omg omg omg FALLOUT 76 !

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
gIEGepL.png

Out for a stroll

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Feeling that open Appalachia air... so fresh, yet toxic AF

Didn't get to play at all yesterday but I'm having fun with it too. Spent what seemed like an hour at the Morgantown airport with some randoms and other members fighting off waves of scorched and collecting some really nice loot. Doing a pretty good job of clearing objectives but I'll admit most of them are quite mundane. You can make everything interesting though so it's a "make of it what you will" sort of experience for me, so far.

I don't mind the survival elements either, as there's plenty of food and water and meds around to keep you going. Ammo is also plentiful as long as you know what scrap and materials to break down. I'm rolling with mostly .308, 10mm and SG shells to cover all the angles--along with one melee weapon. Been working fine.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
BIG (15.2GB) patch was also released today... claims to fix a lot of bugs but with Bethesda all bets are pretty much off.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
BIG (15.2GB) patch was also released today... claims to fix a lot of bugs but with Bethesda all bets are pretty much off.

Problem is bug fixing is one thing, but when a lot of the usual Fallout stuff is removed from F76 how do they expect to get a lot of players?..The game needs a lot more content, cheaper price, bug fixing and mods, by the time GOTY version comes out this game might be worth buying, only time will tell, but Bethesda have dropped the ball on this one big time.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
It's a more than a DLC per say but less than a new game altogether... I'd consider it a supplemental game to Fallout 4. The similarities are clear but that doesn't deter me from not wanting to play it or anything.

I went in thinking it was going to be a total wreck of a game, despite what I was hearing from my friends, but I was really pleasantly surprised.

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008
Do you need friends to enjoy the game or is this also a solo enjoyable game? Since all the previous Fallouts were basically solo games.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I think we need to wait for Kilian Experience to review fallout 76.

His fallout 4, and new vegas videos were spot on.

Or you could look at the gameplay and decide for yourself if this is a game you're interested in playing.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Or you could look at the gameplay and decide for yourself if this is a game you're interested in playing.
Dude, Kilian Experience Reviews are the best. Sure, I will often buy the game long before he reviews it, but, his reviews are the best of the best of the best. they are often called "Garbage reviews" because they are so good.

In any case, I likely will wind up purchasing a copy of Fallout 76 when it goes on sale on steam for 40%-60% off.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
In any case, I likely will wind up purchasing a copy of Fallout 76 when it goes on sale on steam for 40%-60% off.

I hate to break it to you, but Fallout 76 isn't on Steam. One of the many reasons this game is a huge disappointment.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I hate to break it to you, but Fallout 76 isn't on Steam. One of the many reasons this game is a huge disappointment.
I assume it will find itself on steam ... eventually
But, if it doesn't, then I simply won't buy the game.
Not a big deal really IMO

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
You're right, it isn't a big deal. Nobody cares if you don't buy it.

And it's not going to be on Steam since it's always online and requires proprietary Bethesda servers... but I feel like I'm wasting my breath here.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
dude--it definitely is never going to be on steam. The newest Mass Effect games will be available on Steam before FO 76 will.
Well, I guess I'll wait for it to become public domain then, in a lot of years, after "real life" Fallout is brought about by POTUS. (Assuming I can make it into one of the vaults.)

Reactions: DeathReborn

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
You're right, it isn't a big deal. Nobody cares if you don't buy it.

And it's not going to be on Steam since it's always online and requires proprietary Bethesda servers... but I feel like I'm wasting my breath here.

It's not going to be on Steam because Bethesda doesn't want to give up a share of the microtransaction money. It has absolutely nothing to do with Bethesda servers. In other words, yes, you're wasting your breath.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Actually it does... because Bethesda wants the servers to be online indefinitely; that means they control all maintenance and server uptime. Pretty sure they wouldn't be able to do that if they were leasing Valve servers and had to release updates through Steam.

Microtransaction profits might have been part of the original reasoning for going with their own launcher. I don't believe the percentage of MT profits that actually go to Valve is that much, albeit it is certainly something to consider when taking a gamble like Fallout 76.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Actually it does... because Bethesda wants the servers to be online indefinitely; that means they control all maintenance and server uptime. Pretty sure they wouldn't be able to do that if they were leasing Valve servers and had to release updates through Steam.

Microtransaction profits might have been part of the original reasoning for going with their own launcher. I don't believe the percentage of MT profits that actually go to Valve is that much, albeit it is certainly something to consider when taking a gamble like Fallout 76.

Your first sentence is completely unrelated to your second. There is no requirement at all to use Valve servers if you put your game on Steam. Look at all the Ubisoft games.

Bethesda wanted a big hit game from which they could milk 100% of the MTX money.