**OFFICIAL** Diablo 3 Thread

Page 69 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Feel sorry for you guys that waited up till 3AM EST this morning and where met with a barrage of login problems. Now if you guys are returning from work you will be facing the same thing as the servers are offline until 6:30PM EST (at least) because of more technical problems...

Glad I got my hour of playtime in around 8AM EST as it doesn't look like I will be getting any in tonight.

More like 8:30PM EST as of the latest update. Basically the game will be down for at least 10 hours on launch day. So I got to play as much as people on a laptop without WiFi :)

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
ugh.. what is this waiting in server que all about? Been in it for a while now.

edit: Just got booted. Oh well.

Last edited:

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Is there any benchmarks or performance comparisons done yet? Not toms please...they just ran around the town.

I'm wondering how this game performs at various resolutions at max details.

If it's any help I played through an hour of the early stuff with an HD6950/C2Q@3gigs, everything on full in the options, 24" monitor and was locked at 60fps everytime I glanced at my 2nd screen with afterburner graphs on.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
This whole D3 thing was a big weird mess for me. When they annoucned the always on thing, right then I decided I wont buy the game. But I did want to try it at least and was going to get a guest pass on here to just see how it was (since I missed the beta).

Well I go to the store with my mother to get something for my dad's birthday coming up and I see D3 and I check it out reading the box and etc. My mom sees it and is like didn't you like that game a lot before (meaning D2) and I say yes but I wont buy this one because of the always on thing. So we go looking around the store some and go up to the register and she pulls D3 from underneath a advertisement in her cart and bought it for me and says now you can play it.

<3 mom come home and go to play, log in make character and then I hit a queue to play...........the rage, oh the rage, I feel bad letting her make the purchase, oh the rage.

badb0y

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2010
Here's a list of Battletags I have for now:
m0viestar#1379 - HybridSquirrel
MattOfWar#1881 - Nemesis13
Cuda#1366 - Cuda1447
pantlegz#1355 - Pantlegz
GothamHunter#1610 - gothamhunter
Merad#1742 - Merad
Fenixgoon#1961 - Fenixgoon
Evro#1739 - badb0y

Should we just start another thread for tags to make it easier? Maybe the OP can update the first post with battletags if it isn't too troublesome.

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
Is it worth going out to buy the game tonight? Or are servers still down? Blizzard always has issues when they launch a new game......

If it helps any, I'm EST time.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
Is it worth going out to buy the game tonight? Or are servers still down? Blizzard always has issues when they launch a new game......

If it helps any, I'm EST time.

Depends on how much faith you have in their server team. It's down again so might as well wait. :'(

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
NOOOOOOOOOOOo we were about to kill a boss, he literally had maybe 3-4% left and the server shut down FFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Oct 19, 2000
Shit, feels like a WoW expansion. Now when (if?) the servers do come back up, everybody and their mother will be trying to log in again, causing even more issues.

I understand they have problems, but seems pretty silly given they had a beta test for months upon months.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Well my experiences I posted in other threads all put here.

First off, I played beta. Seems that having an older beta client on my PC fucked a few things up even though I uninstalled it first. Something got corrupted and left over.

So basically I downloaded to 100% ready to go last night around 6pm CST. I waited around until 2AM CST when the servers went live. I go to log on by hitting the play button from the launcher and CRASH! Crashed everytime. Callled CS immediately and still had to wait over an hour.

After much hassle, I found out what I had to clear out of my registry to get the damn thing working right. But I also had to uninstall the retail client as well and redownload it. That was annoying to say the least. Finally about 6AM CST I get to the point where I can play and am able to log in after many attempts due to the log in server still being jammed like it was in beta.

I did play in beta, but didn't think things would be this different. The graphics, story, maps, and what not were all the same. The game play was the same.

