**OFFICIAL** FFXIV:ARR Thread

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
By the by, before I level an alt, do they get their own retainers? Or are retainers accountwide? I need more AH slots :p

Assuming they're not, is there any way to move items between the two characters? I would say mail but you seem unable to friend offline characters and also unable to mail to non-friends, which I do like, but that seems to pose a slight problem for this scenario lol. FC bank would work I suppose, though even with only a handful of players ours is already real cluttered.

That was the problem I found. I can't seem to move anything inbetween characters without a 3rd party holding the stuff... and AFAIK retainers are personal, not account wide.

So you can't make a mule like you can in FF11 unfortunately. Unless you get 2 accounts...

did they fix the login problems today?

Not yet. People who log out right now are stuck in limbo. You may be able to log in because of the abundance amount of people stuck there though...

Last edited:

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Not yet. People who log out right now are stuck in limbo. You may be able to log in because of the abundance amount of people stuck there though...

At this point hearing this (or reading I guess) is so damn frustrating. I've been one of the few unfortunate souls who can't seem to get on the NA server most of my friends settled on due to whatever reason my client always gets 90K'd. I could just be zoning at the same time as my GF and she'll load fine and I'd get disconnected. Then it would be a struggle for the 3012 to clear ("You're currently logged on.") Once that does clear I'm greeted by the 1017 error and frankly I lose patience.

I ended up settling on a JP server that has so far had zero issues (outside of the massive flood this weekend but even then 5-10 minutes of SPamming 0 and I'm back in.)

I greatly enjoy the game, but man is it a goddamn chore. ANd now I'm not even 100% sure I'll ever get to join my friends on the NA server they chose because it is high population. So it's either talk them all into transfer or settle with playing just with my GF (which I'm fine with, but she seems more bothered than I am.)

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
SE really has until the end of this week to regain most people's trust. After that most will leave in droves under the impression "square doesn't have their shit together", and they'd be right.

For a big company that had tons of experience in ff11, i expected more from the launch. Barring that, I expect the expansion to be fairly smooth even if I know (personally) in reality server expansions never go according to plans.

I logged in fine, but they need to meet increased expectations starting today... mainly the ability to simply login and play and not having to resort to writing a bot just to spam num0 for you so you can log in.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
ANd now I'm not even 100% sure I'll ever get to join my friends on the NA server they chose because it is high population. So it's either talk them all into transfer or settle with playing just with my GF (which I'm fine with, but she seems more bothered than I am.)

I'd heard Leviathan is one of the worst NA servers in terms of population but I was able to make my alt this morning and one of my friends + a few friends of friends were all also able to create. At the same time however, they re-closed creation on a number of servers within about an hour and a half of the servers being back up but I would assume they were mostly JP, so the window doesn't seem to last too long.

For a big company that had tons of experience in ff11

Well, different teams and at the same time it wasn't like Seekers of Adoulin had an amazing launch. Plenty of patching issues and people unable to get in/update. Personally I don't really fault SE in particular and I think it's more the nature of the beast with MMOs than anything else. At any rate, I'd rather have a game that I want to play but can't get in than vice versa; the technical stuff will get smoothed over eventually but having a lame game itself is much more damning in the long term.

Last edited:

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
SE really has until the end of this week to regain most people's trust. After that most will leave in droves under the impression "square doesn't have their shit together", and they'd be right.

No kidding. One of my friends who was having issues on the NA server couldn't even get onto the JP server we settled on.

So now my group of friends is fragmented across three servers. Haha. What a mess. And with no real announcement on how they'll handle transfers, we have no idea how to plan.

Do we continue grinding our toons in hopes we can all meet up? Is the current NA server just too full so we should all abandon it and try to find a new server?

I personally don't mind starting new characters, but I'm a grind whore :D

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
I'd heard Leviathan is one of the worst NA servers in terms of population but I was able to make my alt this morning and one of my friends + a few friends of friends were all also able to create. At the same time however, they re-closed creation on a number of servers within about an hour and a half of the servers being back up but I would assume they were mostly JP, so the window doesn't seem to last too long.

Exactly. ANd because that window is so short (often minutes after a maintenance or peak times) we're left struggling since we all can't be at our computers during those small windows.

For example, 1 of our 4 friends was able to get a character on our JP server before they locked them again. I still have terrible issues with Hyperion (our original NA server) and it seems to only focus on me (most others can play fine.)

