**OFFICIAL** FFXIV:ARR Thread

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005
Unlocking paladin will require you to have Level 30 gladiator and level 15 marauder iirc, so you'll definitely want to use some of them. But yeah, every class will see substantial benefits from even just levelling other classes to 10ish for additional abilities. In particular a Gladiator would also benefit from the Pugilist abilities that give you an evasion bonus and the "counter attack" that slows enemies when you dodge/parry I'd think, and both of those are available very early.

It's 30 gladiator and 15 conjurer.

You still need to level marauder to 26 though to get all their useful cross skills. Conjurer not so much, really up to you if you want to take them all the way to 36 just for stoneskin.

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005
Is it just me or are skills that aren't on the main GCD on their own hidden GCD?

Like I can't just hit 2+ non GDC skills immediate after one another. I have to wait like .5 sec or something..

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Maybe it does. I can't speak much towards the leveling aspect, cause I'm coming from the perspective of a legacy char with all crafts leveled already, and I only played a limited amount in the beta. They are indeed A LOT easier to level than they were before AAR. However, the crafts are modeled in the same fashion as the DoW/DoM in that it behooves you to level them all to get certain 'cross-class' abilities. Each DoH's Lv50 ability can be used on any other DoH, and several of the Lv50 abilities are VERY helpful when trying to maximize your chances to HQ. There's at least 1-2 abilities I put on the bar from every DoH except armorer, which sadly doesn't contribute much--maybe the elemental based ability in certain situations. Many useful skills are learned at early levels (Lv15), but some are learned in the 30's and some at 50.

I admit, the leveling speed you're telling us about here seems pretty dang fast (too fast?). Perhaps they went too far in trying to make DoH cross-class abilities accessible. Or maybe they didn't...hard to say. I reckon there will be a LOT of competition with crafts in this game.

I feel like it probably is but who knows. Maybe the game does become about the level 50 crafts and eventually he who has access to the most useful cross class crafting abilities will be the most successful. In that sense, you'll probably burn most of the guild leves getting 2-3 professions maxxed and then it'll be a much more slow paced (or expensive) as you won't have such a wealth of them saved for the next one.

I can say that I saw a character (on a fresh server) with both Level 50 Carpentry and Level 50 Blacksmithing as early as like... Saturday? Also when I was in Quarrymill levelling my carpentry off one of the leves there (Ash Radicals? Yew Radicals? I forget) there was another guy sitting there doing the same thing and whispered me "These leves are pretty ridiculous huh?" lol.

And picking up abilities from other classes makes all the difference in the world definitely. Waste Not is amazing for levelling new crafts (especially for 40 durability mats) and I'm also quite fond of Rumination and Tricks of the Trade. I need to get some of my lower crafts to 15(?) for access to some more of them.

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
No real path is better than another really. I would say leveling a tank or healer first is probably best though because you will get the storyline exp that makes leveling easier instead of having to start grinding stuff which is easier to do on a DPS class.

I mean a specific job leveling order for a tank (Paladin) that might be the most beneficial.

It's 30 gladiator and 15 conjurer.

You still need to level marauder to 26 though to get all their useful cross skills. Conjurer not so much, really up to you if you want to take them all the way to 36 just for stoneskin.

Ahh okay... I was considering making the Marauder my second priority (behind the Paladin requirements). I still want to try out the pugilist as I like the form switching concept. So, I'll probably play that a little too.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
And picking up abilities from other classes makes all the difference in the world definitely. Waste Not is amazing for levelling new crafts (especially for 40 durability mats) and I'm also quite fond of Rumination and Tricks of the Trade. I need to get some of my lower crafts to 15(?) for access to some more of them.

you should pick up careful synthesis (wvr 15). It's 90% potency 100% successful synth, and perfect for when you just don't want to fuck with square's 90% chance on basic touch. the other ones I've seen are fairly lackluster and not really worthwhile, but I heard culinarian's lvl 15 skill is good too (I don't have it myself though).

