Official Playstation 5 thread

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
So, these are the factors that come to mind for me...
  1. Even though both PS4 and PS5 have the data rebuild, this only happens on the PS5.
  2. Data rebuild normally happens if the system doesn't shutdown correctly.
    1. Is it some sort of dirty bit style setup?
  3. The only reports that I have seen are with two specific games: Spider-Man Remastered and Spider-Man Miles Morales
    1. The PS4 Spider-Man, which does not have a PS5 patch, does not seem to be causing a problem.
    2. Miles Morales for the PS4 does have a PS5 patch.
With those, I'm wondering if it could have something to do with file access/locking that isn't properly relinquished when going into Rest Mode. The big sticking point for me is that it isn't every game/application that seems to be causing the problem, and it's also not even the PS4 version of the game. It could be more of a bug between the PS5's Rest Mode and/or file system implementation and Spider-Man's PS5-enhanced engine.

Wild speculation, but probably some race conditions in the controller when entering a sleep state in a specific way that is not flushing data to the SSD properly. Should be pretty easy to fix once it is identified, either controller firmware update or driver update. Identify the cause is the hard part, so hopefully they are able to gather enough data to pinpoint it.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Wild speculation, but probably some race conditions in the controller when entering a sleep state in a specific way that is not flushing data to the SSD properly. Should be pretty easy to fix once it is identified, either controller firmware update or driver update. Identify the cause is the hard part, so hopefully they are able to gather enough data to pinpoint it.

Yeah, at best, all we can do is guess. The issue seeming to only be caused by a single game is what has me curious and wondering why it only affects Spider-Man and not other PS5-specific games like Demon's Souls.

Bubblehappy

Aug 14, 2010
I don't think so. I easily got a ps3, ps4 and a ps4 pro when they came out the day off. Put my order in for preorder without any issues for the previous systems.

Preordering is one thing. Even that was hard enough this time around.

I guess you missed the days of people camping for days that didn't preorder? Back in the PS2 days, you couldn't even preorder, you were forced to camp if you wanted one at launch, and they were in just the same short supply then as they are now. It's all marketing. Creating hype.

There's no title driving me to want one right now, I'll just want until a title comes out that I want (please please please let it be another Uncharted soon).

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Preordering is one thing. Even that was hard enough this time around.

It makes me wonder if online ordering needs to have some changes made to better facilitate the user experience. The problem is that a lot of sites just have a mostly decoupled cart-inventory system, which means adding an item to your cart has no tie to actual inventory apart from having it in your cart means it isn't sold out. This is quite different from a physical store where you typically have the item or some physical representation of it (a ticket). I have seen some sites that have carts with timers, but those are largely stores selling digital products.

However, the one problem that comes to mind would be stock squatting; adding items to your cart to hold onto them. How can you stop this sort of thing? To some degree, I think Sony had an interesting idea if it was a bit flawed. Sony required you to express interest in the console, and they would choose people that would receive a pre-order chance. This sort of system can help you weed out fresh bot accounts, but you can also leave out legitimate users. For example, I requested a pre-order from Sony and never heard anything even though my PSN account is quite old and I've had numerous consoles on my account.

There's no title driving me to want one right now, I'll just want until a title comes out that I want (please please please let it be another Uncharted soon).

Sounds like the words of someone who hasn't played ASTRO's Playroom. :p

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
It makes me wonder if online ordering needs to have some changes made to better facilitate the user experience. The problem is that a lot of sites just have a mostly decoupled cart-inventory system, which means adding an item to your cart has no tie to actual inventory apart from having it in your cart means it isn't sold out. This is quite different from a physical store where you typically have the item or some physical representation of it (a ticket). I have seen some sites that have carts with timers, but those are largely stores selling digital products.

However, the one problem that comes to mind would be stock squatting; adding items to your cart to hold onto them. How can you stop this sort of thing? To some degree, I think Sony had an interesting idea if it was a bit flawed. Sony required you to express interest in the console, and they would choose people that would receive a pre-order chance. This sort of system can help you weed out fresh bot accounts, but you can also leave out legitimate users. For example, I requested a pre-order from Sony and never heard anything even though my PSN account is quite old and I've had numerous consoles on my account.

