Okay, its currently -18F out. Where are all the global warming freaks?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Amused
Originally posted by: sandorski
Originally posted by: Amused
I'm not going to debate global warming/climate change or it's causes.

I merely want to point out that environmental groups and the cause have destroyed their credibility by allowing themselves to be taken over by anti-capitalist, anti-industry radicals. So much so that anything they say, or anything related to them is bound to be immediately disbelieved by a large chunk of the population. The only thing that separates many of these lunatics from Ted Kaczynski is a Montana cabin and a few bombs.

If they want environmental concerns taken seriously, they need to dump the radicals and nutjobs.

Unfortunetly for your position, it is not Environmentalists that push the Science of GW forward. It is Scientists doing so. Environmental Groups are merely vocal about the issue.

"My position" is irrelevant. Who is doing the pushing is irrelevant.

The fact of the matter is, it's an environmental issue and the environmental cause has been irreparably damaged by leftist radicalism.

Ok, I can agree on that.

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005
Global warming is a myth.

But I wouldn't mind our negative temps going to upper positives right now.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
I wish I could start a global warming thread in which any mention of commies or lefties or neocons or fascists, any even vaguely personal comments, any logical fallacies, and any statements not fully explained and backed up by evidence would be immediately deleted by the mods.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
To the people that keeps saying we've existed for eleventy gazillion years and this slight increase in CO2 level is negligible, think again.

Instead of saying that, put this into perspective and see how damaging we are to this Earth. Think of when the first automobile was introduced, the Industrial Revolution, industrial growth, nuclear powers, etc... Yes, we as human have done THAT MUCH damage within the last 100 years or so. How ever many years of our existence means nothing comparing to the last 100 years.

When will you start caring?

Think again!

SampSon

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Scientists in the 19th century were convinced that the vast majority of the universe's secrets have been figured out and only extremely minor details remained. Amazing how wrong they were, but how amazingly SMUG they were in being wrong.

The reality is that scientists, and humans for that matter, don't know sh!t. We can't explain the huge gap in the fossil record, can't agree on earth's history, we havn't explored a fraction of the oceans, have a rough understanding of human pysiology, don't fully understand what exists between the earth's mantle and core, and on and on and on ....etc.

Humans are pompous, egotistical, self-centered pieces of barely evolved flesh. Sure we always strive to learn more, but as soon as we being to learn something we immediately rush to state something as ABSOLUTE FACT. Then in the following years we learn more and then revise our "facts". :roll:

It would be really great if science stopped being a sociopolitical circle jerk and actually about learning.

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Atheus
I wish I could start a global warming thread in which any mention of commies or lefties or neocons or fascists, any even vaguely personal comments, any logical fallacies, and any statements not fully explained and backed up by evidence would be immediately deleted by the mods.

Less than 5 people would be able to post in it, and they'd only get about 1 post in each.

Once each person had paraphrased and linked to their scientist of choice, there'd be nothing left to say.

alocurto

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 1999
:beer:

I don't follow it but people really care. I want to find out how the planet got out of the ice age without us around.

Originally posted by: bignateyk
Originally posted by: Praxis1452
so almost everybody in this thread denies global warming? nice to see it's either that or everyone just doesn't give a ******...

mostly just dont give a sh!t. Actually, its mostly because I like watching people get really upset when I tell them global warming doesnt exist.

cavemanmoron

Lifer
Mar 13, 2001
Albany International Airport
Last Update on Feb 6, 5:51 pm EST

Fair

14°F
(-10°C) Humidity: 56 %
Wind Speed: NW 3 MPH
Barometer: 30.05" (1018.1 mb)
Dewpoint: 1°F (-17°C)
Visibility: 10.00 mi.

bobsmith1492

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2004
Yay for blizzards; I haven't seen a good one for years here in good ol' MI.

They even closed the university for a day! Blizzard conditions for three days straight... ahhh. Too bad I was out of food. :p

Fortunately Papa Johns is a minute's walk away and was still open. One supreme extra large pizza has a lot of calories, enough to last out a blizzard. :)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
global warming involves drastic climate changes. this includes temperature, on either side of the dial. If the ave. temp for this time of year is 22f, and we see 10f...that is an indicator of global warming.

FleshLight

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2004
Originally posted by: hans030390
Global warming is a myth.

But I wouldn't mind our negative temps going to upper positives right now.

:confused:

Let's see, sun emits longwave radiation, longwave radiation hits earth. Since earth isn't a black body, some of that radiation gets reflected. Atmospheric greenhouse gases trap some of that reflected radiation. The earth warms. I don't know how you, or anyone, cannot believe this.

The only debatable question is whether the climate "anamolies" that occur today are due to global warming, natural phenomena, or by AOL.

fisheerman

Oct 25, 2006
My question for the whole global warming crowd would be.......

ok:Q you convinced me! its getting warmer. so what....................

so we have less land more water and some areas of the planet we may not be able to live anymore..... in the grand scheme of things. BIG DEAL!

the human race is very resourceful and trust me if it becomes that big of a problem we will figure out a solution.

The propoganda coming for the enviro wackos is just unbelievable. they are trying to scare everybody that you are going to wake up in 10 years and half the world is going to be flooded. like its going to be a big tidal wave or something..
so we need to shut down everything and go back to the 15th century.............

give me a break. we have real issues that are affecting people right at this moment.

put the effort were it can have immediate use and leave the planet debate be
world hungar/aids/cancer/homelessness pick you poison..

jeezz...

-fish

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: fisheerman
My question for the whole global warming crowd would be.......

ok:Q you convinced me! its getting warmer. so what....................

so we have less land more water and some areas of the planet we may not be able to live anymore..... in the grand scheme of things. BIG DEAL!

the human race is very resourceful and trust me if it becomes that big of a problem we will figure out a solution.

The propoganda coming for the enviro wackos is just unbelievable. they are trying to scare everybody that you are going to wake up in 10 years and half the world is going to be flooded. like its going to be a big tidal wave or something..
so we need to shut down everything and go back to the 15th century.............

give me a break. we have real issues that are affecting people right at this moment.

put the effort were it can have immediate use and leave the planet debate be
world hungar/aids/cancer/homelessness pick you poison..

jeezz...

-fish

We'll survive, no doubt, but at what cost? Cities will need to spen $billions to either relocate(in part if not as a whole in some cases), Agriculture will have to migrate, Nations will have to adjust their dependencies(US may become Net Food Importer rather than Exporter for example). All those changes cost big $$ that could be avoided. Economies around the World will take a major hit in order to survive, many places will become Politically and Socially unstable likely causing conflict Internally and Externally. If we were Nomads this wouldn't be such a big deal, we could just move, but we're not and where we live and how we live(in the Industrialized world) involves huge investments in Infrastructure.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
The answer is simple, nuclear exchange with china.

1. lower world population
2. nuclear winter
3. forgiven massive national debt

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Krazy4Real
Global warming does not exist.

Put a globe in your oven and say that. :p

Originally posted by: SampSon
Scientists in the 19th century were convinced that the vast majority of the universe's secrets have been figured out and only extremely minor details remained. Amazing how wrong they were, but how amazingly SMUG they were in being wrong.

The reality is that scientists, and humans for that matter, don't know sh!t. We can't explain the huge gap in the fossil record, can't agree on earth's history, we havn't explored a fraction of the oceans, have a rough understanding of human pysiology, don't fully understand what exists between the earth's mantle and core, and on and on and on ....etc.

Humans are pompous, egotistical, self-centered pieces of barely evolved flesh. Sure we always strive to learn more, but as soon as we being to learn something we immediately rush to state something as ABSOLUTE FACT. Then in the following years we learn more and then revise our "facts". :roll:

It would be really great if science stopped being a sociopolitical circle jerk and actually about learning.
So what do you suggest we do? Go as if everything we know is totally baseless and unusable? Newtonian physics was "right" for a long time. Now we know that it only applies to things on Earth, or applications where the small error introduced by relativity is not a problem. If you throw a ball upward with a certain speed, and you want to know how fast it will hit the ground 1m below where it was thrown, Newtonian physics works just fine. Relativity won't do much of anything at those speeds. If you're tuning a GPS satellite orbiting at high speed, suddenly relativity is a big deal.

I'd like it too if it wasn't a "sociopolitical circle jerk," but science will and should wind its way into politics at some point in time. We have laws regarding sanitation, and laws regarding building safety. That's legislation courtesy of science.

Global warming? It seems like something's happening to Earth's temperature. The global average is increasing. Models indicate that this could cause numerous problems. Granted, these are models. Models are an approximation of reality. They're the best we can do, which is all that we can ever do. In time, our "best" hopefully improves. But the fact is, we can't wait until we are at the absolute best to take action. Medical science for example, relied on what we regard as archaic methods, which may have done more harm than good. Fact is, bleeding the bad blood out of someone may have been the best they could do at the time. Eventually, the idea of pathogens came around, and it was discovered that it wasn't evil spirits causing disease, but tiny organisms. I'd imagine that this discovery made its way into the political system, for the beginnings of good sanitary codes.

Resource depletion is another issue intertwined with climate change. Burning of fossil fuels releases carbon dioxide that nature effectively locked away millions of years ago. There is also a finite amount of oil, coal, and natural gas. That simply can't be argued mathematically - Earth's volume is finite, thus it cannot contain an infinite supply of anything. The question is, when do we run out, or more accurately, when will the cost of extraction become too great to be economically viable? I think it's a good idea to play it safe, rather than just plow on ahead consuming like crazy, and then only when we finally realize, "Hey, there really isn't a whole lot left to dig up," it's going to be a really rough transition to alternate energy sources. If we make the transition gradually, starting now, it'll be more like going up a long ramp as it's built, rather than slamming into a cliff and having to quickly build something expensive with which to scale it.

DLT3C

May 8, 2006
You is correct, time to repair the roof is before the rain starts. Else, we will get enthropied out.

johnjbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Acanthus
The answer is simple, nuclear exchange with china.

1. lower world population
2. nuclear winter
3. forgiven massive national debt

WTF is this exchange you want?

Better make it a one way transaction. ;)

I kid :p

fisheerman

Oct 25, 2006
Originally posted by: Jeff7
Originally posted by: Krazy4Real
Global warming does not exist.

Put a globe in your oven and say that. :p

Originally posted by: SampSon

So what do you suggest we do? Go as if everything we know is totally baseless and unusable? Newtonian physics was "right" for a long time. Now we know that it only applies to things on Earth, or applications where the small error introduced by relativity is not a problem. If you throw a ball upward with a certain speed, and you want to know how fast it will hit the ground 1m below where it was thrown, Newtonian physics works just fine. Relativity won't do much of anything at those speeds. If you're tuning a GPS satellite orbiting at high speed, suddenly relativity is a big deal.

I'd like it too if it wasn't a "sociopolitical circle jerk," but science will and should wind its way into politics at some point in time. We have laws regarding sanitation, and laws regarding building safety. That's legislation courtesy of science.

Global warming? It seems like something's happening to Earth's temperature. The global average is increasing. Models indicate that this could cause numerous problems. Granted, these are models. Models are an approximation of reality. They're the best we can do, which is all that we can ever do. In time, our "best" hopefully improves. But the fact is, we can't wait until we are at the absolute best to take action. Medical science for example, relied on what we regard as archaic methods, which may have done more harm than good. Fact is, bleeding the bad blood out of someone may have been the best they could do at the time. Eventually, the idea of pathogens came around, and it was discovered that it wasn't evil spirits causing disease, but tiny organisms. I'd imagine that this discovery made its way into the political system, for the beginnings of good sanitary codes.

Resource depletion is another issue intertwined with climate change. Burning of fossil fuels releases carbon dioxide that nature effectively locked away millions of years ago. There is also a finite amount of oil, coal, and natural gas. That simply can't be argued mathematically - Earth's volume is finite, thus it cannot contain an infinite supply of anything. The question is, when do we run out, or more accurately, when will the cost of extraction become too great to be economically viable? I think it's a good idea to play it safe, rather than just plow on ahead consuming like crazy, and then only when we finally realize, "Hey, there really isn't a whole lot left to dig up," it's going to be a really rough transition to alternate energy sources. If we make the transition gradually, starting now, it'll be more like going up a long ramp as it's built, rather than slamming into a cliff and having to quickly build something expensive with which to scale it.

Yes we need to continue on as we have been all the while exploring new technologies.

When we get to a point that the cost of fossil fuels becomes greater than the alternative technologies then the market will change very rapidly. Capitalism is the greatest weapon to implement radical change. It always follows the profits...................

Until then lets full steam ahead......chewchew

-fish