SO it's like "WTF man!" Trying to be super patient but the recent threads about the errors after the alleged fix is even so discouraging. Now I wonder if I'll be able to log on when I get home, and since I don't have that much free time, losing 20-30 minutes to the log-in issues is like 25% of my free time for a night.

redrider4life4

Jan 23, 2009
I was able to log in at 8 am no issues, interested to see how it is from 5-8 tonight when all the U.S. guys are out of work/school

robvp

Aug 7, 2013
Been hearing that the error 3102 is back with a vengeance, i might not get much time to try tonight but hopefully this will be resolved soon

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Well, different teams and at the same time it wasn't like Seekers of Adoulin had an amazing launch. Plenty of patching issues and people unable to get in/update. Personally I don't really fault SE in particular and I think it's more the nature of the beast with MMOs than anything else. At any rate, I'd rather have a game that I want to play but can't get in than vice versa; the technical stuff will get smoothed over eventually but having a lame game itself is much more damning in the long term.

Difference is this is FF14's last chance and they're cocking this one up big time with their overly conservative estimates. And I'd wager to say most players of SoA had established characters and are not new players who can't even create a new character, much less PLAY the darn game they paid for.

There's a difference in expectation when you buy an expansion vs when you buy a spanking new game.... that you can't even play. If I couldn't play last of us on day 1 I'd have returned it.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Difference is this is FF14's last chance and they're cocking this one up big time with their overly conservative estimates. And I'd wager to say most players of SoA had established characters and are not new players who can't even create a new character, much less PLAY the darn game they paid for.

There's a difference in expectation when you buy an expansion vs when you buy a spanking new game.... that you can't even play. If I couldn't play last of us on day 1 I'd have returned it.

There was about 12 of us going into this game. So far only 5 of us have stuck around, 4 other's never cashed their code since they couldn't get in during EA and thus got refunds. 2 other's are some what pissed they opened their copies even though they didn't get into EA either and thus no refund. 1 I haven't heard from, we think he's dead...kidding aside, I don't think he'll be joining us.

So just in my circle of nerds they've lost ~66% of the audience. And it isn't just because of the servers. The ones that couldn't get into EA was because of the server screw up that was spitting out EU codes. So they got screwed. Opening tickets was futile as they'd get no response.

It's just been a big mess on all ends. I had to be "that guy" and pre-order from Amazon to get a new Early Access code since I too got a EU PS3 code even though I bought a Digital PC CE key.

KIAman

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
This is the worst MMO launch I've ever been part of. The only major MMO launch I haven't been a part of (and I've never played) was WoW.

The real interesting part is that there has only been 1 small client patch. All of the "fixes" are at the server level which tells me they really have no clue what the heck is going on.

Are they patching the server software? Or simply moving/adding clusters? From how smooth the JP servers are, even with the occasional 1017 error, it tells me they are adding/upgrading clusters.

If anybody want to look me up, Stormbad Worldfire. In open beta, I made on Ultros but found that my buddies made on Gilgamesh so I rerolled during early release.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
The ones that couldn't get into EA was because of the server screw up that was spitting out EU codes. So they got screwed. Opening tickets was futile as they'd get no response

Thing is, SE said you could re-register your code and it'll spit out a NA code once that was sorted out. Did they try that at least?

I won't argue this is a mess though.

Are they patching the server software? Or simply moving/adding clusters? From how smooth the JP servers are, even with the occasional 1017 error, it tells me they are adding/upgrading clusters.

Japan servers have 1017 issues too, just not as much as NA/EU servers because they have less people playing (so it baffles me when they have 5 more servers, but I digress).

They were adding new hardware as well as reconfiguring the duty finder, as well as all around heavy upgrades... they made that pretty clear in the announcements.

Was it effective? Well, we'll see once they sort out the 3012 issue so people can actually log in. :awe:

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Thing is, SE said you could re-register your code and it'll spit out a NA code once that was sorted out. Did they try that at least?

I won't argue this is a mess though.

I can't vouch for them, but I know my pre-order code never changed. I'd keep getting the same EU PS3 code. And I figured I'd try to claim it only to learn the PS3 clients are region locked. /facepalm.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I guess what annoys me the most about it is that it isn't like everyone is "suffering" (first world problems?) by not being able to play. So, I guess I mean that I'd feel better if no one got to play rather than a bunch of people being unable to play (including myself). :p

This is the worst MMO launch I've ever been part of. The only major MMO launch I haven't been a part of (and I've never played) was WoW.

WoW's launch wasn't too bad overall. It also had some teething issues, but I recall the worst problems being loot lag and long queues. The queue problem wasn't really limited to just the launch though. It pretty much happened each expansion up to and including Wrath of the Lich King. I don't recall Cataclysm having the problems though.

pathos

Aug 12, 2009
By the by, before I level an alt, do they get their own retainers? Or are retainers accountwide? I need more AH slots :p

Assuming they're not, is there any way to move items between the two characters? I would say mail but you seem unable to friend offline characters and also unable to mail to non-friends, which I do like, but that seems to pose a slight problem for this scenario lol. FC bank would work I suppose, though even with only a handful of players ours is already real cluttered.

