Olmert deputy says attack on Iran 'unavoidable'

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Originally posted by: Genx87
Originally posted by: Aimster
I would like to know how Israel plans on attacking Iranian nuclear sites

Iranian F-14s will be a good match against Israeli F-16s
& what about all the air defense systems?

It will not be Israel who attacks Iran. It will be Israel telling the U.S to attack Iran and the U.S listening
F-22 > ALL

Those F-14s havent flown in in nearly 30 years. Even if they somehow could get parts for them on the black market. I dont think their training would allow them to fair well against the Israeli's.

Iranian F-14s fly and they fly in high numbers. Iran has stockpiled on spare parts and has gotten Russian assistance.

The U.S installed all their training for the F-14 inside Iran. The simulations and everything are inside Iran not in the U.S.

Show me some proof of this. At best they have stripped down F-14's from the late 1970's with training from that period. Versus Israelis with F-16s and the latest electronics and vastly superior training.

Every documentary I have seen that mentions those F-14s everybody admits they would have had a hard time flying them within 2 weeks of the embargo. Which is the reason why we didnt bomb the planes on the ground. Decided to just let time take its toll. 30 years later and they are still flying them in high numbers? How high exactly? They only recieved 79 of them?

edit: I found some article talking about a resotratoin project the Iranians started in 2002. Reportedly with the help of a black market they are claiming 3 of them are flying. But with the original electronics equipment. Good luck vs a decked out 2008 F16 with Israeli training to boot.

Iranian pilots proved themselves in the Iran-Iraq War. I don't know where you got the information that Iranian pilots are not capable of taking out fighters. The Arabs sent Iraq their best pilots and aircraft. The Iranians continued to shoot them down. Israel is #2 to air-air kill ratio Iran is #3. Not that much of a difference. U.S is #1.

Iran flew at least a dozen F-14s, Mirages, Migs, Sus, etc at their little publicity stunt last month.

http://www.airliners.net/photo...iG-29UB-(9-51)/1349418
I spot 12 of them.

This is one picture out of many. There are videos all over youtube too.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: RichardE

It will not be Israel who attacks Iran. It will be Israel telling the U.S to attack Iran and the U.S listening
F-22 > ALL

Those F-14s havent flown in in nearly 30 years. Even if they somehow could get parts for them on the black market. I dont think their training would allow them to fair well against the Israeli's.

Iranian F-14s fly and they fly in high numbers. Iran has stockpiled on spare parts and has gotten Russian assistance.

The U.S installed all their training for the F-14 inside Iran. The simulations and everything are inside Iran not in the U.S.

Except they are still at a major disadvantage and Israel is willing to sacrifice a few pilots if it thinks it will save another modern day holocaust attempt from happening. Not to mention the fact Israel has been upgrading its F16's continuesly when Iran has not been upgrading the F14....(not to mention the insane difference between the two planes that give the F16 an advantage). The radar might be an issue though, but even than the strike will still happen, if not with many casualties. (Perhaps even with a F16 "acting like there bombing" when an American bomber actually delivers the payload).

The Iranian F-14 will spot the F-16 before the F-16 spots the F-14.

Iran also upgraded their Mig-29s too with the Tor-M1 deal. It flew some Mirage F1s too (don't know how good that plane is).

Why would Israel do the job when the U.S can just send in 1 F-22 to take out everything?
Nothing in Iran or China or Russia could detect an F-22 and take it out. F-22 will own Iran.

Well, as I said that was my second theory of the attack. is A bunch of F16's flying defensively ect with a US aircraft from afar delivering the payload. I for one would love to see a strike on the reactor before it is loaded with much fuel to prevent civilian causalities. To those who think Iran should have a bomb lets not forget Iraqs attempt at a bomb

Deterrence was not attained by other countries ? France and Italy ? and even the United States. It was attained by the State of Israel and its Prime Minister who decided, acted and created a fact that no one in the world today ? with the exception of our enemies ? regrets." ? Yitzhak Shamir

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Give me a break you are using their performance 20 years ago against Iraq as proof of their quality? The same Iraqi air force who twice fled to neighboring countries to not get shot down by American fighters?

kk

As for the pic hard to say. It could be Iranian, it could be anybody who flies F14s, it could be photo shopped. Either way 12 F-14s without the electronic gear of today that are jerry rigged to fly arent a problem.

