*** Official ASUS K8V/DELUXE (K8T800) Thread ***

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KiLLaBEEz

Feb 7, 2004
Regs, abou the HD noise when booting and switching the IDE , so to make sure, you saif you have the ones where the HD;s are supposed to go in the optical, and the opticals where the HD are supposed to go right? If i do that now is it safe, or is that before windows install?

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Lans
In reply to those that have problems with spontaneous rebooting / random BSODs:

Try to your FireWire and USB connectors. I experienced the above symptoms setting up my system last night until I removed nearly every component of my comp then reassembled piece by piece. The culprit for me was that I had connected the FireWire wrong, so I took disabled FireWire in the BIOS, removed the connectors and the problems went away.

I never bothered hooking up Firewire. I have no devices that use it so it is still sitting in the bag. I do have all 4 USB ports in use though. Still, running my memory at a lower clock speed has proven to work for me. No more issues here...other than not being able to run my memory clock at its rated speed.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Well, last night my RAID array took a dump. I had to format and re-install Windows. I took the opportunity to adjust the memory voltage to 2.7. Re-loaded Windows and it seems to be running stable now at 400mhz. I got as far as setting up all the hardware and downloading some of the Windows updates and latest drivers. Tonight I load up the firewall, anti-virus software and Microsoft Office.

And...WEEEEEEEE!!! The fun continues...:confused:

shadow77

Feb 8, 2004
Originally posted by: JetBlack69
EDIT: Problem solved, read my post below.

I just got the board today and I'm having problems. Here are my specs.

3000+ 64 OEM
K8 Silentboost heatsink
2x512 of Crucial PC3200 from their own web site for the board
ATI 9000

When I power up, it get a women telling me that "CPU failed due to overclocking" during the first boot. I cannot get to the BIOS and the monitor doesn't get a signal. I've tried
-swaping PSU to 400 watt
-using only one stick at a time in the first slot
-reseating the CPU, memory, and heatsink

I'm at a loss. Please help me.

I have the same problem and well i got the same heatsink fan heres the thread I made http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=32&threadid=1245720

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
And again...the RAID array stopped responding during a software install last night (actually, I was inputing the key for Zone Alarm and it locked up hard). I restarted the system but it wouldn't recognize the RAID drives. I removed them and put in a Maxtor 60GB drive to load Windows on. I think I'm going to return these damned Raptors. I'm not willing to reload Windows every other day. I think Microsoft is becoming suspicious of me...sure you're hard drive failed...how many computers do you really have this OS loaded on?

EglsFly

Feb 21, 2001
I RMA'd the CPU and got a brand new one.
SYSTEM STILL FAILS!!! :|
Reports: "System Failed CPU Test"
& no video, no post.

Tried a old stick of 256MB PC2100 I have in a system, didn't help.
Both power connectors are plugged in, and the cpu fan is plugged into its connector as well.

Thinking maybe its the motherboad?

BTW, I filled out their Technical Inquiries form under Contact ASUS about this over a week ago when this first happend,
I have still not recieved a response!

Thinking of replacing it with the MSI K8T NEO.

LeeC

Dec 28, 2003
i Had alot of troubles with my asus K8, went to MSI K8T Neo, and not a problem since,,

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Well, it's been up and running on an IDE drive for almost a week now. No crashes at all. I am running at 400MHz now (2 512MB DIMMs in slots 1 and 3). I have all the RAM timings set to default.

I probably just jinxed myself though.
rolleye.gif

Trifus

Feb 16, 2004
Hello all,

1st time posting and could really use some help.

Setup

AMD 64 3200+
Asus K8V Deluxe
1 gig Kingston Hyper X 3200 RAM
2 WD 120 gig SATA Hard Drives
Soundblaster Audigy 2
ATI 9600XT 128 meg graphics card
LG DVD Rom
Plextor 708A DVD burner

I just put this system together and it booted up w/o exploding. Counted my blessings and continued on. The BIOS recognizes the hardware installed including the HD's. 1st time computer builder by the way.

1st question is when I'm booting up, the FastTrak 378 BIOS flashes on the screen, and indicates it's "scanning IDE drives" and afterwards, indicates that "No drive attached to FastTrak controller, the BIOS is not installed" Is this anything I should worry about?

2nd question is I'm installing the 2 HD's in a RAID 0 array. I've installed the drives using SATA wires and plugged them into the VIA SATA ports. I've created the RAID array to RAID 0 on the setup screen, however, when I attempt to start the "Create Process" by hitting enter, nothing happens. Has anyone ever experienced this? And if so, any suggestions?

Any help in this would be greatly appreciated.

XRdirtHead

Jan 14, 2001
I just picked up one of these and I'm having trouble trying to set it up.

If I only have one sata drive I should use the promise non raid drivers...right?

In the bios I should switch from raid to ide...right?

Should I disable anything else in bios that has to do with only running one sata hd....

Where should I be pluggin it into on the mobo...into the primary or the sata1 connector.....

I have twin corsair sticks in the yellow mem slots...thats right....right?

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: XRdirtHead
I just picked up one of these and I'm having trouble trying to set it up.

If I only have one sata drive I should use the promise non raid drivers...right?

In the bios I should switch from raid to ide...right?

Should I disable anything else in bios that has to do with only running one sata hd....

Where should I be pluggin it into on the mobo...into the primary or the sata1 connector.....

I have twin corsair sticks in the yellow mem slots...thats right....right?

Ideal memory configuration for this board is listed in the manual as DIMM slots 1 (blue) and 3 (yellow) for two 512MB sticks (I assume this is what you are using?). Check your manual for other combinations if you are running a different configuration.

