OFFICIAL OBAMA INAUGURATION THREAD

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: ayabe
I believe this is the first time I can recall, especially in any kind of public address where a politician acknowledges the sizable minority of people in this country who don't believe in fairy tales.

Then your recollection sucks, or you're just ignorant of such previous moments.

Originally posted by: eskimospy
Yeah, THAT's sure a problem America has. Rampant anti-Christian bigotry.

Bigotry toward anyone, to any degree, is a problem.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Doc Savage Fan
Originally posted by: sandorski
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
This is the most important line in the speech for me:

"For we know that our patchwork heritage is a strength, not a weakness. We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus - and non-believers."

I believe this is the first time I can recall, especially in any kind of public address where a politician acknowledges the sizable minority of people in this country who don't believe in fairy tales.
Are you saying that our new President believes in fairy tales?

Well according to most Atheists most Christians do and Obama is a Christian.

He's good, but he ain't perfect.
And non-believers are? LOL. Hopefully his religious beliefs will tone down the anti-Christian bigotry for a little while.

I didn't say that was. We all have our faults.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

"For we know that our patchwork heritage is a strength, not a weakness. We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus - and non-believers."

And non-believers are? LOL. Hopefully his religious beliefs will tone down the anti-Christian bigotry for a little while.
It should as the Lunatic Fringe Evangelicals won't have any say in the way the government's run.
Does the same go for the Lunatic Fringe Liberals who want a say in the way the government's run? Free country to believe what you want to believe last time I checked. No?

The Lunatic Fringe is the Lunatic Fringe. Just because the Evangelical part is bigger, doesn't mean it's preferable.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: shinerburke
Originally posted by: umbrella39
Originally posted by: winnar111
And Obama's daughter has a huge forehead.

You have no class and are less mature than one of his children. Congrats on being totally bankrupt.

Just an observation.

Much like "Jenna Bush is a clumsy drunk."

Just because it is a fact doesn't make it insulting.

If not mistaken then were 19 or so when their Dad took the oath. I am not saying they aren't fair game, just pointing out that those who pick on little kids are less than the children they are picking on. Jenna made the same mistakes a lot of people do and learned from them. Nothing to be ashamed of imo.

Nov 30, 2006

I didn't say that was. We all have our faults.
Agree...I was just making a point.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
I think its likely that if Kennedy is in bad shape we won't hear about it until tomorrow. So no news is bad news

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: shinerburke
Originally posted by: Farang
Sounds like Byrd croaked

or maybe it was Kennedy.. Obama is more accurate in reporting than NBC News

Kennedy

And Byrd. Maybe Satan's collecting his marks. Dick Cheney should be nervous.

Nov 30, 2006
The Lunatic Fringe is the Lunatic Fringe. Just because the Evangelical part is bigger, doesn't mean it's preferable.
Agree...damn that's twice now. But many don't know the difference between Lunatic Fringe Evangelical and mainstream evangelical...especially in this forum.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: bamacre

Got some?

I'll give you 15 minutes to give me something from the last 20 years....good luck.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Agree...damn that's twice now. But many don't know the difference between Lunatic Fringe Evangelical and mainstream evangelical...especially in this forum.

Well, I think the problem there is that even the Mainstream Evangelicals appear rather Lunaticish to the general population. They certainly are more Radical.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004

Got some?

I'll give you 15 minutes to give me something from the last 20 years....good luck.

Oh, please let me go find something quick then. ;)

Just look outside the two major parties. I am 100% positive I heard both Paul and Baldwin address non-believers in speeches.

But really, you don't need to go that far. The US DoI, second sentence...

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Whatever you religious beliefs, or lack there of, the word "creator" suits all.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Question...

I know blacks usually vote somewhere around 90%+ democrat, and this go around they voted a bit higher. I am wondering what the actual volume numbers were in comparison to the previous couple elections. I am trying to find stats but can't find what I'm looking for

Chunkee

Lifer
Jul 28, 2002
all you you are bunch of rope a dopes...good lord.. bunch of sniveling nitwits peddling unflavored drivel.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005

Got some?

Oh, please let me go find something quick then. ;)

Just look outside the two major parties. I am 100% positive I heard both Paul and Baldwin address non-believers in speeches.

But really, you don't need to go that far. The US DoI, second sentence...

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Whatever you religious beliefs, or lack there of, the word "creator" suits all.

Hmm, well neither of those folks are major figures, I'm sure Kucinich has said something in the past as well.

I'm talking high level congress people and the POTUS. The fact is that non-believers in their various forms aren't included in the national dialogue most of the time, it's as if they don't exist.

We do, and I'm glad that our new President acknowledges this.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: Brainonska511
Originally posted by: CanOWorms
The invocation by the Saddleback church guy was DISGUSTING and a disgrace.

If you're not being sarcastic, why?

Because many believe that religion has no place in politics or government - why is that concept so hard to understand? The man praying does not speak for all Americans, his god is not the god of many people in this country. While I agree in sentiment over wanting the best for my country, and for our continued prosperity and strength through these troubling times, I find the invocation of the Christian God and Jesus Christ to be absolutely ridiculous.

I have no problem with people expressing their personal beliefs on religion, or even Obama vowing "So Help me God" with the oath, I would expect anyone of conviction to do so. But the presentation of Warren, or any other pastor/minister, feels like it crosses the line and is on the verge of government endorsement in my opinion.

I applaud Obama's acknowledgment the we are a nation of many viewpoints, religious and non believers.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Ryan

Because many believe that religion has no place in politics or government - why is that concept so hard to understand? The man praying does not speak for all Americans, his god is not the god of many people in this country. While I agree in sentiment over wanting the best for my country, and for our continued prosperity and strength through these troubling times, I find the invocation of the Christian God and Jesus Christ to be absolutely ridiculous.

I have no problem with people expressing their personal beliefs on religion, or even Obama vowing "So Help me God" with the oath, I would expect anyone of conviction to do so. But the presentation of Warren, or any other pastor/minister, feels like it crosses the line and is on the verge of government endorsement in my opinion.

I applaud Obama's acknowledgment the we are a nation of many viewpoints, religious and non believers.
Agreed.

And Obama's "religion" is mostly a product of political convenience. He's not a born-again whackjob like Bush, having conversations with God about Iraq, etc.

Nov 30, 2006

Well, I think the problem there is that even the Mainstream Evangelicals appear rather Lunaticish to the general population. They certainly are more Radical.
LOL..evangelicals are a very large portion of the general population and I'm sure they don't view themselves as "Lunaticish"...especially with President Obama being one. Atheists will just have to learn to cope somehow with all those mainstream "radicals" out there who happen to believe in such outlandish things such as God. Obama made a point at the end of his inauguration pledge by voluntarily saying "So help me God"...and this shouldn't be a problem with anybody that's a reasonably tolerant human being. I would say that those who have a problem with Obama's reference to God are the "radicals" and "Lunaticish" ones.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001

His specific references to Jesus, Christian scripture, etc. was out of place. Someone watching that overseas would think that we are a Christian country rather than a country with a secular government. That was too close to European-style infusion of religion into government.

I personally would rather have no religious officials performing a government-endorsed procedure there, but if they do have it, at least keep it more ceremonial and generic so that it applies to all. I am glad that Obama was much more open in his own speech.