Remember these are the Israeli's who were supposed to be shot down by the latest and greatest Russian missile defense systems. Yet they obliterated a nuke reactor in Syria and regularily do fly overs of the Syrians leaders home.

tvarad

Golden Member
Jun 25, 2001
Aimster:

"Iranian F-14s fly and they fly in high numbers. Iran has stockpiled on spare parts and has gotten Russian assistance.

The U.S installed all their training for the F-14 inside Iran. The simulations and everything are inside Iran not in the U.S."

When well-maintained, modern U.S. planes themselves are under stress, I don't see how '70s era airplanes maintained with junkyard spares are going to be much of a threat. Remember that these planes have also been through the Iran-Iraq war, thus it's doubtful if they're in any condition to match what Israel has.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: event8horizon
one has gotta look at where this nuclear intel came from....
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/t...ast/article3137695.ece

The Turks and Israelis had planted ?moles? in military and academic institutions which handled nuclear technology. Edmonds says there were several transactions of nuclear material every month, with the Pakistanis being among the eventual buyers. ?The network appeared to be obtaining information from every nuclear agency in the United States,? she said.

They were helped, she says, by the high-ranking State Department official who provided some of their moles ? mainly PhD students ? with security clearance to work in sensitive nuclear research facilities. These included the Los Alamos nuclear laboratory in New Mexico, which is responsible for the security of the US nuclear deterrent.

The Turks, she says, often acted as a conduit for the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI), Pakistan?s spy agency, because they were less likely to attract suspicion. Venues such as the American Turkish Council in Washington were used to drop off the cash, which was picked up by the official.

The Pakistani operation was led by General Mahmoud Ahmad, then the ISI chief.

Intercepted communications showed Ahmad and his colleagues stationed in Washington were in constant contact with attachés in the Turkish embassy.

The results of the espionage were almost certainly passed to Abdul Qadeer Khan, the Pakistani nuclear scientist.

Khan was close to Ahmad and the ISI. While running Pakistan?s nuclear programme, he became a millionaire by selling atomic secrets to Libya, Iran and North Korea. He also used a network of companies in America and Britain to obtain components for a nuclear programme.

***it looks as though the israeli's helped iran get to where they are!!!

Such is the case with politics. We gave Saddam much of his weaponry, and Irans weapons it will use against Israel were provided by us. Politics is too much of a "for the moment" deal. :)

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Why shouldn't Arab nations support an attack on the USA after what we have done and are doing to Iraq?

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Give me a break you are using their performance 20 years ago against Iraq as proof of their quality? The same Iraqi air force who twice fled to neighboring countries to not get shot down by American fighters?

kk

As for the pic hard to say. It could be Iranian, it could be anybody who flies F14s, it could be photo shopped. Either way 12 F-14s without the electronic gear of today that are jerry rigged to fly arent a problem.

Remember these are the Israeli's who were supposed to be shot down by the latest and greatest Russian missile defense systems. Yet they obliterated a nuke reactor in Syria and regularily do fly overs of the Syrians leaders home.

Israel's air record is 20 years old as well. Syria doesn't even have an air force. Nothing in Syria's air force matches an Iranian F-14. Iran flew a drone over a U.S aircraft carrier twice. Does this mean the U.S air force's defenses suck?
Israel defeated the Arabs and got a great air-air record because of it. Iran defeated the Arabs and got a great air-air record because of it. Both of these events happened many many years ago.

