Official Playstation 5 thread

Page 26 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Gamestop is offering $175 credit or $140 cash for both X1X and PS4 Pro. I am thinking of doing that once I xfer everything over. Probably would just do the cash though as I don't shop at GS often.

I was going to say that might not be a great deal given the time of year (people looking for gifts, but also lower prices all around); however, I checked eBay, and the PS4 Pro is going for about $200 (or more with extras). If you take away the 10% you lose from eBay and the 5% from PayPal, plus combine it with all the hassle of having to put up a good auction... that $140 is looking much nicer. :p

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Gamestop is offering $175 credit or $140 cash for both X1X and PS4 Pro. I am thinking of doing that once I xfer everything over. Probably would just do the cash though as I don't shop at GS often.

I easily sold my One S for $180 locally and the OG Xbox today for $170. One in FB marketplace, the other on CL. Why short yourself $40-$60 man? :)

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Best buy also does trade ins too and they will give you a $150 gift card for an X1X.

Another app to try and sell local is OfferUp. I see so many of them on there for $250, some with extra games or controllers. I don't know what's worse, this app or Craigslist but on both you will get low offers so $180 sounds about right for just the console. Surprised the OG xbox went for that much.

Would I need to transfer saved games form the X1X to the series X? Or are they also stored under my Microsoft account?

Save games profiles are the only data I transferred from the ps4 to ps5. Most my X1X titles are digital.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
So, I decided to try out whether a game save created in the PS5 version would load up on the PS4. I probably could’ve just used the PS4 version of Sackboy that installed on my PS5 (be wary of this... the duplication eats up a ton of space), but I figured I’d go the extra mile and use the PS4 instead.

As a side note, why does a console in rest mode have to turn on when I eject a disc? I just want the disc... not to have to go through the hassle of turning you off.

Anyway, after an hour (yes, Sackboy takes that long to install and patch), I found out what I expected... you cannot play saves from the PS5 version on the PS4 version. I have to say that I'm not terribly surprised about this. My guess is that the entire PS5 upgrade concept was a quick hack meant to make up for Microsoft's announcement of the Smart Delivery system for generation upgrades. Although, I guess what makes it even more awkward is that even though the save files are different, the games are still kept under a single title listing. For example, Spider-Man for the PS4 and Spider-Man Remastered for the PS5 do not share save files (Insomniac had to add a one-way save export/upload feature to support it), but I have to switch between the two on the Game Version menu.

Would I need to transfer saved games form the X1X to the series X? Or are they also stored under my Microsoft account?

Save games profiles are the only data I transferred from the ps4 to ps5. Most my X1X titles are digital.

If I remember correctly, since the Xbox One, cloud saves have been free regardless of having Gold or not. (The 360 still requires Gold.) So, your saves should just be available

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
That reminds me of when I was in a local computer store with a friend, and they had a racing game playing on a computer... but with no gamepad. He just couldn't play the game, but was in shock when I played it without any issue on the keyboard. Given how finicky gamepads were back in the day, I never used them on PC.. or rather, didn't have one to use for a long time. So, when playing games like DIRT or Need for Speed Underground, I'd just use a keyboard.

It's only through Steam though. You'll still need DS4Windows for anything else, and I have heard that they're working on support too.

PC gamepads were incredibly awful. That giant stash of unused/unusable no-name hardware that you bought one at a time at Babbages or EB, just hoping it would work, just sat there in your closet, a minefield of shame and regret.. It's really something how that XBox controller, whatever generation it was, became standard to Windows, it really fixed that entire space.

I'm curious though how universal this PS5 solution will be--if it's a steam thing, then that doesn't mean it's fully windows compatible. Steam is no longer the only game in town and when I think about the types of games that really benefit, like Ubisoft games, especially AC, those aren't steam (unless you can still launch through steam to the ubi launcher, and steam still sort of sits below all that? sounds clunky)

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
PC gamepads were incredibly awful. That giant stash of unused/unusable no-name hardware that you bought one at a time at Babbages or EB, just hoping it would work, just sat there in your closet, a minefield of shame and regret.. It's really something how that XBox controller, whatever generation it was, became standard to Windows, it really fixed that entire space.

