Official Playstation 5 thread

Page 23 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I have to be totally honest, my PS5 initial experience has been so poor that it's left a really bad taste in my mouth. All the games I've been playing on them are buggy and crash, and the system itself has crashed numerous times or had other glitches that require a restart to fix. This thing was super rushed out the door and at the moment has been a pretty massive disappointment for me.

I am hoping once they work out the kinks (we're just beta testers at this point sadly) it will be really enjoyable.

Some nice things to say? The controller is finally great on PS, historically I've hated them because they're too small for my hands, but they finally extended the handle part to a reasonable length and girth (l o l) that it's super comfortable for me now.

Overall if you've been grinding trying to get one of these, I'd honestly just wait until it's actually finished, which currently, it is absolutely not.

It appears they focused too much on the UI and not enough on actually getting the software working properly. Some updates surely will fix the problems though.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I let my impatience get the better of me, and I purchased Sackboy instead of waiting for Burger King to give me my copy... whenever. The biggest reason is that I was looking for a newer, co-op-capable game, and really... outside of Call of Duty, Sackboy is the only option that I can think of. We played it a bit last night, and so far, it's pretty good.

One thing is that I also purchased the PS4 version and took advantage of the free PS5 upgrade. I was curious about what would happen if you put a PS5 disc into a PS4 to see if there was the inverse of the PS4->PS5 scenario. Although, I read online that if you put a PS5 disc into a PS4, the PS4 will continuously attempt to read the disc while failing the whole time and getting stuck in an infinite loop until you force-eject the disc. So, there's definitely NO option for an inverse!! With this, I don't see why you'd ever buy the PS5 version if you also have a PS4; you're literally getting a worse deal.

It also gave me a chance to try out the PS5 upgrade setup, which is a little awkward. The same process on the Xbox Series X is pretty simple; in fact, the console will just do it for you automatically. On the PS5, I had to click on something (I forget what it was) to bring up the Sackboy PS5 page on the store. The store page had two purchase options: "free" with a disc beside it and $59.99. The first one was the PS5 upgrade and the second one is the ability to just purchase the digital edition. Obviously, I chose the free one, which initiated a free purchase of the PS5 digital edition that requires the PS4 disc to play. After an awkward 21GB 1.1 patch for the PS4 version (it took a while to copy), the PS5 version downloaded and installed. For me, the PS5 version was the default selection, but I don't know if that's due to having downloaded/installed it last.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
^^^

God that just sounds like a total cluster. This has to be the most convoluted gen of all time.

So does the "free PS5 upgrade" turn it into the same PS5 version you would have purchased if it was the PS5 physical disc? Or does it give you a "PS5 enhanced" version that just upscales the PS4 version of the game?

Also people have reported putting PS5 discs in PS4 and them getting stuck. So you may not want to do that again lol.

simas

Oct 16, 2005
Also people have reported putting PS5 discs in PS4 and them getting stuck. So you may not want to do that again lol.

... people stupidity stopped surprising me some time ago... why would anyone 'try' this?
I am sure they would also blame 'manufacturer's defect' out of this

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
^^^

God that just sounds like a total cluster. This has to be the most convoluted gen of all time.

So does the "free PS5 upgrade" turn it into the same PS5 version you would have purchased if it was the PS5 physical disc? Or does it give you a "PS5 enhanced" version that just upscales the PS4 version of the game?

Yea sounds like a mess. I think this is something they need to flesh out. Right now they have an option to select ps4 or ps5 games in the menu of the store or games list. I'm hearing reports of people getting call of duty for ps5 but the ps5 is launching the PS4 title instead.

Apparently you have to go in and filter it from ps4 to ps5 and then select the appropriate content. It really is a mess that needs to be cleaned up.

I guess the reason they have this is for people that have ps4 discs for backwards compatibility, in which case those titles may not have a ps5 upgrade option.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
It's been a real clusterflux for me. I finally got a good experience last night sitting down to actually dig into Spider Man Miles Morales. Really smooth and beautiful, really what I was hoping for in this system... until discovering the dialogue track was broken. The new audio stuff on the PS5 seems to be smart-sensing what your receiver supports and it was trying to route audio to a center channel for voice that I do not have (I just have a true stereo setup). You can "fix" it by going to Mono in the game settings, but there are apparently some tunable options in the PS5 system audio menu to address it which don't force you to use mono for audio in-game. Funny how no other game I tried has this problem, but apparently this is also a thing that's happening to a ton of people: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ps5-sound-issues-no-dialogue-during-cutscenes.325367/

Can't win with a good out of box experience on this thing, it's just the complete inconsistency and poor user experience that kill this for me. I am disappointed but not surprised. This thing was rushed out at an impossible deadline during the worst pandemic in our lifetimes when everyone is working from home. I sympathize a lot with these poor dev teams, but honestly this system and the games are extremely half-baked and it's also absurd to charge $500USD to get people to beta test your broken mess for you. Delay it until it's ready, no one wants this experience just to say you got this console faster than it was necessary to release.

simas

Oct 16, 2005
Yea sounds like a mess. I think this is something they need to flesh out. Right now they have an option to select ps4 or ps5 games in the menu of the store or games list. I'm hearing reports of people getting call of duty for ps5 but the ps5 is launching the PS4 title instead.

