omg omg omg FALLOUT 76 !

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
If you feel this way about the game and you're still shoving $60 at them simply because "it's Fallout", then you're part of the reason we are getting these kinds of games.

There's no alternative. And I love the Fallout universe.

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
I was highly skeptical but I will admit that I am enjoying it. Unless you're hanging around main quest locations, you can go hours without seeing any other players. I played every available PC beta date and I was only attacked a single time by another player and I killed him pretty easily. I haven't tried initiating any PvP.

I love the map and locations. It is a great place to explore.

My biggest gripe is the 400 pound stash limit and small building budget. The stash fills up very quickly and I wasn't able to build a very big base before hitting the max objects. If this isn't tweaked, I don't think I'll play for very long.

On a side note, some mods have already been made: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout76/mods/

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
My biggest gripe is the 400 pound stash limit and small building budget. The stash fills up very quickly and I wasn't able to build a very big base before hitting the max objects. If this isn't tweaked, I don't think I'll play for very long.

Don't worry about that, I'm sure they intend to sell you more.

That is the problem with online games, they have to monetize it somehow to keep the servers running. There will be microtransactions, that means that they have to build something into the game that you will want to buy, and the easiest way to do that is to make some part of the game needlessly painful so you will be willing to pay not to deal with it.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Went to a buddy's place after work to unbox his power armor edition. It's alright, looks cool but very cheaply made--not surprising. Gamestop has totally left me in the dark on my console pre-order so I'll probably end up canceling and buying the PC version, which I'm hearing runs better anyway. I watched my bud play it for about 20 minutes or so and I have very mixed feelings. On one hand I really want to try it but on the other I feel I was wrong in saying it was going to be great. Almost feels like a Fallout 4 mod with taped on web code.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
FAA8AkO.jpg

Almost feels like a Fallout 4 mod with taped on web code.
That's what it is basically, it's nothing revolutionary, the graphics kinda stink for today , ui is extremely clunky imo. I 've been enjoying it though

Reactions: WhiteNoise

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I've been scouring over text and video reviews for the last 48 hours or so and I don't think I'm going to play it right now. I can see how people are upset because it's a buggy and lifeless mess being sold as a $60 game. On the other hand a good amount of people are saying that it has its moments where it's very fun and somewhat rewarding; the map is fun to explore so I still kinda want to try it. The UI is very un-intuitive on PC though and it doesn't run good even on powerful hardware. There is also no 21:9 support, no FOV slider, and mic is always on. This is likely stuff that isn't going to be fixed right away either...

For me, I think the negatives far outweigh the pros on this one; the game seems just a lackluster and lazy development efforts.

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
Running well over the frame cap for me and looks good with a few .ini tweaks. Atmosphere is fantastic at times.

Control scheme is wack but typical Fallout fare.

Questing is pretty weak so far, in my opinion (level 25ish). This is helped a little bit by having great locations but after I see the whole map there won't be anything to keep me coming back.

The multiplayer stuff is pretty exaggerated. I've been ignored by every player except for one since the beginning of beta - which is perfectly fine by me. I just played for 3 hours tonight and saw 1 person.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I don't think anything official yet, just 'unofficial' sources saying that. But those 'unofficial' sources are coming from respected journalists, so might have some weight.

I think that the survival/base building genre is just getting started. Rust/Ark/Exiles shows that there is a demand for such games, but IMHO no one has gotten it right yet. Each of those games had a lot of potential but was deeply flawed in execution. Fallout 4 base building was more or less tacked on to the game and never really worked well. It sounds like they are going to flip the game, making the base building the core of the game and the adventuring just a way to support that. Perhaps they will add a bit of city-management in there too as your base grows into a town? If they can manage nail the base building aspect it could be a good game.

I would not bother wasting money on the F76, it's buggy incomplete and nothing for the single player, so waste of money IMHO, as to F4 building wise it was pretty good, reason being there are a wide range of add-on nexus mods for building, I just upgraded my F4 to GOTY version and downloaded Snap and build mod 2, scrap them all, bridge fix at sanctuary mod and having a lot of fun with F4, it's like a new game will all DLC, houses you can build actually have windows , marble stairs/walls or floors(with different colours) no problem with this mod and houses look brand new rather then those crappy sheds/shackles.

F4 strength is good single player game( F76 does not come close) and the mods you can get, they pretty much cover all bases, you have to hand it to the mod developers since they have done a better job with F4 then bethesda could of done.

Nothing hard about base building in F4 , power,food,water and defences and you are all done, add stores to improve happiness.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
...The multiplayer stuff is pretty exaggerated. I've been ignored by every player except for one since the beginning of beta - which is perfectly fine by me. I just played for 3 hours tonight and saw 1 person.

The problem here is that without other players the world is almost completely stagnant it seems--because it's NOT like a traditional Fallout game. Bethesda claims to have wanted more immersion with players interacting with each other but it seems like the polar opposite has occurred. The PvP, as told by most, is basically just a tremendous waste of resources and doesn't really work well at all. I think it still might be worth playing if you love the style and can look past the dated graphics, just not for full price.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
My buddy insisted that I at least try it so I reluctantly bought a $50 cd key online and activated my copy... Here's my honest opinion after just several hours.

It's not as bad as people are making it out to be. It's certainly rough, however the experience is quite interesting and I haven't had that many issues with it. I am running it on my Ryzen 1500X computer with the R9 390 8GB and it actually looks quite good. A simple .ini file edit makes the 3440x1440 resolution plenty playable--although some of the text elements are slightly blurry. I realize we shouldn't have to do this in 2018 but this is a Bethesda game and they just don't seem to get it. Having said that though, I am actually enjoying the game quite a bit and yea there's some definite bugs (that may or may not be addressed) but I haven't run into anything that's game-breaking.

The PC controls, especially within the UI, are definitely silly but let's be real... as long as the WASD and aiming works the rest is just buttons, so I'm having no problems with the control scheme. Could it be better? Of course it could. Furthermore, you can certainly play the game alone and although there is no NPC I don't feel that the game is as barren as everyone is saying. It is a wasteland after all and there's not really a shortage of things to do. Yes, the lore is rubbish and there are TONS of reused Fallout 4 assets but the map itself is quite good and having other players around is nice if you get into trouble.

I haven't quite decided on whether or not I'd recommend the game (at full price) just yet but I'm also convinced that a lot of the hate surrounding the game is just that. If you enjoy the late Fallout games then you'll probably dig 76. It's not without problems and there will be some setbacks but overall I am quite pleased so far.

Reactions: maevinj and DigDog

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Im under the impression that much of the negative feedback was done by new youtube channels looking for clicks and for a platform to shout from - so they exaggerated things.
Still doesnt look like a game i would want to play, but i suppose it would do for people looking for a social gaming experience.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I think we need to wait for Kilian Experience to review fallout 76.

His fallout 4, and new vegas videos were spot on.