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Man, I wish maintenance wasn't during the evening time here grrr! Been leveling up my Alchemy since that is what I need to make my relic weapon and it has a lot of great skills for other DoH classes.

I have got to say, I like the crafting a lot once you get the feel for it all. Hit level 23 and I have a few HQ and a bunch of NQ stuff for leves to turn in when I log in tomorrow. Have like 55 leves saved up, used a good bit already leveling alchemy lol.

Going to have to learn about materia also now as well.

tedrodai

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2006
These are my current favorites among the cross-class DoH abilities, though there's several other useful ones:

ALC: Tricks of the Trade (15), Comfort Zone (50)
CUL: Hasty Touch (15), Steady Hand II (37)
CRP: Byregot's Blessing (50)
GSM: Manipulation (15)
LTW: Waste Not (15), Waste Not II (50)

pathos

Aug 12, 2009
At 44 (where I left off in 1.0) i'm already having a few issues with the quest pacing. For how few quests there are in each level range and how they are one-time only, they do not give nearly the exp I would expect. At 10-13k exp each, I completed two quest hubs and maybe got 1/3 of a level. It's gonna be FATE grinding all the way for any other jobs I level that high simply because there are no quests left to do. It's actually faster and easier to run around the starter zones doing FATEs for 3-4k a pop while level synced than it is to solo quest in a level appropriate zone. Definitely still needs some adjustment.

I got my Monk up to 40, and I've had to do some slight grinding since 39. Not much, mind you.

Of course I usually do fates when I run across one, but don't really go out of my way to find them.

And, I never did set foot in the sunken temple dungeon.

So, those 2 things might have something to do with it.

Oh, and on a side note, the level 40 class quest was a real pain in the butt. Not from me dying, but from my npc's dying. Took me 4 tries to be able to keep them alive to get the duty clear message. Thats the first time I had npc's on a class quest, that just died if you looked at them funny.

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
Does this game have enough pre FF8 fan service? would I have fun if I buy it for 3 or 4 months and just solo stuff?

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Has anyone got RadeonPro working properly with FFXIV?

There seems to be a few sources saying that FFXIV doesn't play nicely with the best AMD/ATI related graphics tool going and I have been unable to get it to hook up with the Benchmark in any way, shape or form.

Hopefully the postman should arrive with my copy in the next 5 hours, 39 minutes.

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
I may try it, since support for CF setups is pretty lackluster unofficially right now. (Beta 13.8 drivers address that, but I'm having problems getting 2560x1440 running with them; so waiting for an official response or update.)

Phobic9

Golden Member
Apr 6, 2001
Does this game have enough pre FF8 fan service? would I have fun if I buy it for 3 or 4 months and just solo stuff?

Depends on what you mean by "enough" but the game definitely feels like an older Final Fantasy game to me with the little touches here and there they've put into the game.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001

hard to say considering the game's been fully out for less than a month. There's quite enough soloing to do if you want to just grind, but as for 4 months of variety things for JUST soloing? Unless you love grinding or crafting, probably not. I can see you grinding for just a month on lvling gathering classes, and using those classes to level other crafting classes though.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Lovely... postman goes past my house and no delivery is made.

Place I ordered from said that their delivery times were an estimate (no they weren't) and that it's been dispatched direct from the supplier (which I wasn't informed of) and if it hasn't arrived in 5 working days (by Tuesday next week) I should phone up.

Muchos painos in the arseos. I was really looking forward to giving it a go today.

tedrodai

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2006
Unless you love grinding or crafting, probably not. I can see you grinding for just a month on lvling gathering classes, and using those classes to level other crafting classes though.

Apparently, in order to do gathering leves, you have to first do a quest on DoW/DoM at each particular camp in order to unlock leves for that camp. Meaning you need a Lv30 fighting class to unlock leves at a Lv30 camp before you can do Lv30 gathering leves there. Etc.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Apparently, in order to do gathering leves, you have to first do a quest on DoW/DoM at each particular camp in order to unlock leves for that camp. Meaning you need a Lv30 fighting class to unlock leves at a Lv30 camp before you can do Lv30 gathering leves there. Etc.

