*** Official ASUS K8V/DELUXE (K8T800) Thread ***

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dman877

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2004
Originally posted by: Regs
There has been a few people who have noticed random Hard drive reboots during power up. Apparently, for some odd reason, older hard drives don't like ASUS's IDE channels. Most likely because of out of date firmware on year-old 7200 RPM drives.
But when the HDD's are on the #1 IDE connector and opticals on the 2nd IDE connecter located on the motherboard, the hard drives restart during the boot process.

I had to make sure my optical drives were on IDE connector 1 and hard discs on IDE connector 2.

Question: Does the new Bios offer a performance increase?

I'm using my k8v with an IBM Deskstar that's about 3 years old, hd is on ide1 and cd is on ide2, no problems, bios is 1002 (current bios is 1004 I think).

Azaran

Jan 17, 2004
K8V and Ram types

Hoping someone can help me figure this out since I've been getting all sorts of different answers. I"m looking to upgrade to the K8V Deluxe as soon as possible. I had originaly started on the upgrade path towards a P4 system and had purchesed RAM for the expected system.

The RAM type is Mushkin PC3500 Lvl II (2x512mb). After a view issues surounding the P4 system, I decided instead to upgrade to a Athlon 64. Now I know the P4 chipsets can handle 2 dual banked RAM DIMMs but can the K8V? I keep hearing Dual channel and Dual Bank used interchangably by some and others saying they're completely different critters.

Can someone please give me a heads up as to what the difference is and if I need to go about selling this RAM and picking up something new.

Arie

Dman877

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2004
I have 2x256 MB PC3200 on my K8V, with ram chips on both sides of the ram pcb (is that what you mean by dual bank?). Works fine.

I'm pretty sure your ram will be fine, ddr is ddr. Of course if you go FX or opteron you'll need registered...

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: Dman877

I'm using my k8v with an IBM Deskstar that's about 3 years old, hd is on ide1 and cd is on ide2, no problems, bios is 1002 (current bios is 1004 I think).

Then likely something else is the problem. I know there has been a bunch who shared the same problem as I had. Can't figure out the reason.

Azaran

Jan 17, 2004
From what I understand there's a difference between dual sided (ram chips on both sides of the DIMM) and Dual Banked, and then theres dual channel..

Can anyone help discypher these terms?

RX8Owner

Jan 17, 2004
I just purchased my K8V mb. I have an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro w/ 128MB, SB Audigy2 ZS Platinum, 512MB DDR3200, Athlon 64 3200+. Just a couple of questions:

1. Whenever I boot the computer, it powers down within the first couple of minutes. Sometimes it won't let me power back up unter after a period of time, sometimes right away. The CPU is being cooled by a Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu. I'm curious as to whether someone has any ideas as to why it won't stay on. Is my CPU overheating, and if so, what could be causing it?

2. Can I use just one SATA drive with the mb, or do I require 2 of the same type (not really wanting to set up with RAID just yet if I can help it)?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

RX8Owner

Jan 17, 2004
I think that I just solved my booting problems. It appears that the CPU has been overheating, and the system is automatically shutting down to prevent damage.

This might also interest anyone who is trying to mount the Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu fan to the CPU.

Remove the black bracket that surrounds the CPU socket. Use the long screws that came with the black bracket, attach the fan to the mb tightening only enough to prevent the fan from moving up and down or tilting. The attachments that come with the fan don't allow the fan to get close enough to the processor to do a good job of anything.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Yes RX8owner, glad to hear you got it going.

BTW, I am also an RX-8 owner, Oregon License plate number "04 RX-8", and I have an Athlon64 3000+ (great minds think alike ??)

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Originally posted by: Azaran
K8V and Ram types

Hoping someone can help me figure this out since I've been getting all sorts of different answers. I"m looking to upgrade to the K8V Deluxe as soon as possible. I had originaly started on the upgrade path towards a P4 system and had purchesed RAM for the expected system.

The RAM type is Mushkin PC3500 Lvl II (2x512mb). After a view issues surounding the P4 system, I decided instead to upgrade to a Athlon 64. Now I know the P4 chipsets can handle 2 dual banked RAM DIMMs but can the K8V? I keep hearing Dual channel and Dual Bank used interchangably by some and others saying they're completely different critters.

Can someone please give me a heads up as to what the difference is and if I need to go about selling this RAM and picking up something new.

Arie

I am fairly certain that it will work fine. If it can handle 1 gig dimms, it should be able to handle dual banked. I read the manual, and it does not say anything about that however, just double sided is OK.

Azaran

Jan 17, 2004
Cool ok thanks for all the info on this guys and/or gals. Hopefuly I should be able to start getting my system built by this time next week.

