**OFFICIAL** Diablo 3 Thread

Page 70 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Well, I've never played World of Warcraft...so I wouldn't know about problems with those launches, but back in the day with the original Diablos and Starcraft etc. they were always know for launching a polished game.

Yes that was back in the day for Diablo 1 and Starcraft 1 and Warcraft 1 and 2.

Everything after that hasn't been so smooth. Some bumpier than others.

Oct 19, 2000
Well, I've never played World of Warcraft...so I wouldn't know about problems with those launches, but back in the day with the original Diablos and Starcraft etc. they were always know for launching a polished game.

True. Technically Diablo 3 is fairly polished, it's the servers that aren't. :p

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I don't have the box version. I only bought the digital version. To install the digital version you have to download it from scratch every time.

No you don't. I downloaded the install files to my NAS and have installed it on three different machines from there.

Dec 26, 2007
I thought Blizzard was always known for releasing games with absolute polish. After all it was in development for 6+ years...

Pretty sure nobody knows Blizzard for smooth launches. Great games, yes, but only after the first couple of days.

There are so many potential issues with software on release day. Especially a global release like this was. They could be having network issues to actual server issues to software (as in the server side software) issues. Plus I'm sure they had projections that were underestimated. Is that their fault? Yes, but they are a company and they have to draw a line somewhere on how many servers to plan to have up and running on release day. That may or may not be sufficient. Judging from the issues I've been seeing I'd guess it's primarily bugs in their server code and/or essentially a DDoS type issue that is bringing things down.

Not many games have been flawlessly released on day 1. It happens, but it's rare. Blizzard traditionally has issues on the first day or two, so this shouldn't be unexpected

Madia

May 2, 2006
Now you can change your skills around anywhere, but there is a delay between changing into a new skill and being able to use it. That's nice at least. However, you are stuck with the skill choices for the most part they make for you. Want two mantras to chose between? Nope. You can only have 1 mantra assigned to a hotkey at any given time. And only to the number 4 key can you assign mantras. I say it's a bit aggravating at least.

Which the choices for combos I may have liked previously for skills are no longer my choice to make. I must go with Blizzard's preconceived skill combos only. I must also go with the ergonomic button layout that the skill button developer liked most.

I was able to change the keybindings for my hotkeys from 1-4 to WASD. You can only change the keybinding in the options menu in game, not from the main menu.

weez82

Jan 6, 2011
I'm not getting the game for a week and I don't have time for it right now anyway. Hopefully I should avoid these server issues.

Thanks WelshBloke for that quick performance info. Seems as I expected, mid range systems can handle it.

Im playing it at 1600x900 at max everything. Dont know what fps im getting but I didnt experience and lag/slow downs/jitters or any performance issues. The game ran smooth. Was playing for 4 hours this morning with 3 others. They too had no problems. I think this game will run well using the recommended specs at low/med detail.

Dominato3r

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2008
I wonder if they could have circumvented some of the issues by time zones releases. Apparently all of the US got access at 12am pst

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
After not being thrilled about a missing skill tree, I'm quite enjoying it. My witch doctor can switch from a summoner to a ranged battler, or a combination. Plus other stuff I've yet to unlock. I really am satisfied with this system so far.

edit: server should have been back up 1 minute ago I believe... heh

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
I wonder if they could have circumvented some of the issues by time zones releases. Apparently all of the US got access at 12am pst

They did that for a reason. They knew there were more East Coast people, since it is more densely populated, and thus by having a 4am release for them there would be way less people logging on. Which is true to some degree. But they still under estimated.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
No you don't. I downloaded the install files to my NAS and have installed it on three different machines from there.

Yes you do, if the original beta stuff was corrupting the original download files.

Once you have a GOOD version completely download, then you can copy the Diablo III folder off to anywhere and just run it.

But until I cleared out that beta shit problems I had, anything I downloaded was going to be corrupted.

DAGTA

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
So how many Koreans have level 60 hardcore characters that have completed Inferno at this point? ;)

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
So how many Koreans have level 60 hardcore characters that have completed Inferno at this point? ;)

All of them, exactly 12 hours after it debuts in Korea. After that they grind for items to engage in the market.
Which is why Blizzard wanted a stake in the selling business.

HOOfan 1

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2007
I still find it funny that a single player game has server issues...

Blizzard claims it isn't a single player game. Server issues are what pissed people off over Ubisoft's DRM. I just hope Blizzard doesn't decide to pull the plug on the servers in 5 years...or if they do, they allow the community to start their own servers, like the Myth (Bungie game) community and the Tribes 2 community.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Guys, look me up on battle.net. bucknut#1595

Was having fun with co-op earlier and look forward to more of it.