Sounds like the words of someone who hasn't played ASTRO's Playroom. :p
There really isn't anything right now to couple actual retailer inventory to the shopping cart.

Sony did implement an interesting system earlier but also a bit flawed. Today it got fixed I noticed. They initially had a queue system. But the queue only helped regulate traffic.

The way it was supposed to work was that you go to direct.playstation.com and it would put you in the queue after you solve a captcha. You are supposed to wait in the queue and then you get access to the store to buy either a digital or a disc ps5.

But even the queue didn't foolproof anything because depending when you hit the site, you may have waited 1hr to access the store page and find out the system was sold out!

Why? Simple..the direct Sony site would load the whole store page in the background instead of directly redirect to the queue website. Simply pressing Esc the minute you saw the store page redirect, you were left in session of the store page.

What people ended up doing this past weekend was watching twitter where Wario64 would tweet about stock somehow and then they would use the Escape trick to drop into the store page, add the system to cart and checkout. You had to be really quick with it too.

I exploited it myself but I was too slow to have my details filled out on the checkout page. All of reddit was talking about it in a live chat so several people were doing this and were able to snag a console. Apparently you can't set up a shipping address or card before hand unless you bought something from the direct site before.

Today Sony fixed that exploit and now if you go to the direct.playstation.com you get immediately redirected to the queue if they actually have some stock coming. Before, people that had no idea you had to do the Esc trick would be waiting in queue for like 3 hrs wondering what the hell happened.

The only system that I actually like is EVGA's program. You sign up with your email, when an item comes in stock like a 3080 or 3090 you get an email with a personalized ink that lasts 8 hours. Only you can use the link and you have 8hrs to complete your transaction.

No clue why Sony didn't do something like this. Initially they did with the random invites. But this is something they should have done once they opened the direct store to everyone not just invited members because right now everyone can access it.

Last edited:
Reactions: cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Retailers need to do a -1 when an item is added to the cart. Give them 10 minutes to checkout and then kick them out. I would say 5 minutes but when I was trying to get one the cart wouldn’t load properly for 5 min and continue. By the time it did, sold out and I added it to cart literally 1 second after it went live every time lol

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Retailers need to do a -1 when an item is added to the cart. Give them 10 minutes to checkout and then kick them out. I would say 5 minutes but when I was trying to get one the cart wouldn’t load properly for 5 min and continue. By the time it did, sold out and I added it to cart literally 1 second after it went live every time lol
The reason the site wouldn't load anything the minute the clock hit 12, 3, 6, and 9pm was because of the bot scripts that were running asynchronously, clogging up the process. You can only add 1 item to cart but the bot can checkout much faster than any human so they were running extremely fast.

You can check some of these twitter accounts of companies that sell the bots. They post pics of the initial 100 or so preorder units their customers got.

Not sure how much one of those bots cost. But I read it could be like $80/month. I considered buying a subscription just to get myself a hot ticket item. Although it's not worth it if you are only going to order 1 item.

Perhaps if the 3080ti ever release in January I could consider it to order 2 lol. I'd sell the second one here on the forums but at cost.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Sony did implement an interesting system earlier but also a bit flawed. Today it got fixed I noticed. They initially had a queue system. But the queue only helped regulate traffic.

I was referring to Sony's pre-order system. My thought is that you can't really get a truly fair system as someone will end up sidelined by attempts to squash bots. But the idea is that you use aspects of an account to help determine whether it is a legitimate, "main" account of someone looking to buy a product, or just a fresh account used to undermine any account-based purchase limits.

Why? Simple..the direct Sony site would load the whole store page in the background instead of directly redirect to the queue website. Simply pressing Esc the minute you saw the store page redirect, you were left in session of the store page.

I saw people mentioning this on NowInStock's comment section on launch day when I was waiting for a shot at Targets in-store inventory. I didn't know if it was actually legit or one of those "Press ALT-F4 to save your game" jokes that you'll see people make. I'd imagine that you could also run a script to block the redirect, which would likely be more effective than trying to time an ESC key press.

