Official Hurricane Florence Thread

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
That is fricken cool. thanks for sharing
Yea, no problem, I thought I stumbled across a pro weather tool but anyone can use it. Storm has now decreased to 5 MPH forward speed, a large portion of it will still be over water into late tomorrow, negligible effect on wind speed but those feeder bands will be able to Regenerate every time they cross into the ocean.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
I guess we'll need to wait till dawn's early light to see if the flag is still there

Nonsense, even in 1814 we could check on a flag's condition at night through the red glare from rockets. We have rockets, someone tell Trump we need to check on the flag.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
From what I’ve seen on the news, Florence isn’t nearly as bad as was predicted. I’m sure there is/will be a lot of damage, from both wind and flooding, but not the “end of the world as we know it” like the weather folks were expecting.

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
From what I’ve seen on the news, Florence isn’t nearly as bad as was predicted. I’m sure there is/will be a lot of damage, from both wind and flooding, but not the “end of the world as we know it” like the weather folks were expecting.

They always over-hype it....but at the same time I wouldn't want to live in the path of any Hurricane.

BTW: New Bern looks to be taking the full brunt of the storm. Some people were riding it out and their house began to flood. So they luckily drove away but are stuck in the middle of it now.

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004
41682183_10216599999423620_2567122134870523904_n.jpg

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Overhyping is always preferable to underhyping when it comes to emergency situations.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

It's not over yet. Rainfall models for the next few days say it could drop 2/3rds of the rain in NC that Harvey did over Texas.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Overhyping is always preferable to underhyping when it comes to emergency situations.

Absolutely. I've evacuated hurricanes when I've lived in Florida that really didn't do much, but I'd rather have it be safe & pointless than ignore it & put my family in a potentially risky situation.

I've also learned to just bug out of town a couple days ahead. I did the mandatory evacuation thing exactly once at the last minute, then the sheriff went around knocking on doors & telling everyone to evacuate, and ended up getting stuck in traffic for what seemed like an eternity. Never again! Everyone else tends to wait until the last minute too, haha.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
"The stuff you own ends up owning you"

That saying is so relevant in situations like this. I've seen quite a few interviews with people who could leave but decided to stay in their homes. They're afraid to leave their stuff. Their stuff is their life.

Stuff can be replaced.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
After seeing the damage that Irma did to the keys first hand, I'd never take a hurricane warning with a grain of salt anymore. I left the Keys last year the day that the mandatory evacuation was ordered just since that is when my flight was going out, and then I was there this past July and the beach we like to hang out is completely changed. They still don't have some of the buildings built back up, playgrounds, etc. There is still a bunch of places you drive by and just see the damage still.

If the flight paths today from flightaware are a sign of how they will fly tomorrow, it looks like my BWI to FLL flight is most likely going to be on. I'm still crossing my fingers though.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SWA1914/history/20180914/1205Z/KBWI/KFLL

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Storm caused me to look at twitter for the first time. A relative in the affected area evac'd to our place and I thought twitter would be a good way to get sitreps beyond streaming the WECT Wilmington TV station news.

Quite an eye-opener. I wasn't expecting so much spam in the twitter feed for the storm, stuff like "Hey, my power is still on and I'm still streaming on twitch! <link>". And off-the-wall rants on unrelated subjects with the #Florence tag added to the end of a bunch of tags. Oh well, spam will find a way.

What's with the twitter posts that are a giant picture with a short question overlaid on it? Is that just a way to have a larger font?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
"The stuff you own ends up owning you"

That saying is so relevant in situations like this. I've seen quite a few interviews with people who could leave but decided to stay in their homes. They're afraid to leave their stuff. Their stuff is their life.

Stuff can be replaced.

Worse is that there isn't much you can do to save it during the storm and/or flood. Granted you can mitigate the damage after the storm like tarping up your roof if you lost some of it but absurdly few of those people have the materials on hand to do anything like that and you damn sure can't buy it the day after.

And as I said earlier, as far as looters go they are going to hit stores with a LOT of stuff and if they do start hitting houses unless you have one of the nicest houses in the area they ain't hitting yours. If you do have one of the nicest houses in the area you can easily afford to cover your deductible and even upgrade the shit you replace. Notice how the ones with the most shit/most expensive shit to lose always evacuate.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
After seeing the damage that Irma did to the keys first hand, I'd never take a hurricane warning with a grain of salt anymore. I left the Keys last year the day that the mandatory evacuation was ordered just since that is when my flight was going out, and then I was there this past July and the beach we like to hang out is completely changed. They still don't have some of the buildings built back up, playgrounds, etc. There is still a bunch of places you drive by and just see the damage still.

If the flight paths today from flightaware are a sign of how they will fly tomorrow, it looks like my BWI to FLL flight is most likely going to be on. I'm still crossing my fingers though.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SWA1914/history/20180914/1205Z/KBWI/KFLL

Unfortunately, the on the fence tards are going to use this as a reason not to evacuate the next time instead of just being happy that it didn't fuck their shit up. Good luck with your flight bud!

zzuupp

Lifer
Jul 6, 2008
Virginia is now saying "phew, sorry Carolina" .
The evacuation order has been lifted. Even OBX will start letting residents back tomorrow.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Update here in Apex, NC ... Moderate rain right now with a moderate wind. AC power is working fine. Winds are predicted for about 20 MPH winds through Saturday. ... No flooding in my area of town, but Raleigh did have flooding, as did areas (like Johnstone county) that are near streams or rivers. And of course, the entire shore line got hit really hard.