OMG bad SAT score

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Ahh young grasshopper. You are ready to leave the village!

Seriously it's sad that this is true. Those that make the most money are the owners who usually aren't the most intelligent people in the company. Some of the most brilliant people will end up working for others for a living and barely scraping by or looking for sponsorships for their research. The fruits of their labor go to benefit society, but the money goes to the companies that buy the idea from the inventor, not the inventor him/herself. Then you have the athletes and entertainers who make bajillions every year while doing a relatively easy job. This is the capitalist system as it stands now. While I think it is the best system to date, I think we still have a LOOOOOOOOONNNGGG way to go before certain jobs are rewarded equally for their work, such as the engineers, teachers, scientists, etc...

Originally posted by: kherman
Hish School:
Lets see here. 1030 on SATs. 670 math and what is that on verbal? Damn it? Carry the one, umm.... 360 verbal. Graduated in the middle of my class.

College:
Went to Clarkson University.
Got a 2.6/4.0 (2.7/4.0 in major) in electrical engineering. Did one co-op.

Professional life:
I'm making $50,000+ (not posting salary) and expect to hit $70,000+ in 5 years.

What I learned after school(some ranting here):
This is what ticks me off. I worked all my life to make the same salary as someone that went to trade school to be a welder. IT'S BULLSH!T! The real world is FAKE! Learn how it works, and only then can you become wealthy. You must be an owner of something to be a true success, without this, you will always be average, regardless of your 4.0/4.0 or your 1600 SAT score. Me, the average guy, will one day be a multi-millionair becasue only now am I learning how money works and how to really make money. The government's educational system tells you that you need good grades to get a "good job". Meanwhile, the ones that have figured the real world out are sitting back, relaxing, making 10 times as much as those people with "good jobs". Who is smatter? The guy with the 4.0 or the guy with the money? IMHO, money is a the only measurment of intelegence in the real world. Money is VERY REAL ... measurements of intelegence (grades and SAT scores) are FAKE!

bleckywelcky

Sep 16, 2002
I got a 1330 without studying at all. Never even used it though since I went to an Eastern US school. I hear they use it more in the Western US schools though. A good GPA, ACT score, and diverse HS education/experience will help you a lot more (or the color of your skin if you are applying to the University of Michigan) than a good SAT score.

-

acidvoodoo

Platinum Member
Jan 6, 2002
at what age are u 'supposed' (i know smart asses take the test when they like 12
rolleye.gif
) to do the SAT?

here in UK, i got my mock GCSE's in january, the the real ones in may. (this is at age 15-16). U do course work and 2 exam papers for each subject u chose .u have do have studied english, all sciences, and maths, then the subjects from each of your choices, so i n my case i will be taking exams for english, english lit., physics, chemistry, biology, 2 maths papers, electronics, music, french and religous studies. In the summer u then recieve your grades for each subject, A*to G, then U (if u sat down and didn't touch the paper).
then when your 17 you chose up to 4 (which is reccomended) sujects to study in more depth for AS level. then when u are 18 u tend to drop one and study the other 3 for a level.

i found out that if i want to go to a US college (i'm a US cit. just live here cause parents split up), i will have to take the SAT at some US radar base nearby. what i'm worried about is, i will no chose to do english at AS or A level, so that might hurt any score i got on the SAT.
what is the test like?

bleckywelcky

Sep 16, 2002
Max ACT as of a couple years ago: 36. I got a 28 the first time I took it but was horribly sick during the test, blowing my nose every couple minutes, drowsy, etc. Took it again without studying but feeling a lot better and scored a 30. I think the ACT is a good test for basic HS knowledge. If you actually know the basic chemistry, math, english, etc stuff from HS rather than just copying the work from examples for every homework you receive, then you should have no problem going into the test and coming out with a decent score.

If you really think that your scores on the SAT/ACT are bad and won't let you get into the college of your choice, then attend a lesser, cheaper college (or community college) close to your college of choice and do really well for a year taking the basic introduction classes that you would need for either the big shot or little college, get a 4.0 and then transfer and you'll have no problem. I had good SAT/ACT scores and a great GPA, graduated 3rd in my HS class, but I still went to a small shot college rather than the big shot college right next to it because I wanted to save the money on the basic classes. Instead of paying over $6000/semester for my first year, I payed a little over $2000/semester.

