**OFFICIAL** FFXIV:ARR Thread

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Would you guys say it is worth it xp wise to actually mine/gather the ores and mats to get HQ materials to level the craft that much faster?

mining is painfully boring.

That being said, I wouldn't say "mine hq mats to help level the craft faster". You should be using all the ores to level and attempting to HQ the stuff instead of relying on HQ ores. With the best gear for the level, you'll only pick up 15% HQ ores unless you're well over the node's level. This is from experience for up to lvl 22 mining, so it's not much, but I didn't rely on HQ mats for leveling up... more from making tons of ingots to use later.

pathos

Aug 12, 2009
Well, logged in at 04:15 central, and no problems so far.

I hope it stays that way :D

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
still can't buy the game, lol...but i guess its better than having it and not being able to play.

pathos

Aug 12, 2009
You know, I normally have really good experiences in dungeons. Last night was a rare night though.

I que up for the optional 38 dungeon, since I need it for my flame company hunt logs, and the first group I'm in has this archer in it.....

After the 3rd pull, both the tank and healer dropped out of the group because of him. The tank actually apologized to me before he left. My second group did manage to get through the dungeon, although we did take a few deaths each. Sadly though, I only finished 2 of my 3 hunt logs from there, which means I have to go back /cry

I also tried the level 41 main story dungeon. We got to the final boss, but we ran out of time. We also died alot. :D

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
still can't buy the game, lol...but i guess its better than having it and not being able to play.

server's pretty stable now. I got a solid day of playing in and only got one 90000 error early morning when I logged on to check the market wards, and even then it took one login to get back.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
you can level to around 15-20 with storebought mats, but i would farm them myself since i also want to level the DoL jobs, that being said the level 50 nodes are timed and they seem to be already camped by RMT bots :(

Aren't gathering nodes instanced? Though I suppose for the endgame mats they could change that somewhat to keep them scarce.

Also as far as I know pretty much everyone I played with was able to log in and out at will last night, no queues and no errors. Creation still restricted though.

nanobreath

May 14, 2008
Would you guys say it is worth it xp wise to actually mine/gather the ores and mats to get HQ materials to level the craft that much faster?

Do not use HQ items to level. They do not in any way gain you more experience. Quality gained from HQ materials does not add experience, only quality gained from using "Touch" adds XP. Save all your HQ materials for when you actually want to craft an HQ item. yes you can still be getting good XP for making the item, but if your goal isn't to make HQ, don't waste those HQ mats. At higher levels, HQ mats and items will go for considerably more.

Speaking of HQing an item you want to wear. Last night I was doing my armorer quest where you need to HQ a Steel Chainmail. I had 4 times where I achieved 85-96% chance to HQ an item, and I made a standard quality items. Luckily I had lots of HQ iron ore and Bomb ash to keep making HQ steel ingots and rings, but let this be a lesson to anybody making HQ. Do absolutely everything possible to get that HQ chance to 100%. Don't think 97% is good enough, you can and will still make a SQ item.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002

Yep, my 12th attempt to buy the game is hanging in the balance right now too..

This retailer showed they had the physical media in stock, I ordered it and their CS confirmed it was in stock. Their 'order status' information on their site is borked so I have contacted them again (awaiting response).

BUT... it's now showing as Out of Stock on their website so of course, cogs are turning and I'm worried again.

This game is so damn elusive!

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005
You know, I normally have really good experiences in dungeons. Last night was a rare night though.

I que up for the optional 38 dungeon, since I need it for my flame company hunt logs, and the first group I'm in has this archer in it.....

After the 3rd pull, both the tank and healer dropped out of the group because of him. The tank actually apologized to me before he left. My second group did manage to get through the dungeon, although we did take a few deaths each. Sadly though, I only finished 2 of my 3 hunt logs from there, which means I have to go back /cry

I also tried the level 41 main story dungeon. We got to the final boss, but we ran out of time. We also died alot. :D

What was the archer doing that made them drop? Pulling / attacking unmarked enemies?

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Do not use HQ items to level. They do not in any way gain you more experience. Quality gained from HQ materials does not add experience, only quality gained from using "Touch" adds XP. Save all your HQ materials for when you actually want to craft an HQ item. yes you can still be getting good XP for making the item, but if your goal isn't to make HQ, don't waste those HQ mats. At higher levels, HQ mats and items will go for considerably more.

Speaking of HQing an item you want to wear. Last night I was doing my armorer quest where you need to HQ a Steel Chainmail. I had 4 times where I achieved 85-96% chance to HQ an item, and I made a standard quality items. Luckily I had lots of HQ iron ore and Bomb ash to keep making HQ steel ingots and rings, but let this be a lesson to anybody making HQ. Do absolutely everything possible to get that HQ chance to 100%. Don't think 97% is good enough, you can and will still make a SQ item.

