Official Playstation 5 thread

Page 24 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Looks like ps5 will eventually get VRR support via an update on the future.

Yeah but it should have had it from the start. Also according to Vincent Teoh from HDTVTest, the ps5 is capped at 32Gbps from its HDMI port so it can’t do 4K/120hz with 4:4:4 chroma sub sampling. It defaults down to 4:2:2. This makes a difference in color gradients where banding can be a concern. We will have to see if this affects games going forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elfear

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Just to note also best buy has been selling ps5's systems for over an hour now. They have a nice system where they let people add to cart and release stock every couple of minutes.

Once the item is in your cart, you get a confirmation email with a code you need to put in before you hit checkout. I was able to get a pulse 3d headset using this method.

Will have to go pick it up Saturday but hopefully my ps5 will get here by then too.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Just to note also best buy has been selling ps5's systems for over an hour now. They have a nice system where they let people add to cart and release stock every couple of minutes.

Once the item is in your cart, you get a confirmation email with a code you need to put in before you hit checkout. I was able to get a pulse 3d headset using this method.

Will have to go pick it up Saturday but hopefully my ps5 will get here by then too.

Except it just says sold out on the site

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

Just now? Or earlier today around 5:30am?

I know they were doing it earlier but didn't know now.

I tried to get an XSX and had it in my cart for like an hour and it kept going in/out of stock for local pickup next weekend and it never went through. It jsut kept erroring out.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Except it just says sold out on the site
Just now? Or earlier today around 5:30am?

I know they were doing it earlier but didn't know now.

I tried to get an XSX and had it in my cart for like an hour and it kept going in/out of stock for local pickup next weekend and it never went through. It jsut kept erroring out.
Looks like the pulse 3d headset is still available but the consoles are sold out. I think they dropped stock from 5am to 7am but there were reddit posts around 9-10am about availability being intermittent. This was all est time zone.

I would expect stock to be more prevalent now that it's closer to Black Friday and holidays are coming up.

I also want a series X but I need to figure out what to do with the ps4 pro and the Xbox one X first.

Most of my xbox titles are digital, does that mean they are tied to my Microsoft account? So I could wipe the X and try to sell it at some point.

Reactions: blckgrffn

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Looks like the pulse 3d headset is still available but the consoles are sold out. I think they dropped stock from 5am to 7am but there were reddit posts around 9-10am about availability being intermittent. This was all est time zone.

I would expect stock to be more prevalent now that it's closer to Black Friday and holidays are coming up.

I also want a series X but I need to figure out what to do with the ps4 pro and the Xbox one X first.

Most of my xbox titles are digital, does that mean they are tied to my Microsoft account? So I could wipe the X and try to sell it at some point.

Yeah digital games are on your account.

Reactions: blckgrffn

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
This is my first introduction to Souls games with Demon's Souls. I can see how it can be addicting but I am kind of lost. It also "feels" like an old game.

I'm still in the first area and can't even get to the first boss that you apparently kill and then it opens up more where you can level up and stuff. But I ahven't gotten there and my only good weapon is damaged and I wasn't sure wtf to do. But after I turned it off, I thought that I guess I could get some souls and then teleport back to the nexus to talk to the blacksmith and then repair my weapon.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
This is my first introduction to Souls games with Demon's Souls. I can see how it can be addicting but I am kind of lost. It also "feels" like an old game.

I'm still in the first area and can't even get to the first boss that you apparently kill and then it opens up more where you can level up and stuff. But I ahven't gotten there and my only good weapon is damaged and I wasn't sure wtf to do. But after I turned it off, I thought that I guess I could get some souls and then teleport back to the nexus to talk to the blacksmith and then repair my weapon.
Well it is a remake. The first one came out a long time ago. It apparently is the easiest souls game. Dark souls I think is harder. I watched a walkthrough to prepare myself. The very first boss after the tutorial area, I think you are supposed to die and then you go to the nexus area.

I also heard that each time you die the game gets harder because the world gets darker or something. It's really more about learning from your mistakes and figuring out weaknesses and tricks for enemies.

If you go back to where you die, you collect the souls you lost.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Well it is a remake. The first one came out a long time ago. It apparently is the easiest souls game. Dark souls I think is harder. I watched a walkthrough to prepare myself. The very first boss after the tutorial area, I think you are supposed to die and then you go to the nexus area.

I also heard that each time you die the game gets harder because the world gets darker or something. It's really more about learning from your mistakes and figuring out weaknesses and tricks for enemies.

