**OFFICIAL** Diablo 3 Thread

Page 68 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jules

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I wanna get the collectors edition down the line when it under $30 bucks just like SC2 was, Anyone know if its possible to get the extras on the same account if i already have a standard copy?

Madia

May 2, 2006
It is kind of odd that there is no character customization, but you typically end up covering up yourself (over time) with gear anyway.

I don't mind the lack of the character customization as long as the default model looks good. A bigger gripe for me are some of the voice actors. I listened to them all via the intro cinematics while waiting for the servers to get back up. I thought the male versions of the Barbarian, Demon Hunter and Witch Doctor all fit well. The male monk I'm playing is also pretty good. I don't feel that the rest of the voices fit the characters. Maybe if I play them for a while my opinion will change but right now I'm thinking of going male witch doctor for my next playthrough instead of wizard.

Cutterhead

Jul 13, 2005
They actually had character customization in the game at one point and then removed it. Jay Wilson talked about this in an interview, and the decision to remove it basically boiled down to:

1.) You never see it past the first screen anyway.

2.) Diablo is about gear, and you get your customization that way.

3.) It needlessly delays people getting into the game and killing monsters. They want people to log on and start killing.

That last one makes the server issues seem rather ironic.

HOOfan 1

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2007
In one of the locked thread someone pointed out that this is not a single player game.

That is EXACTLY what Blizzard has said

Alex Mayberry said:
one misconception is that Diablo III is a single-player game. It's not. It's a multi-player game you can play alone

It is also EXACTLY the reason I probably won't buy it...at least not for a long long long time

I never play Muliti in D1 or D2...and until the always online was announced I never planned to play it in D3.

One of the developers even had the gall to say

.....I see the argument about, well, I won't be able to play it on my laptop while traveling. But you know what? When you get off the plane and get to your friend's house, you can log in and play your character

That is a perfect example of a non sequitur.
How does being able to log on at your friends house and playing your character at all make up for the fact that one cannot play the game on the plane? Even if they could play on the plane, they could log on at their friend's house and play their character.

Why not tell us the real reason for the auction house and always online requirement? You want more money. Always online=DRM. Hey, this is your game and you have a right to design it as you please, but don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
I just started and only did the first quest but is the skill tree gone? So far it seems that skills just unlock at certain levels and you don't pick. Also leveling up you don't get to customize how you want your character(picking between str/dex and so forth).

Or do these things get added the farther into the game you get?

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
mmm...I love listening to all the whine in this thread. Gets me pumped up for getting off work and enjoying the game once I get home and think of all the whiners who aren't enjoying it.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
I just started and only did the first quest but is the skill tree gone? So far it seems that skills just unlock at certain levels and you don't pick. Also leveling up you don't get to customize how you want your character(picking between str/dex and so forth).

Or do these things get added the farther into the game you get?

Did you look into the game at all before buying it? lol

There is no skill tree; you unlock skills/runes as you level and customize your loadout between all of those choices

You don't customize your stats.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
I'm actually okay with it being an online-only game, as I'm happy that it will greatly help circumvent hacking, which is the most annoying thing in the universe to me, even more so than having trouble getting in the game. It's okay, all of this stuff will be there later.

I do think it would be nice to offer some permanently offline mode for SP only (where the SP character could never go online and possibly pollute things with hacks), but that would probably open the door to easier pirating (again, who cares though, sales will still be through the roof, but this will never happen due to Blizztivision wanting the ca$h to every last dollar possible).

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
My Battletag is Merad#1742. Can we get a mod to put them all in the OP or something?

GoStumpy

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2011
How does being able to log on at your friends house and playing your character at all make up for the fact that one cannot play the game on the plane? Even if they could play on the plane, they could log on at their friend's house and play their character.

I think he's toting the fact that you can just log in and play your character.. D1 and D2 you had to have YOUR PC with you to play... D3 you can play on ANY PC.

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
I think he's toting the fact that you can just log in and play your character.. D1 and D2 you had to have YOUR PC with you to play... D3 you can play on ANY PC.

Any PC that has a stable internet connection you mean.

That takes away playing on any laptop anywhere away from home since many wi-fi networks suck so bad

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Is there any benchmarks or performance comparisons done yet? Not toms please...they just ran around the town.

I'm wondering how this game performs at various resolutions at max details.