Azaran

Jan 17, 2004
OK looks like I'm going to be picking up this motherboard today. Any tips for set up?

Its going to be a Athlon 64 3200 in there with the retail fan, 1gig of PC 3500, and I'm looking at putting a SATA drive in as the master system drive.

You guys have been a great help so far, thanks.

JetBlack69

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2001
Originally posted by: XBoxLPU
Originally posted by: XBoxLPU
Can the raid controller be used like an IDE controller ? I know you cant put cdroms... etc on it ...

?

Yes, you can use the Promise Raid controller as just IDE devices. However, you need to go to the BIOS and change it's setting from RAID to IDE.

LeeC

Dec 28, 2003
I have had enough problems with the board, that I decided to send it back. Looks like I'l put an MSI K8 on,and see if it clears some of my problems. Even if it does not. I am not going to chance it. It is one of the boards that has the bad capacitors.

JetBlack69

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2001
Bummer about the bad board LeeC, good luck on the MSI. That was the board I was going to go with if I didn't like the Asus.

RX8Owner

Jan 17, 2004
Here's a new one...

I finally got the OS installed and booting off of the SATA drive. Now there's another confusing event. After powering down the system, it will not come back on for an extended period of time.

Any Ideas???

Thanks in advance.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Power supply ? I saw some specs, but not all. PSU and memory are most important based on what your concerns are. Very detailed specs are a must.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
I'm planning on building a new computer and this threads making me nervous. Ok so here are the specs:

WD 200GB Ide drive (already own)

Plextor Black 8X DVD-RW/+RW Drive, Model PX-708A/SW-BL

SAMSUNG SFD321B/LBL1 Black 1.44MB 3.5inch Floppy Disk Drive

Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD740GD

3x Kingmax 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200, Cas Latency 2.5

Asus K8T800 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 754 CPU, Model "K8V Deluxe"

ENERMAX EG651P-VE(FMA). 550W Power supply

AMD Athlon 64 3400+ stock heatsink/fan

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS GAMER Limited Edition PCI Sound Card

POWERCOM Black Knight Pro 5 Outlets 1500Va Line Interactive UPS, Model "BNT-1500AP"

ASUS RADEON 9800XT Video Card, 256MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/VIVO, 8X AGP, Model "9800XT/TVD"

With this motherboard will these parts work good?

RX8Owner

Jan 17, 2004
I know that it will work with the Creative Sound card (I have an Audigy 2 ZS Platinum), and should work with the Video Card (I have the ATI AIW Radeon 9800 Pro w/ 128MB).

JetBlack69

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2001
Originally posted by: AyashiKaibutsu
I'm planning on building a new computer and this threads making me nervous. Ok so here are the specs:

3x Kingmax 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200, Cas Latency 2.5

I believe this chipset (or even Athlon64 specific) will not run 3 memory sticks at DDR3200 speeds, it will run at a slower speed (like DDR2100). I'm not 100% sure on that. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

scallion

Jan 28, 2004
I've got some major issues. System specs to follow.

1) 90% of the time after bios recognizes my harddrives, my system beeps and i get this message:

"Chassis intruded !
Fatal Error...System halted."

2) The other 10% of the time, bios will finish and i begin to install winXP. Thing is, after the first reboot in XP installation, i get a blue screen that says windows has halted setup so as not to damage my system...blah blah blah.

My system:

Asus K8V Deluxe
Aspire ATX case with 420W ps
two WD1600JD HD (raid 1) (SATA)
Lite on DVD+/-R LDW-811S
Lite on CDRW/DVD combo 48x24x48x16
two 512mb mushkin pc3500 DDR Level II
ATI AIW Radeon 9800 pro

Things i've tried:

clearing the cmos
every possible arrangement of the ram (1 and 2 sticks)
plugging the HDs in either raid controller
various bios tweaks

If anyone thinks they can help, please let me know.

Thanks!

:frown:

Azaran

Jan 17, 2004
Scallion

Have you tried slowing the timings of the RAM down?

I have the exact same RAM (Mushkin PC3500 2x512 LvL II) and ran in to nothing but problems. It took me a few days to narrow the problems down to the RAM. When I decreased the settings to 333mhz in the bios it would boot with no problem and gave no errors (got the run of IRQ less than zero, page file and stop: errors).

Try downloading memtest86+ (any search engine will get you to it) it runs on a floppy disk so theres no need to worry about a faulty windows install. A half hour run should tell you if the ram is the issue or not.

Speaking of which I'm returning that ram and in the market for new stuff, any sugestions for fast stable RAM from anyone out there?

McArra

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
For overclocking: How do you lock AGP/PCI when rising FSB? Do you use any program?