Official AT Guild Wars 2 Guild Thread

Page 30 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
on the warrior greatsword IMO is the clear winner, spec for crit, faceroll.
2 axes can be fun but greatswords damage output is so much better, maces technically hit harder but have worse skills

I really like warrior GS--but also enjoy sword/axe. Hammer was my favorite during beta, but I need to put more time into the warrior, some time in the near future. I like the mace skills just fine--bash and stun. what's not to like?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I think the issue might be that the game thinks I am in combat....

this happens sometimes if you have run past a mob, or if you have DoT damage still on you. But even if I cleanse the conditions, sometimes it keeps me in combat.

The game will think you're in combat if you see your health not regenerating, and the little arrows above your utility skill bar are not available.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
One of the reasons skills will be X'ed out underwater is that the game deems them inappropriate for underwater combat. Most of my thief skills are that way. Caltrops, traps, etc etc.

yep.

Edited: all but one of my elites are unavailable for underwater combat.

Last edited:

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
I play my Guardian like a Warrior, as in I hardly use the Guardian specific skills (F1-F3, 7-9) at level 20.. wonder if I should reroll.

qwertyaas

Jul 19, 2007
Rolled a Human Warrior and playing with GS/Rifle. Really liking the class so far. Was going to go Charr but armor [helmets] looks... odd on them. Thinking I'll be sticking to the Warrior after going Elementalist and Mesmer. I'll probably go back to those after.

dougp

Diamond Member
May 3, 2002
I play my Guardian like a Warrior, as in I hardly use the Guardian specific skills (F1-F3, 7-9) at level 20.. wonder if I should reroll.

Most Guardians tend to ignore the F1-3 skills, as they provide little-to-no rewards for being activated versus their passive effect. As for the other skill slots, I'd recommend Signet of Judgement and Save Yourselves! - most of the time I ran with Sword of Justice for the extra DPS, but I've switched to Signet of Wrath.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
my warrior is almost 50 and is a charr and TBH armor on him looks pretty bland, it could be that i just have bland armor but it looks like im wearing a leather tunic FFS

i generally run GS/Bow simply because the bow skill tied to F1 is amazing when doing events where there are a lot of mobs spawning. XP just rolls in like its coming out of a firehose

I4AT

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2006
Do boon durations stack whenever a new one is cast/proc'd, or does the latest one override and apply? For example, an engineer drinks an Elixir B and gains swiftness for 10 seconds, then a couple seconds later drops a Stimulant from the Med Kit. Does he now have ~18 seconds of swiftness, or 10?

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
Do boon durations stack whenever a new one is cast/proc'd, or does the latest one override and apply? For example, an engineer drinks an Elixir B and gains swiftness for 10 seconds, then a couple seconds later drops a Stimulant from the Med Kit. Does he now have ~18 seconds of swiftness, or 10?

From what I can tell, its stacks. "increasing the duration" of conditions and boons.

However I am not certain on the damage/healing aspect.

If X does Y condition damage over Z. And I place another (of the same condition) A that does B damage over C. Is it just a duration increase of the first spell, or does it use the higher condition damage, or does it average out?

Also I didnt see this before until yesterday. The 4 elements of the elementalist have tooltips now.

Fire: High damage spells with conditions
Water: High support and healing abilities
Air: High damage spells with control
Earth: High protection and good damage on conditions.

(Something like that)

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Depends on the buff. Some stack 'intensity" which means the potency of the effect increases (such as might, I think this also resets the duration) and some simply stack duration (such as wrath). I don't know off hand if any don't stack at all, but if you just mouse over the icon it'll tell you. I still have no idea how/if DoTs stack however; haven't paid enough attention.

Guardian F abilities are pretty bleh until/unless you get any traits to enhance them. Radiance traits allow you to reset Justice whenever you kill an enemy which is pretty nice for PVE at least.

kypron77

Mar 7, 2009
Hi, I've got an elementalist. Kypron.6057 on stormbluff. Please add me to the list, and send guild invite. (Still figuring out how to join guilds??)

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Well yeaterday I uped my Weaponsmithing to 155 and I saw that I could craft some really nice weapons.

My Armorsmithing is at 25-30 lol...so tonight i'll do lots of it and try to craft so cool armors.

Armorsmiths: Do you get to craft some nice looking amors later on? I'm currently level 48 and all the armors I got were all looking similar...

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
my warrior is almost 50 and is a charr and TBH armor on him looks pretty bland, it could be that i just have bland armor but it looks like im wearing a leather tunic FFS

i generally run GS/Bow simply because the bow skill tied to F1 is amazing when doing events where there are a lot of mobs spawning. XP just rolls in like its coming out of a firehose

range is mostly your oh shit feature.
Throwing your GS... the 4 key in GS skill does more damage then your rain of fire arrows if ur target isnt sitting in 1 spot fo you to dps.
If it is... your best rushing your target with 5, and then poping HB, #2 over using any ranged weapon period.

time gets extended.
Ive had 2 people cast swift on me, and the only time i saw it stack was when quickness was casted.

