**OFFICIAL** Diablo 3 Thread

Page 328 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I finally found a build that was doable with my Barb in Inferno (LoH with those tornado things), and I got through Act 1 without too many headaches. When I got to Act 2, and ran into an Elite Fallen type pack, with fire chains, illusion (whatever the one is that splits into multiples), and a couple other annoying mods, I got them all down to 1 mob, after what seemed like forever, and then I got my first taste of that "Out of Time"/Enrage debuff. I died within like 2 tics of that debuff, and as I came back from town to try to finish that lone monster off, and died every time, I decided that wast it for me. That kinda game is not "fun".

I will definitely be checking things out after 1.04 comes out; will probably be giving my WD another try, as I really liked my WD when pets were actually worth having out.

exactly. i was in act 2 inferno and just got tired of running into a elite that you could not kill. Add in the drops suck the combination just make for a very unfun game.

Adrenaline

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2005
How is that ring (hopkey posted) worth 10-15m, especially with better legendaries coming out?

From what I've seen there are just a bunch of aggressive young nerds running blizz forums, enforcing their "dominance" any chance they can.

That ring is bis and most likely not going to be redone. There is no need to as it is just fine as of now.

Adrenaline

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2005
I think with the max life steal you can get/roll vs. LOH, LOH will always be better. Life steal is good as a secondary stat to LOH. I'd rather roll IAS, primary stat, and LOH over Life steal any day.

Life steal surpasses LoH when you hit a certain amount of damage. When I am Bashing, I do over 200k on crits and when I am WW I am hitting so darn hard and fast it is ridiculous. I could go to life steal now if I wanted but it does not matter to me.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Well my DH can now farm act 2 reasonably well. Act 3 is still a joke though. I can progress through the regular stuff in co-op, but as soon as we hit an elite, I am toast.

JJ650

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2000
I finally found a build that was doable with my Barb in Inferno (LoH with those tornado things), and I got through Act 1 without too many headaches. When I got to Act 2, and ran into an Elite Fallen type pack, with fire chains, illusion (whatever the one is that splits into multiples), and a couple other annoying mods, I got them all down to 1 mob, after what seemed like forever, and then I got my first taste of that "Out of Time"/Enrage debuff. I died within like 2 tics of that debuff, and as I came back from town to try to finish that lone monster off, and died every time, I decided that wast it for me. That kinda game is not "fun".

I will definitely be checking things out after 1.04 comes out; will probably be giving my WD another try, as I really liked my WD when pets were actually worth having out.

Illusionist mobs are great for the double WW builds. It gives you that many more procs on crit hits, giving you even more fury/LoH. I like seeing those. Fury really pours in when they spawn a pack.
Fire chains mobs arent bad either. The trick for them is keeping them coralled as tight as possible. Just do WW circles around the pack and occaisonally thru them. If you have the right crit chance and LoH, they should come down easily.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
same. i quit about a month ago. when 1.04 comes out i will try it again.

fact of the matter the game is not fun at the high levels.

I guess I don't see what was fun about D2 at high levels though. Not only was the progress pointless (because Hell difficulty simply was not difficult) but it took ages (yes, finding high end gear still took a long time and levelling took literally thousands of runs once you hit 85-90ish). And all the while, it wasn't even fun to play. I'm sure some people enjoyed it, but "click click click click click click click check the loot new game" just didn't do it for me.

Inferno was first and foremost a big fat gear check, but they also designed your skills to be more interactive (movement abilities, useful CC abilities, useful defensive "oh shit" buttons) and they designed the enemies so that those kinds of non-offensive abilities mattered. Enemies were dangerous and more varied; ultimately it made for a much more satisfying experience imo.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Illusionist mobs are great for the double WW builds. It gives you that many more procs on crit hits, giving you even more fury/LoH. I like seeing those. Fury really pours in when they spawn a pack.
Fire chains mobs arent bad either. The trick for them is keeping them coralled as tight as possible. Just do WW circles around the pack and occaisonally thru them. If you have the right crit chance and LoH, they should come down easily.

Yeah illusionist is probably my favourite affix for elites.

Reflect damage is easily my least favourite.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
for all your critical mass wizards, 1.04 is reducing ww procs so you'll need about 80% crit vs the current 30% in order to viably do a wizard tank build. So better go back to your kiting builds.

