Official Playstation 5 thread

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Same here. Sony really screwed up this launch from the start, unfortunately. That Bloomberg article that said Sony had to cut production by half due to supply issues, seems totally believable now.

Walmart was a debacle today.

There is a rumor that Walmart doesn’t have them and you are fighting for back orders. The idea is that every other retailer sold all they had in a few minutes but Walmart has enough to do 4 separate releases and it’s not believable. Amazon didn’t even have any that I saw and that’s crazy to me.

Heard reports of problems at target. Someone bought one and the store didn’t have stock to process it. Then another report of the site saying sold out and the store only sold 1 but had received 5.

Based on the forums I visited it seems that more actual gamers managed to get their hands on a series x than a ps5. A lot of scalpers have ps5 on eBay though. So it seems that a disproportionate number of scalpers got ps5 vs people who actually wanted one for themselves. Just what it seems like, I have no data to back it up.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
so do people have this thing or what? why no pictures of gigantic boxes?
Yup it was launch day for all of 10-12 people that were able to get one from Walmart or target according to reddit.
There is a rumor that Walmart doesn’t have them and you are fighting for back orders. The idea is that every other retailer sold all they had in a few minutes but Walmart has enough to do 4 separate releases and it’s not believable. Amazon didn’t even have any that I saw and that’s crazy to me.

Heard reports of problems at target. Someone bought one and the store didn’t have stock to process it. Then another report of the site saying sold out and the store only sold 1 but had received 5.
Amazon had them at 6pm today. I joined the telegram now in stock channel. I added it to cart but amazon hung on the button click and soon while waiting for it to load to the checkout it took me to a "page doesn't exist".

Walmart let me add to cart but the checkout button when clicked did absolutely nothing.

Around 630 I saw Amazon had digital version to buy but not sure if that would have went through either.

Walmart is doing another round at 9pm est.

• Haha
Reactions: zinfamous

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Dude PS4 has some great exclusives on sale now or soon.

1. If you like Souls games at all, this is a really solid deal for Bloodborne Complete Edition for $15.04. It has been as low as $12.24 but is most of the time $35. This is my game of the century and one of the nine 10/10 games I have ever played (with others being Super Mario 1, Shinobi (arcade version), Zelda Link to the Past, Fallout 2, Half Life 1, Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne, Skyrim, NieR Automata). The DLC included in the Complete Edition has two of my three favorite bossfights from the entire Souls series.

2. If you like JRPG, Persona 5 Royal is a must. Probably my favorite turn based combat game to come out since Nocturne on PS2 back in like 04 (though Nocturne is also getting a PS4 remaster coming west next year; already out if you can read 日本語). Best Buy will have it for $20 in their Black Friday sale, or if you want the steelbook Gamestop will have it for $25. I wouldn't buy the original Persona 5 though, as Royal has some upgrades that made the game a lot less of a battle against the clock in addition to having some really cool new content.

3. God of War and The Last of Us (Part I) will be $10 at Best Buy when their BF sale starts. Those are both amazing.

Persona 5 Royal is one on my list! Do you think they will release a full on PS5 version ever? Sounds like a solid 100 hour game? Doesn’t work great with my life but somehow I got a couple hundred into Grim Dawn and some of my favorites in BL3 have too much time on them too. I must make time when it’s worth it.

NieR Automata is like top 3 for me and I don’t know that the other two are so our lists match at least that far.

I am hoping they will bundle/update Last of Us series for PS5.

Thanks for the heads up, right now I would only have Spider-Man...

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
hehe

but didn't @purbeast0 get like, 5 of them?
He was able to get a couple when walmart immediately released orders before the Sony presentation was over lol. That's what screwed a lot of people over. Actual preorders weren't supposed to start until the 17th.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I got 3 of em.

Walmart, Target, and Gamestop.

Walmart came today, Target and Gamestop come tomorrow.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Like a broken record, same thing again. Had 3 people trying on multiple devices and all 3 of us got the spinning loading circle and couldn’t get past adding to cart.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I tried to get one just now. Got to the final screen to place the order, had to do a captcha, and kept getting kicked back to payment.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Same thing again. I got all the way to the checkout page. Clicking check out did absolutely nothing. I had 5 tabs open. Neither of them would load anything.

My girlfriend was trying to get me one on her phone and she couldn't even get past the cart stage.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
I tried to get one just now. Got to the final screen to place the order, had to do a captcha, and kept getting kicked back to payment.

This. I'd hit complete order and have to click the "I'm not a robot" checkbox and it would kick back.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
hehe
but didn't @purbeast0 get like, 5 of them?