I would run SATA of the VIA SATA connector (the two upper ones-not the promise controller). Then again, I had trouble getting mine to work in this configuration as a RAID 0 array. Still, the VIA SATA connectors run through the southbridge and is supposedly faster than the Promise controller. You could probably run it through either one though. Whichever one you chose make sure you disable the other in the bios or it will spend time looking for a hard drive on that controller during boot up every time.

XRdirtHead

Jan 14, 2001
I was using the yellow ones thinking they were for a pair of memory sticks.

I am not running raid and don't think I can run one sata drive on the via connector. I guess i'm using the right one then.

Not sure what to disable in bios if I'm running the promise controller.

ON CHIP SATA BOOT ROM enable or disable
ON BOARD PROMISE CONTROLLER raid or ide
OPERATING MODE enable or disable
ONBOARD LAN enable or disable
ONBOARD LAN BOOT ROM enable or disable

Viper96720

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2002
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
One more thing, the Asus manual lists DIMM slots 1 & 2 or slots 1 & 3 as valid locations for 2 512MB PC3200 DDR sticks. I had mine in 1 & 2 but moved one to slot 3 before I started messing with the clock speed. I am going to try upping the clock speed to 400 tonight to see if it was the memory location that was causing my problems or if it was memory clock speed.

I'm still at 333MHz right now. Haven't felt like messing with it since it is working so well right now.

Set the timings manually. I'll try and find my manual with the timings I used. Mine's running fine at auto so I use that. But it also ran fine when I set it manually.

Viper96720

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2002
Try these settings DDR 400
Cas latency 2.5
TRC 11
TRFC 14
TRCD 3
TWR 3
TRWT 3
TRAS 8
TRP 3
DDR delay auto

mechainca

Feb 1, 2004
I am running one 36 gig Raptor as my boot disk on the the VIA sata controler. I have no other hard drives installed. I originally had the boot disk running on the Promice controller, however after nearly one week of running it that way my hard drive crashed. It lost all the information for booting. This happened imediatly after inserting a CD written with Direct CD. I now have IN CD installed and was curious if I could read the Direct CD disc with it. My screen went imediatly blue. I shut down and tried booting back up, but it was no good. When I tried to reinstall the OS the disk was no longer recognized. I decieded to load to the VIA controller instead. So far so good after about 2 weeks. I do not overclock, all my settings are at default as far as memory timings and processor speed. I did disable the Promise controller in the BIOS after I changed to the VIA controller. My OS is Windows 2000 Pro.

XRdirtHead

Jan 14, 2001
i'm sending mine back too...I wasted way to much time on this piece of crap...thinkin about the msi....

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Viper96720
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
One more thing, the Asus manual lists DIMM slots 1 & 2 or slots 1 & 3 as valid locations for 2 512MB PC3200 DDR sticks. I had mine in 1 & 2 but moved one to slot 3 before I started messing with the clock speed. I am going to try upping the clock speed to 400 tonight to see if it was the memory location that was causing my problems or if it was memory clock speed.

I'm still at 333MHz right now. Haven't felt like messing with it since it is working so well right now.

Set the timings manually. I'll try and find my manual with the timings I used. Mine's running fine at auto so I use that. But it also ran fine when I set it manually.

Thanks for the tip but I've been up and running fine for over a week now at 400mhz memory clock but without RAID. I can't seem to get past the many issues of setting up a RAID array on this mobo. I loaded Windows on a 7200 rpm 60GB Maxtor and have had none of the problems I had with the RAID array. I couldn't get the IDE drive to load windows though until I moved the memory from slots 1 and 2 to slots 1 and 3 (both are valid memory configurations according to the manual though). I can't help thinking this is somehow memory related but I really don't want to keep messing with it and throwing money at it trying to get it to work. I think I may just RMA the 2 Raptors and live with IDE. :disgust:

Viper96720

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2002
How to setup raid is in the manual. Have drivers on floppy. Make sure the right boot order is selected in the bios. You want it booting from the sata ports. Not the ide one.

XRdirtHead

Jan 14, 2001
viper,
could you explain what to disable or leave enabled in the bios for using either one hd or running raid. some basic bios tips for us noobs setting this mobo up....I'm really tired of messing with this board. I just want the damn thing to work

Viper96720

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2002
I'm using a single raptor on the via controller.
In boot settings under hard drive. Have Via VT6420 set as first drive.
Boot device priority
1st boot device cd-rom
2nd boot device floppy
3rd boot device Via VT6420

Then I just put XP cd in drive and have via sata drivers ready on floppy. Hit F6 when the install 3rd party drivers come up. Then just put the floppy in.
Should be the same if using the promise controller. Just have the promise drivers on a floppy. Also set the operating mode for whether you have a single drive or raid on the promise.

XRdirtHead

Jan 14, 2001
Still confused on these options in the bios...

ON CHIP SATA BOOT ROM enable or disable...WHATS IS THIS ?
ON BOARD PROMISE CONTROLLER raid or ide....OK...RAID IS FOR RAID AND IDE FOR SINGLE DRIVES
OPERATING MODE enable or disable....NOT SURE ON THIS ONE
ONBOARD LAN enable or disable...NOT SURE ON THIS ONE
ONBOARD LAN BOOT ROM enable or disable....NOT SURE ON THIS ONE

I can't get windows to install. I keep getting the same error that windows can't copy the following files:
processr.sys
nic1394.sys
sonydcam.sys
msh263.drv
ntkrnlpa.exe

I tried using different XP install disks, different hd, different cd drive, different graphics card.

The mobo and cpu are new and I suspect one of them.

rams ok....corsair xms..... tried ide and sata hd .....same exact files not being copied.
I even copied the files to a cdr and it still wouldnt copy them.