Olmert deputy says attack on Iran 'unavoidable'

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002
Olmert deputy says attack on Iran 'unavoidable'

An Israeli attack on Iranian nuclear sites looks ?unavoidable? given the apparent failure of sanctions to deny Tehran technology with bomb-making potential, one of Prime Minister Ehud Olmert?s deputies said Friday.

?If Iran continues with its program for developing nuclear weapons, we will attack it. The sanctions are ineffective,? Transport Minister Shaul Mofaz told the mass-circulation Yedioth Ahronoth newspaper.

?Attacking Iran, in order to stop its nuclear plans, will be unavoidable,? said the former army chief who has also been defense minister

Considering the useless failed sanctions and the numerous threats of complete destruction leveled against them by Iran I can't blame them. If they(Iran) are not willing to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt they are not proliferating nuclear weapons then Israel is justified to err on the side of caution, assume they are, and blow their crap to hell and gone.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
Developing nuclear weapons while at the same time talking about wiping a nearby country off the map isnt the best way to inspire confidence in your ability to use restraint with said weapons. I'd say Iran is asking for it, though I dont think Israel has the capability to severely damage Iran's nuclear capability, given how widespread and protected their facilities are.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Is it the same "beyond shadow of a doubt" that led us to invade Iraq? Gray levels are very fascinating.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
may be a simplistic question with complex answers but i'll ask it anyway out of curiosity - how is it that the israeli's have no qualms about bombing secret nuke facilities in other places but up to now has hesitated to go after iran's stuff?

they've already done it twice now, haven't they? maybe they're just waiting for the go-ahead from cheney and bush?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I cannot really blame them at this point, with the Iranian president frequently talking smack. I'm not saying I support the idea, but hell, it is being asked for. I realize amad has low approval ratings, but if Iran really cared, they'd reign him in.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: tweaker2
may be a simplistic question with complex answers but i'll ask it anyway out of curiosity - how is it that the israeli's have no qualms about bombing secret nuke facilities in other places but up to now has hesitated to go after iran's stuff?

they've already done it twice now, haven't they? maybe they're just waiting for the go-ahead from cheney and bush?

Due to the very real consequence of repercussions falling on American Soldiers in Iraq. Iran cannot strike Israel atm, but they can strike Iraq. This is sort of like the warning shot to the US of either "Do something, or we will sorry".

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: RichardE

Due to the very real consequence of repercussions falling on American Soldiers in Iraq. Iran cannot strike Israel atm, but they can strike Iraq. This is sort of like the warning shot to the US of either "Do something, or we will sorry".
Are you sure? Seems to me Israel would strongly benefit by Iran attacking Americans in Iraq, as it would force the US into a corner.

It's POSSIBLE Israel has yet to hit Iran (and yes they've done this twice now) because the program is more pervasive and advanced and instead of a single site in Syria, they'd end up hitting multiple ones including ones that Iran has admitted to and are probably legal (for energy use) and thus Iran will have a major hissy fit.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Skoorb

Are you sure? Seems to me Israel would strongly benefit by Iran attacking Americans in Iraq, as it would force the US into a corner.

It's POSSIBLE Israel has yet to hit Iran (and yes they've done this twice now) because the program is more pervasive and advanced and instead of a single site in Syria, they'd end up hitting multiple ones including ones that Iran has admitted to and are probably legal (for energy use) and thus Iran will have a major hissy fit.

Yes, but at the same time do you want the US attacking Iran and threatening China/Russia investments? The entire area is like a ticking time bomb to a multi country war. Even than though, its not likely to turn into a US vs China Russia war, but more of a US attacks Iran, China puts more pressure on the US dollar, Russia plays fuck you with Europe heres some more expensive energy. There are just too many ways for an attack on Iran to actually hurt Europe/US civilians as well as as a whole.

But, if Israel attacks Iran, China and Russia will stay out of it for the most part (already they have been bitching at Iran for bringing it on themselves.). As much as the Arabs cannot make a distinction between US/Israel, the rest of the world can and does. (For example, what will China do when one of there arms dealer attacks there energy dealer? Probably sit back and ask Israel not to destroy Iran's infrastructure since China needs both of them).