The hard part is that you usually couldn't cheap out and your fate was placed in the manufacturer's hands in regard to the driver support, but things got a bit better once we started getting generic drivers that handled basic gamepad setups. It wasn't until we got XInput that things really turned around as it pretty much made Xbox controllers just work with the PC. Although, it wasn't until the Xbox One S/X refresh that Microsoft stopped requiring silly dongles for their controllers. Frankly, I think Microsoft's reliance upon proprietary protocols is still one of the worst things about the console. At least for headsets... if someone wants to use a Bluetooth headset, just let them do it. Along the same vein, you can't use Bluetooth keyboards with the Xbox either... even though it supports Bluetooth devices. I remember when I went to play Warframe on the Xbox, and I figured I'd just use my Logitech G613 since it can switch between dongle and Bluetooth. In the end, I had to use Bluetooth with the computer and the dongle with the Xbox.

I'm curious though how universal this PS5 solution will be--if it's a steam thing, then that doesn't mean it's fully windows compatible. Steam is no longer the only game in town and when I think about the types of games that really benefit, like Ubisoft games, especially AC, those aren't steam (unless you can still launch through steam to the ubi launcher, and steam still sort of sits below all that? sounds clunky)

DS4Windows will have to add complete support for it to work outside of Steam. From this article, it appears that they have it mostly implemented as the only holdover is getting full functionality supported under Bluetooth.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I don't understand why Sony won't let you backorder. I'd rather do that and have it ship in January than screw around.

I’ve said this about all the electronic items that are hard to get. I’d pay for the new GPU or for the ps5 knowing I’m in a virtual line and I’ll get it when stock is available. I wouldn’t have to fight broken websites and bots.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I would not imagine it takes long to design a system like EVGA has for a purchase queue. Might be too late now.

I know in the US there is some law that states you can't take money and not deliver a product for a certain amount of time. But then again they could just charge when they ship it out.

They claim some of these people were having a hard time putting food on the table so the reselling of systems has helped. If you can't feed your family I don't think you would have much credit available to purchase several systems and wait on resale.

Either way it's a guaranteed 100% profit every 5-6 years and if you can make like close to 10k a month I guess who's gonna not take that opportunity.

The real problem is those that pay the scalpers. If you don't give them money they are forced to sit on the items.

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
They claim some of these people were having a hard time putting food on the table so the reselling of systems has helped. If you can't feed your family I don't think you would have much credit available to purchase several systems and wait on resale.

I'd probably be less annoyed by it if the scalpers actually had to put much work into it. It's not like they're doing a busy person a favor standing in line for 12 hours, which represents an actual money-for-time setup, but rather, you nab one within a few minutes from the comfort of your computer and turn around to sell it to the guy that got screwed over by the excessive traffic created from the accumulated bot and human traffic.

Reactions: cmdrdredd

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I'd probably be less annoyed by it if the scalpers actually had to put much work into it. It's not like they're doing a busy person a favor standing in line for 12 hours, which represents an actual money-for-time setup, but rather, you nab one within a few minutes from the comfort of your computer and turn around to sell it to the guy that got screwed over by the excessive traffic created from the accumulated bot and human traffic.
Eh, there is still quite a bit of work to get them. If there wasn't, then the people who are paying $1k+ for the consoles would be getting them just as easily as the people scalping them.

Now bots I don't know a thing about, I'm just talking about if you are a person doing it. Talking from experience lol.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Well that system they talked about in the link is a subscription model. It's a pyramid scheme. A person pays $40 a month to sign up for a membership to use the bot network from the company.

Once members secure consoles with the bots the company buys the system from them for +$100 above the retail purchase price.

Then they go and sell the system for +$600-700 more and this goes up the chain. So the manager of this place is not doing anything illegal I suppose other than probably not reporting taxes on the income earned from selling 1000+ consoles. But then again that's just me speculating they don't.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Eh, there is still quite a bit of work to get them. If there wasn't, then the people who are paying $1k+ for the consoles would be getting them just as easily as the people scalping them.

Now bots I don't know a thing about, I'm just talking about if you are a person doing it. Talking from experience lol.

He is referring to bot scripts which just process 20+ transactions at once and you sit back and let it work. You don’t have to physically sit there and do anything.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
He is referring to bot scripts which just process 20+ transactions at once and you sit back and let it work. You don’t have to physically sit there and do anything.
Thats not happening though. Those articles talking about getting 3.5k ps5s has thousands of members. Probably like one or two per person maybe. They also have the same server overload issues we all have.