-

bleckywelcky

Sep 16, 2002
Originally posted by: acidvoodoo
at what age are u 'supposed' (i know smart asses take the test when they like 12
rolleye.gif
) to do the SAT?

here in UK, i got my mock GCSE's in january, the the real ones in may. (this is at age 15-16). U do course work and 2 exam papers for each subject u chose .u have do have studied english, all sciences, and maths, then the subjects from each of your choices, so i n my case i will be taking exams for english, english lit., physics, chemistry, biology, 2 maths papers, electronics, music, french and religous studies. In the summer u then recieve your grades for each subject, A*to G, then U (if u sat down and didn't touch the paper).
then when your 17 you chose up to 4 (which is reccomended) sujects to study in more depth for AS level. then when u are 18 u tend to drop one and study the other 3 for a level.

i found out that if i want to go to a US college (i'm a US cit. just live here cause parents split up), i will have to take the SAT at some US radar base nearby. what i'm worried about is, i will no chose to do english at AS or A level, so that might hurt any score i got on the SAT.
what is the test like?

Yeh, I've heard about that crazy system they have over in the UK. It's like the kids are in lockdown based on a single set of tests. That is scary. I would be horrified if I knew that the rest of my life was largely based on one set of tests. If you can, find some sample SAT tests and read SAT prep material that you can find for free (local schools, libraries, etc should have some SAT prep hand books even if you are in the UK) to get a feel for it. If you want, then you can pay for some SAT stuff to help you out more.

-

kherman

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2002
It is time to build more:
Take anyone at age 18. Two options:
1) Spend $100,000 on schooling.
2) Invest $100,000 in a diverse portfolio while working a dumb job.

If I could do it over again, I would choose (2) and study persona finance on my own while flipping burgers to kill time. Double money at 11% annually. That means every 7 years I would double my money. i'd be a millionair in 23 years. I will be luky, taking hte path I have to have one million dollars, even with agressive investing, at age 41 (18+23). No, I'll do something more than flip burgers, but hte low paying job would be there. THink about it:(

Originally posted by: wyvrn
Ahh young grasshopper. You are ready to leave the village!

Seriously it's sad that this is true. Those that make the most money are the owners who usually aren't the most intelligent people in the company. Some of the most brilliant people will end up working for others for a living and barely scraping by or looking for sponsorships for their research. The fruits of their labor go to benefit society, but the money goes to the companies that buy the idea from the inventor, not the inventor him/herself. Then you have the athletes and entertainers who make bajillions every year while doing a relatively easy job. This is the capitalist system as it stands now. While I think it is the best system to date, I think we still have a LOOOOOOOOONNNGGG way to go before certain jobs are rewarded equally for their work, such as the engineers, teachers, scientists, etc...

Hish School:
Lets see here. 1030 on SATs. 670 math and what is that on verbal? Damn it? Carry the one, umm.... 360 verbal. Graduated in the middle of my class.

College:

Professional life:

This is what ticks me off. I worked all my life to make the same salary as someone that went to trade school to be a welder. IT'S BULLSH!T! The real world is FAKE! Learn how it works, and only then can you become wealthy. You must be an owner of something to be a true success, without this, you will always be average, regardless of your 4.0/4.0 or your 1600 SAT score. Me, the average guy, will one day be a multi-millionair becasue only now am I learning how money works and how to really make money. The government's educational system tells you that you need good grades to get a "good job". Meanwhile, the ones that have figured the real world out are sitting back, relaxing, making 10 times as much as those people with "good jobs". Who is smatter? The guy with the 4.0 or the guy with the money? IMHO, money is a the only measurment of intelegence in the real world. Money is VERY REAL ... measurements of intelegence (grades and SAT scores) are FAKE!

GermyBoy

Banned
Jun 5, 2001
Originally posted by: NutBucket
That's better then I did, if that means anything. <-- 3rd year EE major.