Everything else was massively different. I thought the skill tree before was dumb down. What they did was go full retard from dumb down. I hadn't been keeping up since I didn't want to spoil it anymore than that little bit of beta experience I gave myself previously. I had played all the classes though and knew I wanted to make a monk because I liked the game play. It was also the most OP class at the time :) Not expecting it to be the OP class still, but I like the game play of the class. Although tossing out a bunch of frogs with the witch doctor was humorous at least.

Anyhow, previously there had been a skill "pool" where you get skills unlocked at a certain level. Which is similar to now except back in beta you got to chose to use any skill you had unlocked and assign that skill to the hotkey of your choice. If you want to put two mantra to rotate between on your monk instead of having 3 attacks and 1 mantra you could do so. Had to go back to town to change the skills around though similar to Guild Wars.

Now you can change your skills around anywhere, but there is a delay between changing into a new skill and being able to use it. That's nice at least. However, you are stuck with the skill choices for the most part they make for you. Want two mantras to chose between? Nope. You can only have 1 mantra assigned to a hotkey at any given time. And only to the number 4 key can you assign mantras. I say it's a bit aggravating at least.

Which the choices for combos I may have liked previously for skills are no longer my choice to make. I must go with Blizzard's preconceived skill combos only. I must also go with the ergonomic button layout that the skill button developer liked most.

Also many things became massive on money sinks. Loot from stores causes WAY more. I was expecting some increase, but this was massive. Blue items from Tristam used to go for 300-600 gold. Now they are 1600-2500 gold. Loot used to sell for a decent amount back. White junk picked up near Tristam would sell for about 20-40 gold or so a pop. Now they sell for 2 gold a pop.

The crafting system was changed to a massive money sink before. Previously you would just salvage stuff to get enough parts to upgrade your ranks in crafting. Now you have to pay a pretty heft amount every time you do any upgrade step on your ability to craft. That and crafting each item costs WAY more than it used to. There were the component costs, which went up a little bit, but there was a small coin cost previously as well. It was something like 50-400 gold depending on the item and level. Now the cheapest gold crafting cost I saw was 638. Ugh!

I have to pay 2K-4K per upgrade at low ranks (don't have enough for higher ranks yet to know how much steeper these costs get) and retarded amounts of money to even craft an item.

Only way to do this reliably is to keep playing the same content over and over again. I guess that is out Blizzard expects to get replay value out of this game. Seems a bit greedy on their part to me.

Sixguns

Platinum Member
May 22, 2011
For someone who has never played Diablo, Ill be starting with Diable 3 tonight. What are some tips or what type of gameplay is it like. I got it for free with my WoW annual pass so I figured Id try it out.

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
For someone who has never played Diablo, Ill be starting with Diable 3 tonight. What are some tips or what type of gameplay is it like. I got it for free with my WoW annual pass so I figured Id try it out.

If you can get it to work. Just installed the game and the servers are down.

micaturbo

Aug 21, 2004
Well my experiences I posted in other threads all put here.

First off, I played beta. Seems that having an older beta client on my PC fucked a few things up even though I uninstalled it first. Something got corrupted and left over.

So basically I downloaded to 100% ready to go last night around 6pm CST. I waited around until 2AM CST when the servers went live. I go to log on by hitting the play button from the launcher and CRASH! Crashed everytime. Callled CS immediately and still had to wait over an hour.

After much hassle, I found out what I had to clear out of my registry to get the damn thing working right. But I also had to uninstall the retail client as well and redownload it. That was annoying to say the least. Finally about 6AM CST I get to the point where I can play and am able to log in after many attempts due to the log in server still being jammed like it was in beta.

I did play in beta, but didn't think things would be this different. The graphics, story, maps, and what not were all the same. The game play was the same.

Everything else was massively different. I thought the skill tree before was dumb down. What they did was go full retard from dumb down. I hadn't been keeping up since I didn't want to spoil it anymore than that little bit of beta experience I gave myself previously. I had played all the classes though and knew I wanted to make a monk because I liked the game play. It was also the most OP class at the time :) Not expecting it to be the OP class still, but I like the game play of the class. Although tossing out a bunch of frogs with the witch doctor was humorous at least.