If you go back to where you die, you collect the souls you lost.
Yeah I heard they have also fixed some of the control issues and general QOL stuff. I'm sure the OG one feels even older.

I'm at that first part after the nexus and so far have made like zero progress. I just finally got to the part where I opened some gate that makes the level shorter so I can get back to where I keep getting my ass handed to me quicker. It's starting to click a little bit. I can see how it's addicting because everything about it seems so basic but it's still pretty damn difficult.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
That's the thing about these games. They don't have save points. But the levels have shortcuts so you don't need to deal with all the enemies again that much unless you want to farm.

I also found that the character you first pick and how you spend your upgrades tends to be important. But they say for demon souls it doesn't matter much in the beginning because as you level up you basically respec your guy.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Okay I am SUPER impressed with the controller and the haptic triggers. Holy crap it's amazing how different they can feel playing Astrobot. Now I "get" what the devs were talking about with Ratchet and Clank how with one gun you pull half way and get one ammo, pull the full way and you get another. I can see that working perfectly with a machine gun that has a grenade launcher on it. It's one of those things though that is hard to explain and you just gotta try it.

I suspect only some games will make full use of the triggers, but it is a bit freaky when it's used -- it goes from easy to pull (which still feels great) to requiring a concerted effort at the drop of a hat.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I suspect only some games will make full use of the triggers, but it is a bit freaky when it's used -- it goes from easy to pull (which still feels great) to requiring a concerted effort at the drop of a hat.
Yeah I wish Demon's Souls used it somehow. Only way I could think that was obvious is if it added tension as you pull the bow and arrow. It would just add a nice extra dimension. And do it with the sound of the draw on the controller too.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Yeah I wish Demon's Souls used it somehow. Only way I could think that was obvious is if it added tension as you pull the bow and arrow. It would just add a nice extra dimension. And do it with the sound of the draw on the controller too.
I'm sure they will use it for something in the future like God of war. I also heard each call of duty gun profile is supposed to be different. I wonder if that does something with the haptic feedback and triggers. I have that title on pc so won't be getting it for ps5.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

Hopefully that went alright. I went to pick up some UHD movies on Sunday, and it was a horrid mess at Best Buy. Even though I ordered in the early morning for 1-hour pick-up, over half of my movies weren't ready and they had no idea where they were. I actually had to go out and look for them, which I was only able to find one by that point. Overheard some remarks from order pullers (in plainclothes... guess to avoid questions?) about how badly mismanaged the inventory group is and how they hadn't stocked anything all day.

Although, Best Buy does have the Xbox controllers on sale for $40 (down from $60), but unsurprisingly, no discount on the DualSense controller.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Hopefully that went alright. I went to pick up some UHD movies on Sunday, and it was a horrid mess at Best Buy. Even though I ordered in the early morning for 1-hour pick-up, over half of my movies weren't ready and they had no idea where they were. I actually had to go out and look for them, which I was only able to find one by that point. Overheard some remarks from order pullers (in plainclothes... guess to avoid questions?) about how badly mismanaged the inventory group is and how they hadn't stocked anything all day.

Although, Best Buy does have the Xbox controllers on sale for $40 (down from $60), but unsurprisingly, no discount on the DualSense controller.
I did notice on their orders page of my profile they do have a disclaimer about shipping and some ship to store products may arrive later than usual.

My status still says preparing for pick up Saturday. I never really had issues with my existing store's pickup option.

I figure I'll try out the pulse 3d, if I don't like it or it's uncomfortable, then I'll return it and get something like the Arctis 7x or 7p. Probably the 7p since they are made for ps5.

It's weird though. The Arctis 7x works for ps5, xbox series X, and pc. The 7p is tailored to the ps5 with a sidetone and mic dial instead of chatmix dial.

I currently have a pair of Arctis 7 wireless headphones for PC I purchased last year. I can hook these up when I get a series X using the 3.5mm cable. I wonder if the 7x has anything in particular for the Xbox or if I would miss out on by using the cable.

I do know that using the 3.5mm cable with my current Arctis 7's on the Xbox one controller seemed to give me audio that was choppy or popped. Not sure if that was specific to the mafia remastered game I have been playing.

My GameStop bundle is an hour away from me. Let's see if fedex will actually deliver it today or if that was the last update on the tracking for today.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I did notice on their orders page of my profile they do have a disclaimer about shipping and some ship to store products may arrive later than usual.

My status still says preparing for pick up Saturday. I never really had issues with my existing store's pickup option.