From Today - Look for his username

"I just got one on Walmart. Took forever and was buggy as hell, but hey it arrives on my birthday too!"

Don't believe everything someone tells you on the internet. EDIT, sorry, I meant to quote Zin and his funny comment.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
From Today - Look for his username

"I just got one on Walmart. Took forever and was buggy as hell, but hey it arrives on my birthday too!"

Don't believe everything someone tells you on the internet.
To be fair, I posted that I had 3 BEFORE the 9pm Walmart one went live.

Now I have 4.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
To be fair, I posted that I had 3 BEFORE the 9pm Walmart one went live.

Now I have 4.
sure-thing-buddy.jpg

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Persona 5 Royal is one on my list! Do you think they will release a full on PS5 version ever? Sounds like a solid 100 hour game? Doesn’t work great with my life but somehow I got a couple hundred into Grim Dawn and some of my favorites in BL3 have too much time on them too. I must make time when it’s worth it.

NieR Automata is like top 3 for me and I don’t know that the other two are so our lists match at least that far.

I am hoping they will bundle/update Last of Us series for PS5.

Thanks for the heads up, right now I would only have Spider-Man...

I think my first playthrough of Persona 5 Royal was around 160 hours. It's huge. God the soundtrack is killer to the game, I think it's comparable quality to NieR Automata's soundtrack. I would venture there is zero chance of a proper PS5 version of the game. The PS4 Pro version already does 4k30 and I'd be floored to see a 60 fps port since the game logic seems to be tied to the framerate, as when I have seen the PS3 version of Persona 5 run at 60 fps on RPCS3 the game looks like it's in fast motion. So I don't think there is any real FOMO with buying Persona 5 Royal on PS4. Just make sure to get Royal, the original has one really annoying flaw that's fixed in Royal (it's not too big a spoiler, I'll tell you if you want to know) and Royal has some added story content that is awesome.

Speaking of NieR Automata, if you don't know, the game before it, NieR Replicant, is getting a remaster released next year. Or maybe remake, I forget which. If you never played it I think the story is even better than Automata's, though Automata's combat is much better and Automata is the better overall game IMO. Also has an absolutely stellar soundtrack.

Reactions: blckgrffn

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
The transfer process is kind of odd. Not necessarily in a bad way, but whew... it can also make you really want to hook up an external drive or hope Sony enables the NVMe option soon. The photo that I posted is of my storage screen, and that huge 200GB+ is partly the data being transferred. Unfortunately, I don’t think there’s any progress indicator on either system?

It looks like both consoles give you interesting ways to set them up via the app. Oh, and it feels like the fact that the controller doesn’t come paired from the factory is about what you’d expect from Sony. :p

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    535.6 KB · Views: 11

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Speaking of NieR Automata, if you don't know, the game before it, NieR Replicant, is getting a remaster released next year. Or maybe remake, I forget which. If you never played it I think the story is even better than Automata's, though Automata's combat is much better and Automata is the better overall game IMO. Also has an absolutely stellar soundtrack.

I've heard good things about Nier Automata but haven't looked much into it. Perhaps it's a title I should consider one day. I never really understood Persona 5 but then again the only experience I've had is watching youtubers play it and it just seemed like a ton of dialogue too.

The transfer process is kind of odd. Not necessarily in a bad way, but whew... it can also make you really want to hook up an external drive or hope Sony enables the NVMe option soon. The photo that I posted is of my storage screen, and that huge 200GB+ is partly the data being transferred. Unfortunately, I don’t think there’s any progress indicator on either system?

It looks like both consoles give you interesting ways to set them up via the app. Oh, and it feels like the fact that the controller doesn’t come paired from the factory is about what you’d expect from Sony. :p

I seen reviewers say it asks you if you have a ps4 and if you want to transfer games and profiles over to the ps5. You can also speed it up by connecting both consoles via ethernet.

As long as I can transfer my save games, I would just install the games I'm currently playing. I did put a 2TB hybrid drive in my ps4 pro so I will have to be picky about what to transfer...but I won't have that to worry about for a while I bet.

If I remember properly, my xbox one X didn't come paired with the controller either.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
As long as I can transfer my save games, I would just install the games I'm currently playing. I did put a 2TB hybrid drive in my ps4 pro so I will have to be picky about what to transfer...but I won't have that to worry about for a while I bet.

Speaking of save games, I bought the Miles Morales ultimate edition so I’d get the remaster of Spider-Man (that’s the only way to get the PS5 upgrade), but now I’m reading that I have to wait for a patch to allow for you to export your save from the original game. That also means you cannot play between the consoles even though the game should be the same. (The new remastered suits will be available in the original.)