Hi, I've got an elementalist. Kypron.6057 on stormbluff. Please add me to the list, and send guild invite. (Still figuring out how to join guilds??)

pm Kuzunoha.

Also about the armor...
Its all generic until u get special recipies.
Then it changes when u get to the exotic class.
GW2kuzu.jpg

The helm is crafted.. the skirt is also crafted... everything else was bought with karma.

And yes she is full Exotic geared out.

Well yeaterday I uped my Weaponsmithing to 155 and I saw that I could craft some really nice weapons.

My Armorsmithing is at 25-30 lol...so tonight i'll do lots of it and try to craft so cool armors.

Armorsmiths: Do you get to craft some nice looking amors later on? I'm currently level 48 and all the armors I got were all looking similar...

i made that mistake too.
in honestly i should of gone armorsmithing b4 weaponsmithing..
I am 400 WS, and a couple others in our guild are too, so crafting u items isnt a problem.
Just tell me what lvl u are, along with what properties you are going after, and the weapon can be crafted.

The thing is, at lvl80, u can only craft at most 3 weapons if u dont go range.
While in armor you have 6 pieces you can make at exotic lvl.

Last edited:

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
range is mostly your oh shit feature.
Throwing your GS... the 4 key in GS skill does more damage then your rain of fire arrows if ur target isnt sitting in 1 spot fo you to dps.
If it is... your best rushing your target with 5, and then poping HB, #2 over using any ranged weapon period.

which is how i play in general, but if there is an event with waves of mobs, tagging everyone with the rain of fire and then swapping over to GS to do kill results in much more exp. simply because it hits everything

on single mobs generally charge-auto-HB will kill most things if not either WW or F1 or another auto will finish them off

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
which is how i play in general, but if there is an event with waves of mobs, tagging everyone with the rain of fire and then swapping over to GS to do kill results in much more exp. simply because it hits everything

on single mobs generally charge-auto-HB will kill most things if not either WW or F1 or another auto will finish them off

This is only viable until u get to the lvl70 maps.
Then u got multipul warriors throwing there sword, following up with a whirlwind killing things faster then even elementalists spamming AoE's to oblivion.

If you dont believe me, ask Hakuryu.

Cursed shore is dominated by warriors.
Why? cuz warriors and gaurdians are the only class which can go from one corner of the map to the other killing everything in a straight line and not die.

In an event in cursed shore, u see warriors camping spawn points so elementalists are even left to kick the can in boredom.
Mesmers are always left out in the cold... they got 1 skill which they can pop b4 everything dies, and even then, its still hard tagging a mob with enough damage to get loot credit for it.

And none of the warriors in CS is primary range, there 95% GS's because the only way we can beat out an elementalist, is throwing your sword, and then following though a whirlwind.
Which on my warrior is effectively arround 10-12k damage... 3-4k on the throw, another 3-4k on the return, and 3-4k on the whirl...

Add another warrior... group = DEAD unless its a veteran or champion, which then you see all the warriors tell the elementalist, have fun dpsing while we go look for another spawn mob to charge into and repeat our cycle.

Last edited:

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
Most Guardians tend to ignore the F1-3 skills, as they provide little-to-no rewards for being activated versus their passive effect. As for the other skill slots, I'd recommend Signet of Judgement and Save Yourselves! - most of the time I ran with Sword of Justice for the extra DPS, but I've switched to Signet of Wrath.

Ahh.. Okay. What weapons are you using for your Guardian? I've gone Greatsword and Sword/Shield pretty much.. and it almost looks like I'm going to be doing something similar with any Warrior I plan to play. Almost makes them both seem redundant?

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Well lol...35 minutes of gameplay during lunch and I up'ed my Armorsmith from 35 to 72...
Spent a little too much cash though since I didn't had time to farm...cost my around 30s to buy some Tiny mats.

It'll go better once I hit 75 with Iron and other stuff I have banked.

dougp

Diamond Member
May 3, 2002
Ahh.. Okay. What weapons are you using for your Guardian? I've gone Greatsword and Sword/Shield pretty much.. and it almost looks like I'm going to be doing something similar with any Warrior I plan to play. Almost makes them both seem redundant?

I primarily play w/ GS & Sword + Shield or Torch. I only switched to shield recently because I have an exotic but I think I'm going back to the torch just because of the damage. I always keep a scepter on me for encounters where I need ranged, and a staff for group support.

I also saw recently that hammer is getting a buff, as well as already having competitive DPS with the GS - I wonder if they're going to increase the animations.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
Depends on the buff. Some stack 'intensity" which means the potency of the effect increases (such as might, I think this also resets the duration) and some simply stack duration (such as wrath). I don't know off hand if any don't stack at all, but if you just mouse over the icon it'll tell you. I still have no idea how/if DoTs stack however; haven't paid enough attention.

Guardian F abilities are pretty bleh until/unless you get any traits to enhance them. Radiance traits allow you to reset Justice whenever you kill an enemy which is pretty nice for PVE at least.