The picture is not fake. There are hundreds of pictures of the event all over the Internet as well as videos. I posted one picture. No country is currently flying the F-14. No country has it except for Iran.

The F-14 was the F-22 of the 70s.
I used to think it was a piece of crap too until I looked more into it. It might be old but it is very capable. Go look up a thread about the Iranian F-14. I called it junk and members were all over me.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: dahunan
Why shouldn't Arab nations support an attack on the USA after what we have done and are doing to Iraq?

heh, they already are. Or do you think these people are popping out of no where?

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005

kk

Israel's air record is 20 years old as well. Syria doesn't even have an air force. Nothing in Syria's air force matches an Iranian F-14. Iran flew a drone over a U.S aircraft carrier twice. Does this mean the U.S air force's defenses suck?
Israel defeated the Arabs and got a great air-air record because of it. Iran defeated the Arabs and got a great air-air record because of it. Both of these events happened many many years ago.

The picture is not fake. There are hundreds of pictures of the event all over the Internet as well as videos. I posted one picture. No country is currently flying the F-14. No country has it except for Iran.

The F-14 was the F-22 of the 70s.
I used to think it was a piece of crap too until I looked more into it. It might be old but it is very capable. Go look up a thread about the Iranian F-14. I called it junk and members were all over me.

I'm sure a few really well maintained tanks from the 50's and 60's could take out the US tanks from the 80's and 90's that were upgrades with modern systems as well :roll: I understand the hope but it won't happen.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Originally posted by: tvarad
Aimster:

"Iranian F-14s fly and they fly in high numbers. Iran has stockpiled on spare parts and has gotten Russian assistance.

The U.S installed all their training for the F-14 inside Iran. The simulations and everything are inside Iran not in the U.S."

When well-maintained, modern U.S. planes themselves are under stress, I don't see how '70s era airplanes maintained with junkyard spares are going to be much of a threat. Remember that these planes have also been through the Iran-Iraq war, thus it's doubtful if they're in any condition to match what Israel has.

If they fly and if they are armed they can take out Israeli F-16s. We are not talking about a dogfight here.

The F-14s radar is what makes it dangerous and the type of missiles they can carry. There are many reports that suggest Russia upgraded their engines and even gave them missiles that have the same range as the Phoenix missiles. There are even reports Russia was given one of the F-14s in exchange for such support.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Socio

Considering the useless failed sanctions and the numerous threats of complete destruction leveled against them by Iran I can't blame them. If they(Iran) are not willing to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt they are not proliferating nuclear weapons then Israel is justified to err on the side of caution, assume they are, and blow their crap to hell and gone.

Bullshit. Israel has no right to attack Iranian facilities. An unprovoked attack on Iran would be a war crime under the Nuremberg Principles.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Aimster:

If they fly and if they are armed they can take out Israeli F-16s. We are not talking about a dogfight here.

The F-14s radar is what makes it dangerous and the type of missiles they can carry. There are many reports that suggest Russia upgraded their engines and even gave them missiles that have the same range as the Phoenix missiles. There are even reports Russia was given one of the F-14s in exchange for such support.

There are also reports Russia sold Iran 300 Su-30's, I guess if that is true Israel will be demolished. Reminds em of the Iraq foreign minister "Troops are not in Baghdad"

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: ironwing

Considering the useless failed sanctions and the numerous threats of complete destruction leveled against them by Iran I can't blame them. If they(Iran) are not willing to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt they are not proliferating nuclear weapons then Israel is justified to err on the side of caution, assume they are, and blow their crap to hell and gone.

Bullshit. Israel has no right to attack Iranian facilities. An unprovoked attack on Iran would be a war crime under the Nuremberg Principles.

Actually, it would be legal under anticipatory self-defense.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005

F-22 > ALL

Israel has roughly 1000 aircraft in its airforce and its pilots are arguably the best trained and most skilled in the world. And pilots have to be short to fit in most cockpits and Jews generally come in XS, S, and M, resulting in a natural aviator body :) It would not be a close fight. You sound like Iraq claiming they would "crush" and "destroy" the american forces if they invaded.

