OUYA - New "open" console?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
Did anyone else get a chuckle out of them being in the parking lot at the upcoming E3? I know that they are saying they will be in a public area so people can try it out, but the idea that they will be out in the parking lot while the big boys are inside the building gave me a good laugh.

Im going to risk sounding like im defending the OUYA.. but..

IN E3 chance to play any game .0001% if you play said game, you play for 1-5 minutes and are kicked off.

Depending (huge what if) on how they set it up, it sounds like the plan to LET ANYBODY have a go.. not just the few lucky in E3 who risk not getting games/hardware for there lively hood and reviews if they badmouth a product from a BIG manufacture.. You have to believe in your product some if you don't hand pick who gets to play and talk about it..

we have a phone, we have a tablet.. i cant see many of those people wanting a OUYA.. again Im saying Nitch.. I have no love for simple little games.. the web has had um free for years.. at $.99 or $4.99 they seem to high priced to me :) but there is some small appeal to an actual controller to play some of them.

My biggest hope is the quite awesome small time indy market is really kicking into gear and showing off some good stuff in the last few years.. Anything that can add devs and games to the mix. With MS all but forgetting the indies, and Sony and Nintendo s lack luster attempts.. its just STEAM.. one more cant hurt, should be a WIN for gamers..

RedRooster

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
If it runs XBMC faster than all the Android on a stick junk out right now, I think this thing could penetrate bedrooms as a media device. Android has potential over Roku/WDTV, but right now its just so dang slow with the hardware its on.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
If it runs XBMC faster than all the Android on a stick junk out right now, I think this thing could penetrate bedrooms as a media device. Android has potential over Roku/WDTV, but right now its just so dang slow with the hardware its on.

hit up youtube, the devs of XBMC have a few videos up of it running on OUYA, looked good, in the comments section they even said they had not spent time making it run smooth yet, but it looked good and speedy to me. Just dont pay attention to the other videos of games..nothing to see here, move along..

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
I don't understand why everyone is still so excited about XBMC. It was awesome back when Xbox was around but now there are tons of set top boxes that play just about everything including many blu ray players that everyone has (I can understand not having a Roku). I have a Panasonic Blu Ray that I bought 6 months ago or so. Plays anything but my grip is the interface is slow as hell and the youtube app sucks because you can not rewind or ff. Starts from the beginning all the time.

RedRooster

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
I don't understand why everyone is still so excited about XBMC. It was awesome back when Xbox was around but now there are tons of set top boxes that play just about everything including many blu ray players that everyone has (I can understand not having a Roku). I have a Panasonic Blu Ray that I bought 6 months ago or so. Plays anything but my grip is the interface is slow as hell and the youtube app sucks because you can not rewind or ff. Starts from the beginning all the time.

You haven't used it lately, have you?
If a box could run it fast and streams came up quickly, like the Ouya looks it might be able to do, my WDTV would collect dust.

blackdogdeek

Lifer
Mar 14, 2003
OUYA gaming console sells out on Amazon

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/25/tech/gaming-gadgets/ouya-amazon-sold-out/index.html?iref=allsearch

Well, that was quick. Just hours after going on sale in the U.S., Canada and the UK, the OUYA gaming console was already sold out Tuesday morning on Amazon, though other retailers still had it in stock.

Amazon, which was selling the device for $99, told customers that the item was temporarily out of stock. However, as of Tuesday morning, Target and Best Buy were still carrying OUYA. GameStop noted that the item was "currently unavailable."

SEE ALSO: 7 Gadgets for the Ultimate Connected Living Room

OUYA launched on Kickstarter as an open gaming console that anyone could develop for or hack as they see fit, all for a $99 price tag. The Kickstarter hit its $900,000 funding goal in eight hours, and broke Kickstarter records after raising $8.6 million total. Earlier this year, OUYA's creators announced that the console would be widely available at retail stores in June.

READ: OUYA's profile on CNN 10: Startups to watch

Kickstarter backers, meanwhile, began receiving their OUYA consoles in April.

This article originally appeared on Mashable.

It's actually available at my local Best Buy.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008

If a set top box could match the functionality of XBMC, I'd have one instead of an HTPC.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
OUYA gaming console sells out on Amazon

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/25/tech/gaming-gadgets/ouya-amazon-sold-out/index.html?iref=allsearch

It's actually available at my local Best Buy.

Same at my local Best Buys. Reviewers at Engadget, The Verge, and PC Magazine have heavily critized it for clunky software, shoddy UIs, nonexistant games, and a poor controller design. Its still an interesting product, but its woefully under spec'd with a Tegra 3. Its my opinion they should have gotten into bed with Nvidia, after MS/Sony went AMD, and made the OUYA a Tegra 4 launch platform.

I also saw at E3 that MadCatz was going to bring their own Android based game console to market, called the Mojo. Its small, has the requisite number of ports, but doesn't have a price tag yet and Mad Catz is being tight lipped on the SoC before their Q4 launch.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
Reviews on the Ouya have been very mixed so far. Guess they didn't fix all the issues with the Kickstarter units. Most of the criticism centres on the Tegra 3's poor gaming performance and a lack of games in general.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
I am surprised Amazon even carried it to be honest.

I assume most of the advertised-available 195 games are completely without any redeeming value at all.

3.5/5 on amazon right now, including a lot of 1 stars from kickstarter backers.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
From what I've seen, the Nvidia Shield offering looks better. Kind of a shame. Maybe this thing will take off as it's own niche item once it's been around a bit, but...

fr

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
They should go public while they have some press and hype... and before they fold.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
If they actually put a decent SOC into this, im interested. With tegra 3, its gonna have to have other features to draw me in. hey it cant be as bad the the google nexus Q right?

