Open season, fellas.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
It's just fucking hilarious how that logic never works for drunk driving, but will with sex it's a fun game of yes means no sorta but judge for yourself and hopefully you're not drunk so you can fully evaluate the situation.

You're sincerely the bottom of the barrel in IQ if you believe such ridiculous hypocrisy and retarded thoughts.

You really think that drunk driving and sex while drunk are the same thing?

It's not that difficult. For a drunk driver, the deliberacy comes in part through the very act of getting drunk. You knew you had to drive home, but you chose to get plastered regardless. That you didn't hand someone the keys, or hail a ride home, is just the last straw.

For sex... well, if someone is drunk, they can't properly consent. It's as simple as that. Even if they said "yes" before, that doesn't necessarily mean they agreed three beers later.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Let’s posit a slightly different scenario and see if you might have a different response.

Khali woke up to find the woman he’d been drinking with was using the credit card tied to the small business he owned to buy $1000’s of online merchandise.

Minnesota is one of the many states that says that for a victim to be too mentally incapacitated to give consent, they must have become intoxicated against their will, such as if a person secretly drugged someone's drink.

Since Khali had willingly drank 5 drinks before going home with her the judges ruled he had given consent to the purchases.

Would you have an issue with a law that allowed that?
I have an issue with the law that allows blackout drunk to be consent.

Reactions: Paratus

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
You really think that drunk driving and sex while drunk are the same thing?

It's not that difficult. For a drunk driver, the deliberacy comes in part through the very act of getting drunk. You knew you had to drive home, but you chose to get plastered regardless. That you didn't hand someone the keys, or hail a ride home, is just the last straw.

For sex... well, if someone is drunk, they can't properly consent. It's as simple as that. Even if they said "yes" before, that doesn't necessarily mean they agreed three beers later.
Out of curiosity what if both are drunk, with the above can't both parties claim rape?

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Out of curiosity what if both are drunk, with the above can't both parties claim rape?

Quite possibly. It depends in part on what happened before the two got drunk. If one person was making moves on the other and wasn't taking kindly to "no," getting drunk might have just removed their last inhibitions.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I wonder about that as well.
Back in the dark ages when I was a young man it was just accepted that people do stupid things when they've been drinking.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
If you can't drive, you cannot decide.
I am coder, I analyze these things by boolean measure, its my understanding that law people is build sort of by the same kind of bricks. By the definition you propose, how much sex is happening right now, that is without consent? And thus potential rape? If two people are equally intoxicated, is it a two street rape? I raped her, she raped me?
I understand the emotionally standpoint here, I just cant make the logic follow.

edit: I see others before me have put forth the same paradox

edit2: Assuming the context here is clubbing and inferred alcohol/substance consumption ... Is this a rape song?

Last edited:

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I am coder, I analyze these things by boolean measure, its my understanding that law people is build sort of by the same kind of bricks. By the definition you propose, how much sex is happening right now, that is without consent? And thus potential rape? If two people are equally intoxicated, is it a two street rape? I raped her, she raped me?
I understand the emotionally standpoint here, I just cant make the logic follow.

edit: I see others before me have put forth the same paradox

edit2: Assuming the context here is clubbing and inferred alcohol/substance consumption ... Is this a rape song?

Could have sworn I'd read some articles saying just that. It's certainly a very _irritating_ tune. Seems that everything that Pharrel guy is involved in is irritating as all heck. From the McDonald's jingle, to the obviously dodgy Blurred Lines, to this. This might not be as 'rapey' as Blurred Lines, but it's still a bit sordid. But most of all, just a really horrible bit of music.

Don't really know who Tim Jonze is, but I agree with him (it's the only negative article I could find, when looking for the ones I _thought_ I remembered criticising the lyrics... but maybe I imagined them because I dislike the song anyway and wanted it to be attacked on multiple levels)

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Could have sworn I'd read some articles saying just that. It's certainly a very _irritating_ tune. Seems that everything that Pharrel guy is involved in is irritating as all heck. From the McDonald's jingle, to the obviously dodgy Blurred Lines, to this. This might not be as 'rapey' as Blurred Lines, but it's still a bit sordid. But most of all, just a really horrible bit of music.

Don't really know who Tim Jonze is, but I agree with him (it's the only negative article I could find, when looking for the ones I _thought_ I remembered criticising the lyrics... but maybe I imagined them because I dislike the song anyway and wanted it to be attacked on multiple levels)

*Damn* thats some heartfelt hate right there. Either way, the article does point out that his opinion of the song is the outlier in the data-set. The take-away I am manifesting right now is that this me-too thing is far from over and not even close to settling on a landing spot. I see my own statements if not straight up attacked then at best "ignored" by fellow leftish folk that I usually agree with on a wide range of topics. I also take note that there is still a-lot of emotion in play, this may not be the best time to play and joggle with the deductions of it all.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
It's just fucking hilarious how that logic never works for drunk driving, but will with sex it's a fun game of yes means no sorta but judge for yourself and hopefully you're not drunk so you can fully evaluate the situation.