The whole "bot" term has become too mainstream. If anyone doesnt get a ps5 they blame it on bots. That is simply not true. If bots were getting them all then none of us would be getting them manually. A bot isn't going to be able to order 20 items before a human can order 1. That's just now how it works. THe bots may get someone in at the front of the line but after that they are back at the back of the line.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Thats not happening though. Those articles talking about getting 3.5k ps5s has thousands of members. Probably like one or two per person maybe. They also have the same server overload issues we all have.

The whole "bot" term has become too mainstream. If anyone doesnt get a ps5 they blame it on bots. That is simply not true. If bots were getting them all then none of us would be getting them manually. A bot isn't going to be able to order 20 items before a human can order 1. That's just now how it works. THe bots may get someone in at the front of the line but after that they are back at the back of the line.
But that is the point of a bot, to checkout and complete an order way faster than any human can. It can go through the checkout tasks in microseconds. All of this can be automated using frameworks like selenium.

One person was able to get 45 3080's using a single bot script when nvidia first launched their cards.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
But that is the point of a bot, to checkout and complete an order way faster than any human can. It can go through the checkout tasks in microseconds. All of this can be automated using frameworks like selenium.

One person was able to get 45 3080's using a single bot script when nvidia first launched their cards.

Yes but my point is it's not bots grabbing everything. There are plenty of non-bots grabbing stuff. The way people talk about bots now is their only excuse if they don't get one by logging onto Walmart.com at 9:10pm.

"Oh I didn't get one because all the bots got them."

That simply isn't true.

Also that link you posted is one site. It also is just an order confirmation. Who knows if all those 42 orders went through and he actually received them. Many of the sites have different preventions in place to prevent a bunch of orders from the same IP. Yes it can be bypassed with proxies but it's not like this is something that everyone on facebook can do or is doing.

I'm in a discord channel that used to be an irc channel from back in the 90's with a group of guys that we all just game. Every single one of us has snagged PS5 and XSX manually without bots just by paying attention and putting in the effort on knowing when sites are going to drop their inventory. Many of us have gotten multiples of both consoles too, again, with no bots. You just have to put in the work.

simas

Oct 16, 2005
Yes but my point is it's not bots grabbing everything. There are plenty of non-bots grabbing stuff. The way people talk about bots now is their only excuse if they don't get one by logging onto Walmart.com at 9:10pm.

"Oh I didn't get one because all the bots got them."

That simply isn't true.

Also that link you posted is one site. It also is just an order confirmation. Who knows if all those 42 orders went through and he actually received them. Many of the sites have different preventions in place to prevent a bunch of orders from the same IP. Yes it can be bypassed with proxies but it's not like this is something that everyone on facebook can do or is doing.

I'm in a discord channel that used to be an irc channel from back in the 90's with a group of guys that we all just game. Every single one of us has snagged PS5 and XSX manually without bots just by paying attention and putting in the effort on knowing when sites are going to drop their inventory. Many of us have gotten multiples of both consoles too, again, with no bots. You just have to put in the work.

I think the line is pretty grey there in 'bot' vs 'non-bot'. I.e. I have been trying to get PS5 and had zero luck with it , watching the nowinstock and similar sites. I have seen walmart crash on me multiple times whenever they do their drops, so it requires a major amount of luck to get one , not just 'put in the work'.

I did get the XBX on order but I did it as others through ahem 'manual clicking' where i caught microsoft store on the drop to add to the cart (and it instantly became unbuyable) and then use javascript inside of my browser clicking on 'play order' for me every 500 ms. Hours upon hours of script inside of my browser clicking on that button me after everything else is done (i am logged in , there is address , payment method selected, etc). How is this not a bot behavior that normal humans have to do otherwise you will never be able to actually place an order? Thus, very grey line.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I think the line is pretty grey there in 'bot' vs 'non-bot'. I.e. I have been trying to get PS5 and had zero luck with it , watching the nowinstock and similar sites. I have seen walmart crash on me multiple times whenever they do their drops, so it requires a major amount of luck to get one , not just 'put in the work'.