Likewise, but I'm a fourth year. Sounds like you're a baby wanting to get into Ivy League. If you don't score a 35-36 and a 1550+ first time around, be valedictorian and have tons (enough to cover an entire resume page in just that) of community service, will you even have a chance. :p

acidvoodoo

Platinum Member
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by: bleckywelcky
Originally posted by: acidvoodoo
rolleye.gif
) to do the SAT?

what is the test like?

Yeh, I've heard about that crazy system they have over in the UK. It's like the kids are in lockdown based on a single set of tests. That is scary. I would be horrified if I knew that the rest of my life was largely based on one set of tests. If you can, find some sample SAT tests and read SAT prep material that you can find for free (local schools, libraries, etc should have some SAT prep hand books even if you are in the UK) to get a feel for it. If you want, then you can pay for some SAT stuff to help you out more.

-

u really think that? i'm not sure. The tests are essentially testing you on all the theories etc u've learned over the 2 year GCSE course. I like the AS/A level system. i don't like classes like english, french, histroy etc, so i will end up choosing math physics IT etc.

does the SAT have alot of, or all, multiple choice questions? that seems kinda inaccurate to me
rolleye.gif
, but i do like the idea of GPA

blahblah99

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 2000
Thats the exact score I got.. 1270 on SAT 1 - 730 in Math and 540 in Verbal.
Then for SAT 2, I got 800 in math, 520 in verbal, and 690 in physics.

Ended up with a 2.9GPA in EE after its all said and done.

And the thing about investing the money you spent on schooling on something else, where are you going to get that money? No bank/person in their right mind is going to lend an 18 yr old kid $100,000 to blow on something other than their education.

Danman

Lifer
Nov 9, 1999
I got a 1000 on teh first time I took it which was last October. I was out until 1 in the mornin and had to take the test which was an hour away.
rolleye.gif
I think that's why I did so bad, I have a weighted 4.0 GPA with AP and Dual Enrollment classes. I am re-taking the test December 7th. I'll probably be able to pull something between the 1100 and 1300 range. :)

theNEOone

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
It is time to build more:
Take anyone at age 18. Two options:
1) Spend $100,000 on schooling.
2) Invest $100,000 in a diverse portfolio while working a dumb job.

If I could do it over again, I would choose (2) and study persona finance on my own while flipping burgers to kill time. Double money at 11% annually. That means every 7 years I would double my money. i'd be a millionair in 23 years. I will be luky, taking hte path I have to have one million dollars, even with agressive investing, at age 41 (18+23). No, I'll do something more than flip burgers, but hte low paying job would be there. THink about it:(

And where exactly do you propose to get $100,000?? And realize also that had you invested $100,000 5 years ago, that today you'd be left with a very small portion of it today. Granted, we are in a slump and it's possible that some savvy investing would earn your money back, but how many savvy 18 year old investors do you see carrying around a spare $100k?

Hish School:

College:

Professional life:

Yes, money is very real. But money also isn't everything. I'd rather be working for a stupid rich asshole, than actually BE the stupid rich asshole. And if you go to a private college, the idea of a "government educational system" is void. Also, since you obviously graduated a few years ago I don't feel bad telling you that a 2.6 GPA is not going to put you in a top position. Realize that a 2.6 is just average. Why would you expect any more than an average salary? I don't mean to be the jerk here, but I don't like you going around discouraging people from working hard - because hard work, true hard work, always pays off in the end.

lilFajita

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2002
One important thing to remember is that the SAT score is far from the end-all in today's college admissions. I played a part in a honors admissions program at my school, and we routinely denied admissions to 1600ers in favor of someone who had a decent SAT score, but also participated in extracurricular activites, had good recs, and such. It's part of the puzzle, but only part.

If you are worried, do some prep. You can EASILY raise your score significantly with practice. It is all about your composure and test taking skills.

Good luck! :)

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
My best friend got an 8 on his ACT's so don't feel bad. Of course, we were up all night because the Bulls 3-peated the night before his test, so I guess he has an excuse.

FettsBabe

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 1999
Well I scored alot lower than that and I got into one of the best schools in the country. Although, I opted to chose the lower priced school (still private though). I hope to get my JD at my first choice a few years from now. We'll see what I decide to do though.