You're sincerely the bottom of the barrel in IQ if you believe such ridiculous hypocrisy and retarded thoughts.

Lol.. may you wake up from a blackout drunk getting pegged by a broomstick. We'll see what you have to say then.

Nov 8, 2012
Lol.. may you wake up from a blackout drunk getting pegged by a broomstick. We'll see what you have to say then.

You do realize that date rape and "I think I didn't consent last night - but I also can't remember much about last night" are 2 very-different things, right?

I know these are hard concepts for some of you guys to wrap your heads around though.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
You do realize that date rape and "I think I didn't consent last night - but I also can't remember much about last night" are 2 very-different things, right?

I know these are hard concepts for some of you guys to wrap your heads around though.

And you're too fucking stupid to understand that you're apologizing for rape.
She didn't wake up the next morning unable to remember if she gave consent. She woke up to being raped.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
You guys should see promising young woman.

It's like taking the last several years/decades about women and rape and writing a movie about it.

Its pretty disgusting culture we've created and the lack of self awareness isn't promising.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
You guys should see promising young woman.

It's like taking the last several years/decades about women and rape and writing a movie about it.

Its pretty disgusting culture we've created and the lack of self awareness isn't promising.
2020 sucked movie-wise, pandemic shut down everything, including movies. Promising Young Woman was one of the best movies of 2020 IMO.

As far as this court decision, sadly, it was the correct one. The law is what's wrong here and needs to change. It's like being upset at judge putting people away for smoking weed, the judge is not the problem here, the shitty law is. Hopefully this case will get enough publicity to change the law. I'm really hoping Minnesota fixes this, and I'm really hoping democratic congress will legalize weed before 2022.

Juiblex

Banned
Sep 26, 2016
Let’s posit a slightly different scenario and see if you might have a different response.

Khali woke up to find the woman he’d been drinking with was using the credit card tied to the small business he owned to buy $1000’s of online merchandise.

Minnesota is one of the many states that says that for a victim to be too mentally incapacitated to give consent, they must have become intoxicated against their will, such as if a person secretly drugged someone's drink.

Since Khali had willingly drank 5 drinks before going home with her the judges ruled he had given consent to the purchases.

Would you have an issue with a law that allowed that?
I'm going to call your strawman and raise you a strawman...

Let's assume there is a man named Troy.
He took you out to Hooters for for your 21st birthday to celebrate.
Troy got shit faced drunk.
When it was time to pay the bill, you were under the impression he was taking you out for your birthday and would be paying.
But since he was so drunk he couldn't figure out the bill or to pull out a credit card and was incoherent.
Hooters, the bar, needed the bill paid. Is Troy responsible for the bill?
Or was he so drunk he was unable to consent to the drinks he consumed at Hooters? And that Hooters is responsible because they didn't "cut him off" earlier? Or is it your responsibility as his friend to pay the tab?

And now I'm going to raise you another strawman.

Let's assume there is a man named Bill.
He went out to the bar with his wife, and while at the bar he got shit faced.
His neighbor showed up at the bar and his neighbor started hitting on Bill's wife.
Bill's wife felt uncomfortable and asked Bill to leave.
When Bill arrived at home, he drank another 6 Budweiser's he had in his fridge and waited until his neighbor came back from the bar.
He decided to confront the neighbor in his driveway with a shotgun.
The neighbor called the cops. The guy enraged, shoots at the neighbor, but misses.
The cops arrest Bill and charge him for attempted murder.
Is Bill responsible for his actions? Or was he too drunk to know what he is doing?

And another for good measure.

Troy went to the Gay 90's bar in downtown Minneapolis.
He got shit faced. He hit on a few girls. Maybe a few guys too.
He refused to leave when the rest of his friends decided to go because he was having too much fun.
In the process lost his cell phone somewhere in the bar.
When the bar closed he was kicked out on the street and his friends nowhere to be found.
He had no phone to call a cab and nobody was going to deal with someone barely able to stand.
He wandered around downtown Minneapolis for awhile trying to figure out what to do.
He next remembered waking up in the hospital with a fractured eye socket and his wallet missing. He assumed he was mugged but doesn't remember a thing.
Is Troy responsible for his actions?

