**Official** Spiderman 3 thread

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Everybody in my group thought the movie sucked compared to the last two. Heres some thoughts

-Sandman. Storyline is completely unnecessary and boring as hell. In the end it was never really wrapped up. The daughter is still sick, he is still alive. Peter Parker forgives him? Who the fvck cares, Sandman still needs money
-Goblin 2. Relatively well done. Except: who the hell was that butler. That was a weirdass version of Alfred. And seriously, why wait until now to tell Harry his dad killed himself when he's been going nuts for all this time
-The emo thing, WOW. What a ****** joke. At least make him more bad ass rather than making me thinking he's one LInkin park song away from eating a razor blade brownie. I felt like 30 minutes of the movie was completely unnecessary, what the hell is up w/ the dancing on the street? IT wasn't bad ass, itw asn't impressive, it wasn't even really funny.
-Comedic relief, very very poorly timed. GO from a funny moment to a fvcked up moment in an instant.
-The American Flag moment. w..t..f.. need i say more?
-Way too much cheesy writing and ridiculous one-liners

PROS
-AMAZING CGI effects
-Venom, the short period that he existed, was good. Topher Grace did a wonderful job with it, really made him insane. ALthough i feel like since he's relatively scrawny and plays a better crazy guy than a big angry guy, he would have been a better cast as Carnage.
-Restaurant scene. Hilarious. Although i feel like it's better off in a romantic comedy.

czech09

Diamond Member
Nov 13, 2004
Originally posted by: Willoughbyva
This movie was great. I loved it more than the first two. I think they did an excellent job. I hope the cast and everybody will be back for more.

Seriously? You're definitely in the minority here heh...

CKDragon

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2001
Originally posted by: czech09
Originally posted by: Willoughbyva
This movie was great. I loved it more than the first two. I think they did an excellent job. I hope the cast and everybody will be back for more.

Seriously? You're definitely in the minority here heh...

Eh, that's good for him. I went into the movie wanting to like it so bad, maybe that's why it's so much harder to accept that it disappointed me. Oh well, on with real life now, I suppose.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
I just got back from taking my son to see it. Thought it was pretty good. About even with the other 2 IMHO. The biggest letdown was the bad Peter Parker bits walking through the streets. Totally cheesy....way more cheesy than the "Happy Parker" walk of Spiderman 2. I know that is what they were shooting for but still...just felt really lame.

I was actually impressed with how Hayden-Church looked as Sandman. He really bulked up nicely.

I hope that with Doc Conners being in the last two films that they've set it up for a movie with the Lizard.

Verse914

Dec 20, 2006
I thought it was ok. Emo Peter was hilarious...when they showed him for the first time everyone in the theatre starting laughing their asses off.

FreshPrince

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2001
Originally posted by: Queasy
I just got back from taking my son to see it. Thought it was pretty good. About even with the other 2 IMHO. The biggest letdown was the bad Peter Parker bits walking through the streets. Totally cheesy....way more cheesy than the "Happy Parker" walk of Spiderman 2. I know that is what they were shooting for but still...just felt really lame.

I was actually impressed with how Hayden-Church looked as Sandman. He really bulked up nicely.

I hope that with Doc Conners being in the last two films that they've set it up for a movie with the Lizard.

lizard would be awesome!

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
I really liked the movie...more story than action but that was the beauty of it. :)

I hate how all the news places are like "Oh it smashed the previous box office record for one day total and weekend total"...when you ****** charge me $9.50 to see it, of course it's going to beat the previous box office records. Last year a movie only cost me $8.50 to go see. The year before, $7.50, etc. I really wish they'd calculate increasing ticket prices, or count "records" based off qty of tickets sold, rather than dollar amount, which rises with inflation/rising costs/etc.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
I hate how all the news places are like "Oh it smashed the previous box office record for one day total and weekend total"...when you ****** charge me $9.50 to see it, of course it's going to beat the previous box office records. Last year a movie only cost me $8.50 to go see. The year before, $7.50, etc. I really wish they'd calculate increasing ticket prices, or count "records" based off qty of tickets sold, rather than dollar amount, which rises with inflation/rising costs/etc.

I'm not so sure the inflation is counted since I believe most of that is from the theater itself.

Also, I thought the CG was kind of poor at times. Especially during the fight with the large Sandman, it was easy to spot that it was a bluescreen scene. I didn't get this blaring effect during the night time fight between Harry and Peter.