Apparently you have to go in and filter it from ps4 to ps5 and then select the appropriate content. It really is a mess that needs to be cleaned up.

I guess the reason they have this is for people that have ps4 discs for backwards compatibility, in which case those titles may not have a ps5 upgrade option.

what surprises me is the overall expectations - why would a development completed PS4 game suddenly become 'upgraded' for PS5 unless someone , somewhere , is actually paying to developers (testers, etc) to make it happen?
- yes, PS5 with better hardware would run it faster
- no, it will not magickly upgrade itself until someone makes it a priority (budgets for it, pays for it), and someone else works on it. Even if Sony picks up a tab (for whatever reason), it would take time for that to happen..

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
what surprises me is the overall expectations - why would a development completed PS4 game suddenly become 'upgraded' for PS5 unless someone , somewhere , is actually paying to developers (testers, etc) to make it happen?
- yes, PS5 with better hardware would run it faster
- no, it will not magickly upgrade itself until someone makes it a priority (budgets for it, pays for it), and someone else works on it. Even if Sony picks up a tab (for whatever reason), it would take time for that to happen..
The selection for ps4 or ps5 option only lists games that have the upgrades. I don't think this is a standard procedure. It's just confusing because people buy a ps5 disc and the system is in the background downloading and launching the PS4 version of this title unless you go and check, force it to only install the ps5 edition.

I don't know if this is limited only to the call of duty cold war game, but that's where all the reports come from. I wonder if it happens to other titles too.

I also agree that the expectation should not be that every title gets an upgrade. Most likely if the ps5 sees a ps4 disc it probably defaults to ps4 title. They just need to do the same thing if that title also has a ps5 disc..inserted ps5 disc, default to ps5 version of updates, etc.

Last edited:

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

simas

Oct 16, 2005
I also agree that the expectation should not be that every title gets an upgrade. Most likely if the ps5 sees a ps4 disc it probably defaults to ps4 title. They just need to do the same thing if that title also has a ps5 disc..inserted ps5 disc, default to ps5 version of updates, etc.

for the bolded part, i don't think it is very easy to implement because people would then immediately complain of why they are seeing 100GB downloads
- PS4 disk was I think 50GB
-now there is a PS5 version of the game with potentially completely different code on 100GB disk plus its own updates

how is PS5 console suppose to 'select' the PS5 version of the game just because you inserted a smaller PS4 disk with completely different code optimized and written for different CPU and GPU architectures? The only thing the system could then do is to validate that you have license and put a 100GB download of the different code in the background. People would be back to complaining on reddit (and all other media) within seconds "this is not how upgrade was supposed to work blah-blah-blah".

the second problem with such downloads is then - how does the system track that you actually still own the license to the product? i.e. where I live, my local public library has a shelf of PS4 and XBOX One games you can check out (same as books) and play. Just because I inserted PS4 disk I taken from the library, what is the system supposed to do in terms of my entitlements? Only allow me to download and play PS5 version of the game while I have said disk in the console? again, people would complain :). if not, I have returned the disk back now - why should I be allowed to play downloaded PS5 version of the game?

Last edited:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
for the bolded part, i don't think it is very easy to implement because people would then immediately complain of why they are seeing 100GB downloads
- PS4 disk was I think 50GB
-now there is a PS5 version of the game with potentially completely different code on 100GB disk plus its own updates

how is PS5 console suppose to 'select' the PS5 version of the game just because you inserted a smaller PS4 disk with completely different code optimized and written for different CPU and GPU architectures? The only thing the system could then do is to validate that you have license and put a 100GB download of the different code in the background. People would be back to complaining on reddit (and all other media) within seconds "this is not how upgrade was supposed to work blah-blah-blah".
If you insert a ps4 disc and it has an upgrade it should ask you what you want to do. If you insert a ps4 disc and it doesn't have an upgraded version, it should continue with the only available ps4 version of that title.