(Troy is a friend of mine and true stories here, Bill's story is fictional)

At what point does a person's actions become their responsibility? Drinking and alcohol doesn't give consent. Drinking and alcohol doesn't absolve the person of their responsibly for situations they put themselves in.

Women's Drinking 101 Life Skills class tells the woman not to get shit faced at the bar while out on a date or while alone. They need to go out with friends or a buddy to prevent things from happening. If she went to the bar, got shit faced, went home with a dude... The law has decided in MN the responsibility land on the drunk person for the situation they are in. It sucks, but its completely preventable.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

When it was time to pay the bill, you were under the impression he was taking you out for your birthday and would be paying.
But since he was so drunk he couldn't figure out the bill or to pull out a credit card and was incoherent.
Or was he so drunk he was unable to consent to the drinks he consumed at Hooters? And that Hooters is responsible because they didn't "cut him off" earlier? Or is it your responsibility as his friend to pay the tab?
Hooters might be liable for serving a customer to that point of intoxication. Regardless, in that situation I would pay for the bill myself and Troy could pay me back when he sobered up.

His neighbor showed up at the bar and his neighbor started hitting on Bill's wife.
When Bill arrived at home, he drank another 6 Budweiser's he had in his fridge and waited until his neighbor came back from the bar.
The neighbor called the cops. The guy enraged, shoots at the neighbor, but misses.
Is Bill responsible for his actions? Or was he too drunk to know what he is doing?
Why would you think this is relevant? Getting drunk does not excuse your actions. It does not excuse other people's illegal interactions with you, though. Trot gets drunk and kills someone -> Troy goes to jail. Troy gets drunk and someone kills him, the killer doesn't get out of jail free just because Troy was drunk. Is that hard to understand? I wonder for you since you wasted time asking this question.

He refused to leave when the rest of his friends decided to go because he was having too much fun.
When the bar closed he was kicked out on the street and his friends nowhere to be found.
He had no phone to call a cab and nobody was going to deal with someone barely able to stand.
He wandered around downtown Minneapolis for awhile trying to figure out what to do.
He next remembered waking up in the hospital with a fractured eye socket and his wallet missing. He assumed he was mugged but doesn't remember a thing.
If it was proven Troy was mugged, the mugger should go to jail, and Troy is not responsible in any way for that mugging. Again, why would you ask this stupid question?

At what point does a person's actions become their responsibility? Drinking and alcohol doesn't give consent. Drinking and alcohol doesn't absolve the person of their responsibly for situations they put themselves in.

Women's Drinking 101 Life Skills class tells the woman not to get shit faced at the bar while out on a date or while alone. They need to go out with friends or a buddy to prevent things from happening. If she went to the bar, got shit faced, went home with a dude... The law has decided in MN the responsibility land on the drunk person for the situation they are in. It sucks, but its completely preventable.
This is victim blaming, pure and simple. People are responsible for their own actions, regardless of intoxication levels. People are not responsible for other people's actions, regardless of intoxication levels.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004

Sure there are things you can do to protect yourself from bad things happening to you like avoiding excessive alcohol. But here’s the difference.

Getting shit-faced and leaving someone open to rape or robbery could be considered irresponsible on their part.

Getting shit-faced and raping or robbing someone is illegal regardless of whether the victim was also shit-faced.

If you have a tendency to rape people when you are drunk it’s your responsibility to avoid drinking.

But what should law do when both parties are black-out drunk I can already hear you saying.

If we had a criminal justice system that didn’t immediately start a rape investigation with only asking the victim what were you wearing, were you drinking, do you really want to ruin the guys life by pressing charges and instead investigated without bias they could address each case individually based on its own merits. Then they could decide whether any actionable criminal intent had actually occurred.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
It is some deeply disturbing shit that some people believe that it's okay to rape a woman just because she fell asleep on your couch.

Fucking sick psychos.

Nov 8, 2012
It is some deeply disturbing shit that some people believe that it's okay to rape a woman just because she fell asleep on your couch.

Fucking sick psychos.

Except no one said that.

Just because you were a loser your entire college career (and in every time before and after that - for that matter) doesn't mean that drunken parties and gatherings don't happen. It isn't a Yes or No, 0 or 1 thing - but you guys damn sure love to make it out to be.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Except no one said that.

Just because you were a loser your entire college career (and in every time before and after that - for that matter) doesn't mean that drunken parties and gatherings don't happen. It isn't a Yes or No, 0 or 1 thing - but you guys damn sure love to make it out to be.

I understand this has been a problem for you, but no woman that I've had sex with has ever tried to accuse me of rape after the fact. And just an FYI, that makes me the opposite of a loser. Sorry about your penis.

• Haha
Reactions: cytg111 and dank69