The only system that I actually like is EVGA's program. You sign up with your email, when an item comes in stock like a 3080 or 3090 you get an email with a personalized ink that lasts 8 hours. Only you can use the link and you have 8hrs to complete your transaction.

Is there any sort of priority in their system? Can't people just create multiple EVGA accounts and use them to get multiple cards? Going back to my prior remarks about Sony's pre-order system, I have an EVGA account, which has had many cards registered to it going back as far as an 8800GTX back in 2006. Should they prioritize someone like myself who has a long history and is likely not just a bot account? As noted, that would create an issue where a newer, legitimate user could end up left out in the cold.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
local vendor was trying to upcharge ppl nearly $1k for their very limited stock... those types of places need their retail licenses scrutinized or revoked.

I'm not in the market but I know how frustrating it is to add-to-card only to have it vanish after 2-3 minutes

Also, if anyone else was wondering:

short answer is a hard no.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Also, if anyone else was wondering:

short answer is a hard no.

this one is truly bizarre. I understand the reverse, but why not support it on the PS4? They could even stop manufacture of DS4 to sell only the more expensive PS5 controller. (Could they come up with a better name? DS is dual shock, what do you abbreviate dual sense as, DS5?)

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I saw people mentioning this on NowInStock's comment section on launch day when I was waiting for a shot at Targets in-store inventory. I didn't know if it was actually legit or one of those "Press ALT-F4 to save your game" jokes that you'll see people make. I'd imagine that you could also run a script to block the redirect, which would likely be more effective than trying to time an ESC key press.

Is there any sort of priority in their system? Can't people just create multiple EVGA accounts and use them to get multiple cards? Going back to my prior remarks about Sony's pre-order system, I have an EVGA account, which has had many cards registered to it going back as far as an 8800GTX back in 2006. Should they prioritize someone like myself who has a long history and is likely not just a bot account? As noted, that would create an issue where a newer, legitimate user could end up left out in the cold.

With the queue system you could download a chrome or Firefox extension to enter the queue website and have it blocked. But I think Sony is redirecting immediately on the server side so that doesn't work anymore. The queue countdown timer actually works now too.

Not sure about the EVGA priority on the personalized link system. I'm thinking of signing up myself as I've had at least one evga card in the past. Just in case we don't get a 3080Ti reveal in January and I have to go with a 3080. I'd rather go with AMD this time and just use my gsync monitor without buying a new one that supports freesync to keep things cheaper but im digressing now.

The point is at least with the evga system you are guaranteed a card/product if that is indeed what you are planning on getting in the future for sure. You may have to wait a bit but this way you don't have to waste hours perusing websites and forums for some speculation of "they may have stock today at this retailer; or at these times."

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I was referring to Sony's pre-order system. My thought is that you can't really get a truly fair system as someone will end up sidelined by attempts to squash bots. But the idea is that you use aspects of an account to help determine whether it is a legitimate, "main" account of someone looking to buy a product, or just a fresh account used to undermine any account-based purchase limits.

The process for evga is complicated to cheat. You have to use the same email as your evga account and emails are sent out in the queue order. So if you get one, chances of getting another any time soon is rare. I’ve been on their list for nearly a month and haven’t gotten an email yet. Not sure if I would bite now though. Want to wait for AMD card reviews.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Well you've got time... 6000 series cards aren't going to be back in stock for awhile. Nearly every vendor sold out instantly.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Concerning stocks, I asked to be put on a waiting list at my local EBGames the week before the release date. I was 4th on the list and got called the morning of novembre 12th, the release date. Got my PS5 after work the same day. At least around here, they received more then expected so they were able to sell to more than those that preordered.

Also, I never leave games running when I put the console in rest mode, never did. I don't really get why you would do that especially with how fast games load now.

Anyways, just hope my console is A-OK!

P.S.: Demon's Souls is a freaking master piece.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Walmart right now on the PS5 listing page says they will have them for sale online tomorrow at 3pm.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Well you've got time... 6000 series cards aren't going to be back in stock for awhile. Nearly every vendor sold out instantly.

