** Official Star Craft 2 Multiplayer Thread **

Page 66 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
so when someone says that they're good at gosu micro, that means... they're just good at micromanagement?

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
in bronze maybe, but in silver, 3 barrack marine marauder push will be weak against zergs... Banglings will eat up marines and marauders like as if they never existed.... that'll make all the hardwork of a marines useless!! and they're cheap to make too! 75/25.

Huh... I'm a diamond 1v1 and 3rax is just about the only build I ever use (except on those huge maps like altar LE). I rush stim, push out at 6:15ish (used to be more like 6:45 move with stim+shields), and expand while teching to medivacs and thinking of tanks/thors. I think on custom games w/gold or lower opponents, the 3rax just about always straight up wins on the first push.

edit: oh and I'm not saying 3rax openers are super strong or anything. You don't really see them at the pro level but it's the first build I really learned/refined. I'm thinking I need to move to some earlier expand styles that are more common but *shrug*. The thing is even if my opponent can hold off my attack (which I hope they can b/c i'm not trying to win, jsut cover the expansion), I rarely just get my army wiped out--it's a trade. And below like diamond/maybe high plat, you just don't see people with consistent macro that keep up steady worker/unit production during battles and such, so I can usually win on macro if I make it out of the early game.

Also if someone said they're "good at gosu micro," I'd be a little wary, haha. That's like saying you're good at being really good. And unelss you know you're with like master or maybe diamond level players, more often than not, offers of "i have good micro gimme control" results in epic fail.

Last edited:

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
i'm still silver rank 2-4 in 2v2 random... almost feels like a lot of times i have to carry my partner!

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
i'm still silver rank 2-4 in 2v2 random... almost feels like a lot of times i have to carry my partner!

haha my friend and I play 3v3 and 4v4 randoms together when we want to goof around and it really is surprising how bad some of our teammates are. Like wtf how those people are diamond level players I'll never know. Like one game, even after I opened cannon rush and my friend opened proxy hatch, we still carried the team to victory. Though I don't think I've ever run into a master level player (on my team) that I didn't think was better than me. But yesterday I played a 4v4 placement match w/some friends against a 4v4 master team. 2 of us worker rushed and we still won in a drawn out macro game! It was fucking epic :D Man I love fucking around on 4v4s, it's fantastic. We were shocked to see how good their players were on paper after the game.

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
in bronze maybe, but in silver, 3 barrack marine marauder push will be weak against zergs... Banglings will eat up marines and marauders like as if they never existed.... that'll make all the hardwork of a marines useless!! and they're cheap to make too! 75/25.

sorry to burst your bubble, but this is in diamond ;)

Jul 10, 2007
im 99.9999% zerg player. But last night tried terran for the first time in a 2v2. All I did was 3 barrack marine marauder push. Can't believe how stupid simple and easy it was. I am sure I messed up all the timing and builds and still it was just plowing through everything. Now I believe it..

There is no counter for marines .

but I still like my zergies. nothing like a god damn bling bust :D

the counter for marines is speed lings and banelings and it is VERY effective.
everyone knows this.

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
just played a game, where I went against 2 Terrans, and my zerg partner went for early expo. So I went for an early push, and I basically had to keep saving his dumb ass... Anyways, They went for Mass marines and marauders, and the other guy went for Battle cruisers.... pumped up 2 medivacs, and my marines wiped out 40 marines, and 7 cruisers!

my men did end up being only 6-7 left, and they kept sending Battle cruisers to kill my partner's base. Eventually my partner just left. And I had to do everything! So I went up to 10-11 medivacs with an army of ~30 marines, and fended off their last push of marines and marauders, with battle cruisers. Lucky for me, they didn't have any medivacs! so, I finally took my group of ~20 marines left over with 7 medivacs and pushed myself. They even told me to leave already, 'cause they couldn't take me over! Pretty epic game for me! heh

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
just played a game, where I went against 2 Terrans, and my zerg partner went for early expo. So I went for an early push, and I basically had to keep saving his dumb ass... Anyways, They went for Mass marines and marauders, and the other guy went for Battle cruisers.... pumped up 2 medivacs, and my marines wiped out 40 marines, and 7 cruisers!

