Oh dear... 74C on my Cel. D.

VivienM

Jun 26, 2001
I have this Cel. D. 330 (2.66Ghz Preshot) MythTV box (Linux) in an Antec SLK1600 case with the stock power supply (Smartpower something or other) and two Vantec Stealth fans...

When I was using the stock Intel HSF, it was running anywhere from 3800RPM (totally idle) to 5270RPM (full load), which as you can imagine caused quite a noise problem.

So, I picked up a Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu LED... and installed it... the knob thing was

Good news is, no more noise :)

Bad news... after a little while at full load:
temp1: +65 C (high = +4 C, hyst = +0 C) sensor = thermistor
temp2: +75.0 C (high = +85 C, hyst = +80 C) sensor = diode
temp3: +63.0 C (high = +85 C, hyst = +80 C) sensor = thermistor

I have a feeling this thing must be throttling, or is 73.5-75C the maximum it will reach?

FWIW, right after POST, it was at about 59-60C... (even with the case open)

Just how bad is this?

Is this case just not up to the job, or did I screw up installing the thermal compound or something?

mdkinsal

Oct 27, 2005
make sure you apply the thermal compound so thin that its barely noticeable. You have to make sure that the thermal compound is VERRRRY thin. Putting too much compound will make your cpu overheat. gg

JasonE4

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2005
Wow, that's very high. My Cel D @ 3.62 with a slight vcore increase loads at 46 C with a Big Typhoon.

VivienM

Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: JasonE4
Wow, that's very high. My Cel D @ 3.62 with a slight vcore increase loads at 46 C with a Big Typhoon.

You probably must have a case with much better airflow than mine?

JasonE4

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2005
I just have a small coolermaster case with a rear 120mm fan and a front 80mm fan. It's not an especially good case.

Vegitto

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Reseat the heatsink, and DON'T use Zalman's thermal paste. It sucks. Use some AS5 instead.

sarcasticone

Oct 17, 2005
I would try reseating the HSF. Also, clean both the cpu and hs before reinstalling and follow the directions of the thermal compound your using to a "T". Putting to much doesn't help.

I have a Celeron D 2.93 in one of my computers and it idles around 37* C and full load around 48* C. I'm not using a big HSF or anything, I'm using a Masscool all copper HS with a 70mm fan and AS5. It seems to be doing a fine job at cooling both my Celeron D computer and my P4 computer.

VivienM

Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Vegitto
Reseat the heatsink, and DON'T use Zalman's thermal paste. It sucks. Use some AS5 instead.

How should I remove Zalman's thermal paste?

Can one container of AS5 do multiple installations? I must admit I'm so pleased with the Zalman, noise-wise, that I'm considering getting one for my 1.9 Willamette box too... (though I really should be spending my money on an X2 to replace that with...) so if I could use the AS5 for both, and perhaps the upcoming Athlon, that'd be good...

VivienM

Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: sarcasticone
I would try reseating the HSF. Also, clean both the cpu and hs before reinstalling and follow the directions of the thermal compound your using to a "T". Putting to much doesn't help.

The local shop has Arctic Silver "ArctiClean" or something... is that what I should get for cleaning?

sarcasticone

Oct 17, 2005
I have the Arctic Silver thermal paste remover (can't think of the exact name) but I think I read you could use rubbing alcohol.

1 tube of AS5 should last for multiple jobs. I used mine twice and still have a bunch left.

edit:
ArctiClean, thats what I have.

VivienM

Jun 26, 2001
Okay, I'll do that... (store is closed on Sunday, though...)

I also took out the Fanmate 2 thing late last night; with the Zalman @ 2400RPM it's running a tad cooler. Haven't tested at full load yet.

Other than the risk of throttling and hence lower performance, are there any consequences to the thing running too hot?

aLeoN

Oct 24, 2005
Couldn't something literally burn out in your system? CPU+mobo circuits in particular.

VivienM

Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: aLeoN
Couldn't something literally burn out in your system? CPU+mobo circuits in particular.

At these kinds of temperatures?

I do note that the default warning temperature in the BIOS is 85C, so apparently someone at Abit seems to think their board can deal with higher than my 74 or so...

VivienM

Jun 26, 2001
After like 30 minutes at full load...
fan1: 2343 RPM (min = 166 RPM, div = 32)
fan2: 7031 RPM (min = 166 RPM, div = 32)
fan3: 2220 RPM (min = 332 RPM, div = 16)
temp1: +41 C (high = +4 C, hyst = +3 C) sensor = thermistor
temp2: +70.5 C (high = +85 C, hyst = +80 C) sensor = diode
temp3: +49.0 C (high = +85 C, hyst = +80 C) sensor = thermistor

No throttling, I don't think... (it's transcoding video, and the FPS rate it's giving hasn't gone down...)

It seems that running the Zalman at full blast helped a LOT.

That being said, I assume that I should still redo the thermal compound with some AS5?

zagood

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Yeah, def. redo the thermal grease.

If you don't want to wait until tomorrow, grab some 99% rubbing alcohol from the local store. Also grab some coffee filters if you don't have any around the house. Read the instructions for AS5.

-z

VivienM

Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: zagood
Yeah, def. redo the thermal grease.

If you don't want to wait until tomorrow, grab some 99% rubbing alcohol from the local store. Also grab some coffee filters if you don't have any around the house. Read the instructions for AS5.

-z

Well, I have to wait until tomorrow to get the AS5, too... so... nothing I can do now.

It's interesting that the case temperatures dropped so much, though I wonder something... after installing the HSF last night, I stupidly forgot to plug the 12V power thing back in. Didn't seem to cause any trouble whatsoever... but of course when I opened it up again, I noticed it was missing and plugged it back in.
Could it be that the heat was in part the result of the mobo going nuts trying to power the CPU without the 12V?

zagood

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
It's doubtful that having that unplugged would cause more heat, but you never know. For me it just won't boot.

I've got a similar setup, SLK1600 with the 7000B Al-Cu. If you haven't done so already, install a 92mm fan on the back of the case instead of an 80mm. It's got holes pre-drilled for both 80mm and 92mm. I also cut out the "mesh" area for both the front and back fans and installed a finger guard on the back (front is covered by the plastic front plate so you don't need one there), that made the fans a lot more quiet. Cutting these areas out is easy with some narrow wire cutters. I used these.

Next I'm going to get a hole saw and go at the side panel. I wish I could just buy the side panel off the 1650, but haven't been able to find any around.

-z

VivienM

Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: zagood
It's doubtful that having that unplugged would cause more heat, but you never know. For me it just won't boot.

I've got a similar setup, SLK1600 with the 7000B Al-Cu. If you haven't done so already, install a 92mm fan on the back of the case instead of an 80mm. It's got holes pre-drilled for both 80mm and 92mm.

Wow, I wonder why that was never mentioned on any spec sheet for the 1600 that I've seen, but I checked the back of it, and yup, you're right...

I'm tempted to replace the 80mm Vantec Stealth that's there with a 92mm of those, or should I go for something a bit more powerful? (and louder...)

VivienM

Jun 26, 2001
Has anyone heard of this?
Silenx 14DBA Silent Case Fan 92MM 1800RPM 36CFM 3/4PIN
14DBA, 36CFM? Sounds tempting... but horribly expensive.

zagood

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Wow. I couldn't ever imagine spending that much for a case fan...but I know people who would. Review.

For 10 bucks, this one's really good, 42cfm@ 21dBa link, but you'd have half sticking out of the case.

Recommended fans from SPCR.

-z

VivienM

Jun 26, 2001
For 10 bucks, this one's really good, 42cfm@ 21dBa link, but you'd have half sticking out of the case.

Maybe I'm just sleepy, but I don't understand how half would end up sticking out of the case?

VivienM

Jun 26, 2001
Okay, I'm going nowhere with this...

My current 80mm fan does 27CFM, 20dBA, apparently... I can't seem to find (if only Newegg shipped up here...) anything substantially better in 92mm, except this:
NMB-MAT (Panaflo) 92MM Low Speed Cooling Fan 2100RPM 42.7CFM 27DBA 3PIN No Sensor

27 dBA worries me a bit, though, since that fan would probably become _the_ loudest thing in the box...

zagood

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Originally posted by: VivienM

Maybe I'm just sleepy, but I don't understand how half would end up sticking out of the case?

It only has mounting on one side, the intake side. It's designed specifically to be an intake fan. To use as an exhaust fan, you'd need to mount it either completely on the outside of the case, or just the mounting holes inside the case.

Do you have any way to control your fans? Remember, the higher the TOP cfm is for a fan means the lower you'll have to run it to get the same effect...basically, you could run that fan you pointed out at 1200RPM and it'll be about the same as your existing 80mm in CFM and dBa. BUT you can turn it up if you need to.

I use the Zalman 92mm fan (link). At 1600rpm it pushes 38cfm @ 20dBa...and goes up to 2800rpm - 53cfm @ 36dba if I need it.

The bracket was formerly used to hold an 80mm to cool my VGA but don't need it anymore.

If you don't have any fan controls, Google "speedfan" first, DL that and try it. If that doesn't work for you look into getting a fan controller.

-z