Official Hurricane Florence Thread

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Yea, that's NUTS, just the thought of "30-40 of rain is insane. Now you throw that surge in and your talking hellish conditions, truly, truly, dangerous. Another thought is this entire area is already waterlogged from Gorden's remnants, this rain, surge, extreme wind WILL topple almost any tree, when they hit your house, (and your inside it) it is not something that will be a "fond" memory, ask me how I know!. Tell them to GTFO!!

Even if you are inland enough to not be directly affected by the surge, it still prevents all of that rain from draining which makes the rain twice as bad, if not more.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
This thing looks like it’s losing steam. Cat 1 at landfall maybe? There’s going to be a lot of rain but not disaster scenario that it looked like before I don’t think.

Intensity is down but the wind field expanded dramatically. A larger area will be exposed to hurricane strength winds and storm surge.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Even if you are inland enough to not be directly affected by the surge, it still prevents all of that rain from draining which makes the rain twice as bad, if not more.

They are also not as flat as Florida, which means that water is going to funnel and collect in places. So if it were 2' of rain, it will be far deeper in areas where it collects. That happened in TX.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Live video:
Nice to see a live flag test. I checked in on that camera this morning. Flag was intact. Need info on manufacturer.

Though USAToday was showing that camera feed and claiming it as their own, with their logo superimposed.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
That US flag in the live video feed is getting beat to hell...it was in good condition this morning...

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
We should just put Scott Sterling on Myrtle Beach, problem solved.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
They've named the flag Kevin

q3fAJIG.gif

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
If hurricanes are going to disrespect the flag like that, I'm boycotting the Weather Channel. I'm going to go burn an anemometer.

Reactions: zinfamous

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Yea, just heard over the radio on the way home a million people are without power already. hopefully the decease from the 140MPH winds to the cat 2 110MPH winds will at least spare some structures from getting mangled. Matthew did a quick 30 mile jog to the west, (further out in the ocean) as it passed by Daytona so we saw 90MPH vs the full 120-130MPH it was packing. Even with that break. damage was extensive and we had no power for 5 days, people in NC/SC thinking "oh, it's only a cat 2" will be in for a rude awakening, the slow speed and expanded wind field will still give it ample time for pummeling.