**OFFICIAL** Diablo 3 Thread

Page 326 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Witch Doctors needed buffs in sooo many areas, Pets have been just completely pathetic since launch. Sounds like Blizz is going in the right direction in many ways with 1.0.4.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I thought the wd was an odd char in the little I played of it inn beta. Now that I've completed normal with one I've found it to be a rather interesting class. Kinda fun running with 6 pets out distracting things while you just toss spiders and other nasties around.

I do get some lulz out of their discussion with the patch changes though. If you have now determined the pets suck past normal....what exactly were you testing prior to release. All of these "post normal" realizations for just about every class seems to imply scary things about the in house testing.

darkxshade

Lifer
Mar 31, 2001
I thought the wd was an odd char in the little I played of it inn beta. Now that I've completed normal with one I've found it to be a rather interesting class. Kinda fun running with 6 pets out distracting things while you just toss spiders and other nasties around.

I do get some lulz out of their discussion with the patch changes though. If you have now determined the pets suck past normal....what exactly were you testing prior to release. All of these "post normal" realizations for just about every class seems to imply scary things about the in house testing.

I think they originally intended for Inferno to be damn near impossible... which they achieved but eventually that all backfired since everyone expects to be able to do it on the cheap. They made accomodations to 1.03 but I think they completely caved in 1.04 with the mass exodus of players.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
But before you get to inferno, you still have nm & hell and they are talking about skills/abilities/play styles now being useless in those areas.

darkxshade

Lifer
Mar 31, 2001
Yea I don't have a WD so I can't comment further but I always was under the impression that even before 1.03, WD was one of the easiest to gear and lvl to inferno.

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
yeah i found a perfect star amethyst plan, and saw it sells for 800k+ which is pretty dandy. But I have a million tomes of secrets or whatever so I'm wondering if I could learn the plan and have it be profitable. Seems unlikely. Blizz takes a big cut, I understand the %15 for the RMAH, but on gold? Shrug, I guess there's probably a reason for it.

Also selling a templar relic with 240 vit and the bid is currently at 120k, I almost just threw it away :p Didn't know follower relics could be worth anything substantial.

Fallengod

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
Blizz takes a big cut, I understand the %15 for the RMAH, but on gold? Shrug, I guess there's probably a reason for it.

That shit has rubbed me the wrong way since day one as well. Why do they need to take fees from virtual game gold? It makes no sense. What are they doing with the gold they make from fees, putting it in some virtual stash? I dont get it. I understand fees for RMAH, but the reason behind the fees on gold has eluded me. One of the many reasons I lost interest in the game.

Last edited:

darkxshade

Lifer
Mar 31, 2001
That shit has rubbed me the wrong way since day one as well. Why do they need to take fees from virtual game gold? It makes no sense. What are they doing with the gold they make from fees? Putting it in some virtual stash? I dont get it. One of the many reasons I lost interest in the game.

The AH fee is the half assed attempt to create a gold sink to stabilize the economy. If it didn't exist, everything would probably cost twice as much as it is now. It sort of works in a way that eventually, inflation of items get so high that the daily removal of gold due to the 15% fee is greater than the amount of gold created from farming. I think they've pretty much hit that target now, some things are ridiculously expensive and every now and again, items sell for 100m or more but on the whole, your average high ticket item goes in the 25-50m range.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
That shit has rubbed me the wrong way since day one as well. Why do they need to take fees from virtual game gold? It makes no sense. What are they doing with the gold they make from fees? Putting it in some virtual stash? I dont get it. One of the many reasons I lost interest in the game. I understand fees for RMAH, but the gold fee idea has eluded me.

It disappears. It's done as a deflationary measure to counteract the persistent gold creation by allowing for some amount of persistent gold destruction. It also encourages the use of non-AH trading by allowing an item to be priced lower (good for buyers) but still have more net gold return to the seller (good for sellers).