What i would really like is a game that i can play on my TV, and then when im out, still be able to play that same game if i want to - obviously not the same experience, but close.

The Sega Nomad was my dream system back in the day. I never got one, but i couldnt imagine a more perfect system. I would dream about playing shining force two ANYWHERE!!! lol

Right now im playing borderlands, and i would love to be able to play a little from my phone when im bored, and then resume when i get home. someday....

I still have my Nomad. Don't worry you didn't miss anything. Unless 6 x AA batteries to play for 30 minutes is a big deal to you :p

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010

blackdogdeek

Lifer
Mar 14, 2003
CNN/Fortune didn't like it but they indicated it has improved since the launch issues. It also says that the OUYA houses a quad-core Nvidia chip.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/07/12/ouyas-99-game-console-isnt-worth-it-yet/?iid=GM

FORTUNE -- Given my disappointment over the Wii U and the traditional gaming industry's trend toward iterative games with bigger budgets, I wanted to love the Ouya because it stood for everything the company and competitors like Sony (SNE), Microsoft (MSFT), and Nintendo did not. But after some time with the indie console, I realize it too has a long way to go.

To quickly recap, the Ouya is a $99 piece of gaming hardware from industry vet Julie Uhrman and designed by Yves Behar. It remains one of Kickstarter's biggest success stories, raising just shy of $8.6 million. Because it runs on Google's (GOOG) open-source Android operating system, almost anyone with a burning desire to code can make games for it. Which is why over 12,000 developers, including Final Fantasy creator Square Enix, pledged support and readied 200 games for the Ouya's launch late last month.

MORE: A reorganized Microsoft looks a lot like Apple

Several reviews of early Ouya units lauded the concept but panned the controller and interface. (One popular videogame site plainly called it "dog sh-t." When Fortune spoke with Uhrman this May, she admitted those units were not ready for review and that she's taken their feedback into account. It looks as though the startup has, tightening up the software and those trigger buttons on the side of the controller.

Yet there's still more work to be done. In person, I liked Ouya's aluminum-clad good looks, but the controller could use further tweaking. It looks premium but handles like a cheap third-party Nyko controller. The two analog joysticks feel too loose; the direction pad is so stiff it becomes uncomfortable after a few presses. It's basically passable, but that's about it. Players can connect third-party controllers to the device in lieu of the Ouya-provided device.
Shadow-GUn

The first-person shooter Shadowgun.

The software interface keeps things dead-simple with four categories on the main menu: Play (games), Discover (online store), Make (software development), and Manage (console settings). Behind the scenes, Ouya's team toiled up until launch to correct software bugs. And for the most part, getting around and buying and loading games is a simple experience, although I ran into some annoying quirks along the way. The Ouya software update failed on its first try -- it worked fine on the second -- and every so often, I got a random error while starting a game. If there's one saving grace, it's that everything briskly loads. Certainly navigation was far quicker than the Wii U, which still takes up to 30 seconds to load some nine months after its stateside release. In that respect, Uhrman made a good choice with Android.

MORE: Time to retire the word "disrupt"

There are 200-plus games already available, but few of the ones I've actually played proved compelling. The first-person shooter Shadowgun offered some decent eye candy that approximated PlayStation 2-level graphics, but with far cleaner and sharper textures on characters and their surroundings. Not too shabby given Ouya houses a quad-core Nvidia (NVDA) mobile chip used by some smartphones and tablets. I also enjoyed the combat-driven game ChronoBlade, which blends in some light role-playing elements like the ability to level-up your character's skills, but the action slowed and stuttered when there was a lot happening onscreen. Yet another title, Final Fantasy III, is fun to play too -- at least, if old-school Japanese role-playing games are your thing -- but it's basically the same game that's already available for the Nintendo (NTDOY) DS, plus or minus a few minor tweaks.

If you were going to spend $99 on an Ouya -- which for some is cheap enough to qualify as an impulse-purchase -- bear all that in mind. The controller is just passable, and the early software selection currently suffers from quantity over quality. As more games flood Ouya's online store, the software situation could change. And Uhrman has said we should expect a new and improved piece of hardware as soon as next year. But for now, Ouya version one remains a daring experiment that's too rough around the edges to endorse for anyone but indie developers and the earliest of early adopters.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
CNN and fortune are not gamers. They don't exclusively or extensively follow and report on the industry. Why do I care what they think at all.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
CNN and fortune are not gamers. They don't exclusively or extensively follow and report on the industry. Why do I care what they think at all.

If CNN and Fortune thought it was barely passable, imagine what actual gamers will think. They will hate it. You will get the few Andriod fanboys who love it no matter what and the few indie everything fanboys who will ignore everything wrong and love it because it wasn't made by a company that actually makes money.

Also, for $99, I can buy a PS2 with a good controller (at least quality wise) and have a catalog of like a hundred thousand games. I don't think the OUYA was as well thought out as it should have been.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
If CNN and Fortune thought it was barely passable, imagine what actual gamers will think. They will hate it. You will get the few Andriod fanboys who love it no matter what and the few indie everything fanboys who will ignore everything wrong and love it because it wasn't made by a company that actually makes money.

Also, for $99, I can buy a PS2 with a good controller (at least quality wise) and have a catalog of like a hundred thousand games. I don't think the OUYA was as well thought out as it should have been.

With the Ouya, you can pay the same price and have a catalogue of thousands of games with emulation.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
For the price of an Xbox One, you can buy 5 OUYA's and put them together to create the beginning of Skynet.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
With the Ouya, you can pay the same price and have a catalogue of thousands of games with emulation.

I highly doubt it can emulate PS2 quality games, since it spits out PS2 quality graphics. But, yes, you can use an emulator and pirate all those games on the Ouya.

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
The only good thing to say about this is that it is a fixed platform. It may have been apps than Android phones.