I did get the XBX on order but I did it as others through ahem 'manual clicking' where i caught microsoft store on the drop to add to the cart (and it instantly became unbuyable) and then use javascript inside of my browser clicking on 'play order' for me every 500 ms. Hours upon hours of script inside of my browser clicking on that button me after everything else is done (i am logged in , there is address , payment method selected, etc). How is this not a bot behavior that normal humans have to do otherwise you will never be able to actually place an order? Thus, very grey line.
The point I was trying to make was that while bots are not 100% grabbing everything they are adding to the issue making it more difficult than it normally would be. I think I got one just out of luck despite knowing when exactly they would drop.

I don't ever recall previous console launches being this difficult, I remember not having any issues with ps3 and ps4, then the ps4 pro too. But obviously covid and demand this year increased by a huge amount this past year, for nearly all electronics.

I knew the times previously before and just like you said, many times the sites would crash or the add to cart button was not working, or by the time you get to check out, it's sold out.

My luck was also probably due to the fact that it was a bundle. Even those sold out very fast but I think with bundles people tend to add to cart, get to check out and then they rethink their decision.

I didn't have to rethink, everything except one item I wanted to get or I would eventually buy separately.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

Each of those members runs the bot scrips though. That’s how they operate.

There was a post elsewhere I think on Reddit of a guy running a bot who processed 30 transactions for a ps5 at Walmart. That is making it more difficult for everyone else and that’s the point we are making.

I have 6 people logging into Walmart at exactly 9:00 and all 6 people myself included add to cart within 3 seconds and none of us get past the cart because the website basically crashes. If you don’t see a problem with that then there is no explaining how crappy the retailers are making this by not doing any bot prevention. Don’t act like because you and a few friends got what you want that it isn’t a real problem for everyone else.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Each of those members runs the bot scrips though. That’s how they operate.

There was a post elsewhere I think on Reddit of a guy running a bot who processed 30 transactions for a ps5 at Walmart. That is making it more difficult for everyone else and that’s the point we are making.

I have 6 people logging into Walmart at exactly 9:00 and all 6 people myself included add to cart within 3 seconds and none of us get past the cart because the website basically crashes. If you don’t see a problem with that then there is no explaining how crappy the retailers are making this by not doing any bot prevention. Don’t act like because you and a few friends got what you want that it isn’t a real problem for everyone else.
You should have stuck around then. Because Walmart refreshed their inventory 2 more times after 9pm. I had 6 people doing it as well. 2 of us got consoles. 1 got PS5, I got an XSX.

Again, it takes a bit of work to get one. I was on the website refreshing and clicking add to cart for nearly an hour in order to get my XSX.

But going there at 9pm, not getting one, then complaining about bots being the reason, is exactly what I am talking about that pretty much EVERYONE is doing if they don't get one.

EDIT:

And just to be clear, I do understand and know bots are out there and are making it more difficult for people to get consoles. I'm just saying that if you really want one, you have a good chance of getting one as long as you put the work in.

But even without bots, like 90% (totally making this number up but guesstimating) of the people who aren't getting new consoles right now, still wouldn't be getting new consoles.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2009
There are easy mechanisms that can be put into place to prevent this kind of buying activity that winds up hurting the honest consumer. But those companies don't care where the product goes, as long as it goes and does so fast.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
There are easy mechanisms that can be put into place to prevent this kind of buying activity that winds up hurting the honest consumer. But those companies don't care where the product goes, as long as it goes and does so fast.
Best Buy did something that worked for at least one of their inventory drops. They would email you a code during checkout and you would have to enter it to place order.

Nov 20, 2009
I remember the first time years back when checking out at MicroCenter in their retail store. The manufacturers of things like CPUs, graphic cards, memory, etc., altered their packaging to have serial numbers visible from outside the package and MC was scanning those serials on checkout to mate the item to the buyer. That alone is a perfect setup to limit one count of a given item per card/address/name when that needs to be enforced on an item.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Sold my ps4 pro with some games today for $250. I did upgrade the hard drive in it too. Posted this morning on Facebook and I immediately had tons of messages about it.

Listed it also on another app but people there were offering much lower.

Decided to list the Xbox one X too with 6 games and a controller for the same price. Not one bite, doesn't seem to be as popular. I also see several xbox one X systems on there too for the same price but no games.

Hoping to sell it too at some point. Then I'll just pickup a series X whenever.