**OFFICIAL HALF LIFE 2 THREAD** - KEEP ALL THE HALF LIFE CHATTER IN HERE GUYS!!

Page 27 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rwmega

Aug 6, 2004
I couldn't imagine how terrible it would feel to know you have the physical package of HL2 in your home but not be able to use it! Must be such torture. ;)

I'd be like having a winning lotto ticket and not being able to cash it in because there is some kind of force field around it.

There it is... taunting you, you may touch it, you may dream about it, but you cannot play it.

Shagga

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 1999
GamePlay told me yesterday when I queried UK release that it should ship to me on Monday all things being equal. However, they did say that Vivaldi [sp] are making things difficult to get the game to everyone in time. This means it could be late for those who ordered from GamePlay.....Oh no... :(

NYHoustonman

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 2002
Copied from another thread:

This is fuggin sick. I'm hearing about this everywhere now. Steam should unlock all Steam-sold copies and keep retail copies locked till the 16th (and I'm dead serious here)... I've heard that Valve vowed to unlock early if the street date was broken, and it's not that I want the game early (but of course I do), but rather that it looks like VU is fvcking around some more.

Yep, apparently all Best Buys are selling the game early. And I wouldn't doubt it being VU's fault.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: rwmega
I couldn't imagine how terrible it would feel to know you have the physical package of HL2 in your home but not be able to use it! Must be such torture. ;)

I'd be like having a winning lotto ticket and not being able to cash it in because there is some kind of force field around it.

There it is... taunting you, you may touch it, you may dream about it, but you cannot play it.

Well, I bought HL2 over steam. So the box doesn't mean much, but I was surprised to recieve it today and the thing is pretty damn slick.

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
I have a feeling that within the next 24 hours we're going to see HL2 unlocked on Steam. The game is being sold in SO many places. Anyone else agree with me?

Discuss!

etalns

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2001
Originally posted by: warcrow
I have a feeling that within the next 24 hours we're going to see HL2 unlocked on Steam. The game is being sold in SO many places. Anyone else agree with me?

Discuss!

Doesn't matter. They never stated that they would be releasing HL2 if the street date was broken, people made that up. Not to mention, noone can actually play HL2 at the moment, so it doesn't matter if everyone has HL2 or noone does, until the registration occurs it's not playable, and as such shouldn't be a concern for valve.

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Qosis

Discuss!

Doesn't matter. They never stated that they would be releasing HL2 if the street date was broken, people made that up. Not to mention, noone can actually play HL2 at the moment, so it doesn't matter if everyone has HL2 or noone does, until the registration occurs it's not playable, and as such shouldn't be a concern for valve.

I think you missed the point of my question mr Devils advocate. Reread, especially the first sentence.

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Here is am official statement released earlier from valve:

Half-Life 2 For Sale?
November 13, 2004, 4:57 pm
If you have purchased a copy of Half-Life 2, we are sorry you are still waiting to play. This is not Valve's choice. Vivendi is insisting that the game has not yet been released, and has threatened that Valve would be in violation of its contract if we activate the Half-Life 2 Steam authentication servers at this time.

Thanks for your patience and we will update you when we have more news to share.

stickybytes

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2003
Here is am official statement released earlier from valve:

Half-Life 2 For Sale?
November 13, 2004, 4:57 pm
If you have purchased a copy of Half-Life 2, we are sorry you are still waiting to play. This is not Valve's choice. Vivendi is insisting that the game has not yet been released, and has threatened that Valve would be in violation of its contract if we activate the Half-Life 2 Steam authentication servers at this time.

Thanks for your patience and we will update you when we have more news to share.

and why would vivendi care when the care is released. they should be happy that people have rushed to buy the game before its release date. :confused: it shows people are actually anticipating the game.

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001

Discuss!

I think they might too. I bet vivendi is making them wait on a certain number of retail sales or something. It is out everywhere in retail so they might aswell.... Its not a big deal though Tuesday is comming up fast. I hope they release it at 12AM EST that day hehe.

clicknext

Banned
Mar 27, 2002
Originally posted by: JBT

Discuss!

I think they might too. I bet vivendi is making them wait on a certain number of retail sales or something. It is out everywhere in retail so they might aswell.... Its not a big deal though Tuesday is comming up fast. I hope they release it at 12AM EST that day hehe.

I think they'll just wait until the date as planned. Too bad I won't have time to play it on a weekday anyway.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Can you imagine how many pissed off people are getting home with copies of HL2 and not being able to play it? I mean, you have to figure, WE are not the majority buyer of PC games. John Q Public is, and he doesn't know anything about Steam, or authorization servers. He figures he can buy a game, go home and play it. And he's read about this one in PCGamer for months now.

Drizzy

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2003
It wont be out until the time they originally said they would send it. Anyone found any hot deals on this game btw?

gizbug

Platinum Member
May 14, 2001
Most of you looking forward soley to the single player aspect?
Ihear there isnt a team fortress due out anytime soon.

RealityTime

Oct 18, 2004
It should go without saying that valve has come up with a good method of copy protection if hl2 does not turn up on torrent sites by tomorrow. If this activation method is crackable, hl2 should probably be on the internet tomorrow or monday at the latest. Unless of course activation involves actually receiving some necessary file from the steam service to actually make the game run.

edit: I was talking out my ass there :) I get the impression what is on these discs you buy is essentially exactly what you get from the valve pre-load. In that case, I guess it will not be illegally put out. My question is does it actually state on the box under system requirements that you must have an internet connection. If thats not on the box, they are in a bit of trouble as far as people who don't have internet and want to play this game. There will be some people in this position.