Anyhow, previously there had been a skill "pool" where you get skills unlocked at a certain level. Which is similar to now except back in beta you got to chose to use any skill you had unlocked and assign that skill to the hotkey of your choice. If you want to put two mantra to rotate between on your monk instead of having 3 attacks and 1 mantra you could do so. Had to go back to town to change the skills around though similar to Guild Wars.

Now you can change your skills around anywhere, but there is a delay between changing into a new skill and being able to use it. That's nice at least. However, you are stuck with the skill choices for the most part they make for you. Want two mantras to chose between? Nope. You can only have 1 mantra assigned to a hotkey at any given time. And only to the number 4 key can you assign mantras. I say it's a bit aggravating at least.

Which the choices for combos I may have liked previously for skills are no longer my choice to make. I must go with Blizzard's preconceived skill combos only. I must also go with the ergonomic button layout that the skill button developer liked most.

Also many things became massive on money sinks. Loot from stores causes WAY more. I was expecting some increase, but this was massive. Blue items from Tristam used to go for 300-600 gold. Now they are 1600-2500 gold. Loot used to sell for a decent amount back. White junk picked up near Tristam would sell for about 20-40 gold or so a pop. Now they sell for 2 gold a pop.

The crafting system was changed to a massive money sink before. Previously you would just salvage stuff to get enough parts to upgrade your ranks in crafting. Now you have to pay a pretty heft amount every time you do any upgrade step on your ability to craft. That and crafting each item costs WAY more than it used to. There were the component costs, which went up a little bit, but there was a small coin cost previously as well. It was something like 50-400 gold depending on the item and level. Now the cheapest gold crafting cost I saw was 638. Ugh!

I have to pay 2K-4K per upgrade at low ranks (don't have enough for higher ranks yet to know how much steeper these costs get) and retarded amounts of money to even craft an item.

Only way to do this reliably is to keep playing the same content over and over again. I guess that is out Blizzard expects to get replay value out of this game. Seems a bit greedy on their part to me.

I can understand uninstalling the retail client to fix issues, but redownloading it? I don't think that was really necessary.

As for skills, they have a noob mode enabled by default so new players can properly choose skill loadouts and not do things like choose all finishers on a monk with no way to generate spirit. There's an option to disable it and then you can choose whatever you want.

HOOfan 1

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2007
Shit, feels like a WoW expansion. Now when (if?) the servers do come back up, everybody and their mother will be trying to log in again, causing even more issues.

I understand they have problems, but seems pretty silly given they had a beta test for months upon months.

I thought Blizzard was always known for releasing games with absolute polish. After all it was in development for 6+ years...

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I'm not getting the game for a week and I don't have time for it right now anyway. Hopefully I should avoid these server issues.

Thanks WelshBloke for that quick performance info. Seems as I expected, mid range systems can handle it.

HOOfan 1

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2007
Pretty sure nobody knows Blizzard for smooth launches. Great games, yes, but only after the first couple of days.

Well, I've never played World of Warcraft...so I wouldn't know about problems with those launches, but back in the day with the original Diablos and Starcraft etc. they were always know for launching a polished game.

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
just got home, received my D3 copy in the mail from newegg, put in the keys to my bnet account says my copy is global region, nice! even come w/ a D3 phone pad.

but ... try to log on says bnet down for maintenance! this doesn't look too good down on the first try!

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
I can understand uninstalling the retail client to fix issues, but redownloading it? I don't think that was really necessary.

As for skills, they have a noob mode enabled by default so new players can properly choose skill loadouts and not do things like choose all finishers on a monk with no way to generate spirit. There's an option to disable it and then you can choose whatever you want.

I don't have the box version. I only bought the digital version. To install the digital version you have to download it from scratch every time.