OMG bad SAT score

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Maggotry

Platinum Member
Dec 5, 2001
What's a "perfect" score in the SAT or ACT? I took them many years ago and don't remember my scores.

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: fyleow
Originally posted by: chiwawa626
Damn...everyone in this thread is really cocky...no wonder we're all here and dont have friends
rolleye.gif

What did you get on your SATs? :D

less then 1270 hahahahahahahahaha

GoodToGo

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Maggotry
What's a "perfect" score in the SAT or ACT? I took them many years ago and don't remember my scores.

1600 on SAT I

Not sure on ACT though.

xuanman

Golden Member
Oct 5, 2002

Perfect score on the SAT is 1600, not too sure about the ACT.

don't they have some new section now so the highest possible score is now 2400 or something?

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Ameesh
Originally posted by: chiwawa626
Damn...everyone in this thread is really cocky...no wonder we're all here and dont have friends
rolleye.gif

What did you get on your SATs? :D

less then 1270 hahahahahahahahaha

With the way some people freak out about SAT scores you'd think the size of a certain male organ was inversely proportional to their SAT score or something.....
rolleye.gif

One of my friends got a 1580 and he wasn't really satisfied :confused:
rolleye.gif

people go to $1000s of prep classes now. some people really are not satisfied considering they've blown like 5k on classes.

i dunno the SATs require things that school doesnt teach anymore, a good vocabulary, a person who likes reading , reasoning skills and basic math ability. all severely lacking in the world of today. when 87% of the 18-24 population cant find iraq on a map, well yeah...

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001
Originally posted by: xuanman

don't they have some new section now so the highest possible score is now 2400 or something?
hmmm...
not last time I checked

quirky

Jun 25, 2002
you're only stupid if you think SATs actually mean anything other than how well you take tests. I know a guy who got 1210 the first time, but studied his ass off in the summer and ended with a 1570.

theNEOone

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
Dood, SAT means squat, and don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

<--- 1210 SAT
<--- 3rd Year Molecular Biology major (taking year off b4 med school), 3.4 GPA, Cornell Univ.

SOSTrooper

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2001
I have 1040 and I'm functioning normally... Heck I even considered my SAT to be 'good.' You shouldnt really compare your score with other people's. You need to be more confident with it and stop worrying on a *1270* score. With a score of 1040 I bet I'm more successful than some people with much higher SAT. It's believing what you're actually capable of doing that will lead you to success.

Gulzakar

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
thats the problem with the young-uns...their academic credentials will be sky high, but nothing beyond that. Not to say that all of you are like that...

I only got an 1100...and I seem to be ok :) hehe, I think what most people fail to realize is the difference between those who can test take and those who can perform. Put me in front of a multiple choice test, I do so-so... Give me an essay or big project, I always get an A. You will realize that when you get into college that some of the most informative classes come where tests are shadowed by a chunky project or a lot of papers and essays. I hate to tell you guys, but I don't think your future employer is going to say "ok (insert name here), we need a proposal, but rather than you giving us a lengthy report, we'd like you to choose from A, B, C, or D" ;)

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I took it in 10th grade (when I was 13), and got a 1310, IIRC.

I got a 29 on the ACT. That was good enough, in combination with my grades, for a free ride to LSU, Ole Miss, USA, and MGCCC.

SOSTrooper

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2001
The only reason I can come up with so many ppl flock to a thread to post SAT/ACT/GPA is the lack of attention received from those respective scores in real life. How many time do you go out and expect someone to care about your scores? Nobody cares about it in real life, so thats why I think ppl are so eager to type in "1580 SAT HA!" in every forum possible. A friend of mine who was a bookworm in HS and College whos had GPA of 4.1 and SAT of 1400+ and BA in Networking now has a job as network admin assistant @ $15 an hr. I had 1040 SAT and 3.33 GPA and not even graduated from college yet, and I have a job repairing PCs @ $20 an hr. You get the idea.

ChefJoe

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2002
I took it without studying and got a 1190. I think it was 1190 or 1290... it really didn't matter much then and doesn't now.

kherman

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2002
Just got my SAT scores back, a 12 frickin 70. What the heck, this is bad. Without prep but most people still do better. If I retake does the college get all the scores or the highest or what?

I'm thinking I should just take the ACT....

1270 is bad? You smoking crack. Waht was the math/verbal breakdown and what are you going to go to school for?

radioouman

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2002
Hahaha, this is funny. I had a 550 on the verbal and a 610 on the math...... (I only took the SAT and ACT once and didn't worry about it. I had a 24 on my ACT btw.) I got into the only school that I applied to, and graduated with a 3.4 in mechanical engineering. I was able to co-op at a fortune 50 company, and I had a reasonable job offer as soon as I graduated. I'm enrolled in a graduate program now, and will finish in a year and a half.

I had an 1160 on my SAT and everything is working out just fine! Don't worry about it!!!!!!!

klah

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2002
Originally posted by: tweakmm
Originally posted by: xuanman

hmmm...
not last time I checked

Actually yes the new SAT has a 2400 point possible but it's called the SAT 2 and is a different set of tests.

They are adding a writing section to the SAT-1 in 2005, along with eliminating analogies and making the math section more difficult.

College Board Announces SAT Changes
The changes to the exam include:

The addition of a written essay as part of a new writing test. Like the current SAT II writing test, students will be asked to write a persuasive essay based on a topic provided by the test maker. The essay will be scored by two graders, looking not for creativity but structure, grammar, and overall organization of thought. This section will also have multiple-choice questions designed to assess grammar and word usage. Students will receive a new score of 200-800 on the new writing test. The added essay will account for 30% of the writing test.

The addition of the writing section would result in a new "highest possible score" of 2400 (up from 1600 now).

A greater emphasis on critical reading with the addition of more and varied reading passages.

The addition of Algebra II to the math test.

The elimination of two familiar question types, analogies and quantitative comparisons.

The test will be longer, moving from 3 hours to 3.5 hours.

kherman

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2002
Hish School:
Lets see here. 1030 on SATs. 670 math and what is that on verbal? Damn it? Carry the one, umm.... 360 verbal. Graduated in the middle of my class.

College:
Went to Clarkson University.
Got a 2.6/4.0 (2.7/4.0 in major) in electrical engineering. Did one co-op.

Professional life:
I'm making $50,000+ (not posting salary) and expect to hit $70,000+ in 5 years.

What I learned after school(some ranting here):
This is what ticks me off. I worked all my life to make the same salary as someone that went to trade school to be a welder. IT'S BULLSH!T! The real world is FAKE! Learn how it works, and only then can you become wealthy. You must be an owner of something to be a true success, without this, you will always be average, regardless of your 4.0/4.0 or your 1600 SAT score. Me, the average guy, will one day be a multi-millionair becasue only now am I learning how money works and how to really make money. The government's educational system tells you that you need good grades to get a "good job". Meanwhile, the ones that have figured the real world out are sitting back, relaxing, making 10 times as much as those people with "good jobs". Who is smatter? The guy with the 4.0 or the guy with the money? IMHO, money is a the only measurment of intelegence in the real world. Money is VERY REAL ... measurements of intelegence (grades and SAT scores) are FAKE!

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
So they're gonna make the test even longer, eh? I had enough problems paying attention for 3 hours when I took it.

I have friends who have to take an 8 hr test for their PE, I would rather slit my wrists than take an 8 hr test.