I've had enough 95% misses that I get pissed if I can't get 100% on a lower level synth. But then that's generally offset by the occasional pleasant surprise of a 5% HQ.

I like how fairly balanced the HQ process is, if you have enough skill and equipment it's a pretty fair shot at HQing.

some higher level ingredients are a bit harder to HQ though since they only have 40 durability. I might switch to waste not for those synths, since it should essentially make it into a 80 durability material provided you're synthing every step.

tedrodai

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2006
Do absolutely everything possible to get that HQ chance to 100%. Don't think 97% is good enough, you can and will still make a SQ item.

Yeah I usually have good luck with the high HQ chances, but the crab bow I got to 86% last night came out NQ. Then the 1st darksteel nugget I made last night went HQ with only 10%.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
For some 40 dura crafts I think you could theoretically have better HQ with Inner Quiet / Waste Not / Touch, but I find that most of them I can do 'well enough' just spamming Great Strides and Standard/Improved Touch (whatever the more expensive versions are called) and I find it's faster for 'mass production' at least; it will depend somewhat on how much you overlevel the craft however.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
For some 40 dura crafts I think you could theoretically have better HQ with Inner Quiet / Waste Not / Touch, but I find that most of them I can do 'well enough' just spamming Great Strides and Standard/Improved Touch (whatever the more expensive versions are called) and I find it's faster for 'mass production' at least; it will depend somewhat on how much you overlevel the craft however.

Do you use any durability recovering or something like waste not? Most of the time I end up with like 10 dura and about 30-50 CP left that I can't use.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Usually it goes something like Great Strides / Steady Hand / Inner Quiet / Touch / Great Strides / Touch / Great Strides / Touch / Rumination / Steady Hand / Synth. Typing that out it now doesn't seem all that fast lol but I'm happy with the balance of quality and efficiency I seem to get for it.

Depending on craft I may use some Observes to try to land the Touches on Good/Excellent but that's about it. Also it depends on whether the Progress bar can be filled with a single Synthesis or not, though I find that for most anywhere roughly even to or below your level can be 'one shot'.

Also I was not aware until now that you can build craft macros. Not mine, but as an example.

/ac "Great Strides" <me>
/wait 2.6
/ac "Standard Touch" <me>
/wait 2.6
/ac "Great Strides" <me>
/wait 2.6
/ac "Steady Hand" <me>
/wait 2.6
/wait 2.6
/ac "Great Strides" <me>
/wait 2.6
/wait 2.6
/ac "Standard Synthesis" <me>

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
server's pretty stable now. I got a solid day of playing in and only got one 90000 error early morning when I logged on to check the market wards, and even then it took one login to get back.

Are most of them still locked down? :\

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
interesting thought on great strides: i'll try to squeeze that in earlier, but I hate doing standard touch without steady hands because of the 90% rule... except touch is 80%.

Does great strides take into account of bonuses by inner quiet? I had thought it only took the base which is why I don't use it as much as I should... or I could be confused with inner quiet's snowballing quality bonuses.

Are most of them still locked down? :\

A few of them are: I know the legacy worlds like hyperion (one I want to get on) is locked. Midgardsormr is not. I think there's a list on reddit somewhere but they're unlocking them slowly from what I heard.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
interesting thought on great strides: i'll try to squeeze that in earlier, but I hate doing standard touch without steady hands because of the 90% rule... except touch is 80%.

Yeah, it does suck when you Great Strides and get a good/excellent on step 2 and fail it (though getting the level 43 touch helps as well, base 90% success). If you have Tricks of the Trade you can turn the good into CP and then just continue as per normal and if you get an excellent the return on them is so good that it's well worth taking the chance on.

Though I really use those steps specifically for crafts that good/excellent 'don't matter' for. Like last night I was doing walnut lumber and unless I got outrageously unlucky and one of my touches landed on a poor following an excellent (which could happen if you're using a macro/not paying attention lol), my base HQ % on the lumber was 84 (with no condition bonuses) which I'm more than happy with considering it's going into making swords that are pretty easy to HQ anyway.

Higher level mats I usually like following the same pattern though depending on how difficult they are they may sacrifice a GS/Touch combo for Waste Not and [Improved] Synthesis. With a HQ input and/or lucky conditions I can do mats above my level (Dodore Leather/Cobalt Ingot last night) and get 10-20% HQ which is bearable if you only need one or two and, imo, a decent return if you find yourself grinding XP on mats.

Does great strides take into account of bonuses by inner quiet? I had thought it only took the base which is why I don't use it as much as I should... or I could be confused with inner quiet's snowballing quality bonuses.

I would have to double check but I can say almost certainly that it does. Off the top of my head I'm pretty sure that if I Great Strides + Advanced Touch on a Good, it's about +500 quality. But if I Great Strides + Advanced Touch on a Good with +1 level of Inner Quiet (which at my current level I believe offers about 43-44 control per application? so maybe +20% now that I think about it?) I believe it's about +570 quality.

Last edited:

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
that's nice to hear though. Do you buy your lumbers or chop your own? I'm finding it difficult to level through 20~ carpenter because it relies a lot on yew logs, which are going for about 200-500 a piece, and the guy that's selling it for less than that has 99 fucking pieces up on sale.

pathos

Aug 12, 2009
What was the archer doing that made them drop? Pulling / attacking unmarked enemies?

Heh, as soon as we got in the dungeon, the tank said "give me 30 secs", and the archer immediately ran out to look at the first mobs up ahead, aggro'd them, ran back to us, where we all died cause the tank was afk.

Then, on pretty much every pull, he wouldn't assist, at all. He'd end up drawiing aggro, and get himself and the healer killed, repeatedly.

We never killed the fourth pack of mobs we encountered. In the short time we spent in the dungeon, we wiped 5 times I think? Heck, I'm surprised the healer stayed as long as he did, really.

pathos

Aug 12, 2009
You know, something weird just occured to me.

I have no idea what other classes are capable of.

I know the game is still new, but it shocks me that I've made it as far as I have without knowing jack :p

As a pugilist, I usually have enough on my hands trying to stay positioned on the mobs (with the tanks moving around like crazy), and keeping my own self out of ae's and such, I'm normally not paying attention to who's doing what.

I have played a conjurer and lancer up to 22 each....and my subs on my pug/nonk is 15 lancer and maurader. But, thats about as far as my knowledge goes.

Perhaps I should either try some of the other classes out (which would also allow me to pick up some other abilities), or at the very least read up on the game a little 0_o

Mushkins

Golden Member
Feb 11, 2013
You know, something weird just occured to me.

I have no idea what other classes are capable of.

I know the game is still new, but it shocks me that I've made it as far as I have without knowing jack :p

As a pugilist, I usually have enough on my hands trying to stay positioned on the mobs (with the tanks moving around like crazy), and keeping my own self out of ae's and such, I'm normally not paying attention to who's doing what.

I have played a conjurer and lancer up to 22 each....and my subs on my pug/nonk is 15 lancer and maurader. But, thats about as far as my knowledge goes.

Perhaps I should either try some of the other classes out (which would also allow me to pick up some other abilities), or at the very least read up on the game a little 0_o

There's a lot of this going around :/ The problem is so many things changed so drastically from 1.0, and then changed even more during the betas and release that with the NDA pushing right up until pre-launch there is *very* little accurate published information about game mechanics and classes/jobs in their current state. Most of the wiki's are still blank pages or maybe skill lists at most, and pretty much every written guide is grossly outdated/inaccurate.

The Bluegartr forums and the ffxiv subreddit are pretty good places for info, or at least to ask questions so far.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
that's nice to hear though. Do you buy your lumbers or chop your own? I'm finding it difficult to level through 20~ carpenter because it relies a lot on yew logs, which are going for about 200-500 a piece, and the guy that's selling it for less than that has 99 fucking pieces up on sale.

I haven't done any harvesting whatsoever. I'm just an AH hawk lol so even when I was level 20 leather worker I was slowly accumulating cheap boar/gigantoad/peiste/etc skins whenever they might happen to pop up. Been very useful as I had decent stores of all of them ready when I got to them at little cost. I do the same thing with ores and wood that I'll need as well.

I just buy cheap large stacks of logs typically; for walnut last night I bought a stack of 99 logs for 8g each, though that was also pretty lucky. But I never buy lumber unless I absolutely need an HQ of something higher than me (like Mahogany currently) for a GC turnin or something; depending on shard cost on your server lumber could be a better deal than logs though. I have noticed that 'low level' mats have a tendency to rise in price as the "masses" progress past them simply because they become scarce when fewer people are bothering to actively harvest them.

I think at 20 (could be 25 though) carpenter there's a leve in Quarrymill that opens up and it wants... Yew Radicals I think? Maybe Ash? Either way Radicals are extremely easy to make, they take 1 branch (which can often be had far cheaper than logs/lumber I've found) and one beastkin blood (which is also super cheap). I'm pretty sure that was the first Carpenter leve I did and prior to that I did a lot of XPing just crafting for one time bonuses and then churning out earlier tier radicals because the mats were pretty easily available.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I've been doing that a bit, but haven't been hawking over higher level mats... which I should do I suppose.

I'm determined to mine my own ores, so I've been lvling armor/bsm a bit slower than I would normally. But so far so good: lvl 24 miner and I'm just churning through silver ores as a skill up in GSM.

I'll have to look into the radical thing for carpenter though. I remember making ash ones, but not from quarrymill. Is it just the delivery ends up there?