So much for diversifying builds eh?

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Anyone see all that drama about Jay Wilson's comment about David Brevik's (creator of the Diablo series) interview?

Honestly I don't think Brevik said anything nasty about D3, certainly not nearly as bad as all the fucking forum whiners say. Then a bunch of current D3 team members get all pissy on Facebook, including Jay Wilson, who goes "Fuck that loser". LOL. Bitches.

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
for all your critical mass wizards, 1.04 is reducing ww procs so you'll need about 80% crit vs the current 30% in order to viably do a wizard tank build. So better go back to your kiting builds.

So much for diversifying builds eh?

They halved the proc coefficient - why would you need 80 instead of 60?

darkxshade

Lifer
Mar 31, 2001
From bnet regarding AH updates.

Over the last few days, we've seen a lot of requests from players for us to make improvements to the auction house. We've also seen questions regarding what, if any, changes are being made to the AH in 1.0.4. While we've already talked about many of the updates we have planned, we know some players may have missed those discussions. So, rather than make you wait for the patch notes, we've put together a list of everything that's changing in 1.0.4 for you below.

Take a look:

General Improvements:

• Players can now cancel their auctions at any point so long they do not have any active bids on them (it will still take five minutes for a listed auction to become searchable, however).
  • We've increased the maximum stack size of gold per listing from 100,000 to 1,000,000. The current minimum listing price will remain the same per stack.
  • We've added description text to several error messages. We've also improved several existing descriptions so that they more clearly describe why you've encountered an error.
Search Improvements:

• We're upping the allowed number of "Preferred Stats" per search from 3 to 6.
  • We're upping the number of digits you can enter in the "Min Value" field for equipment searches from 3 to 5 (i.e. you can now search for values > 999).
  • We've replaced “Minimum Damage” with “Average Damage” as a searchable stat, which can be calculated as follows: (Min Damage + Max Damage) / 2. So, for example, searching for an Average Damage of 12 will find an item with 10-14 damage, 12 Minimum damage, or 24 Maximum damage.
  • Stat increases which come from slotted gems will no longer be factored in when searching for equipment. Instead, your search criteria will only take into account the base stat values for an item.
  • Armor, DPS, Buyout, and Time Left columns are now sortable columns in the Search tab.
UI Improvements:

• The Auctions tab and Completed tab will now refresh whenever one of your items has been purchased.
  • Whenever an auction expires or is cancelled, the listing price of that item will now display in the Completed tab.
  • Tooltips have been added for items in the Completed tab (which means you'll be able to see the stats of the items you've purchased or sold, as well as items which failed to sell or were cancelled).
  • Tooltips have been added for commodities.
  • Item Compare tooltips have been added to the Recommended Items page.
In addition to these improvements, we're also fixing several bugs with the auction house UI and functionality (many of which you reported on these forums).

Bug Fixes:

• Auction house filters are no longer case-sensitive.
  • Players can now search for stats on Legendary items! Yay!
  • The Recommended Items page will now display quivers for demon hunters even if you have a two-handed ranged weapon equipped.
  • Witch doctor's Corpse Spider bonus is now listed when searching for mojos.
  • And, last but not least, we've fixed several issues with affixes not displaying correctly or being unavailable for equipment searches:
    • "Attack Speed" is now a searchable affix for quivers
    • Items with the "Level Requirement Reduced" affix will now properly appear in search results when specifying the level range
    • Searches will now properly filter results according to the set Minimum and Maximum values for"Life per Spirit Spent"
And there you have it! Please note that this isn’t a preview, and that the above list represents every change we are making to the auction house in 1.0.4. While the list is exhaustive for this patch, it's definitely not the end of the road -- we still have additional improvements planned for 1.1.0 and for the long-term. We don't have a lot of juicy details to share right now on that front, but we'll be sure to provide more information as development continues

Nov 3, 2004
Anyone see all that drama about Jay Wilson's comment about David Brevik's (creator of the Diablo series) interview?