I figure I'll try out the pulse 3d, if I don't like it or it's uncomfortable, then I'll return it and get something like the Arctis 7x or 7p. Probably the 7p since they are made for ps5.

It's weird though. The Arctis 7x works for ps5, xbox series X, and pc. The 7p is tailored to the ps5 with a sidetone and mic dial instead of chatmix dial.

I currently have a pair of Arctis 7 wireless headphones for PC I purchased last year. I can hook these up when I get a series X using the 3.5mm cable. I wonder if the 7x has anything in particular for the Xbox or if I would miss out on by using the cable.

I do know that using the 3.5mm cable with my current Arctis 7's on the Xbox one controller seemed to give me audio that was choppy or popped. Not sure if that was specific to the mafia remastered game I have been playing.

My GameStop bundle is an hour away from me. Let's see if fedex will actually deliver it today or if that was the last update on the tracking for today.

The audio will be the same wireless or wired. The Xbox headset works on everything because the ps5 uses generic mode(pc mode) and the Xbox simply needs Microsoft certification with a proprietary chip for authentication once you have that, you can put a toggle between pc and Xbox. This is why Audeze advertises their Penrose Planar Magnetic Xbox headset as being universal with the PlayStation one only pc and PlayStation.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
The audio will be the same wireless or wired. The Xbox headset works on everything because the ps5 uses generic mode(pc mode) and the Xbox simply needs Microsoft certification with a proprietary chip for authentication once you have that, you can put a toggle between pc and Xbox. This is why Audeze advertises their Penrose Planar Magnetic Xbox headset as being universal with the PlayStation one only pc and PlayStation.
If that's the case I'll keep my PC arctic's 7's for the Xbox. If I don't like the pulse 3D's I'll probably get the 7p's just for ps5.

Only downside to the Arctics is obviously no integration with the ps5 UI for battery and volume level, etc. And you also don't get your audio back to the tv when you turn your headset off. You have to unplug the Arctics adapter front he console. Whereas with the pulse headset it handles the audio switching.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

Back when I was playing Warframe on Xbox, I was looking for a good wireless headset for the Xbox. This was a bit more important because Warframe supports mouse and keyboard natively on the Xbox, but that means you'd need to have a controller connected (to use its 3.5mm connector) in addition to the mouse and keyboard or use an xbox-compatible wireless headset. The biggest problem that I ran into is that there are not many headsets that have built-in Xbox wireless support. Most headsets that claim Xbox compatibility are referring to using the 3.5mm jack on the controller. Lack of choice doesn't bode well when you're someone with a large noggin that generally has issues finding comfortable headphones.

What I ended up doing was continuing to use my HyperX Cloud Alpha headset as it's probably one of the most comfortable gaming-oriented headsets that I've ever used (with my big noggin). As a side note, on my desktop, I use the Sennheiser 598SE with an AT2035 XLR mic; the Sennheiser headphones are really comfortable too. I tried the Turtle Beach Stealth 700 with the Xbox, which has native wireless support, but they just weren't comfortable. In the end, I just kept the controller connected via a wire and plugged the Cloud Alpha headset into it. (I used a wire as the controller would turn off due to inactivity since I was using a keyboard and mouse.)

That's actually one thing that I've largely not been a fan with when it comes to Microsoft's peripheral implementation. They just don't get good support for their wireless implementation.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Back when I was playing Warframe on Xbox, I was looking for a good wireless headset for the Xbox. This was a bit more important because Warframe supports mouse and keyboard natively on the Xbox, but that means you'd need to have a controller connected (to use its 3.5mm connector) in addition to the mouse and keyboard or use an xbox-compatible wireless headset. The biggest problem that I ran into is that there are not many headsets that have built-in Xbox wireless support. Most headsets that claim Xbox compatibility are referring to using the 3.5mm jack on the controller. Lack of choice doesn't bode well when you're someone with a large noggin that generally has issues finding comfortable headphones.

What I ended up doing was continuing to use my HyperX Cloud Alpha headset as it's probably one of the most comfortable gaming-oriented headsets that I've ever used (with my big noggin). As a side note, on my desktop, I use the Sennheiser 598SE with an AT2035 XLR mic; the Sennheiser headphones are really comfortable too. I tried the Turtle Beach Stealth 700 with the Xbox, which has native wireless support, but they just weren't comfortable. In the end, I just kept the controller connected via a wire and plugged the Cloud Alpha headset into it. (I used a wire as the controller would turn off due to inactivity since I was using a keyboard and mouse.)