I also thought Venom was horrible in the movie. He just seemed so sissy compared to the "aura" that he gives off.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: Mo0o
Everybody in my group thought the movie sucked compared to the last two. Heres some thoughts

-Sandman. Storyline is completely unnecessary and boring as hell. In the end it was never really wrapped up. The daughter is still sick, he is still alive. Peter Parker forgives him? Who the fvck cares, Sandman still needs money
-Goblin 2. Relatively well done. Except: who the hell was that butler. That was a weirdass version of Alfred. And seriously, why wait until now to tell Harry his dad killed himself when he's been going nuts for all this time
-The emo thing, WOW. What a ****** joke. At least make him more bad ass rather than making me thinking he's one LInkin park song away from eating a razor blade brownie. I felt like 30 minutes of the movie was completely unnecessary, what the hell is up w/ the dancing on the street? IT wasn't bad ass, itw asn't impressive, it wasn't even really funny.
-Comedic relief, very very poorly timed. GO from a funny moment to a fvcked up moment in an instant.
-Way too much cheesy writing and ridiculous one-liners

PROS
-AMAZING CGI effects
-Venom, the short period that he existed, was good. Topher Grace did a wonderful job with it, really made him insane. ALthough i feel like since he's relatively scrawny and plays a better crazy guy than a big angry guy, he would have been a better cast as Carnage.
-Restaurant scene. Hilarious. Although i feel like it's better off in a romantic comedy.

I agree with pretty much everything you said...except I didn't really like the restaurant scene at all.

I enjoyed this movie, it wasn't bad. And that was about the best script one could write incorporating all of those characters into one movie. That doesn't mean its really possible to do it, it just means that the script was an admirable failing attempt at an impossible task. There were a lot of plot tie ups that made me groan, even though they were required in order to glue 3 1/2 villians together with the main plot.

The venom origin being cut down to nothing was probably necessary for time, but couldn't they have come up with something a little more robust then a conviently placed meteor on stealth mode followed by venom hitching a ride on parker's scooter and then living in his dirty laundry?

Eddie Brock in general...he's a very complex and dynamic character. While I can get over the fact Topher Grace is just plain to small to play him he didn't get the screen time or character development he deserves. Venom deserves his own movie I'm afraid.

Sandman tie in with uncle ben...lame ass. What a transparent way to just recycle the defining event from the first movie. Maybe in the next movie they'll redo the flashback and another villain wasting Uncle Ben with a high powered rifle instead of Sandman killing him.

The butler, Mr. Timely McPlotDevice. Terrible. I agree, where the fvck was that butler the last few years? That said, Harry Osborn was by far my favorite part of this movie. They tossed the action figure suit from the first film and let him become the Green Goblin without being the green goblin. His character mostly bagged the "I've got my dad's ghost in my head!" plot (which I think fits with the comics, but was kind of stupid in the movies) and went with a more conventional troubled individual. Even though I'm pretty sure the team up never happened in any of the comics at all, the joining forces piece with the scared up heroic Harry was pretty awesome.

You know, I'm not disappointed because honestly I expected the plot to be a lot worse...but I feel like if they just cut out either sandman or venom, focused on Harry versus Peter with them eventually joining forces, cut out the half hour of street dancing and fleshed out the remaining bits this would have been solid.

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Mo0o

Spiderman 1 one had it. Why is it so bad? I thought it was refreshing after Superman Returns' "Truth, Justice, and all that other stuff" moment.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
I'm not going to analyze the movie but I liked it. Thomas Hayden Church will always be Lowell Mather to me though. :)

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Feldenak
I'm not going to analyze the movie but I liked it. Thomas Hayden Church will always be Lowell Mather to me though. :)

Heh :thumbsup:

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Spiderman 3 Plot-Holes/Conveniences/Plot-Devices:

1) Harry's amnesia.
2) Spiderman swinging away after saving Gwen and leaving a seemingly rampaging crane behind.
3) The symbiote's meteor crashing right next to Peter and MJ.
4) The symbiote waiting in Peter's apartment for days seemingly before finally attaching itself to him.
5) The butler.
6) Sandman leaving at the end with no resolution to the story of his daughter.
7) What about the piece of the symbiote that Doc Connors has?
8) Brock just happening to be in the same church as Spiderman.
9) The complete inability of Peter, Mary Jane, and Harry to say anything of consequence to each other that would result in none of the conflicts that occurred.

add your own.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
I thought the movie was good. It could not hold it self up to the previous two, but it was still enjoyable.