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I've always wondered about that fuckin GAH fee too; thanks for the explanation. Economics has always eluded me. :confused:

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
My gold is not selling anymore... Lack of players or everyone just has way too damn much. Threw on my regular 400k yesterday, and no bite. Put on a few million 2 weeks ago, and only half sold. It use to go reliable within 24 hours.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
The AH fee is the half assed attempt to create a gold sink to stabilize the economy. If it didn't exist, everything would probably cost twice as much as it is now. It sort of works in a way that eventually, inflation of items get so high that the daily removal of gold due to the 15% fee is greater than the amount of gold created from farming. I think they've pretty much hit that target now, some things are ridiculously expensive and every now and again, items sell for 100m or more but on the whole, your average high ticket item goes in the 25-50m range.

I think it would work better if they had a percentage based fee for listing an item. That would help keep prices in check and remove more gold. Otherwise bots just keep dumping more gold into the market at a faster rate than players can add worthwhile items that become increasingly difficult to afford.

On the other hand, mediocre gear (which used to be considered incredibly good) becomes dirt cheap so it's possible to do inferno without having a lot of money.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
My gold is not selling anymore... Lack of players or everyone just has way too damn much. Threw on my regular 400k yesterday, and no bite. Put on a few million 2 weeks ago, and only half sold. It use to go reliable within 24 hours.

Eventually the $2.50 set floor price will be too high relative to the price available from a 3rd party to justify the convenience and 'safety' of the transaction.

Isn't it approaching or below $1 per 1M now?

darkxshade

Lifer
Mar 31, 2001
I think it would work better if they had a percentage based fee for listing an item. That would help keep prices in check and remove more gold. Otherwise bots just keep dumping more gold into the market at a faster rate than players can add worthwhile items that become increasingly difficult to afford.

On the other hand, mediocre gear (which used to be considered incredibly good) becomes dirt cheap so it's possible to do inferno without having a lot of money.

Personally I wouldn't have much issue with that but the problem is that the population at large are relatively poor so there would be a big stink about it. Many can't afford gear as it is much less a front loaded fee for something they might not sell. Plus most people have no idea what anything is worth. With a front loaded fee, you might also have less auctions(which might be a good thing) but less auctions means less outflow of gold.

Eventually the $2.50 set floor price will be too high relative to the price available from a 3rd party to justify the convenience and 'safety' of the transaction.

Isn't it approaching or below $1 per 1M now?

It's about $1.5/m... a great way to convert the current going rate is just to take the current price of a radiant star gem on the GAH and divide the by the cash price of the same gem in the RMAH.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
I think they originally intended for Inferno to be damn near impossible... which they achieved but eventually that all backfired since everyone expects to be able to do it on the cheap. They made accomodations to 1.03 but I think they completely caved in 1.04 with the mass exodus of players.

Inerfno's difficulty was pretty stupid. Diablo 3 had absolutely no ramping of difficulty... went from 'you can watch TV on a second monitor (normal through hell) to retarded.

But, I highly doubt that is the reason most people left, and not the reason I left. It just isn't Diablo to me.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Inerfno's difficulty was pretty stupid. Diablo 3 had absolutely no ramping of difficulty... went from 'you can watch TV on a second monitor (normal through hell) to retarded.

But, I highly doubt that is the reason most people left, and not the reason I left. It just isn't Diablo to me.

On the other hand, Inferno is the only reason I played as long as I did.

MBentz

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2005
I've decided I'm going to download the game tomorrow morning after I get off work. Any quick tips for a nub whose never played a Diablo game before?

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005

It would be perfectly find if Inferno were almost impossible if all the best loot didn't drop from Inferno. That was their biggest mistake.

JumBie

Golden Member
May 2, 2011
I've decided I'm going to download the game tomorrow morning after I get off work. Any quick tips for a nub whose never played a Diablo game before?

Don't bother farming just head straight to the RMAH for all your gear needs.

HopJokey

Platinum Member
May 6, 2005
Don't bother farming just head straight to the RMAH for all your gear needs.

Speaking of farming, I just found one of these during an Act 1 farm run:

Capture.jpg

I think it will fetch 15M?