I originally made 3 characters, before I settled on my pugilist/monk. Haven't deleted the other 2 yet (22 conjurer and 22 lancer, I think?). They do get their own retainers, and the inventory between retainers across an account is not shared (so, between 3 characters, I have 6 retainers, and none share inventory with any of the others).

Also, someone has to be on your friends list before you can email them. Or, that was the message I got when I tried to email myself. And, since you can only friend someone when they are online, there is no befriending yourself.

So, if there is a way to transfer items between characters on the same account, other than having a 3rd party help you out, I haven't found it.

nanobreath

May 14, 2008
I think the biggest problem is they do not truly understand the amount of people that are trying to access this game. Because of the artificially low server caps, the maximum concurrent number of connections is well below what it could be if they had enough servers and space. Today was supposed to open brand new servers, yet they only opened 1 realm in each region. They are trying to avoid opening too many realms to have population crash and leave things empty. But at the rate they are going, the population is going to crash just because people are tired of not even being able to play the game.

I'm lucky in that I get off much earlier in the day than most people, as such I can usually get in before the massive crowds start logging in after work, but when my friends cannot even create a new character chances of me continuing to play further down the road are a lot smaller.

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005
They are trying to avoid opening too many realms to have population crash and leave things empty. But at the rate they are going, the population is going to crash just because people are tired of not even being able to play the game

I think the person that quits because they were unable to play due to a full server is more likely to try again in the very near future, compared to the people who leave due to the server feeling empty.

But my opinion is probably swayed due to SWTOR. When my server turned to a ghost town because they opened up way too many new ones at launch, I felt like I had no choice but to quit. I assume many people did the same. It wasn't due to lack of content as much as it was due to lack of players to do the content.

RiDE

Platinum Member
Jul 8, 2004
I think the person that quits because they were unable to play due to a full server is more likely to try again in the very near future, compared to the people who leave due to the server feeling empty.

But my opinion is probably swayed due to SWTOR. When my server turned to a ghost town because they opened up way too many new ones at launch, I felt like I had no choice but to quit. I assume many people did the same. It wasn't due to lack of content as much as it was due to lack of players to do the content.

When I logged on the Empire fleet on Shadowtown server and only saw 2 people on was the day I quit. I see the game is in much better shape now after the merges but none of my friends are playing anymore so I can't be bothered to install it again. Also, Empire vs Empire or Republic vs Republic warzones still don't make sense to me. :p

teecee33

Jan 24, 2012
No 1017 error for me after patch. Normally when I log on I get the world is full. Good start....

redrider4life4

Jan 23, 2009
I am told the error when logging back in was only if you logged in after the patch, logged out, then tried to log back in again (this has been hotfixed though). So nobody should be getting any errors any longer.

On another note, when you are crafting and you HQ the item, do you only get the huge experience bonus your first shot at crafting the item or is it the first time you HQ the item no matter how many attempts?

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I am told the error when logging back in was only if you logged in after the patch, logged out, then tried to log back in again (this has been hotfixed though). So nobody should be getting any errors any longer.

On another note, when you are crafting and you HQ the item, do you only get the huge experience bonus your first shot at crafting the item or is it the first time you HQ the item no matter how many attempts?

3102 is the "you are still logged in" issue. They hotfixed it, shouldn't be an issue anymore.

re: crafting

you get an extra boost when you craft an item for the first time, it's dependent on your level vs the synth level at the time I believe. When you increase the quality, you get extra exp based on how much quality you did, with a full quality bar being worth 300% of its original exp. I don't think HQs are inherently worth more than a normal synth, since i've gotten pretty low exp rewards for accidentally HQing stuff with a 5% chance.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005

XP bonus is for the first time successfully crafting an item regardless of HQ; I think it's strictly dependent on the level of the item vs the level of your craft class.

You get more XP per craft based on how high you fill the quality bar though. You do not get more for theoretically going 'over' 100% quality and you do not get bonus XP credit for quality earned from HQ materials however.

Last edited:

redrider4life4

Jan 23, 2009
Would you guys say it is worth it xp wise to actually mine/gather the ores and mats to get HQ materials to level the craft that much faster?

robvp

Aug 7, 2013
you can level to around 15-20 with storebought mats, but i would farm them myself since i also want to level the DoL jobs, that being said the level 50 nodes are timed and they seem to be already camped by RMT bots :(

redrider4life4

Jan 23, 2009
Of course they are lol, I'm guessing the Level 50 stuff isn't in the same place all the time either like the lower levels are?