Honestly I don't think Brevik said anything nasty about D3, certainly not nearly as bad as all the fucking forum whiners say. Then a bunch of current D3 team members get all pissy on Facebook, including Jay Wilson, who goes "Fuck that loser". LOL. Bitches.

http://i.imgur.com/wfySr.png

Pretty much the only reason their game even sold copies was because of the successes of Brevik's Diablo 1/2. And most of Brevik's problems with the game have borne out to be true, esp. with regards to the loot system and dungeon crawling aspect. Jay Wilson arrogance is the reason why we even needed a 1.04.

darkxshade

Lifer
Mar 31, 2001
MF & end game update:

While working on patch 1.0.4, we came up with all sorts of ideas for ways to improve Diablo III. Some of them you’ve probably already seen, such as the general systems changes, the awesome buffs for Legendaries, and the improvements we’re making to the barbarian, demon hunter, monk, witch doctor, and wizard. The entire team really banded together to get as much into this patch as possible, and one of the exciting changes I’d like to tell you about today is called the Paragon system.

Two of the issues we’ve been thinking about while working on patch 1.0.4 have been what to do with Magic Find and how to give level-60 players who aren’t satisfied with the item hunt something more to strive for. I’m sure many of you are aware of the blog we posted proposing some different Magic Find gear-swapping solutions, as well as our general thoughts on how rewarding the game is once you hit level 60. The Paragon system is designed to help us address these concerns -- but before we get into exactly how it works, let’s go over these two core issues in a little more detail.

Magic Find
As you may remember, we posed a number of possible solutions to the gear-swapping issue and asked you to give us your feedback. While we saw some support for a couple of the options, what your responses ultimately told us was that although having to swap into Magic Find gear mid-fight annoyed some of you greatly, others were ambivalent, didn’t gear swap themselves, or -- in a few cases -- wanted to see gear-swappers penalized in some fashion. Those who do swap gear generally do so for the raw power advantage it gives, so we wanted any solution we went with to provide the same level of power. Overall, our analysis of the situation really hammered home one stark truth: we needed to come up with a way to make our Magic Find system more fun.

Level 60 Rewards
We understand that some players feel frustrated once they hit level 60 because they no longer feel like they’re making progress. It can be demoralizing to play for an hour, not get any drops, and also be out a big chunk of gold from repair costs. Your play session may not only end without an upgrade, it can wind up being a net loss. Everyone wants to feel like they’re making some progress when they log in, even if they don’t get that new sword.
N4RDG0MBQLNA1345154437688.png

Introducing the Paragon System
The new Paragon system coming in patch 1.0.4 is designed to address Magic Find gear-swapping while providing players who’ve reached level 60 with an extended progression system.

Here’s how it works:
  • After you hit level 60, any further experience you earn from killing monsters will begin to count toward Paragon levels
  • There are 100 Paragon levels
  • Every Paragon level will reward you with:
    • Core stats such as Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, and Vitality in amounts similar to what you’d gain from a normal level
    • 3% Magic Find and 3% Gold Find
  • In addition, a distinctive increasingly-impressive border will surround your character portrait in the in-game party frame to denote your Paragon progression, with a new frame earned after every ten levels. Your Paragon level will also be visible to other players wherever your normal level is shown
We know that a lot of you out there are level 60 -- maybe on multiple characters -- and this system provides a way to make progress every time you log in to the game.

To support the new system, Nephalem Valor (NV) will now also provide a 15% experience bonus per stack, applicable toward Paragon levels. The first Paragon level should take about as long as it took most players to get from level 59 to 60, and the experience requirement will rise from there. The time to reach the upper Paragon levels approximates the long-term time investment required to get a level 99 character in Diablo II.

… What Was That About Magic Find On Items?
While the benefits to progression are obvious, you may be asking how this impacts Magic Find on items. We wanted to find a solution that was not only very forgiving of gear swapping, but one that would ultimately help us slowly and gently move Magic Find off of items in the future. It’s such an intrinsically important stat to the core purpose of playing the game that tying it to gear -- which is a customization system in many ways -- is ultimately an approach that would continue to cause problems. We need to transition away from it, and do so in a way that doesn’t flip the entire game end-over-end.
With the Paragon system in place, we’re capping Magic Find and Gold Find to 300% (before Nephalem Valor). This means that without any Magic Find gear at all, you’ll hit the cap when you reach Paragon level 100. This way, you can continue wearing your current Magic Find gear as you slowly but surely work to gain Paragon levels. Eventually, once you hit Paragon level 100, you’ll have the freedom to completely focus every slot on stats that help your character kill stuff faster and stay alive longer. The idea is that if you’re currently swapping gear in and out for the Magic Find bonuses, you can continue to do so… but gain enough Paragon levels, and you won’t need to anymore.