Not to mention the training program requirements for Israeli air force, which is insane:

Potential Israeli pilots are marked out several years prior to reporting for national service at age 18, based on factors such as high scores in school and on standardized tests, excellent physical condition and exceptional loyalty to the state. Those who meet these and other criteria are invited to participate in a six-day gibush (cohesion), a selection phase involving physical, mental, and sociometric challenges. Recruits are screened not only for their ability to perform the tasks assigned, but for their attitude in performing them ?such as how they take hardships and unexpected difficulties, how well they work in groups and how they approach problem solving and disaster management situations. As many as 90 percent of those who commence the gibush will be dropped from further consideration at its conclusion. (The physical demands of the gibush have been lessened recently, following the death of a participant in 2006.)

Those who pass the gibush embark on a three-year journey to their wings, which includes not only learning to fly, but learning how to be an officer and how to lead, while simultaneously pursuing an academic degree. Part of the course involves spending time as an officer in an infantry unit, so the future pilot will know what his comrades on the ground expect from the air force. At each stage of the process, quizzes and exams become more frequent and difficult and assessments by instructors become sharper and more demanding, leading to more and more recruits being dropped from the course. Depending on how far the candidate progresses, someone expelled from the course at an advanced stage will either remain in the air force in a non-flying capacity, or transfer to an army unit.

For the few dozen who make it to graduation, only those with the highest academic and leadership scores are assigned to train as fast jet pilots (considered the most desirable assignment), while the remainder will learn to fly helicopters, transport aircraft, or train as navigators.[3]

Jebeelzabub

Mar 7, 2008

Iranian pilots proved themselves in the Iran-Iraq War. I don't know where you got the information that Iranian pilots are not capable of taking out fighters. The Arabs sent Iraq their best pilots and aircraft. The Iranians continued to shoot them down. Israel is #2 to air-air kill ratio Iran is #3. Not that much of a difference. U.S is #1.

Iran flew at least a dozen F-14s, Mirages, Migs, Sus, etc at their little publicity stunt last month.

I spot 12 of them.

Your faith in the Iranian armed forces strikes me as incredibly unjustified. Just go back and look at some of the real world results when Israel has fought with their neighbors. It's almost always an incredibly one-sided affair. I think the last time they tangled seriously with the Syrians, the air-to-air shoot down ratio was something like 60-1.

The Israeli armed forces are probably the best trained, most experienced armed forces in the world. If you think some 30 year old F14s are gonna do squat against a top-of-the-line Israeli strike force, you're simply delusional. There's no way the Iranians have even 10 percent of the air time as the Israelis (and experience counts far more towards success in air to air combat than some slight technological edge). They simply couldn't fly those F14s much with the limited availability (black market access or not, something I'm highly dubious over) of parts.

Mig 29s? LOL, while those might be marginally better than a stock F-16 on paper, they'd be chaff against the Israeli airforce.

I know you base all this on the success Hezbollah had against Israel during the Lebanese war a few years back, but putting a few tanks out of action is apples and oranges compared to defending against an Israeli surprise attack, using their best planes, and their best pilots, in a mission that to them represents defense of their nation against a possible nuclear holocaust.

Regards,

Jebeelzabub

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Aimster:

There are also reports Russia sold Iran 300 Su-30's, I guess if that is true Israel will be demolished. Reminds em of the Iraq foreign minister "Troops are not in Baghdad"

There is nothing to prove Iran has S-300 or doesn't.

However, given the fact that Iranian F-14s are flying and look better than new in their pictures one has to assume they are getting assistance. Iran also orders aircraft engines from Russia rather than fighter jets. These engines have to go somewhere.

