**OFFICIAL HALF LIFE 2 THREAD** - KEEP ALL THE HALF LIFE CHATTER IN HERE GUYS!!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Cool more preloading to do hehe. Anyone know if I have it already preloaded all I have ot do is get the CD key off my CD case when I get it and I will be all set right?

I already pre order in full as I had credit at a local Game stop for selling my PS2 lol.

clicknext

Banned
Mar 27, 2002
Yep, all you need to do is register your CD key and you will be able to play. That, however, isn't the last of the pre-load material, though. There will be more to preload, but with it already taking up such a giant chunk of space on my hard drive, I sure hope it's not too much more.

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
Originally posted by: ScottSwingleComputers
How is it not the last? It says done.

Mine said "Done" 3 days ago, then they released the Audio pack, and it went back down to 52% complete.

It just means it's downloaded what's already been released! ;)

Confused

naruto1988

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2004
base source shared materials.gcf - 1.06 gigs
base source shared sounds.gcf - 996 megs

4 CDs...*sigh* i'm gonna be one of the first to unlock my copy through steam =D

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
November 1st? Right now its sept 5th, and they're preloading texture, models and sounds. Stuff that will not change. Granted, there might be a bunch of cosmetics changes done to some levels, but I'm guessing the hold up on the game is the MP (Counter Strike). Personally, I think the SP portion of the game is already done.

On a side note, id was done with the SP portion of D3 2 months before release. Thats how some of these magazines had full reviews before the game was out. They were working and tweaking the DM and waited until the SP portion was done b/f even hitting MP development.

Thats just my 2 cents.

zodder

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2000
www.jpcompservices.com
Should there be 2 files that preload? I signed up and it looks like I only downloaded the sound file. Is there any way to get the other file, if there is another one?

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
9/7/04 REMINDER:VALVE TO HAND OFF RELEASE CLIENT ON 15TH!

This doesnt mean the game is going gold on the 15th. Valve releasing a RC to Vinveti means, "Hey, we think this is a good enough candidate for release, what do you think?". They might come back and say, weeeeell....we think you should fix this and this. Personally, I think we're getting extremely close. So hey, this has been know for some time, I just wanted to remind everyone.

Source

sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
Originally posted by: warcrow

This doesnt mean the game is going gold on the 15th. Valve releasing a RC to Vinveti means, "Hey, we think this is a good enough candidate for release, what do you think?". They might come back and say, weeeeell....we think you should fix this and this. Personally, I think we're getting extremely close. So hey, this has been know for some time, I just wanted to remind everyone.

Source

The way publishers have been willing to release buggy games recently...I don't think there will be any holdup.

Davegod

Platinum Member
Nov 26, 2001
my guess is they'll be more than interested in getting it out the door for the christmas shopping period, if at all possible. i gather publisher's QC is almost purely about not having games that might totally fubar someone's pc.

Jun 18, 2000

Source
I wish Valve would just shut the hell up until the game goes gold. Does anybody remember the "16 days until a release candidate" bullcrap from July?

http://ve3dboards.ign.com/mess...379&start=16475966
Right now we are looking at our bug numbers. Each day you fix some bugs and you find some new bugs. The net number tells you how quickly you will get to zero.
At our current rate of find/fix bugs, we'll be down to zero bugs in 16 days.
:roll::roll::roll:

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: bjc112
Those screenshots suck and look like they were taken @ 640X480 :(

Yea, whats up with the jaggies? Valve needs to seriously turn on the AA and Ansio!

klah

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2002

Yea, whats up with the jaggies? Valve needs to seriously turn on the AA and Ansio!

The pics are from PC Gamer magazine, not Valve.

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: klah

The pics are from PC Gamer magazine, not Valve.

They were published in PC Gamer mag, but Valve is the one that supplied the screenies.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
What's a release "client"???

Even microsoft frequently has more than one RC before going gold. Don't be too surprised if it happens here. I bet the publisher will be happy even if it's released in late november.

klah

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2002
Phase 3 preloading has begun. This time it is the models.

base source shared models.gcf
Size: 458 MB (481,222,360 bytes)

That brings the total preload to 2.41GB so far.

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: klah
Phase 3 preloading has begun. This time it is the models.

base source shared models.gcf
Size: 458 MB (481,222,360 bytes)

That brings the total preload to 2.41GB so far.

Nice!

Mar 19, 2003
Very cool video....

Now, can I afford to drop $50 or $60 on this game when I'm still searching for a car? Hmmmm.... :p

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Dling the Coast video and the 3rd pre load dealy. I really hope this game is relaed soon... arrr