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002

2) Spiderman swinging away after saving Gwen and leaving a seemingly rampaging crane behind.

lol i completely forgot about that. perhaps that is what they were hoping for:Q

9) The complete inability of Peter, Mary Jane, and Harry to say anything of consequence to each other that would result in none of the conflicts that occurred.

yeah, that was just ridiculously frustrating. so stupid that mary didn't tell him she lost the job, etc etc etc.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
8) Brock just happening to be in the same church as Spiderman.n.

Actually... that's in the comics. Except Brock is there to beg forgiveness for contemplating suicide, rather than to ask God to kill Parker.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003

7) What about the piece of the symbiote that Doc Connors has?

I thought it looked like he partially dissolved it on that microscope slide.

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Injury
8) Brock just happening to be in the same church as Spiderman.n.

Actually... that's in the comics. Except Brock is there to beg forgiveness for contemplating suicide, rather than to ask God to kill Parker.

Yeah, it seemed like it was written in a way that made it seem like less of a coincidence though.

CKDragon

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2001
Originally posted by: PingSpike
<snip>

You know, I'm not disappointed because honestly I expected the plot to be a lot worse...but I feel like if they just cut out either sandman or venom, focused on Harry versus Peter with them eventually joining forces, cut out the half hour of street dancing and fleshed out the remaining bits this would have been solid.

Finally, someone has managed to put into words what I think would have been great changes. This movie left me with an odd feeling that things should have been better but I wasn't sure how to fix them.

Completely excising the sad sack Sandman story would have made the movie a LOT better in my opinion. After Doc Ock, Sandman was such an unsatisfactory villain. The Harry/Peter parts were my favorite scenes so I would have preferred they focus on that. If they REALLY needed a 2nd main villain to convey some of the same plot messages, I would have preferred them to do both Venom and Carnage in one movie.

A bit off topic, but I'll tell you what's refreshing - Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place, but it seems like there aren't nearly as many "It was good!" / "It was bad!" fanboy arguments concerning this movie as there are on most comic book movies. It seems like most of the discussion is on how they would have improved it.

oddyager

Diamond Member
May 21, 2005
I thought 3 was meh, and doesn't compare to the first 2.

add your own.

I think we're left to assume they did cut off power to that block. James Cromwell gave the command as soon as he arrived on the scene.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Saw the movie and have a few questions:

1. What did Stan Lee say to Peter while both of them looked at the street marquee? I love it when he and Bruce were in cameo roles in movies 1 and 2.

2. In the comics, did Goobling Jr. team up with Spiderman as in the movie and died? And did the Sandman survive in the comics?

3. Is it just me or what because I thought the landlord daughter in this movie is not the same as the 2nd movie. The one in the 2nd movie was hot, this one is too young and skinny and not as pretty.

Comments:
I think this one is trying too hard to be funny, i.e. Peter was trying to act cool on the street and in the jazz club. Not enough action and too many plots/characters to scramble in. I like the 1st and 2nd much better.

I thought they tried too hard to humanize Sandman, made him "not so bad" badguy.

Goobling Jr. in all black and facemask with a snowboard shaped glider makes him look like over grown Power Ranger IMO.

The black thingie didn't like any noise but why it jumped on the bike without any hesitation. Why it didn't jump on Peter earlier instead of later? Too bad they didn't evolve more of Venom, one of my favorite bad guy.

Oct 4, 2004
Never read the comics but I liked the movie. I liked the scene in the Jazz club too! Maybe you guys are coming too hard on the whole emo thing. Yes, it was a little long compared to the 'Raindrops keep falling on my head' sequence in the second movie but it didn't seem out of place. He wasn't whiny - he just turned from a bad-ass into an ass before turning back into a bad-ass.

I think it would have been better for Peter-Mary to have fallen out because of their own misunderstandings and none of that Harry 'I will make him suffer by hitting his heart and making her dump him' stuff - that felt too much like a Bollywood movie. As for the Sandman thing, I am going to assume Spidey will let him pull off a heist without screwing things up for him.

I didn't think it was weepy. He cries when the love of his life dumps him. He cries when he learns about his Uncle. He cries when Harry kicks the bucket. Sounds pretty reasonable.

And Bryce Dallas Howard is ghastly white!

Toastedlightly

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2004

Seeing it this weekend.. I skipped the spoilers just to get here. I'll be back Saturday night w/ results.