The aircraft can be from the 1970s but it is a threat. I don't think anyone will disagree with this comment:
If Iranian F-14s are flying they are a threat to Israeli F-16s and can very likely take them out.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001

There is no imminent threat.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Originally posted by: jonks

F-22 > ALL

Israel has roughly 1000 aircraft in its airforce and its pilots are arguably the best trained and most skilled in the world. And pilots have to be short to fit in most cockpits and Jews generally come in XS, S, and M, resulting in a natural aviator body :) It would not be a close fight. You sound like Iraq claiming they would "crush" and "destroy" the american forces if they invaded.

Israel does not have 1,000 aircraft that can reach Iran, but thanks for trying.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003

F-22 > ALL

Show me some proof of this. At best they have stripped down F-14's from the late 1970's with training from that period. Versus Israelis with F-16s and the latest electronics and vastly superior training.

Every documentary I have seen that mentions those F-14s everybody admits they would have had a hard time flying them within 2 weeks of the embargo. Which is the reason why we didnt bomb the planes on the ground. Decided to just let time take its toll. 30 years later and they are still flying them in high numbers? How high exactly? They only recieved 79 of them?

edit: I found some article talking about a resotratoin project the Iranians started in 2002. Reportedly with the help of a black market they are claiming 3 of them are flying. But with the original electronics equipment. Good luck vs a decked out 2008 F16 with Israeli training to boot.

I spot 12 of them.

Text see page 16

according to this, as of Feb 2006, Iran had 20 F-14's in service (out of 59) along with 35 MiG-29's...they also have 39 F-4 Phantoms :Q

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Aimster:

you really think OIL PROFITS and NATURAL GAS PROFITS haven't bought SHIT YOU AND AIMSTER DON'T HAVE A CLUE ABOUT?

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Aimster:

However, given the fact that Iranian F-14s are flying and look better than new in their pictures one has to assume they are getting assistance. Iran also orders aircraft engines from Russia rather than fighter jets. These engines have to go somewhere.

The aircraft can be from the 1970s but it is a threat. I don't think anyone will disagree with this comment:
If Iranian F-14s are flying they are a threat to Israeli F-16s and can very likely take them out.

Whatever makes you sleep better at night. Obviously any plane in the air *can* be a threat, a commercial airliner could potentially take out a F16 Israel plane, the real question is how realistic that is.

As well, if you truly believe Iran propaganda, they have a few hundred Russian/Chinese plans all ready to deploy at a minutes notice. Seriously, basing your assumptions off a photograph "oh they look they are doing ok" is reaching.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005

There is no imminent threat.

Development of nuclear capabilities while publicly calling for the destruction of a country is a imminent threat to that country.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Originally posted by: spacejamz

F-22 > ALL

I spot 12 of them.

Text

according to this, as of Feb 2006, Iran had 20 F-14's in service (out of 59) along with 35 MiG-29's...they also have 39 F-4 Phantoms :Q

I am sure that article knows exactly what they are talking about. Nobody knows the state of Iran's air force.

Iranian F-14s aren't even supposed to be flying.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: dahunan
Aimster:

you really think OIL PROFITS and NATURAL GAS PROFITS haven't bought SHIT YOU AND AIMSTER DON'T HAVE A CLUE ABOUT?

Your ignorance of Irans internal politics is overwhelming.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Aimster:

Whatever makes you sleep better at night. Obviously any plane in the air *can* be a threat, a commercial airliner could potentially take out a F16 Israel plane, the real question is how realistic that is.

As well, if you truly believe Iran propaganda, they have a few hundred Russian/Chinese plans all ready to deploy at a minutes notice. Seriously, basing your assumptions off a photograph "oh they look they are doing ok" is reaching.

You're just making a fool out of yourself.

Anyone will tell you than an F-14 is a threat to F-16s.
How the hell can you sit here and tell me "haha that is a joke. An F-16 will easily take out an F-14".
It sounds to me like you don't know what u r talking about. You can try to educate yourself or you can continue to make these claims "it is newer it must win" in every single one of ur posts.