Any ps5 physical disc that you insert should default to the ps5 edition of that title.

Obviously easier said then done but if the Series X can do it, is that because it has different architecture? I don't think so. Similar to how you insert a game and before it starts installing it alerts you there is an update, and ask if you want to download the update as well or continue installing without the update.

simas

Oct 16, 2005
If you insert a ps4 disc and it has an upgrade it should ask you what you want to do. If you insert a ps4 disc and it doesn't have an upgraded version, it should continue with the only available ps4 version of that title.

Any ps5 physical disc that you insert should default to the ps5 edition of that title.

Obviously easier said then done but if the Series X can do it, is that because it has different architecture? I don't think so. Similar to how you insert a game and before it starts installing it alerts you there is an update, and ask if you want to download the update as well or continue installing without the update.

I agree with this, as well as saying that it should obviously notify you on the side of the 'update' (completely new game download essentially). Still not sure how the system would deal with rentals (where I dont own PS4 disk), do we really want to tie PS5 version to having disk in console (which people would again, you guessed it, complain about).

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
@simas you seem to be under the impression that if you own a PS4 disc game and upgrade to the PS5 version, that you can now play the PS5 version without the PS4 disc in the drive. That is not the case.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I agree with this, as well as saying that it should obviously notify you on the side of the 'update' (completely new game download essentially). Still not sure how the system would deal with rentals (where I dont own PS4 disk), do we really want to tie PS5 version to having disk in console (which people would again, you guessed it, complain about).
Well right now the way it works is if your ps4 game has an upgrade option, it requires the ps4 disc in the system to validate ownership in order for you to get the ps5 upgrade edition. Then you always need the disc in the system when you're playing.

They should offer people a discount on the upgrade to say a digital version if perhaps they don't want to have the ps4 disc around.

Bubblehappy

Aug 14, 2010

The PS5 sold 118k units in Japan in the first four days. That's slightly more than the Switch sold the entire week (116k).

Considering the Switch was released 3-1/2 years ago, I don't see how this is news. That's pretty strong sales for a console that old. Besides, I'm guessing Sony only produced 118K units to be released in Japan during those days.

simas

Oct 16, 2005
@simas you seem to be under the impression that if you own a PS4 disc game and upgrade to the PS5 version, that you can now play the PS5 version without the PS4 disc in the drive. That is not the case.

Thank you. I am probably going to be getting both consoles when they would become available (whichever first ) and interested in both ecosystems
PS5 for games that dont exist elsewhere
XB for gamepass and primarily for kids so they could do minecraft and other items they are interested in
PC for myself as I like games that are just not translatable to console (total war series)

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

From my understanding, the only difference between the PS5 digital version and the PS5 upgrade digital version is that the latter has a disc check that looks for the PS4 disc. Apart from that, it's the same as the PS5 game.

Oh, no... I didn't try it. I looked it up because I was curious if the reverse was possible. I believe the PS5 can support larger capacity discs, but it's not like all games will use them. I was trying to find out if there was any reason to buy a PS5 version over a PS4 version that includes a free PS5 upgrade. The latter gives me far more flexibility as I can take my disc and go play it on my PS4 Pro as well. The only thing that I'm not sure about is whether saves work across what are technically different games.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure there is no issue if I waned to put Assassin's Creed Valhalla or Yakuza: Like a Dragon in my Xbox One X or Xbox Series X. Microsoft's Smart Delivery treats the Series X upgrade as more of a DLC, which means the base game is still the same.

There's a round "..." button by the game title. You have to click on that, and go to Game Version in the pop-up menu to switch between PS4 and PS5. Although, as I mentioned, Sackboy had PS5 selected by default, but I wonder if that's due to the install order. I copied the PS4 version and updated it before I realized that I had to specifically acquire the PS5 version. So, it downloaded and installed last.

... people stupidity stopped surprising me some time ago... why would anyone 'try' this?

I am sure they would also blame 'manufacturer's defect' out of this

I was tempted to try it, but given that I didn't trust it... I decided to look it up first. Theoretically, as long as the game disc isn't a higher capacity disc, there's no reason the PS4 couldn't read it. I'm guessing that even if the PS4 can physically read the disc, the PS5 likely has a different disc format/structure, and the PS4 doesn't understand it.

Oh, and frankly, I would argue that it's a bug that the PS4 would continuously attempt to read an unreadable disc. It's a really bad UX decision.

I don't know if this is limited only to the call of duty cold war game, but that's where all the reports come from. I wonder if it happens to other titles too.