Laithan

May 15, 2012
Here's my take, and I'm not pissed because I can't play the game (turns out servers are down now anyway) not that it makes me happy either, BUT I am a principal person and this is just rediculous!

FIRST: I have been a LONG FAITHFUL customer of Newegg since it was egghead. The *ONLY* reason I bought this game from newegg was because they offered a discount code via email. Well upon checkout of purchasing the game I was told that the discount code WAS NO LONGER VALID! Well thanks a lot NEWEGG, the old BAIT AND SWITCH game was played well. That really rubbed me the wrong way and enhanced by knowing that if I would have just pre-ordered directly from Blizzard, I would have been able to play earlier.

SECOND : I placed the order regardless because I was already "there" and expected that Newegg would honor the release date. This was a PRE-ORDER. I don't think folks at Newegg have ANY CONCEPT of what PRE-ORDER means? It MEANS you order the game in ADVANCE to ENSURE that you have a copy reserved and you can play the game as soon as it becomes available.. Well it is now past 5pm, the day is way more than half over and I still don't have a code.. Why don't they have a responsibility to adhere to release dates (if it WASN'T sold as a pre-order, different story!)?

I mean REALLY!! It isn't like you can't download the game from Blizzard... all you REALLY need is a simple code. WHY couldn't folks at NEWEGG ship the code a day in advance? Was this too hard? You can't PLAY until Blizzard UNLOCKS the Diablo world anyway. So I am waiting for a UPS guy to show up instead of getting an email with my code. And I can't even pre-load the game because that requires the code too (more salt in the wound). So now when I get the code I have to wait MORE (hour or two) for it to download on top..

Hmm.. Pre-order certainly goes along with Pre-load.. What's "PRE" about ANYTHING right now? Oh yeah, that Newegg got my MONEY "PRE".. There was ZERO advantage to a pre-order. How much interest did they make off all our money sitting in the bank? Was certainly no benefit to me.

I'm pretty upset as a customer of NEWEGG because out of principal that discount code SHOULD HAVE BEEN HONORED (I saved the email BTW) and if Newegg made a mistake it should be honored to customers regardless. THEN to top it off with making me wait an extra day IF the UPS guy even shows up today... is salt in the wound!

I agree that waiting another day, no big deal. Pissing off your customers with a bait and switch un-redeemable discount code followed by making them wait beyond what Blizzard intended for it to be in your hands is not customer service and defeats all motivators to pre-order.

I will NEVER buy a game from Newegg again, lesson learned...

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
So I finally get logged in and play about 5 minutes, and what pops up but "server shutting down in 15 minutes".

FUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFU! :mad:

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
I am not really whining, miraculously we (me/wife) can log-in now, so we're playing.
LOTS of hack and slash, and its ULTRA, ULTRA easy.

But we have fun and wife loves it.

Still waiting for the first real challenge. I think game is way too easy.

mingsoup

Golden Member
May 17, 2006
So I finally get logged in and play about 5 minutes, and what pops up but "server shutting down in 15 minutes".

FUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFUFU! :mad:

Me to. Got in about 20 minutes. My first 20 minutes.
BONG! Server shutting down. Lol.

Last edited:

frowertr

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2010
Feel sorry for you guys that waited up till 3AM EST this morning and where met with a barrage of login problems. Now if you guys are returning from work you will be facing the same thing as the servers are offline until 6:30PM EST (at least) because of more technical problems...

Glad I got my hour of playtime in around 8AM EST as it doesn't look like I will be getting any in tonight.

Adrenaline

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2005
I beat normal in under 12 hours (took breaks for the bathroom, drinks and snacks) with two others. It started off as four but one left around 20. Monk, Wizard, Barb and DH (the one that left). Act 3 is loooooooooong at some point.

I got up to killing the SK in NM then logged off due to restart.

It took me a great while to find weapons worth a crap and then it was a vendor rare for a bunch of gold. I have had fun.

I just dinged 33 on my Barbarian.

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
Did you look into the game at all before buying it? lol

There is no skill tree; you unlock skills/runes as you level and customize your loadout between all of those choices

You don't customize your stats.

thanks, nope, I didn't look into this at all. I knew I loved diablo 1 and 2, and blizzard always makes great games so I knew I was getting this either way.

I don't mind not having a skill tree as I'm sure it will work the way they made it, just was surprised they didn't include it this time. But again, Blizzard always makes quality games, I don't doubt this works well.