From what I have experienced, only power stacks intensity. Both my speed boosts stack duration, and then my Damage over time, stacks duration, as no matter how many bleeds I have applied (from 1 --> 13) it does the same amount of damage over time, just lasts longer. Same as fire.

Could be wrong, but this is what I have experienced playing the bad ass elementalist that goes head first into groups of 4-5 and comes out alive, albeit a broken arm or 2.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
This is only viable until u get to the lvl70 maps.
Then u got multipul warriors throwing there sword, following up with a whirlwind killing things faster then even elementalists spamming AoE's to oblivion.

If you dont believe me, ask Hakuryu.

Cursed shore is dominated by warriors.
Why? cuz warriors and gaurdians are the only class which can go from one corner of the map to the other killing everything in a straight line and not die.

In an event in cursed shore, u see warriors camping spawn points so elementalists are even left to kick the can in boredom.
Mesmers are always left out in the cold... they got 1 skill which they can pop b4 everything dies, and even then, its still hard tagging a mob with enough damage to get loot credit for it.

And none of the warriors in CS is primary range, there 95% GS's because the only way we can beat out an elementalist, is throwing your sword, and then following though a whirlwind.
Which on my warrior is effectively arround 10-12k damage... 3-4k on the throw, another 3-4k on the return, and 3-4k on the whirl...

Add another warrior... group = DEAD unless its a veteran or champion, which then you see all the warriors tell the elementalist, have fun dpsing while we go look for another spawn mob to charge into and repeat our cycle.

nah, not true at all. :colbert:

Sure, it takes some time and switching--but Chaos Storm + iWarlock + switch to sword/focus + Blurred Frenzy + iWarden = rather massive damage gives you multiple skills that pump out rather substantial damage.

But yeah--lots of CD to recycle it, and you still spend time kiting. Also, Mesmers have rather "elite" downed skills :D, so there's a rather substantial array of damage in various states....just have to be smart about playing. Yeah, we can't just run in and go smashy smashy aggro everything until we have to wait for someone else to come res us for our stupidity, but...you know. That's what warriors excel at. :p

the sword skills provide you a decent amount of invulnerability, and good escape with good CD--you need it of course. Mesmers certainly can't stick around within a mob, but the burst damage is pretty good if specced for it. I am having problems with iWarlock, though, where after activating, it only seems to cast half the time--this is very annoying. the skill activates and flashes, then simply doesn't cast. I have nothing else activating and the target is still very much alive, so I have no idea what is going on with that. Shame, those little bastards are doing roughly 4k damage each for me on critical. :( I'm not even specced anywhere close to where Mr Moneybags Poly is specced, either. :p

Last edited:

krnmastersgt

Platinum Member
Jan 10, 2008
From what I have experienced, only power stacks intensity. Both my speed boosts stack duration, and then my Damage over time, stacks duration, as no matter how many bleeds I have applied (from 1 --> 13) it does the same amount of damage over time, just lasts longer. Same as fire.

Could be wrong, but this is what I have experienced playing the bad ass elementalist that goes head first into groups of 4-5 and comes out alive, albeit a broken arm or 2.

Pretty much all boons (with the exception of those that cannot stack) as well as DoT's "stack" in a strange manner.

Let's say your bleed ticks for damage every 5 seconds, if you get 5 stacks it doesn't proc for 5x damage every 5 seconds but rather will proc every second. While it looks like the bleed is "stacking" the first application of bleed will time out on its own regardless of how many times it looks like you reset the bleed duration. Boons work the same way, if you get 10 stacks of might over 10 seconds then the first stack will be timing out as you earn the 10th. This is how all stacking boons/debuffs stack if they can at all (swiftness cannot stack and Quickness doesn't affect movespeed, just attack/cast animations).

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
Pretty much all boons (with the exception of those that cannot stack) as well as DoT's "stack" in a strange manner.

Let's say your bleed ticks for damage every 5 seconds, if you get 5 stacks it doesn't proc for 5x damage every 5 seconds but rather will proc every second. While it looks like the bleed is "stacking" the first application of bleed will time out on its own regardless of how many times it looks like you reset the bleed duration. Boons work the same way, if you get 10 stacks of might over 10 seconds then the first stack will be timing out as you earn the 10th. This is how all stacking boons/debuffs stack if they can at all (swiftness cannot stack and Quickness doesn't affect movespeed, just attack/cast animations).

Actually I timed the ticks of my bleeds on a mob and it is much faster than 1 per second. Normally it seems 3-4 ticks pers second.

krnmastersgt

Platinum Member
Jan 10, 2008
Actually I timed the ticks of my bleeds on a mob and it is much faster than 1 per second. Normally it seems 3-4 ticks pers second.

I was using that as an example, just to illustrate how bleeds/poisons would "stack" with each other, the damage per tick never goes up but the interval between ticks becomes much shorter per "stack".

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
I was using that as an example, just to illustrate how bleeds/poisons would "stack" with each other, the damage per tick never goes up but the interval between ticks becomes much shorter per "stack".

I know, I just like seeing and therefore saying how fast the dot ticks.