When I was in Target picking up Sackboy, I was looking at some of the third-party titles to look for upgrade notices and prices. The Call of Duty packaging for Xbox is rather confusing. There are two completely separate packages, one for Xbox One, and one for Xbox Series S/X. It's a bit confusing, because the Xbox One's packaging looks no different than on a game like Yakuza, but to get the Series S/X version, you have to buy the other one (that's $10 more). The difference on the box is that it lists the two console generations in a different order, and I believe the Series S/X one notes that it comes with both versions.

On the flip side, the PS4 version just lists that it has a PS5 upgrade and is the lower, $60 price. PlayStation Perks!

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
This is another topic that they need to figure out. How long will they do both versions of each game?

If the ps5 Verizon is $70 and the ps4 version is $60, obviously you're going to pick the cheaper route assuming this game has an upgrade.

If there is no upgrade and the same game is $70 on ps5, well then you really have to decide and see what they changed on the ps5 model to make it worth that extra $10.

Then again I hear that not all upgrades will be free. For example you can get spiderman remastered on ps5 from a ps4 miles morales disc, but you need to pay for it. If you buy the $70 miles morales ps5 versio you get it for free.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
This is another topic that they need to figure out. How long will they do both versions of each game?

If the ps5 Verizon is $70 and the ps4 version is $60, obviously you're going to pick the cheaper route assuming this game has an upgrade.

If there is no upgrade and the same game is $70 on ps5, well then you really have to decide and see what they changed on the ps5 model to make it worth that extra $10.

Then again I hear that not all upgrades will be free. For example you can get spiderman remastered on ps5 from a ps4 miles morales disc, but you need to pay for it. If you buy the $70 miles morales ps5 versio you get it for free.
I don't think all upgrades from PS4 -> PS5 are free. That is why you specifically hear about some being free because it's not the default.

Reactions: cmdrdredd

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Just received a notification that my GameStop bundle shipped and should be here Monday. We will see though since fedex hasn't always been prompt for me unless it was the express option.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

Right now, the entire system -- on both consoles -- is purely opt-in on the publisher's side. I don't know if either platform has rules on pricing.

At least from what I've seen, the only game that this applies to at the moment is the new Call of Duty. Assassin's Creed, Miles Morales, Sackboy, etc. are all the same price in regard to the same version on the PS4 and PS5. Although, I think the Call of Duty upgrade marking is actually just a sticker, which makes me wonder if it was a last minute change. It looked weird to me when I saw it in the store, and looking at Target's website, the PS5 upgrade marking isn't visible on the website's image of the packaging like it is for games such as Assassin's Creed or Miles Morales.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's part of the whole PlayStation Perks that are a heavy aspect of Call of Duty. Essentially, Sony has a lock on a bunch of features and one game mode for an entire year (i.e. until the next Call of Duty releases). So, I wouldn't be surprised if they pushed for the lower price as a way to segment themselves from the Xbox version, which costs $10 more.

Really? If I knew you just had to pay the $20 increase, which is no different than the $20 jump from the Launch Edition to the Ultimate Launch Edition, I would've just bought the PS4 version.

EDIT:

Just received a notification that my GameStop bundle shipped and should be here Monday. We will see though since fedex hasn't always been prompt for me unless it was the express option.

I ordered my DualSense charger through GameStop (was surprised they had any), and I received it fairly quickly. I think it shipped on a Thursday or Friday and I had it on Monday, and that was with standard shipping via FedEx.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Okay I am SUPER impressed with the controller and the haptic triggers. Holy crap it's amazing how different they can feel playing Astrobot. Now I "get" what the devs were talking about with Ratchet and Clank how with one gun you pull half way and get one ammo, pull the full way and you get another. I can see that working perfectly with a machine gun that has a grenade launcher on it. It's one of those things though that is hard to explain and you just gotta try it.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
When I was in Target picking up Sackboy, I was looking at some of the third-party titles to look for upgrade notices and prices. The Call of Duty packaging for Xbox is rather confusing. There are two completely separate packages, one for Xbox One, and one for Xbox Series S/X. It's a bit confusing, because the Xbox One's packaging looks no different than on a game like Yakuza, but to get the Series S/X version, you have to buy the other one (that's $10 more). The difference on the box is that it lists the two console generations in a different order, and I believe the Series S/X one notes that it comes with both versions.

On the flip side, the PS4 version just lists that it has a PS5 upgrade and is the lower, $60 price. PlayStation Perks!

This is activision being activision trying to force people into buying a more expensive game.

The Xbox one game works on series x but you have to buy the more expensive series x game to get the series x enhancements. Instead of just using smart delivery. Activision is just a terrible company. This is the only game that does not use smart delivery.

Last edited: