Olbermann looking to get upward of $4mm +

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6400553.html

Olbermann and MSNBC are knocking heads over a new contract. The controversial host of Countdown With Keith Olbermann is said to be seeking "north of $4 million" a year, according to an industry source, to re-up on his pact that comes due in April. That would represent roughly a four-fold increase over his current deal, believed to be in the $1 million-per-year range.

When I had cable I used to watch him everyday, but my Dish Network plan doesn't get me MSNBC =/

He really is the bloodline of MSNBC, and along with Jon Stewart/Colbert (whom I despise..but I digress) is probably one of the main reasons that young people are caring about the news and politics.

I'd say he's worth every penny if for no other reason than that.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
I don't watch cable news networks, but if I did I think his is the only show I can think of that I'd watch.

slsmnaz

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2005
MSNBC doesn't have the money to pay him. They are the least watched channel in their group. Olbermann should have stuck with sportscenter.

dbk

Lifer
Apr 23, 2004
He takes himself way too seriously sometimes. Remember, you worked at ESPN, much like Craig Kilborne.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: j00fek
what does conedy central have to do with msnbc?

Nothing. You misread his comment. He was saying that like Stewart/Colbert, Olberman appeals to young people.

KarenMarie

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2003
Originally posted by: ornament
He takes himself way too seriously sometimes. Remember, you worked at ESPN, much like Craig Kilborne.

Dunno why... but that just made me laugh.
:D

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ornament

I think that's part of his appeal. Keith can come across as being strikingly serious at one point, yet move onto light-hearted topics with ease and make the switch appear seamless.

I watch Olbermann, Stewart and Colbert nightly. And that's how they rank to me in terms of seriousness.

Olbermann: serious/funny
Stewart: semi-serious/sarcastic/funny
Colbert: over-the-top parody/funny

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Anybody that can get young people today interested in the news is worth the money. Maybe they'd actually vote if they were informed.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: JS80
he has the worst rating in cable news...reflects how unfunny he is.
You don't think he's funny because he's always criticizing your boy Bush for being such a Moron and a lousy President.

Jun 27, 2005
Wouldn't it be funny if Fox News snatched him up and put him on right after O'Reilly? :laugh:

MSNBC better just pay him. He's the only show on that network that rates a blip on the ratngs.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
If young people are going to Olbermann for news and information I worry about our youth.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Queasy
If young people are going to Olbermann for news and information I worry about our youth.
You prefer them to go to Hannity, O'Riely or Limbaugh?

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Well, they are definitely going to Stewart and Colbert, so why not Olbermann.

I wore my Stewart/Colbert '08 t-shirt this past weekend for the first time and I got about 5 "I love your shirt" comments -- something I never get. All of them were mid-20's to early 30's.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999

I agree. Obviously anyone in the 63+ percent who are against the iraq war are fringe lunatic moron teenagers:D ;)

slsmnaz

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Phokus

I agree. Obviously anyone in the 63+ percent who are against the iraq war are fringe lunatic moron teenagers:D ;)

The point is that 62% of those people do NOT watch his show. His ratings do not warrant the cash.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

I prefer none of them actually. Olbermann is the worse of the lot though.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: slsmnaz

The point is that 62% of those people do NOT watch his show. His ratings do not warrant the cash.

Olbermann is looking for such a big pay raise because Countdown has been on fire, playing a big part in the current audience uptick at the network. In the key 25-54 demo, its ratings are up 25% year-to-date and an astounding 75% so far in the fourth quarter.
:confused:

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

I prefer none of them actually. Olbermann is the worse of the lot though.
Well at least according to you.

slsmnaz

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: NFS4
Originally posted by: slsmnaz

Olbermann is looking for such a big pay raise because Countdown has been on fire, playing a big part in the current audience uptick at the network. In the key 25-54 demo, its ratings are up 25% year-to-date and an astounding 75% so far in the fourth quarter.
:confused:

Ratings are up does not mean he gets many viewers. It is easier to raise smaller numbers by a large % than larger ones.

You need to re-read what I quoted and replied to.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
North of 4 million for a guy who sits behind a desk and yaps his mouth. But when a CEO who runs a multi-national corporation recieves 4 million in compensation he is overpaid and is raping and pillaging the stock holders.

I find it funny the pass the left gives to people in the media and celebrities for their high salaries.