** Official Star Craft 2 Multiplayer Thread **

Page 65 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
I think what happened was a lot of inactive players were ranked higher and they are left off new season until they do their placement match.

So a lot of people will move up some.

Jul 10, 2007
question for toss players.

if a pylon gets killed before the units finish warping in, do you lose the minerals/gas, or does it get refunded?

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
I thought you lost resources but that may have been one of those things they changed in one of the MANY updates.

No. I tested this like a year ago and my friend recently re-verified it in a 4v4. If the pylon is killed, you get 100% of resources back. Also, the warpgate cooldown is reset, so you're ready to warp-in again somewhere else immediately (assuming the lost pylon doesn't supply block you).

Jul 10, 2007
No. I tested this like a year ago and my friend recently re-verified it in a 4v4. If the pylon is killed, you get 100% of resources back. Also, the warpgate cooldown is reset, so you're ready to warp-in again somewhere else immediately (assuming the lost pylon doesn't supply block you).

that is crap.
not only should one not be refunded, but the warp gate cool downs should not be reset.

dust

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2008
How about if you destroy the powering pylon for a stargate while you have some unit on the way. Do you get resources back?

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
How about if you destroy the powering pylon for a stargate while you have some unit on the way. Do you get resources back?

For everything except warping units, destroying the powering pylon will leave that unit/research 'in limbo.' By which I mean that units/research will remain at the current level of completion; progress continues if you repower the building, progress continues. You can get all resources back by cancelling just as if the thing were powered.

The only exception is warping buildings, which will complete normally. Also, tech buildings provide the tech benefit regardless of whether they're powered; e.g., you can build stalkers/sentries/higher tech buildings even if your cybercore has no power.

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
What if the production building itself gets destroyed?

Then (as with destroying a pylon that's warping units) resources from all units in the queue are returned to you. Same goes w/research (morphing to lair/hive, greater spire, orbital, and pf count as research for this purpose). But if you weren't aware, destroying a building (including add-ons) that is under construction/warping/morphing *does not* refund the investment; in fact the owner loses everything in that case... which is why it's super impt to cancel constructing buildings if they're going to die.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Starting play zerg. Not looking good. Think I'm 1-8 so far. Had a game yesterday vs terran in which I had out expanded him but couldn't spend my resources fast enough. I've started placing a second hatchery in my main.
Are roaches better than hydras to go up against Marines and Marauders? Also vs terran think I need some dedicated AA to knock out medivacs. Baleings the best option to get through bunkers?

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
Starting play zerg. Not looking good. Think I'm 1-8 so far. Had a game yesterday vs terran in which I had out expanded him but couldn't spend my resources fast enough. I've started placing a second hatchery in my main.
Are roaches better than hydras to go up against Marines and Marauders? Also vs terran think I need some dedicated AA to knock out medivacs. Baleings the best option to get through bunkers?

as a terran player, roaches are much better than hydras against MM. You can also get them earlier in the tech tree.

Only real time you should go with hydras over roaches is if you needed the AA support, but early game against MM, I would go roaches.

Against a bunker, I'm not sure what would be more cost effective, but I assume it would be situational. For instance, if there are seige tanks behind that bunker, you would need a ton of banelings to get through as plenty would be wiped out by the tanks. If they are low on AA, you could bring a few mutas to snipe them though.

There are really too many options to give definite answers for counters.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
as a terran player, roaches are much better than hydras against MM. You can also get them earlier in the tech tree.

Only real time you should go with hydras over roaches is if you needed the AA support, but early game against MM, I would go roaches.

Against a bunker, I'm not sure what would be more cost effective, but I assume it would be situational. For instance, if there are seige tanks behind that bunker, you would need a ton of banelings to get through as plenty would be wiped out by the tanks. If they are low on AA, you could bring a few mutas to snipe them though.

There are really too many options to give definite answers for counters.

Mutas wouldn't get mauled by the bunker? Is it worth queen's eng to heal mutas? I've been sending low health ones back to be healed but it's expensive. hmm Maybe I should just grab a medivac during the fight.

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
don't know the specific strategies of zerg. I kid of wish I had an account that I could use to play with them where it woudln't count as losses for my main account.

I want to get better, but I would be so bad with them, it woudln't even be funny.

If a guy is bunkered in with tanks that badly, I would suggest just bleeding him out over time. Or if you can find ways into his base, either do a drop, or muta harass.

If you get to late game, you can always get a couple of brood lords to force his army out.

GoSharks

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 1999

From what I've seen, it is pretty rare for a pro to go roaches or hydra's against a Terran who goes standard Marine+tank or MMM. Usually something like lings and mutas with either banelings or infestors.

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
Against a terran ball, its always lings and blings, and mid game into infestors.

out tech and out expand them. zerg needs a bit more work but I still love em.

I would be doing well and rofl stomp bling bust everyone and then I would be on a massive losing streak. Will I ever step over to masters..

HomerX

Mar 2, 2010
Against Tank/marine play a 2 base roach/bling/ling push is very strong!

grab your natural, get around 40-45 drones, lair, banespeed, roach speed, +1attack, build 10+ roaches, ~20 blings, reinforce with lings and attack around ~11-12 minute mark...

if he moves out around this time and his tanks are on the move he gets crushed, if he turtles in his base with 1-2 bunkers you can usually do a lot of dmg to him... target fire the bunker and marines with your banelings, the speedlings/roaches clean everything up...

get a third around the time you move out, build spire etc....

works wonders especially on close position...

HendrixFan

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2001
they watered it down for season 2. trust me.
i had teams that were platinum last season. we're masters this season, LMAO.

Perhaps more people are playing, people newer to the RTS genre? They are still selling units. I know I'm a much better player than I was a few months ago, you guys are probably improving. With a clean slate it was much easier to jump in points. In the "old" season it was hard to make up for the grinding that others were doing for points.

Jul 10, 2007
Perhaps more people are playing, people newer to the RTS genre? They are still selling units. I know I'm a much better player than I was a few months ago, you guys are probably improving. With a clean slate it was much easier to jump in points. In the "old" season it was hard to make up for the grinding that others were doing for points.

dunno. all i know is last season i struggled to get into diamond with some friends.
this season, we lose our 1 placement game and get into diamond. wtf?

also got all masters except my 1v1, which i haven't been playing much of.

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
im 99.9999% zerg player. But last night tried terran for the first time in a 2v2. All I did was 3 barrack marine marauder push. Can't believe how stupid simple and easy it was. I am sure I messed up all the timing and builds and still it was just plowing through everything. Now I believe it..

There is no counter for marines .

but I still like my zergies. nothing like a god damn bling bust :D

HendrixFan

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2001
You have to hit terran early or at least stake out alot of real estate to beat them late. Mid game is where they shine.

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
what's gosu micro? I've been trying to search for it, but all I got was matches, and where to find gosu coaches...

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
im 99.9999% zerg player. But last night tried terran for the first time in a 2v2. All I did was 3 barrack marine marauder push. Can't believe how stupid simple and easy it was. I am sure I messed up all the timing and builds and still it was just plowing through everything. Now I believe it..

There is no counter for marines .

but I still like my zergies. nothing like a god damn bling bust :D

in bronze maybe, but in silver, 3 barrack marine marauder push will be weak against zergs... Banglings will eat up marines and marauders like as if they never existed.... that'll make all the hardwork of a marines useless!! and they're cheap to make too! 75/25.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
what's gosu micro? I've been trying to search for it, but all I got was matches, and where to find gosu coaches...

Gosu (고수 also coriander) is a computer gaming term usually used to refer to a person highly skilled in multiplayer games like StarCraft, Warcraft III (RTS/RPG - DotA), Diablo II (RPG), Counter-Strike (FPS) and others. It has a Korean origin and the term was widely adopted by gaming communities in many countries including the United States, Germany, France, Italy, Romania, Estonia, the United Kingdom, Uruguay, the Netherlands, and Russia because of a large South Korean presence in online gaming communities.[1]