Outsourcing is Evil!!!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: ReiAyanami
i actually dislike outsourcing, but i don't see any clear solutions.

according to Cnet survey
80% of companies that outsourced abroad are dissatisfied with the results
20% actually do not save any money (the lose money by outsourcing)

feasible solutions:
1) invest in education "make our workers irreplaceable..."
2) offer tax incentives for companies to stay here
3) set up an anti-outsourcing organization that highlights companies that have outsourced so consumers can make the choice to not buy there products "made in america"
Three ideas:

1. Require all companies to publicize the make-up of their workforce, including all work they contract to other companies (coupled with your #3 to help improve awareness)

2. Eliminate tax breaks and subsidies for companies that off-shore their work (as opposed to tax incentives which are more expensive)

3. Prohibit government agencies from off-shoring any of their work

(Note: these are only concepts. There would be endless definitions, details, etc. necessary for implementation.)

Genesys

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2003
you know, i always figured that if I lost my job, id join the military pyes, im still rather young, and still have that option open to me, and i know that some/most dont] but i think its a matter of foolish pride or ignorance that the majority of the jobless dont give this idea consideration.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Genesys
you know, i always figured that if I lost my job, id join the military pyes, im still rather young, and still have that option open to me, and i know that some/most dont] but i think its a matter of foolish pride or ignorance that the majority of the jobless dont give this idea consideration.

That's a great idea, while at the same time it also helps republicans mask the real unemployment figures. ;)

Genesys

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2003
Originally posted by: jjsole

That's a great idea, while at the same time it also helps republicans mask the real unemployment figures. ;)

so youre saying that theyre not employed if theyre working for the govt doing military jobs and that the unemployment rate is atually higher than it is because its not counting all the active duty service peoples.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Genesys you know, i always figured that if I lost my job, id join the military pyes, im still rather young, and still have that option open to me, and i know that some/most dont] but i think its a matter of foolish pride or ignorance that the majority of the jobless dont give this idea consideration.
so youre saying that theyre not employed if theyre working for the govt doing military jobs and that the unemployment rate is atually higher than it is because its not counting all the active duty service peoples.

rephrased for respective clarification request: "helps republicans mask the real state of the weakened economy."

Genesys

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2003
Originally posted by: Genesys you know, i always figured that if I lost my job, id join the military pyes, im still rather young, and still have that option open to me, and i know that some/most dont] but i think its a matter of foolish pride or ignorance that the majority of the jobless dont give this idea consideration.

rephrased for respective clarification request: "helps republicans mask the real state of the weakened economy."

so, lets presume that people did join the military en masse. they would earn money. then they would spend that money. then wouldnt that help the economy grow, thus creating jobs?

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
so, lets presume that people did join the military en masse. they would earn money. then they would spend that money. then wouldnt that help the economy grow, thus creating jobs?

That is a good example of republican spending mentality - finance the cow with a maxxed credit card and claim economic recovery when it gets a little milk back.

With these economic principles, the government could hire everyone thats looking for work and you could claim a full recovery, if not a boom.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Bowfinger
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
Seems to me that things are looking up and comparatively weren't as bad as it's been in the past,
Only the very recent past, i.e., the term of the Bush-lite administration.

but maybe the "the sky is falling" rants are just more partisan noise to distract us from the truth that things are looking and getting better daily.

CkG
No, they really aren't. Yes, we are finally gaining back a few hundred thousand of the several million jobs lost in the last three years. Unfortunately, all jobs are NOT created equal. If you look at the big picture, there has been a steady drop in the number of "good" jobs. This overall loss has not been offset by the increasing number of mediocre jobs at places like Wal-Mart and McDonalds.

(And before you begin another of your knee-jerk partisan rants, this loss of good jobs began long before the Bush-lite administration. I am NOT claiming it is entirely his fault. However, the trend has accelerated under Bush's watch, Bush is in a position where he could try to do something about it, and he has failed to do so. In short, I hold Bush responsible for not doing anything to fix the problem, but not exclusively for creating the problem.)

Originally posted by: Bowfinger
Originally posted by: ReiAyanami
i actually dislike outsourcing, but i don't see any clear solutions.

according to Cnet survey
80% of companies that outsourced abroad are dissatisfied with the results
20% actually do not save any money (the lose money by outsourcing)

feasible solutions:
1) invest in education "make our workers irreplaceable..."
2) offer tax incentives for companies to stay here
3) set up an anti-outsourcing organization that highlights companies that have outsourced so consumers can make the choice to not buy there products "made in america"
Three ideas:

1. Require all companies to publicize the make-up of their workforce, including all work they contract to other companies (coupled with your #3 to help improve awareness)

2. Eliminate tax breaks and subsidies for companies that off-shore their work (as opposed to tax incentives which are more expensive)

3. Prohibit government agencies from off-shoring any of their work

(Note: these are only concepts. There would be endless definitions, details, etc. necessary for implementation.)

Two excellent posts Bowfinger.

You hit the nail on the head of the current Administration not doing enough to discourage the tidal wave of jobs sent overseas while the Companies take advantage of incentives for doing so via Government incentives.

Scientific Atlanta here in Atlanta just let go of nearly half of it's workforce, another sending of the jobs overseas while still operating as an American Company. Interestingly you don't see this anywhere in the News but you do see it here, I know this from Employees I know here that have been let go. I will add this to the DEPRESSION thread.

Speaking of the DEPRESSION thread, the conditions or circumstance may be different from the crash of 1929 but this continued exodus of good jobs and replacing with low jobs will have a similar result of lowering the quality of life and wages in the U.S. So despite the insistence of the AT Pundits that support this "New American Dream" wages are in fact going down because of the sheer volume of low paying jobs replacing good paying jobs.

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

Speaking of the DEPRESSION thread, the conditions or circumstance may be different from the crash of 1929 but this continued exodus of good jobs and replacing with low jobs will have a similar result of lowering the quality of life and wages in the U.S. So despite the insistence of the AT Pundits that support this "New American Dream" wages are in fact going down because of the sheer volume of low paying jobs replacing good paying jobs.

You're right, the conditions are different, because we're not in a depression. Sadly, you don't even know why we were in a depression in the 20's. You can't explain it. You say we need domestic manufacturing and jobs to be successful. Guess what we had in the 20's.

News flash Dave: companies have been outsourcing and offshoring jobs for years. This isn't something new that they recently discovered since Bush entered office.