Phew…
The Paragon system is a fairly big addition to the game, and one we’re pretty excited about. On behalf of the entire Diablo III development team, we hope you enjoy the changes we’re making with patch 1.0.4, and we look forward to seeing you in-game when it releases. Stay tuned to Diablo3.com for the final patch notes and official launch announcement in the days ahead.

Jay Wilson is Game Director for Diablo III, and his Necron army is WAY better than your Eldar army.

Last edited:

darkxshade

Lifer
Mar 31, 2001
The paragon system is crazy. I like it though but it feels like Inferno is going to be ridiculously easy now.

Now I have to decide if I should continue with my monk or barb... leaning towards the barb. :\

Last edited:

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
Well thats awesome.. the Paragon system effectively destroys all my MF gear in the long run. Most of my equip had MF already so I didn't have to swap.. ugh

darkxshade

Lifer
Mar 31, 2001
Well thats awesome.. the Paragon system effectively destroys all my MF gear in the long run. Most of my equip had MF already so I didn't have to swap.. ugh

true but it's effectively getting to lvl 99 in d2 so you're not entirely screwed. If anything, it works out for you since you're already prepped for the next 100 paragon levels.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Eh, I'm sure a lot of people will like it (omg more levelzzz) and I think allowing your character to transition away from Magic Find gear is a nice touch but "more to grind" definitely isn't enticing to me.

Also I only read the transcript and it wasn't too bad, but real heavy on the passive aggressive jabs. Like, either out and say it or don't dude.

akahoovy

Golden Member
May 1, 2011
Eh, I'm sure a lot of people will like it (omg more levelzzz) and I think allowing your character to transition away from Magic Find gear is a nice touch but "more to grind" definitely isn't enticing to me.

Also I only read the transcript and it wasn't too bad, but real heavy on the passive aggressive jabs. Like, either out and say it or don't dude.

He was being civil and keeping it light. I'm sure he's well aware of how Hellgate is remembered.

badb0y

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2010

Original interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT_XiT2mifo

Jay's response:
fthatloser.jpg

Aftermath:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqXltcnOMCY

Last edited:

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
He was being civil and keeping it light. I'm sure he's well aware of how Hellgate is remembered.

I wish Flagship would've made Mythos their flagship. :p

Stat increases which come from slotted gems will no longer be factored in when searching for equipment. Instead, your search criteria will only take into account the base stat values for an item.

I am rather glad to see this and the 6 stat change!

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002

http://i.imgur.com/wfySr.png

Pretty much the only reason their game even sold copies was because of the successes of Brevik's Diablo 1/2. And most of Brevik's problems with the game have borne out to be true, esp. with regards to the loot system and dungeon crawling aspect. Jay Wilson arrogance is the reason why we even needed a 1.04.

Pretty much says all you need to know about Jay Wilson. What a dick. And this current diablo team should have much thicker skin by now with the insane amount of whining going on about the game. Pretty disconcerning for a guy who's been defending D3 for the most part. Looks like they're definitely moving in the right direction with the patch though. It's just lame that the original diablo team got axed and a bunch of immature dopes got the job to make diablo 3. Not sure what Blizz was thinking. Blizzard used to be king now Valve is way ahead of them in terms of pretty much everything.

They pretty much added all my suggestions to the new and improved AH (cancel bids anytime as long as there are no bidders, preferred stats column going from 3 to 6) but I'm sure everyone was making the same requests. Only thing they didn't add I would like to see is an ebay-like watch list for items you want to follow. Right now the only way to really track an item is to bid on it.

Paragon system is cool and gives much more motivation for playing level 60 characters. Most people can hit level 60 in about 20 hours, which is pretty crazy. But just to get to paragon level 1 (or 2, not sure which) is about the same needed going from 59 to level 60, and experience needed goes up each level? Damn that's gonna take a looooong time to get to paragon 100.

Act 2 is by far the most hated Act of them all, so I'd like to see them make some big changes to it in the future. Act 2 is very very tedious and boring right now.

Anyways, patch 1.0.4 can't come soon enough.

Last edited: