Okay, its currently -18F out. Where are all the global warming freaks?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
OMG....

Winter: Earth is tilted away from the sun. Once it goes back, it'll be warm.

1 Degree decrease at the equator is 12' degrees at the polls. This is the based on 600,000 years of documentation CO2 levels and planet temperatures. It's higher than ever. Not to mention 1000s of the worlds top scientists all agree. OP = Dumb.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
Pretty much everyone (that cares) aknowledges global warming. But, global warming may not be a long-term problem if it counteracts itself (ie temps up, more water evaporates, more clouds in the sky block the sun, earth cools off, clouds go away, earth warms up again, etc etc). Of course that cycle will take a while, in the meantime we'll have climate change and whatnot, but I'm pretty sure this kind of thing has happened in the past, we'll just ride it out again.

Lookie here

And here

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
I just love it when people get worried on warm days because of global warming, then on cold days they think that global warming is a hoax. You may be joking about what you said though, but many people have the attitude I stated.

mobobuff

Lifer
Apr 5, 2004
Originally posted by: 0
Originally posted by: alm99
Are you in UPstate NY. Its freakin cold!

Middle of the mitten in Michigan.

Hey, me too! All the coffee shops in Lansing were holding "green week" meetings and getting all scared about teh global warmings!!11 last month when it was 50 degrees in December. They've all shut up now, though.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Fingolfin269
The evidence says it may have happened once before? ZOMG the dinosaurs were destroying the environment with their dinomobiles.

Actually it was monsterous dino farts.

RossGr

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2000
Global warming is climate change.

Climate is what you expect, weather is what you get.

Krazy4Real

Lifer
Oct 3, 2003
Originally posted by: blackllotus
Originally posted by: Krazy4Real
*Shrug* It's snowing here in February. It can't be that bad.

You revived a three day old thread to say that?

No, I accidentally hit reply. I didn't want to leave a blank reply, so I edited that in. :p

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Jeff7
Originally posted by: Krazy4Real
Global warming does not exist.

Put a globe in your oven and say that. :p

Originally posted by: SampSon
Scientists in the 19th century were convinced that the vast majority of the universe's secrets have been figured out and only extremely minor details remained. Amazing how wrong they were, but how amazingly SMUG they were in being wrong.

The reality is that scientists, and humans for that matter, don't know sh!t. We can't explain the huge gap in the fossil record, can't agree on earth's history, we havn't explored a fraction of the oceans, have a rough understanding of human pysiology, don't fully understand what exists between the earth's mantle and core, and on and on and on ....etc.

Humans are pompous, egotistical, self-centered pieces of barely evolved flesh. Sure we always strive to learn more, but as soon as we being to learn something we immediately rush to state something as ABSOLUTE FACT. Then in the following years we learn more and then revise our "facts". :roll:

It would be really great if science stopped being a sociopolitical circle jerk and actually about learning.
So what do you suggest we do? Go as if everything we know is totally baseless and unusable? Newtonian physics was "right" for a long time. Now we know that it only applies to things on Earth, or applications where the small error introduced by relativity is not a problem. If you throw a ball upward with a certain speed, and you want to know how fast it will hit the ground 1m below where it was thrown, Newtonian physics works just fine. Relativity won't do much of anything at those speeds. If you're tuning a GPS satellite orbiting at high speed, suddenly relativity is a big deal.

I'd like it too if it wasn't a "sociopolitical circle jerk," but science will and should wind its way into politics at some point in time. We have laws regarding sanitation, and laws regarding building safety. That's legislation courtesy of science.

Global warming? It seems like something's happening to Earth's temperature. The global average is increasing. Models indicate that this could cause numerous problems. Granted, these are models. Models are an approximation of reality. They're the best we can do, which is all that we can ever do. In time, our "best" hopefully improves. But the fact is, we can't wait until we are at the absolute best to take action. Medical science for example, relied on what we regard as archaic methods, which may have done more harm than good. Fact is, bleeding the bad blood out of someone may have been the best they could do at the time. Eventually, the idea of pathogens came around, and it was discovered that it wasn't evil spirits causing disease, but tiny organisms. I'd imagine that this discovery made its way into the political system, for the beginnings of good sanitary codes.

Resource depletion is another issue intertwined with climate change. Burning of fossil fuels releases carbon dioxide that nature effectively locked away millions of years ago. There is also a finite amount of oil, coal, and natural gas. That simply can't be argued mathematically - Earth's volume is finite, thus it cannot contain an infinite supply of anything. The question is, when do we run out, or more accurately, when will the cost of extraction become too great to be economically viable? I think it's a good idea to play it safe, rather than just plow on ahead consuming like crazy, and then only when we finally realize, "Hey, there really isn't a whole lot left to dig up," it's going to be a really rough transition to alternate energy sources. If we make the transition gradually, starting now, it'll be more like going up a long ramp as it's built, rather than slamming into a cliff and having to quickly build something expensive with which to scale it.

As long as the sh** doesn't hit the fan in my lifetime, who cares?

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
ITT We're all morons who don't understand what global warming is.

Seriously, you're an idiot if you think that your local weather being cold/hot means anything.

It's like you LITERALLY CANNOT see past yourself and your little world/bubble. Have fun with that.

GB2YB (go back to your bible)

I can out troll all of you, amateurs :p

Golden Member
Jul 22, 2003
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

it's 22F on Easter Eve!

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
Just so the Global Warming freaks understand (because so far they clearly haven't), when people are making fun of global warming during these cold spells MOST of the time they are just joking. It is just funny to talk about global warming on such unseasonably cold days. All the people posting calling people stupid are in fact the ones who look stupid themsleves and need some serious retunning of their sarcasm meters.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: BrownTown
Just so the Global Warming freaks understand (because so far they clearly haven't), when people are making fun of global warming during these cold spells MOST of the time they are just joking. It is just funny to talk about global warming on such unseasonably cold days. All the people posting calling people stupid are in fact the ones who look stupid themsleves and need some serious retunning of their sarcasm meters.

Really? Perhaps those joking just suck at joke telling?

mercanucaribe

Banned
Oct 20, 2004

Yeah people are often joking, but often they just don't understand what global warming is.

Jun 27, 2005

When you joke about a religion, the practitionors of that religion tend to get miffed. ;)