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003
An Attack on Iran b Israel will make everyone rethink their strategic alliances which may lead a major regional war. I for one would support fully my country if it declared war on Israel as retaliation to an attack by it on Iran.

ranmaniac

Golden Member
May 14, 2001
I'm sure China will be thrilled to see their $200 billion dollar energy deals go down the drain if Iran gets leveled.

MiniDoom

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2004
Originally posted by: The Green Bean
An Attack on Iran b Israel will make everyone rethink their strategic alliances which may lead a major regional war. I for one would support fully my country if it declared war on Israel as retaliation to an attack by it on Iran.

Are you Iranian? if not, why do you care?

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: ranmaniac
I'm sure China will be thrilled to see their $200 billion dollar energy deals go down the drain if Iran gets leveled.

They can't attack Israel in anyway though because of the technology Israel gives China. The most China can do is "look Iran, shut the fuck up already" or "Israel, please don't hit our infrastructure"

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Why do you care about Iran? What do you really think about a neighbor constantly saying you're going to die while also working on a nuclear program (assuming they are, which they probably are and I say that even as I am critical of the Iraq war and the bullsh*t fed to support it by Dub).

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
I would like to know how Israel plans on attacking Iranian nuclear sites

Iranian F-14s will be a good match against Israeli F-16s
& what about all the air defense systems?

It will not be Israel who attacks Iran. It will be Israel telling the U.S to attack Iran and the U.S listening
F-22 > ALL

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Iran is simply too big, too far away, and its nuclear sites are too deeply buried to be threatened by Israel. And Olmert is up to his eyeball in a corruption scandal that threatens to topple his fragile coalition. And when your government is in that kind of position, its clearly time for your transportation minister to scream terror terror terror so the focus, for a moment, is off Olmert and what a corrupt SOB he is turning out to be. Pseudo Patriotism is always the last refuge of scoundrels.

Now that another myth is debunked, you can all go back and resume your unthinking lives secure in the knowledge that this thread is simply a bunch of hot air. And Ahmadinejad is not the only motor mouth in the mid-east.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003

First off Pakistan does not like Iran. Iran would pick India over Pakistan if the two nations went to war.

2nd If Israel attacks Iranian nuclear sites what makes you think Iran won't do the same thing in return?

Let the two nations play I bomb u I bomb u back. Let your nation stay out of it.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Originally posted by: ranmaniac

There are hundreds of thousands of Iranian Jews. The defense minister of Israel used to be Iranian.

Israel will not level Iran. It will simply attack them with a missile that 99.9% of Iranian won't find out about till they read it in the paper or hear about it on the T.V

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Aimster

It will not be Israel who attacks Iran. It will be Israel telling the U.S to attack Iran and the U.S listening
F-22 > ALL

Those F-14s havent flown in in nearly 30 years. Even if they somehow could get parts for them on the black market. I dont think their training would allow them to fair well against the Israeli's.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Originally posted by: Genx87

F-22 > ALL

Those F-14s havent flown in in nearly 30 years. Even if they somehow could get parts for them on the black market. I dont think their training would allow them to fair well against the Israeli's.

Iranian F-14s fly and they fly in high numbers. Iran has stockpiled on spare parts and has gotten Russian assistance.

The U.S installed all their training for the F-14 inside Iran. The simulations and everything are inside Iran not in the U.S.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Lemon law
Iran is simply too big, too far away, and its nuclear sites are too deeply buried to be threatened by Israel. And Olmert is up to his eyeball in a corruption scandal that threatens to topple his fragile coalition. And when your government is in that kind of position, its clearly time for your transportation minister to scream terror terror terror so the focus, for a moment, is off Olmert and what a corrupt SOB he is turning out to be. Pseudo Patriotism is always the last refuge of scoundrels.

Now that another myth is debunked, you can all go back and resume your unthinking lives secure in the knowledge that this thread is simply a bunch of hot air. And Ahmadinejad is not the only motor mouth in the mid-east.

Except that the US has already sold bombs that can dig down to the Iran nuclear sites to Israel. Olmert is up to his eyeballs in scandals yes, but you don't seem to understand what it means to be an Israeli jew. Unlike the US where the scandal with Bill kept him from acting decisively against Osama and AQ when he had the chance for fear of even more bad press, Israelites can distinguish between personal scandal, and doing what needs to be done for the country.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005

F-22 > ALL

Iranian F-14s fly and they fly in high numbers. Iran has stockpiled on spare parts and has gotten Russian assistance.

The U.S installed all their training for the F-14 inside Iran. The simulations and everything are inside Iran not in the U.S.

Except they are still at a major disadvantage and Israel is willing to sacrifice a few pilots if it thinks it will save another modern day holocaust attempt from happening. Not to mention the fact Israel has been upgrading its F16's continuesly when Iran has not been upgrading the F14....(not to mention the insane difference between the two planes that give the F16 an advantage). The radar might be an issue though, but even than the strike will still happen, if not with many casualties. (Perhaps even with a F16 "acting like there bombing" when an American bomber actually delivers the payload).

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

F-22 > ALL

Show me some proof of this. At best they have stripped down F-14's from the late 1970's with training from that period. Versus Israelis with F-16s and the latest electronics and vastly superior training.

Every documentary I have seen that mentions those F-14s everybody admits they would have had a hard time flying them within 2 weeks of the embargo. Which is the reason why we didnt bomb the planes on the ground. Decided to just let time take its toll. 30 years later and they are still flying them in high numbers? How high exactly? They only recieved 79 of them?

edit: I found some article talking about a resotratoin project the Iranians started in 2002. Reportedly with the help of a black market they are claiming 3 of them are flying. But with the original electronics equipment. Good luck vs a decked out 2008 F16 with Israeli training to boot.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003

F-22 > ALL

Except they are still at a major disadvantage and Israel is willing to sacrifice a few pilots if it thinks it will save another modern day holocaust attempt from happening. Not to mention the fact Israel has been upgrading its F16's continuesly when Iran has not been upgrading the F14....(not to mention the insane difference between the two planes that give the F16 an advantage). The radar might be an issue though, but even than the strike will still happen, if not with many casualties. (Perhaps even with a F16 "acting like there bombing" when an American bomber actually delivers the payload).

The Iranian F-14 will spot the F-16 before the F-16 spots the F-14.

Iran also upgraded their Mig-29s too with the Tor-M1 deal. It flew some Mirage F1s too (don't know how good that plane is).

Why would Israel do the job when the U.S can just send in 1 F-22 to take out everything?
Nothing in Iran or China or Russia could detect an F-22 and take it out. F-22 will own Iran.

event8horizon

Nov 15, 2007
one has gotta look at where this nuclear intel came from....
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/t...ast/article3137695.ece

The Turks and Israelis had planted ?moles? in military and academic institutions which handled nuclear technology. Edmonds says there were several transactions of nuclear material every month, with the Pakistanis being among the eventual buyers. ?The network appeared to be obtaining information from every nuclear agency in the United States,? she said.

They were helped, she says, by the high-ranking State Department official who provided some of their moles ? mainly PhD students ? with security clearance to work in sensitive nuclear research facilities. These included the Los Alamos nuclear laboratory in New Mexico, which is responsible for the security of the US nuclear deterrent.

The Turks, she says, often acted as a conduit for the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI), Pakistan?s spy agency, because they were less likely to attract suspicion. Venues such as the American Turkish Council in Washington were used to drop off the cash, which was picked up by the official.

The Pakistani operation was led by General Mahmoud Ahmad, then the ISI chief.

Intercepted communications showed Ahmad and his colleagues stationed in Washington were in constant contact with attachés in the Turkish embassy.

The results of the espionage were almost certainly passed to Abdul Qadeer Khan, the Pakistani nuclear scientist.

Khan was close to Ahmad and the ISI. While running Pakistan?s nuclear programme, he became a millionaire by selling atomic secrets to Libya, Iran and North Korea. He also used a network of companies in America and Britain to obtain components for a nuclear programme.

***it looks as though the israeli's helped iran get to where they are!!!