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
That trick of getting the pre-orders during the announcement was epic. I was about 20 minutes late to that party like I have been with a every purchase opportunity.

Great news update!

Kids were in bed and I finally told my wife about it was PS5 launch day and how so many people were pissed with scalpers. I chose this time to also bring up, with a big s-eating grin, that I had scored a PS5 from Costco.

“How much was that?!? Aren’t they really expensive?”

“Oh yeah, and it was even more because they made you buy this big bundle. Like $700!”

“Two game systems this year?!? There’s no way in hell you are getting any Christmas presents!”

Hahahahaha, that’s me winning for sure. She wasn’t even really irritated so far as I can tell, she loves getting in on a deal and remembers how hard we had to work at getting a Wii and even a launch Switch.

Envision that meme with the kid with clenched fist and the look of victory on his face. That’s me.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
You may want to consider letting the young ones try out Astro's Playroom on the PS5. It comes installed on every console, and it's actually a nice little platformer that's "fairly cute" and not super hard. Although, I found its insistence upon using motion controls to be the hardest part; it was really hard to try to not use the joystick when flying the rocket.

Reactions: blckgrffn

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Speaking of save games, I bought the Miles Morales ultimate edition so I’d get the remaster of Spider-Man (that’s the only way to get the PS5 upgrade), but now I’m reading that I have to wait for a patch to allow for you to export your save from the original game. That also means you cannot play between the consoles even though the game should be the same. (The new remastered suits will be available in the original.)
You bring up a good point. I wonder if the patch is for spider man remastered only or for all previous ps4 titles too? The remastered spiderman is technically a different game which would mean the save game of the previous title wouldn't work. I already finished spiderman on PS4 so I don't know if I would replay the whole thing on ps5.

I also hear the miles morales title is pretty short.

Bubblehappy

Aug 14, 2010
Playstations in short supply at launch and for 6 months afterward? Go figure...it's that way with every Sony Playstation launch.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
You bring up a good point. I wonder if the patch is for spider man remastered only or for all previous ps4 titles too? The remastered spiderman is technically a different game which would mean the save game of the previous title wouldn't work. I already finished spiderman on PS4 so I don't know if I would replay the whole thing on ps5.

I also hear the miles morales title is pretty short.

I haven’t gotten all that far into Spider-Man just yet, so that’s why I wanted to be able to swap between consoles as I’ll still have my PS4 Pro. But yeah... being separate games also comes with another issue... storage. Right now, Spider-Man is taking up around 115GB of my SSD between the two games. :p I could probably move the PS4 games to an alternate storage or something. I wonder if anyone has done loading tests like we’ve seen for Xbox?

Speaking of speed, I can say that PSN seemed to be doing fine yesterday. It didn’t take long to download Spider-Man Remastered. Unfortunately, they don’t tell you the speed, so you just have to sort of guess. It did seem a lot faster than Xbox though.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Playstations in short supply at launch and for 6 months afterward? Go figure...it's that way with every Sony Playstation launch.
I don't think so. I easily got a ps3, ps4 and a ps4 pro when they came out the day off. Put my order in for preorder without any issues for the previous systems.

There was no way as big of a demand though at that time. Using bots this year has become a common theme so people can take advantage of the pandemic and supply / demand. Also happened with the Nvidia launch and I'm sure it will happen with the AMD cards too.

Of course these scalpers eventually will have to pay their credit cards but if people don't buy from them they will be forced to sell it retail at some point. A buddy of mine is making offers to these scalpers and then telling them to meet up but he never shows up lol..I thought that was funny if he has the time for all that.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I haven’t gotten all that far into Spider-Man just yet, so that’s why I wanted to be able to swap between consoles as I’ll still have my PS4 Pro. But yeah... being separate games also comes with another issue... storage. Right now, Spider-Man is taking up around 115GB of my SSD between the two games. I could probably move the PS4 games to an alternate storage or something. I wonder if anyone has done loading tests like we’ve seen for Xbox?

Speaking of speed, I can say that PSN seemed to be doing fine yesterday. It didn’t take long to download Spider-Man Remastered. Unfortunately, they don’t tell you the speed, so you just have to sort of guess. It did seem a lot faster than Xbox though.
I know the original ps4 had a crap wireless card. I've heard the 5 has a much better one. Often times though I'll leave it in rest mode to download patches and updates. Loading times I heard were super fast. The only thing that the ps5 doesn't have is the quick resume where xbox series x uses a portion of hyper virtual memory from the ssd hard drive to save a game state which allows quick resume. Sadly I don't think the ps5 will get a similar feature since it's not using the same type of architecture.