my men did end up being only 6-7 left, and they kept sending Battle cruisers to kill my partner's base. Eventually my partner just left. And I had to do everything! So I went up to 10-11 medivacs with an army of ~30 marines, and fended off their last push of marines and marauders, with battle cruisers. Lucky for me, they didn't have any medivacs! so, I finally took my group of ~20 marines left over with 7 medivacs and pushed myself. They even told me to leave already, 'cause they couldn't take me over! Pretty epic game for me! heh

ya, stuff like that can happen in silver. and did you win? upload the replay ! i want to see this epic win!

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
yeah i did win!

I've never used it, but this is a common place to upload replays:
http://www.sc2replayed.com/

Also I just had a hilarious 4v4 :D 4v4 random, our team was 2 diamonds, 1 plat, 1 gold vs their 2 diamond, 2 plat. Note that one of our "diamond" players is really more like a silver (she's my friend); I'm not entirely sure how she placed 4v4 diamond random. Anyway map is toxic slums, PPTT (us) vs TTZZ; we're on the top right.

I'm toss, I open cannon rush :D I cannon up the upper left player's natural b/c that gives me access to his neighbor's mineral line. But then I realized they're both walled in, so my cannon rush is useless XD One guy on our team goes mass reaper in the meanwhile. So my cannon rush utterly fails and then the zergs slam me w/lings and I lose everything, having never contributed anything besides delaying one player's expansion, haha :D

Reaper guy stops one player from mining & damages another before switching out. Meanwhile our other toss has just been 1 basing. He takes out one of the zergs but has nothing really, as a mass of like 24 mutas is plowing through mineral lines. But our last terran (the silver-ish) has been macro'ing up so I take her army and start to push back. It was a fuckin crazy game but we pulled it out in the end.

Our opponents gotta feel fucking ridiculous for losing to the shittiest cannon rush ever & mass reapers, hahaha.

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
i can just send you the SC2 replay file... i think that'll work

how will you send it to other ATers? If you don't like sc2replayed, there are also more generic filehosting sites like rapidshare or megaupload and many others that you could use.

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
it's only 100 k... i can email it :) the reason why I was thinking about this is because it's easy!

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I've never used it, but this is a common place to upload replays:
http://www.sc2replayed.com/

Also I just had a hilarious 4v4 :D 4v4 random, our team was 2 diamonds, 1 plat, 1 gold vs their 2 diamond, 2 plat. Note that one of our "diamond" players is really more like a silver (she's my friend); I'm not entirely sure how she placed 4v4 diamond random. Anyway map is toxic slums, PPTT (us) vs TTZZ; we're on the top right.

I'm toss, I open cannon rush :D I cannon up the upper left player's natural b/c that gives me access to his neighbor's mineral line. But then I realized they're both walled in, so my cannon rush is useless XD One guy on our team goes mass reaper in the meanwhile. So my cannon rush utterly fails and then the zergs slam me w/lings and I lose everything, having never contributed anything besides delaying one player's expansion, haha :D

Reaper guy stops one player from mining & damages another before switching out. Meanwhile our other toss has just been 1 basing. He takes out one of the zergs but has nothing really, as a mass of like 24 mutas is plowing through mineral lines. But our last terran (the silver-ish) has been macro'ing up so I take her army and start to push back. It was a fuckin crazy game but we pulled it out in the end.

Our opponents gotta feel fucking ridiculous for losing to the shittiest cannon rush ever & mass reapers, hahaha.

Had a successful cannon rush in 4v4. Teammate cannon rushed and I supported with lings. The guy didn't see it until the first cannon was about finishing. He send over his workers and I trapped them between my lings and the pylon and cannon. Cannon rush is hard to counter if there are units to support. I think the right thing to do is put up your own defense so they can't get the cannons closer.

Played a 1v1 that went pretty late into the game. I was zerg vs terran. I had wiped his main but he had an exp and moved a few of his buildings over and started another. I saw him going air so figured hydras would do. I brought along 2 overseers too (there were ghosts and he had already got a nuke off in the main). I went up against mass vikings and banshees. He just send in his vikings to kill the overseers, lost half of them but then the banshees were just picking off hydras with cloak. He flew the vikings over to my exp and started killing workers. What options are there getting to that point. Would infestors work against cloaked banshees?

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
Had a successful cannon rush in 4v4. Teammate cannon rushed and I supported with lings. The guy didn't see it until the first cannon was about finishing. He send over his workers and I trapped them between my lings and the pylon and cannon. Cannon rush is hard to counter if there are units to support. I think the right thing to do is put up your own defense so they can't get the cannons closer.

Played a 1v1 that went pretty late into the game. I was zerg vs terran. I had wiped his main but he had an exp and moved a few of his buildings over and started another. I saw him going air so figured hydras would do. I brought along 2 overseers too (there were ghosts and he had already got a nuke off in the main). I went up against mass vikings and banshees. He just send in his vikings to kill the overseers, lost half of them but then the banshees were just picking off hydras with cloak. He flew the vikings over to my exp and started killing workers. What options are there getting to that point. Would infestors work against cloaked banshees?

They can help as FG will pull the Banshees out of stealth and do some dmg to them.

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
i'm going to try a canon rush :) that sounds like fun and a big "slap in the face" to other players

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
i'm going to try a canon rush :) that sounds like fun and a big "slap in the face" to other players

yeah pretty much. I don't do it when I'm playing "seriously" on ladder, but when I'm fucking around w/friends in 3v3 or 4v4, I definitely employ retarded strats like that. Like blind cannon rushing w/forge in their base. Or proxy hatch->crawlers. Or worker rush. Or reapers only, or mothership rush, BC only, VR only, banes only, etc. :D

I win pretty often too (and this is in like diamond random), which is just hilarious. We're always dying of laughter when the game ends b/c we can't believe we pulled off such retarded "strategies" :D The strat I haven't gotten to work in 4v4 b/c the maps are so big is planetary fortress rush. I love it so much but it's just too terrible.

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
yeah pretty much. I don't do it when I'm playing "seriously" on ladder, but when I'm fucking around w/friends in 3v3 or 4v4, I definitely employ retarded strats like that. Like blind cannon rushing w/forge in their base. Or proxy hatch->crawlers. Or worker rush. Or reapers only, or mothership rush, BC only, VR only, banes only, etc. :D

I win pretty often too (and this is in like diamond random), which is just hilarious. We're always dying of laughter when the game ends b/c we can't believe we pulled off such retarded "strategies" :D The strat I haven't gotten to work in 4v4 b/c the maps are so big is planetary fortress rush. I love it so much but it's just too terrible.

Lol this just reminded me of the Day[9] FundayMonday where Terran weren't allowed to build Marines Marauders or Tanks. So one guy built no units, PF rushed and then when his opponent lifted off he had another CC follow his opponent and waited for him to land. Also had one PF in his main. Dude won with only SCV's and PF's was great.

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
Lol this just reminded me of the Day[9] FundayMonday where Terran weren't allowed to build Marines Marauders or Tanks. So one guy built no units, PF rushed and then when his opponent lifted off he had another CC follow his opponent and waited for him to land. Also had one PF in his main. Dude won with only SCV's and PF's was great.

haha yeah that was a great battle. I had a similar experience in 1v1 once on scrap station. We both planetary fortress rushed. And passed each other halfway over the gap, btwn bases, it was amazing.

The funday mondays are often inspirations for some of the dumbass stuff I do in 4v4. My friend and I have already done the "mouse only" thing months ago. We also did what we called "two headed dragon" where the two of us use 1 computer. One person uses the keyboard, the other person uses the mouse. We aren't allowed to talk. It makes some things absolutely impossible (like step micro) and most other things just damn hard, haha.

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
alright, i'm a solid silver player... I can't play higher than that... any higher and i'll shit myself lol...

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
alright, i'm a solid silver player... I can't play higher than that... any higher and i'll shit myself lol...

lol i'm sure it wouldn't be too big of a leap for you to improve & move up ;)

What's your friendcode thingy/when do you play?