That's actually one thing that I've largely not been a fan with when it comes to Microsoft's peripheral implementation. They just don't get good support for their wireless implementation.
I think the Arctics 7x are the wireless answer to that. But I hear the hyperX clouds are very highly rated too. Last year I was looking for a headset I could use with all systems wireless and that wasn't available yet so I bought the regular wireless 7's just for use with PC. Regardless they came with a 3.5mm that fits the PlayStation as well as the Xbox controller but hae not tried the adapter on the ps4.

Looks like 2 FedEx vans came to my complex today. Neither of them stopped to drop off anything. Now I see they updated the tracking information to say deliver by end of day tomorrow.

I swear if one of these drivers stole my console I'm gonna be pissed. You're telling me this morning it was last reported 1hr away at 4am and this whole time it didn't move lol.

There's several reports of people's consoles being stolen or "lost".

Last edited:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I think the Arctics 7x are the wireless answer to that. But I hear the hyperX clouds are very highly rated too. Last year I was looking for a headset I could use with all systems wireless and that wasn't available yet so I bought the regular wireless 7's just for use with PC. Regardless they came with a 3.5mm that fits the PlayStation as well as the Xbox controller but hae not tried the adapter on the ps4.

Looks like 2 FedEx vans came to my complex today. Neither of them stopped to drop off anything. Now I see they updated the tracking information to say deliver by end of day tomorrow.

I swear if one of these drivers stole my console I'm gonna be pissed. You're telling me this morning it was last reported 1hr away at 4am and this whole time it didn't move lol.

I have the Arctis 7 and they are great. No need to spend more money on gimmicks. What I do want are a set of good wireless OPEN back headphones. I've only seen one pair of those recently be launched and they are xbox only, and I have a PS4 pro.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

Yeah. Drivers know these consoles are moving around and shipping out. They are looking inside boxes. Lots of people report getting packages that were clearly opened and then sealed again not even ordering a console.

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
Valve added support for Sony's new DualSense Wireless Controller to the Steam Input API so you can use it to play Steam games

If you're one of the lucky ten people in your neighbourhood actually to score a PlayStation 5, you can now use your controller to play PC games through Steam. The latest Steam client update added full support for Sony's fancy new controller.

Valve just rolled out a new update for Steam, which includes further controller support in the Steam Input API. Specifically, Valve added support for Sony's new DualSense wireless controller, including features such as the LED lights, the trackpad, the rumble system, and the gyro input. Best of all, developers don't have to do anything. Valve said the controller "just works."

Sony's DualSense controller won't work will all games, but it will work with a large portion of them. Basically, any game that supports the Steam Input API will get automatic support for the new controller.

If you're wondering why Valve would take the time to add support for Sony's new controller, it's because there's actually a huge player base that uses a controller on Steam. Valve said that in the last two years, the number of gamepad users on its platform has doubled. According to Valve's data, as much as 60% of Steam gamers have gamepads, and for some games, it can be as high as 90% of the player base

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Valve added support for Sony's new DualSense Wireless Controller to the Steam Input API so you can use it to play Steam games

If you're one of the lucky ten people in your neighbourhood actually to score a PlayStation 5, you can now use your controller to play PC games through Steam. The latest Steam client update added full support for Sony's fancy new controller.

Valve just rolled out a new update for Steam, which includes further controller support in the Steam Input API. Specifically, Valve added support for Sony's new DualSense wireless controller, including features such as the LED lights, the trackpad, the rumble system, and the gyro input. Best of all, developers don't have to do anything. Valve said the controller "just works."

Sony's DualSense controller won't work will all games, but it will work with a large portion of them. Basically, any game that supports the Steam Input API will get automatic support for the new controller.

If you're wondering why Valve would take the time to add support for Sony's new controller, it's because there's actually a huge player base that uses a controller on Steam. Valve said that in the last two years, the number of gamepad users on its platform has doubled. According to Valve's data, as much as 60% of Steam gamers have gamepads, and for some games, it can be as high as 90% of the player base

Yeah, some games just work better with controllers. I loved having the performance of my PC (and HD textures) for Nier: Automata but I played it with first a 360 controller and then a xbox one controller which was even better.

Reactions: JPB

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
Yeah, some games just work better with controllers. I loved having the performance of my PC (and HD textures) for Nier: Automata but I played it with first a 360 controller and then a xbox one controller which was even better.
I agree. I play a lot of games similar to Devil May Cry 5. Imagine playing that with a keyboard ?

Reactions: zinfamous