships and I can see how it actually all plays out then I could be very interested.

If they actually put a decent SOC into this, im interested. With tegra 3, its gonna have to have other features to draw me in.

Tegra3 with a ~4Watt power envelope would be a very different beast then the ones we see in phones.

Bobisuruncle54

Oct 19, 2011
This is bandwagon-ing at its very best.

Ride of the hype of mediocre products (Tegra 3) and offer the idea some kind of hipster game console all based on "freedom" and other superbly awesome unquantifiable buzzwords.

It's smartphone hardware for crying out loud, at the very best this will be the equivalent of a PS Vita linked up to your TV but without the publishers pouring in big bucks to bring any AAA titles.

There are also many superior alternative streaming devices if you take a few minutes to look around.

Last edited:

Bryf50

Golden Member
Nov 11, 2006
Tegra3 with a ~4Watt power envelope would be a very different beast then the ones we see in phones.
Unfortunately Tegra 3 has the worst memory bandwidth of all the modern SOCs. They can up the clocks all they want with little to no performance gain.

tipoo

Oct 4, 2012
I'm not sure how good the execution will be, but I'm keenly interested in this. The concept of an open console is appealing, but I'm not sure developers will like the 30% cut of profits they take. Anyways, dev kits are shipping now, some new pictures and videos are out of the special clear dev kit version.

Bottom vents
1xMQs.jpg

top vents
l8e7Q.jpg

So no direct intake/exhaust, but heck, the Tegra 3 runs on smartphones and tablets, it should be fine with that much cooling and the fan being directly on it.

Controller bumper/triggers
j8iQA.jpg

and the buttons and trackpad
igeT3.jpg

Last edited:

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The concept of an open console is appealing, but I'm not sure developers will like the 30% cut of profits they take.

I think we would find most devs dancing naked in the streets if publishers offered them that deal.

Ride of the hype of mediocre products (Tegra 3) and offer the idea some kind of hipster game console all based on "freedom" and other superbly awesome unquantifiable buzzwords.

In know you made that post four months ago, but I just couldn't resist replying. The strength of the platform is that it can draw in people who couldn't afford to develop for the larger systems. Think of this as the best homebrew console ever released along with being a streaming device and having games released by some of the big publishers for it(Squeenix is on board).

Unfortunately Tegra 3 has the worst memory bandwidth of all the modern SOCs.

Errr, it's an SoC, ramp up the clocks you get more bandwidth, linear even. Even if T3 was 100% bandwidth limited, if you ramp up the clock 20%, you get 20% more bandwidth. Raising the power envelope can improve every performance metric.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
#1 problem. If you can't afford to develop for Xbox or PS3, why not do Xbox Live Indie Gaming? Oh...cause nobody makes money off it there and the Xbox install base is huge. What about targeting PC? Just release the game on your website and advertise on forums all over the place? How many people have a PC? Way more than will buy this crap.

If you won't use the already well established ways to publish your game I am betting you don't have any game to publish anyway (iOS or Android too)and your looking at other issues than simply "I cannot afford the PS3 dev kit".

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Oh...cause nobody makes money off it there and the Xbox install base is huge.

We are closing in on seven years of the XBox being out. In Q4 of 2012 Android moved close to double the amount of devices that the 360 has in its' lifespan. Huge? Kind of closer to tiny if you want to look at big picture numbers. And noone makes money?

http://www.indiegamethemovie.com/press/

Indy games are making some people quite wealthy on XBLA.

#1 problem. If you can't afford to develop for Xbox or PS3, why not do Xbox Live Indie Gaming?

Complexity is a big reason. Dealing with the 360 is a lot more difficult then with an Android device. You don't need several people taking years to make a decent Android game, which is the case on the 360. Some people pull it off, and do extremely well with it. Ouya makes the entry barrier much lower.

What about targeting PC? Just release the game on your website and advertise on forums all over the place? How many people have a PC? Way more than will buy this crap.

Try being an indy dev on the PC, most estimates are pushing into the 90% piracy rate. The question is how many people will *buy* a game for the platform. The 360 is a legit argument, the PC much less so. Every once in a while you get a Notch, but that is becoming exceedingly rare.

If you won't use the already well established ways to publish your game

I'd wager we will see new good indie developers pop up because of this console.

tipoo

Oct 4, 2012
Try being an indy dev on the PC, most estimates are pushing into the 90% piracy rate. The question is how many people will *buy* a game for the platform. The 360 is a legit argument, the PC much less so. Every once in a while you get a Notch, but that is becoming exceedingly rare.

This is not only Android based, but it's made to be open and hackable. I doubt piracy will be less of a problem on it than the PC.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Whatever I said earlier in this thread may end up being total bullsh*t. I hope it is, just to be a positive person :) I am not sure I'll get a "second rate" console, as there are too many games on 360 (and 720 or ps4 next), but if they can get this to market it may be interesting after all.

tipoo

Oct 4, 2012
I think people are missing that it doesn't have the current console trifecta in its crosshairs. It's meant to be a great indie platform. It won't sell in numbers close to the PS3/360/Wii U, but that doesn't mean it won't be a success in the niche it's aimed at.

It's sort of like comparing a new Linux distro to Windows and OSX, two are mass market with already massive companies backing them, the former fits a niche.

As someone learning Android programming in uni right now I find it interesting, once it's completed the 100 dollar console will come with the entire development kit too, so there's very low risk for a completely new dev. No publishing fee either, just a 30% cut of any sales. Very startup friendly.

Last edited:

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
This is not only Android based, but it's made to be open and hackable. I doubt piracy will be less of a problem on it than the PC.

You can pirate games on the console just like the PC too, just people aren't nearly as likely to do it. Will it happen? Of course it will. Will it be as bad as PCs? I guess time will tell, console users do tend to have a rather significantly better track record on that count then their PC counterparts.

As someone learning Android programming in uni right now I find it interesting, once it's completed the 100 dollar console will come with the entire development kit too, so there's very low risk for a completely new dev. No publishing fee either, just a 30% cut of any sales. Very startup friendly.

My kids' high school teaches Android app development, I'm sure the teacher would love to use this to get the interest going. Great way to encourage kids and keep them focused if they are working on a game(all while learning far more then they are likely to doing yet another app for one of the various department heads in the school).

tipoo

Oct 4, 2012
You can pirate games on the console just like the PC too, just people aren't nearly as likely to do it. Will it happen? Of course it will. Will it be as bad as PCs? I guess time will tell, console users do tend to have a rather significantly better track record on that count then their PC counterparts.
\

Last I checked it's still pretty difficult to pirate 360 and PS3 games, I don't know if it's even possible on the latter yet? And with each revision of the hardware it gets harder so sometimes only the early revisions work, ie the RRoD prone early 360s, and even then it requires some difficult dissassembly and buying parts.

The difference here being the Ouya is wide open by design. One can literally just plug it into thier PC and side load any Android game onto it. I saw a developer video on how to download APKs from the web and run them on it without ANY modification whatsoever. Plus owners of this won't be standard console owners, they will be tech savvy individuals mostly, that's the niche. You are right that only time will tell, but it's certainly a development risk.

Last edited: