** Official Star Craft 2 Multiplayer Thread **

Page 38 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
I personally think they shouldn't have tweaked anything in the game after it was released gameplay wise for multiplayer. It was tested and took years to come out, and essentially the same game as SC1 only sped up more.

People are going to abuse ANY strategy that gives them an edge, so no amount of fixing will cure this unless they just make every race unit a 1 to 1 match.

I don't think you understand how balance works.

Your comment about other players a correct though, and why I only do team games with people I know over skype. Even then, more than 2v2 is just terrible.

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
I usually on go with 3rax and then see what else to build depending on what they're doing. One factory and one starport are a given but the rest are in the air. There are games where I had 2 bases but around 30 SCVs, usually this mean we won the game since I was mircoing around their base. But just remembering to build a few SCVs while out in the field would give me more cash to rebuild or reinforce but it seems to just skip my mind.

Hm with 3rax, I find that I'm nearly using all the mining output of one base. I'm constantly producing marauders out of 2 rax & double marines out of the third, constantly building SCVs, and "never" (i try :/) getting supply blocked. It leaves enough money left over to throw up a factory, engineering bay, and/or expansion in a timely fashion. And these things can be accelerated by cutting a unit or two as needed. But the key parts are always making SCVs & supply.

With 2 bases, you should aim for 50+ SCVs. And unless you're doing some serious 1-base pushing (or are in a fight for your life), that second command center should be up no more than 10min into the game (10min is pretty late really). A good way to time this is to try and expand when you push out--don't wait too long; your first push doesn't have to win. Even if you trade armies (or lose the battle), you just need to trade enough to prevent them from sacking your expansion. The extra economy gained by macro'ing well (I believe anyway) outweighs the benefit of micro'ing constantly. Like really with 60 SCVs instead of 30, you can build twice as many units. It's unlikely that even epic micro can defeat an army 2x as large.

My play development proceeded like exactly opposite of yours. I still often just "a-click" my army into their base, and go back to macro'ing. If the whole army dies, who cares b/c I just made another one. This is starting to fail as I'm hitting diamond opponents who micro way better than me and macro comparably :(

Dumac: Yeah I actually found lower level 3v3 matches to be much more enjoyable than the higher level ones. I mostly play 3v3 random (just placed into plat) and when the other team isn't a random one, they seem to always have a joint "everyone rush GOOGOGOGOGOGO" plan. And 3 random guys who've barely chatted just aren't in a good position to deal w/that.

Even in 2v2 I run into this kind of crap. Like I played a game where my partner was like "im going DTs." Then I scouted both opponents 2gating zealots. But my partner NEVER made any units. Ok, I can't hold off 4 gateways of zealots by myself, even if the opponents are fucking noobs.

But I dunno, I find that if I just ignore those games (at least they're short!), I get to play plenty of 2v2 and 3v3s that are enjoyable.

octopus41092

Golden Member
Feb 23, 2008
Add me to the list. I'm a diamond league zerg. I'm under Giraffepus.114 on Bnet US region. Mainly interested in doing 1v1s and 2v2s.

Last edited:

onza

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
reviews.ragingazn.com
Got in a few 2v2's and 3v3's with eLiu, and I had a blast, one game eLiu got cannon cheesed I told him to STOP HIS QQ AND DEAL. Okay, i was kidding, I just told him to build a bunker and then the problem was mostly solved lol. Double protoss then came in with LOL voidrays which I totally expected, and we dealt with them with ease.

Then we played a few 3v3's and did good as well. Feels nice to have a decent / up to my par partner when going vs randoms.

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
Got in a few 2v2's and 3v3's with eLiu, and I had a blast, one game eLiu got cannon cheesed I told him to STOP HIS QQ AND DEAL. Okay, i was kidding, I just told him to build a bunker and then the problem was mostly solved lol. Double protoss then came in with LOL voidrays which I totally expected, and we dealt with them with ease.

Then we played a few 3v3's and did good as well. Feels nice to have a decent / up to my par partner when going vs randoms.

hahaha yeah I don't play enough games to have experience dealing w/cheese. I'm pretty pro at losing to shit like 6rax reaper, lol. But don't worry, as long as anyone on my team still has a chance (i.e., still has a base or army), I won't gg.

I watched that replay and noticed you suggested killing the probe at some point. Damn, I wish I had noticed that msg in game! (or thought of it myself for that matter) Seems like the whole cannon rush thing would've been moot if I stopped them from building like 15 of the things in that corner. On the flip side, that game pretty much played like a 1v1 for a while, b/c the cannon rush guy spent ALL of his resources on cannons. So I was pretty useless but so as he... though being tied down by a total noob is sad.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Played a 2v2 that I was cannon rushed. I saw the cannons before it got my mineral line so I lifted the CC and moved all my SCVs to the expansion. We then took out the other guy 2v1 and then attacked the protoss. We took out his base but he had taken my old base and had the cannons still. My partner just hit it with mass hydras while I worked on tanks. A pretty unorthodox game.

onza

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
reviews.ragingazn.com
Played a 2v2 that I was cannon rushed. I saw the cannons before it got my mineral line so I lifted the CC and moved all my SCVs to the expansion. We then took out the other guy 2v1 and then attacked the protoss. We took out his base but he had taken my old base and had the cannons still. My partner just hit it with mass hydras while I worked on tanks. A pretty unorthodox game.

haha, welcome to cheese factory. This is pretty common and it sucks, you have to MAKE SURE you scout your whole base area before you get comfortable.

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
is battle.net down? I finally go to play after 2 weeks and cant get on.

something to do with the new patch lots of people having issues.

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty – Patch 1.1.2

General

• Players will no longer receive achievement toasts while their status is set to "Busy."
• The messaging when attempting to load a saved game or replay from a previous version has been clarified.
• Adjusted the amount of points earned and lost by random team participants to properly reflect the strength of a player's teammates.

Balance

• PROTOSS

o Buildings

• Nexus life and shields increased from 750/750 to 1000/1000.

o Void Ray

• Damage level 1 increased from 5 to 6 (+4 armored).
• Damage level 2 decreased from 10 (+15 armored) to 8 (+8 armored).
• Flux Vanes speed upgrade bonus decreased from 1.125 to 0.703.

• TERRAN

o Buildings

• Barracks requirement changed from Command Center to Supply Depot.
• Supply Depot life increased from 350 to 400.

o Medivac

• Acceleration reduced from 2.315 to 2.25.
• Speed reduced from 2.75 to 2.5.

o Reaper

• Nitro Packs speed upgrade now has a Factory Requirement.

o Thor

• Energy bar removed.
• 250mm Strike Cannons is now cooldown-based on a 50-second cooldown. Ability starts with cooldown available (useable immediately after upgrade is researched).

• ZERG

o Buildings

• Hatchery life increased from 1250 to 1500.
• Lair life increased from 1800 to 2000.
• Spawning Pool life increased from 750 to 1000.
• Spire life increased from 600 to 850.
• Ultralisk Cavern life increased from 600 to 850.

o Corruptor

• Energy bar removed.
• Corruption is now cooldown-based on a 45-second cooldown. Ability starts with cooldown expired (must wait for full 45-second cycle before usable).

o Infestor

• Fungal Growth now prevents Blink.

o Roach

• Range increased from 3 to 4.

Bug Fixes

• Fixed an issue where players could not cast the Feedback spell on Point Defense Drones.
• Fixed an issue where the Phoenix would continue to channel Graviton Beam after the target died.
• Fixed an issue that would cause Larvae to spawn and be hidden behind Zerg eggs.
• Fixed an issue where players were unable to navigate to the Single Player page or watch replays after canceling map downloads from the queue.
• Fixed a desync that could occur on user-created maps with custom mod dependencies.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Im okay with the patch changes, although they changed a lot more than i expected

NYHoustonman

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 2002
Changes to Void Rays D:. I suppose it's about time... With proper micro, there isn't/wasn't much of a counter in PvP that I've encountered. The difference between uncharged and charged damage seems too small now...

Last edited:

onza

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
reviews.ragingazn.com
Changes to Void Rays D:. I suppose it's about time... With proper micro, there isn't/wasn't much of a counter in PvP that I've encountered. The difference between uncharged and charged damage seems too small now...

upgrading the air to +2 or +3 will give you better results, but I never relied on VR's.. So that nerf is a meh :)

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
void ray nerf seems a little intense... 8+8 at max? that sounds pitiful. then again, I don't rely on void rays, but given their cost it seems ritard.

Jul 10, 2007
is something up with the matchmaking system?

my friends and I got placed in 4v4 bronze last night (i'm diamond, 1 is platinum, the other 2 are pretty new to the game).
we were like, cool, we get to go up against some lesser opponents while our 2 noob friends learn.

we get matched up 3 games in a row against diamonds right off the bat and got owned hardcore.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
void ray nerf seems a little intense... 8+8 at max? that sounds pitiful. then again, I don't rely on void rays, but given their cost it seems ritard.
imo i think it might be a good thing, we'll see. Looks like they are turning VRays from what once was a cheese tactic into something that requires skill to pull off.

However, I don't think i'll ever see another reaper in a game again with those nerfs to them!

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007

my friends and I got placed in 4v4 bronze last night (i'm diamond, 1 is platinum, the other 2 are pretty new to the game).
we were like, cool, we get to go up against some lesser opponents while our 2 noob friends learn.

we get matched up 3 games in a row against diamonds right off the bat and got owned hardcore.

Each team has it's own rating, independent of the players. Did they put you up against a diamond team or diamond players on a bronze team?

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
imo i think it might be a good thing, we'll see. Looks like they are turning VRays from what once was a cheese tactic into something that requires skill to pull off.

However, I don't think i'll ever see another reaper in a game again with those nerfs to them!

I don't know about that. What I like using reapers for is to supplement my main attack with a attack on their supply line. Usually players concentrate on the main fight and the reapers run rough shot through the workers.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
I don't know about that. What I like using reapers for is to supplement my main attack with a attack on their supply line. Usually players concentrate on the main fight and the reapers run rough shot through the workers.
true, but there are alot of other ways you can harass workers too though, banshees, dropship w/ tank/other units, etc that may be more cost effective in the long run. reapers cost alot of gas!

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
true, but there are alot of other ways you can harass workers too though, banshees, dropship w/ tank/other units, etc that may be more cost effective in the long run. reapers cost alot of gas!

yea but they don't cost any extra infrastructure. Their biggest cost I think is tying up the barracks.

xCxStylex

Apr 6, 2003

Each team has it's own rating, independent of the players. Did they put you up against a diamond team or diamond players on a bronze team?

^ this.

Also, as there aren't as many 4v4 games, from what I understand, they have "random team" players mixed in against "full arranged teams"

Jul 10, 2007

i thought the same thing too, but to get 3 high level teams in a row?

to answer your Q, i didn't check their team rating.