This is true, though at the same time I think leves for the classes that originate in each city go all the way to 50. They're not always the best ones for your level but they will always be available it seems.

I may try it, since support for CF setups is pretty lackluster unofficially right now. (Beta 13.8 drivers address that, but I'm having problems getting 2560x1440 running with them; so waiting for an official response or update.)

I was having some crashing problems on 13.4 with a single card. It was pretty sporadic but I would get these massive FPS drops, it seemed especially common with the Return or Rain/Snow so maybe it's something to do with one of the particle animations. But I went with 13.8 and set my GFX settings a little more conservatively and it's been for the last day or two at least since I changed.

I'm hopeful for yesterday's maintenance to show benefits today, but we won't really know until tonight imo. Character creation is enabled though at least for the time being, got my alt made.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001

I wasn't specifically mentioning gathering leves, but yeah you do. But the good thing is you don't NEED to do gathering leves, you can very well farm 20 stacks of silver ore to level up normally.

I was able to log on with 0 issues... but then I logged on at 5:00am and there were only 2-3 people on when I got in. I'll judge how well the servers are handling loads come later tonight... I am cautiously optimistic, and my friend just bought a copy of the game so I hope I can play with him.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Lovely... postman goes past my house and no delivery is made.

Place I ordered from said that their delivery times were an estimate (no they weren't) and that it's been dispatched direct from the supplier (which I wasn't informed of) and if it hasn't arrived in 5 working days (by Tuesday next week) I should phone up.

Muchos painos in the arseos. I was really looking forward to giving it a go today.

Sorry to quote myself and to moan some more...

But I got a call to say that I should expect it on the 13th September 2013. There are no local stores with it in stock and no idea when they'll get any more.

I'm screwed.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001

But I got a call to say that I should expect it on the 13th September 2013. There are no local stores with it in stock and no idea when they'll get any more.

I'm screwed.

ouch, you can't get a digital copy online? The NA amazon store was selling digital copies.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010

I've been using CFX with 2xHD 7970 OC'ed to 1050/1525 on 2560x1440 and 1x1 Optimize CFX-Profile without issue (just two game crashes but so far, but not sure if game's fault or OC's fault.)

I did a few benchmark runs trying to compare 13.6 Beta 2 versus 13.8 Beta 2 (I posted my results in VC&G the stickied 13.8 thread) and found that 13.8 isn't better.

At least on my end, using CFX regardless of profile settings my 13.8 results were lower than m 13.6 results and since I get hit with the slave card @ 99% peg issue, my room got uncomfortable hot after a while. Since I use v-sync, CFX with 13.6 the cards would load at about 50-60% in CPU limited areas (towns), and with 13.8 it would be Master 20% and Slave 99%.

I'm screwed.

I have a spare Digital Key if you want to buy it off me. Let me know. The way Square handled this release has been a complete cluster funk with important imformation burried in forums. As a legacy player, I got the free ARR upgrade but that's after I had pre-ordered a regular and CE digital key (and GMG those sales are final so no refund.)

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
I have a spare Digital Key if you want to buy it off me. Let me know. The way Square handled this release has been a complete cluster funk with important imformation burried in forums. As a legacy player, I got the free ARR upgrade but that's after I had pre-ordered a regular and CE digital key (and GMG those sales are final so no refund.)

YGM.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
By the by, before I level an alt, do they get their own retainers? Or are retainers accountwide? I need more AH slots :p

Assuming they're not, is there any way to move items between the two characters? I would say mail but you seem unable to friend offline characters and also unable to mail to non-friends, which I do like, but that seems to pose a slight problem for this scenario lol. FC bank would work I suppose, though even with only a handful of players ours is already real cluttered.