Official Playstation 5 thread

Page 88 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
That is the first time I've ever heard someone say Xbox 360 ruined console gaming.

Xbox 360 is probably the last "great" console there was. Since then it's kind of been downhill IMO.

They also pioneered the way for a lot of the online "normals" we have now a days like digital store fronts, indie game access, online gaming and matchmaking, as well as other things like wireless controllers being standard, dashboards, storage, and then some.

The Xbox 360 was peak gaming time for me personally.

Though it was trash hardware I think the PS4 was a pretty amazing console just on the strength of library. 360 was super impressive in the early gen though. Then Don Mattrick ruined the XBox name for years trying to steer it to casuals thinking he could recreate the success of the Wii.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Though it was trash hardware I think the PS4 was a pretty amazing console just on the strength of library. 360 was super impressive in the early gen though. Then Don Mattrick ruined the XBox name for years trying to steer it to casuals thinking he could recreate the success of the Wii.
Yeah the 360 launch is the best launch probably ever, as far as titles go. There was a good variety of solid games. They also had great marketing and contests which made that time so much fun. I won a trip to Zero Hour which was a blast and even saw little hobbit ass Elijah Wood there, playing King Kong lol, to tie into Peter Jackson and LOTR.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I just grabbed God of War in store at Best Buy and they had 3 GoW bundle PS5's behind the counter. 1 disk and 2 digital. I asked if those were for sale and they said yup, first come first serve.

That is the first time I've ever seen a PS5 on shelves to buy.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I started it last night and only got to play for 40 minutes but the beginning had some emotional scenes. My puppy was really attentive during the beginning portion but he was also barking and jumping at the TV so I need to start over so I can pay attention to the storyline.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Grabbed my GoW preorder at Best Buy yesterday as well. I beat RE7 finally just in time the night before.

I only played for about an hour but I’m also loving it so far. I think I ended up on the 120 Hz mode, which feels fantastic.

What are you guys doing for difficulty? I did second highest, kind of wish I tried the maximum. It feels pretty souls-like so far with the dodging and parrying.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
I started it last night and only got to play for 40 minutes but the beginning had some emotional scenes. My puppy was really attentive during the beginning portion but he was also barking and jumping at the TV so I need to start over so I can pay attention to the storyline.

Lol my dog really “enjoyed” the early scenes as well. He’s three years old and jumping at the TV is one thing I haven’t figured out how to train. Luckily the LG OLED glass can take a beating 🙄

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Grabbed my GoW preorder at Best Buy yesterday as well. I beat RE7 finally just in time the night before.

I only played for about an hour but I’m also loving it so far. I think I ended up on the 120 Hz mode, which feels fantastic.

What are you guys doing for difficulty? I did second highest, kind of wish I tried the maximum. It feels pretty souls-like so far with the dodging and parrying.
I am doing give me balance. The fight in the beginning did whoop my butt a few times. Been a while since I played the first title and coming from elden ring I think I need to switch circle to evade rather than x.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
One thing From must have done is must have is messed with the tall grass pop in settings... which is now comically bad. Most notably in the western part of the Southern Island. Almost would be better to have left it off.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Finally starting god of war, a bit late. Been messing with the different graphics modes. Since I have a 120hz VRR TV I've been focusing on the HFR Quality mode and the performance HFR mode. 40fps is fine when compared to 30 and there is a definite uptick in certain assets in the game. Something about playing the game at 80-90fps though is pretty damn nice.

The key differences I can find come in the fur, the LOD, and some shadows and lighting effects(hard to tell). Anything up close to Kratos and even Kratos himself looks really sharp either way and I cannot nitpick much there. The resolution is definitely lower and it's obvious in certain objects with more visual aliasing but I have played games that look half as good as this one even with HFR Performance mode being less technically advanced than the quality mode. For that reason I think I'm going to play in performance mode, the downgrade in visuals isn't as noticeable as ratchet and clank was and the uptick in performance feels more profound than I have experienced in other games. Ratchet and Clank at 40fps fidelity mode with VRR and Horizon at 30fps quality mode felt better than God of War in it's quality mode but their respective performance modes had a steeper downgrade in visual quality. God of War is really well done that way.

I've also used a few accessibility options. High contrast mode for interactive objects like doors, chests, health pickups etc in red. I set this to the touchpad swipe down so before I move from an area I can quickly scan around for things I might miss. I use swipe up to use navigation aid so it points me in the right direction of I get turned around. There are other useful options like turning the hud on or off which I also have tried but don't feel I need. I also use auto pickup because I got tired of pressing O to pickup health packs and hacksilver.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Just preordered a PSVR2. For some reason the event opened up earlier than 11am and thankfully I was checking it out lol.

Reactions: blckgrffn

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Forspoken demo is out too and I'm glad they put that out there because it saved me $70 most likely. I planned on getting it day one but after playing the demo, I'm most likely passing. I am just not a fan of the gameplay really. The world is completely empty and barren as well. And damn the graphics suck. I play in performance mode and Elden Ring looks so much better than this game, but it's a year old, multiplatform, and on last gen.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Forspoken demo is out too and I'm glad they put that out there because it saved me $70 most likely. I planned on getting it day one but after playing the demo, I'm most likely passing. I am just not a fan of the gameplay really. The world is completely empty and barren as well. And damn the graphics suck. I play in performance mode and Elden Ring looks so much better than this game, but it's a year old, multiplatform, and on last gen.

You aren’t alone there. I have seen lots of hate. Apparently the game can drop to 720p at times. It really looks like a ps3 game in some areas. The UI is also terrible with some fish eye effect.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
You aren’t alone there. I have seen lots of hate. Apparently the game can drop to 720p at times. It really looks like a ps3 game in some areas. The UI is also terrible with some fish eye effect.
I wouldn't even call it hate. It's just not that good and doesn't look good at all.

On another note, anyone else get into the Street Fighter 6 beta? That game looks fantastic graphically.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
FYI, rumors are heating up that Sony is going to announce/release the PS5 "Slim" very soon, perhaps as early as CES. This does not have a disk drive at all... instead there will be an external (presumably proprietary) drive that you will have to buy separately. Pricing hasn't leaked yet but I would be very surprised if it was less than $399 for the console and $100 for the drive and there's a nonzero chance either will be more than that.

Jul 27, 2020
There's a rumor they are gonna release a "refreshed" PS5 in 2023 with updated hardware specs :S

Looks like mid-console cycle refreshes are here to stay.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
There's been a rumor about a slim PS5 since like 8 months after it came out.

There's been a rumor about a Switch Pro since like 2018.

Just sayin...

Jul 27, 2020

2023 may introduce the fourth PS5 console iteration, and is expected to be the most dramatic console revision to date.

Dammit! I should have waited and gotten the 3rd revision, at least.