Before I could even read a review

Oh well. Looks like the 3080 is the better performing card anyway for the future with ray tracing.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
I have to be totally honest, my PS5 initial experience has been so poor that it's left a really bad taste in my mouth. All the games I've been playing on them are buggy and crash, and the system itself has crashed numerous times or had other glitches that require a restart to fix. This thing was super rushed out the door and at the moment has been a pretty massive disappointment for me.

I am hoping once they work out the kinks (we're just beta testers at this point sadly) it will be really enjoyable.

Some nice things to say? The controller is finally great on PS, historically I've hated them because they're too small for my hands, but they finally extended the handle part to a reasonable length and girth (l o l) that it's super comfortable for me now.

Overall if you've been grinding trying to get one of these, I'd honestly just wait until it's actually finished, which currently, it is absolutely not.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I have to be totally honest, my PS5 initial experience has been so poor that it's left a really bad taste in my mouth. All the games I've been playing on them are buggy and crash, and the system itself has crashed numerous times or had other glitches that require a restart to fix. This thing was super rushed out the door and at the moment has been a pretty massive disappointment for me.

Based upon your Call of Duty thread, it makes me wonder... are your issues mostly related to games or the console itself? I haven't seen any issues with the console itself yet, but I haven't played any of the reportedly flaky games either. I've mostly played Bugsnax, ASTRO's Playroom, and Ghost of Tsushima.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Well I got one of the game stop bundles. Miles morales game, demon souls, two controllers, 1 year of playstation plus, and some headset. $849.

Looks like the headset is a kraken wired gaming headset for ps4. Will probably sell this one or give it to my brother. I'll pick up a pulse 3d headset later.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Well I got one of the game stop bundles. Miles morales game, demon souls, two controllers, 1 year of playstation plus, and some headset. $849.

Looks like the headset is a kraken wired gaming headset for ps4. Will probably sell this one or give it to my brother. I'll pick up a pulse 3d headset later.
You should try Walmart in 30 minutes and if you get one there, then return the Gamestop one.

Also a buddy pointed me to this earlier today. I modified the code to work for Xbox Series X and will be running this at 3pm for an XSX.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
You should try Walmart in 30 minutes and if you get one there, then return the Gamestop one.

Also a buddy pointed me to this earlier today. I modified the code to work for Xbox Series X and will be running this at 3pm for an XSX.

I think I'll keep the Gamestop bundle as I actually wanted two controllers and those games it came with. Just didn't care for the headset. Hopefully those that are still looking for one can get one off walmart.

Nice, I wish I had time to code a bot but I do enough coding at work where it's a completely different aspect that by the end of the day I don't want to sit in front of a pc anymore.

Reactions: purbeast0

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
Based upon your Call of Duty thread, it makes me wonder... are your issues mostly related to games or the console itself? I haven't seen any issues with the console itself yet, but I haven't played any of the reportedly flaky games either. I've mostly played Bugsnax, ASTRO's Playroom, and Ghost of Tsushima.

Spider-Man has some weird glitches (documented all over internet) but luckily has been smooth overall. ASTRO crashed on me once, but not nearly as bad as COD. I think most of my ire right now is COD, but it's not the only game that's caused issues. I also have had a few times where I turn the system on from the controller and then the controller doesn't connect after. Minor but, these are software glitches in my experience/opinion that will get worked out. I am certainly not alone in these problems since when I google them I get a lot of hits on them.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I picked up Demon Souls tonight from Best Buy. I've never played one of these Souls games before but I know they are hard af. This game better live up to the hype especially since it was $70!

My PS5 comes tomorrow so hopefully I get to try it out tomorrow.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I picked up Demon Souls tonight from Best Buy. I've never played one of these Souls games before but I know they are hard af. This game better live up to the hype especially since it was $70!

My PS5 comes tomorrow so hopefully I get to try it out tomorrow.
Few other titles come to mind. Bloodborne, Sekiro, Code vein, Remnant. I never was a fan of dark souls as I always felt like it was clunky on purpose. But these other titles I've learned to get good at. I never finish them and what I usually do is follow along with a walkthrough because in these titles ending up in the wrong place when you are under leveled is torture.

There's a certain pattern to each game that is unique and once you learn it, becomes sort of addicting to press on and you do get a sense of achievement when you finally beat that ridiculous boss that takes you out in two hits lol.