Old thread revived: Need help naming a rig

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
Dec 30, 2016

This thread started off as needing names for two new 'twin' systems.

Then along came Devastator, with a similar but different CPU, whose name came from this thread as well.

And now a fourth system is shaping up: Skeletor!

Additionally, BumbleBee, WUSS, and Devastator will be getting re-chipped to match Skeletor, so instead of twins, I'm going to have quadruplets! :D

latest

Last edited:

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
Nah. :) Each was named their name for a reason.

Bee has his yellow case.

Devastator was supposed to be a 7 GPU monster.

W.U.S.S. was a creative name provided by Rudy Toody (work unit stealing system).

And Skeletor....well, you'll have to wait for pictures to see why he will be named such, once he's born anyway.

Reactions: Orange Kid

Orange Kid

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Bee = Human Torch
Devastator = Thing
W.U.S.S = Mr. Fantastic
Skeletor = Invisible Woman
pretty much the same
...but I understand :)

Reactions: TennesseeTony

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
April 2017

Previously, on "I need help naming a rig," Tony got all sorts of nuts trying, and failing miserably, to build a 7 GPU monster rig. Later, he upgraded his three Xeon's to all have the same processors, and added a 4th system, with intentions of selling the replaced CPUs. And that, is where this story begins....

After 30 days on ebay, and numerous price drops, my pair of Xeon E5-2695v3's did not sell. So now what? I can't just have them sitting here on my desk, now can I?

Less than 5 months later, and it's time for ANOTHER build.

Parts are in transit, so hopefully it will be assembled over the weekend if there are no complications. Some parts were bought, some laying around the house already, collecting dust.

Parts list:

Xeon E5-2695v3 (x2) (for a total of 28 cores, 56 threads)
Used Motherboard- A risky choice, perhaps
Used 32GB RAM, ECC, Hynix
Used Samsung 850 Pro SSD
Used Corsair 1200w PSU
Used GTX1080 Founder's Edition (x4)
Used CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO (x2)
Open air case, like Skeletor's (pictured 2 posts up)
Windows 10, although I certainly plan to try Ubuntu

EP2C612%20WS-2(M).jpg

I'll be swapping out parts here and there, putting those monster sized Noctua's elsewhere, so as to steal the more compact coolers, swapping cards, etc.

Current Folding at home tests for a pair of the 1080's is disappointing, at 550-600k ppd per card, but they keep getting the same low-paying 10496 series tasks, over and over again. With a proper mixture of tasks, I'm hoping for 2.8Mppd from this machine. My hope for Devastator was 3M, but using 7 980Ti's and an additional :eek: 1030 watts (and a 2nd PSU). Wow, I really was nuts trying to build Devastator that way.

Since the case will match Skeletor, I originally considered naming it He-Man. Fortunately, upon re-reading this thread, reason set in, and I re-discovered a perfectly good name for this one in the first post: Thunderstrike, to go along with Mjolnir. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: iwajabitw

iwajabitw

Aug 19, 2014
Cool Tony! Quick question about Xeon's or your Xeons. Which one is compatible with my x99 v3 mobo housing the i7 5820k?

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
First MB DOA. New MB finally arrived, roughly assembled and running 56 threads of WCG, 100% load (onboard GPU for now). Very happy with the energy usage at the wall so far. Chassis mounting, and at least 2, hopefully 4 Founder Edition 1080's coming soon.

2nauq1d.jpg

Here he is with only a triple card install for the moment.
2mdjxpe.jpg

The 2nd and 4th cards will be using risers to allow more air into the fans.
2n01pq1.jpg

And due to the format of the Motherboard, I had to make a plexiglass/lexan tray for it, which is then mounted using more standoffs to the ATX pattern of the chassis.
17dbbb.jpg

So far I only ran a few dozen PG Sieve tasks on the cards, to test functionality of the board, and to especially test that double stacked rigid riser system I have going on there for the 2nd card. MSI Afterburner had to be employed to bump up the fan speeds of course, stock settings were happy to just spin at only 40% while allowing the cards to throttle due to thermals.

Power usage at the wall increased 177w per card (TDP of 180w), topping out at 890 watts for the system at 100%. That should put the system at 1080w give or take, with some more fans, and the 4th GTX1080. That's only about 980w coming out of the 1200w PSU after the efficiency conversion (91% at this load), plenty of margin for a quality PSU, in my opinion. May gain a percent or two once I get it on 240V mains also.

I'll get the 4th card installed tomorrow most likely, tidy up some wiring, break out the air compressor for some dusting, then you guys can start to expect seeing the results and hearing the name ThunderStrike occasionally. ;)

******** NOW FULLY ARMED AND OPERATIONAL ********

With Quad 1080's it pulls a matching 1080w from the wall at full tilt. :)
dzew7.jpg

It's okay, you can look at my butt:

4gsnzc.jpg

Kinda looks like a fleet of Next Generation Shuttles docked at a Spaceport.

edit: All my old pics are gone, so here is an update.
170503_185626_COLLAGE-1.jpg

Last edited:

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
I was concerned about air flow to the cards naturally, but I am generally happy with the results, and am able to maintain targeted temp (75C) at about 80% fan usage (higher speed than I hoped for, not much reserve cooling), while running Einstein (2 tasks per card).

Although 2 concurrent Einstein tasks utilize near 100% of each card, other projects utilize nearly 100% of the power, so they (Folding at Home, PrimeGrid) will be the real thermal test.

dd2drq.png