OFFICIAL OBAMA INAUGURATION THREAD

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Originally posted by: Ryan
Originally posted by: Brainonska511
Originally posted by: CanOWorms
The invocation by the Saddleback church guy was DISGUSTING and a disgrace.

If you're not being sarcastic, why?

Because many believe that religion has no place in politics or government - why is that concept so hard to understand? The man praying does not speak for all Americans, his god is not the god of many people in this country. While I agree in sentiment over wanting the best for my country, and for our continued prosperity and strength through these troubling times, I find the invocation of the Christian God and Jesus Christ to be absolutely ridiculous.

I have no problem with people expressing their personal beliefs on religion, or even Obama vowing "So Help me God" with the oath, I would expect anyone of conviction to do so. But the presentation of Warren, or any other pastor/minister, feels like it crosses the line and is on the verge of government endorsement in my opinion.

I applaud Obama's acknowledgment the we are a nation of many viewpoints, religious and non believers.
Agreed.

And Obama's "religion" is mostly a product of political convenience. He's not a born-again whackjob like Bush, having conversations with God about Iraq, etc.

Uh, you fail. Obama acknowledges God and Christ. Try again!

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000

His specific references to Jesus, Christian scripture, etc. was out of place. Someone watching that overseas would think that we are a Christian country rather than a country with a secular government. That was too close to European-style infusion of religion into government.

I personally would rather have no religious officials performing a government-endorsed procedure there, but if they do have it, at least keep it more ceremonial and generic so that it applies to all. I am glad that Obama was much more open in his own speech.

Keep on railing against the European machine, CoW :laugh:

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by: jman19

His specific references to Jesus, Christian scripture, etc. was out of place. Someone watching that overseas would think that we are a Christian country rather than a country with a secular government. That was too close to European-style infusion of religion into government.

I personally would rather have no religious officials performing a government-endorsed procedure there, but if they do have it, at least keep it more ceremonial and generic so that it applies to all. I am glad that Obama was much more open in his own speech.

Your desire for a Europeanization of America will fail. I'm not sure if you've noticed, but our President is not from a full European background. Good luck with your plans. You're becoming a dinosaur.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: jman19

Your desire for a Europeanization of America will fail. I'm not sure if you've noticed, but our President is not from a full European background. Good luck with your plans. You're becoming a dinosaur.

Care to provide any proof that I desire the "Europeanization of America" and that this is my "plan," or are you just trolling as usual?

2canSAM

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Knight7
I'm gonna miss you George W. Bush, your stupidity made this 8 years worth it. good by and i hope you get into another position where we can all make fun of you for days and days. :( :( :( :( :(

Wouldn't that be BYE?

Darn, stupid GWB.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: theexitwound
Originally posted by: ayabe
This is the most important line in the speech for me:

"For we know that our patchwork heritage is a strength, not a weakness. We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus - and non-believers."

I believe this is the first time I can recall, especially in any kind of public address where a politician acknowledges the sizable minority of people in this country who don't believe in fairy tales.

I agree 100%. I was shocked when I heard it, and thrilled that it was in there.

I thought that part was great too. His decisions so far have been very inclusive. He's gone with the anti-gay right pastor, and the pro-gay rights pastor, he acknowledged all races and religions, and the lack of religion as well. It seems as though he's saying there is a place for everyone in his country :)

L00PY

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Farang
Originally posted by: DEMO24
Originally posted by: montanafan
Originally posted by: teiresias
Sounded to me like Roberts screwed up the wording and Obama was all like, "I don't think you mean to say what you just said" in his mind.
Yeah, Roberts obviously screwed it up and you could see the look on Obama's face, "Wait a minute, that wasn't right." Too bad that his hesitation and Roberts repeating it made it look like Obama was the one that had messed up.
yeah I just replayed that, Roberts changed his words. Still not sure if he got it right in the end as I think Obama said something different the 2nd time around than Roberts.
revenge for voting against his confirmation
FWIW, a Reuters blog account makes it seem like Roberts never got it right and Obama never said the oath as written in the Constitution. I definitely expect to hear news reports of a redo on a much smaller stage, if only to keep those silly lawsuits at bay. (Speaking of silly lawsuits, all three Obama citizenship cases that are on the SCOTUS dockets are scheduled to come up and will probably be tossed by the end of the week.)

[edit] I wish I thought of it first but there's a great line in the comments for that blog. "It?s emblematic of the problems from the 'Christian' right that Roberts put 'faithfully' in the wrong place ? they?re always trying to put 'faith' where it doesn?t belong." [/edit]

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: L00PY
Originally posted by: Farang
Originally posted by: DEMO24
Originally posted by: montanafan
Originally posted by: teiresias
Sounded to me like Roberts screwed up the wording and Obama was all like, "I don't think you mean to say what you just said" in his mind.
Yeah, Roberts obviously screwed it up and you could see the look on Obama's face, "Wait a minute, that wasn't right." Too bad that his hesitation and Roberts repeating it made it look like Obama was the one that had messed up.
yeah I just replayed that, Roberts changed his words. Still not sure if he got it right in the end as I think Obama said something different the 2nd time around than Roberts.
revenge for voting against his confirmation
FWIW, a Reuters blog account makes it seem like Roberts never got it right and Obama never said the oath as written in the Constitution. I definitely expect to hear news reports of a redo on a much smaller stage, if only to keep those silly lawsuits at bay. (Speaking of silly lawsuits, all three Obama citizenship cases that are on the SCOTUS dockets are scheduled to come up and will probably be tossed by the end of the week.)

[edit] I wish I thought of it first but there's a great line in the comments for that blog. "It?s emblematic of the problems from the 'Christian' right that Roberts put 'faithfully' in the wrong place ? they?re always trying to put 'faith' where it doesn?t belong." [/edit]

Might as well tack this on with the Birth Certificate movement.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
You'd think he had been practicing those lines.

BTW, the media WILL not be replaying his fvck up.

Bet you feel a bit silly right now as it's all over every major news site and has been repeated on a whole bunch of major news shows. Then again, that's how the 'librul media' myth works, isn't it? Just make the claim every time, and whenever you turn out to be wrong, just pretend it didn't happen.

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
I gotta be honest I voted for Obama and was a huge supporter but I had no interest in listening to his inauguration day speech. I already knew what he was going to say.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
You'd think he had been practicing those lines.

BTW, the media WILL not be replaying his fvck up.

Bet you feel a bit silly right now as it's all over every major news site and has been repeated on a whole bunch of major news shows. Then again, that's how the 'librul media' myth works, isn't it? Just make the claim every time, and whenever you turn out to be wrong, just pretend it didn't happen.

GT's new thing is embarassing himself as an outright hater of all things Obama - he looks just as dumb as the people frothing at the mouth about everything Bush did, too. In other words, he's a hack.