*** Official ASUS K8V/DELUXE (K8T800) Thread ***

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ijuok

Jun 15, 2004
Hey guys well i have some problems with my rig.
Amd64 3200+
asus K8V SE DELUXE mobo
512x2 ddr 400 of mushkin or whatever ram
80 gig WD 8mb cache 7200 rpm hard drive master on primary
antec true power 480 watt psu
ati radeon 9600 xt 128 mb
some random case
48x24x48x16x dvd/cd-rw drive as master on secondary
ok.
So this is what i have done, After installing everything (OS ETC)
I updated all the drivers on the net
flashed my bios to 1003
I disabled the logo for the bios , disabled promise,sata raid, enabled quick boot
but this is what i get
So after that i restart my computer
hear the post beep. after the beep it shows the main bios screen with all your computer stats
thats ok, buttt the part that pisses me off is that it goes and takes forever it says "scanning for ide drives or something like that" and finds all my drives that allone takes about 30secs-1 minute. after that. it boots into this black screen and just hangs for a minute a good solid 30seconds to a minute again. Its very irritating i've messed around with my bios settings so much and i can't seem to figure out the problems. I have updated all my hardware to the newest versions. I really don't understand so if anyone could help me on this that would be great.

nadlad786

Apr 13, 2004
ave recently built my pc as u know u guided me through it remeber howevere on the asus k8v mobo the usb are 2.0 arent they anyway i have plugged my ipod into one via usb and it says dangeru are tryign to connect a high speed device to a low speed device and subsequently it takes forever loading the dam ipod.

i then use my mobo disc to try and install usb 2.0 drivers but i get a error saying "You must install windows xp sp1 pack" in order to install this..........i then went to the microstf website and downloaded the right service pack, once i ran this it aborted halfway through sdayign that my windows serial is invalid......am stuck need your help

JetBlack69

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2001
Originally posted by: ijuok
80 gig WD 8mb cache 7200 rpm hard drive master on primary

Is that the only drive on the IDE chain? Like, is there a slave drive as well? If there isn't a slave drive as well, remove the jumper. WD drives are known to have problems when the jumper setting is set to master and they are the only drive on the ide chain.

I read your post before reading your specs and I just guessed that you had a western digital hard drive.

JetBlack69

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2001
Originally posted by: nadlad786
ave recently built my pc as u know u guided me through it remeber howevere on the asus k8v mobo the usb are 2.0 arent they anyway i have plugged my ipod into one via usb and it says dangeru are tryign to connect a high speed device to a low speed device and subsequently it takes forever loading the dam ipod.

i then use my mobo disc to try and install usb 2.0 drivers but i get a error saying "You must install windows xp sp1 pack" in order to install this..........i then went to the microstf website and downloaded the right service pack, once i ran this it aborted halfway through sdayign that my windows serial is invalid......am stuck need your help

Well....is your window serial valid?

theohiostate

Jun 18, 2004
bannerwitcoff

What did you mean when you said Cool and Quiet worked for you when you got the instructions in the BIOS set correctly?

I feel I have followed all of the instructions provided by ASUS to get CnQ to work, and it does not.

I have not upgraded the BIOS yet. Is that what you meant? What version of the BIOS are you using?
And did you download it from the K8V se Deluxe page at ASUS?

please email me if anyone knows if there is something special extra i have to do.
muehl.1@osu.edu

systems specs
athlon 64 3000+ (retail, with retail fan and heat sync)
Kingston 512MB DDR400 RAM
ATI 9600XT
160 Gig Samsung SATA Hard Drive
Lite On 8x DVD Burner
XP SP 1

AmeenR

Jun 9, 2004
Hey guys!

Dont fear the K8V Deluxe! I just assembled my new system and it went together perfectly!! This was with some very crappy ram i found, just to get her up and running. Dont forget to make a driver disk if you are installing a sata HD!!!

imported_jkd301

Jun 20, 2004
I had been using a K8V Deluxe for a few months with a AMD 3400+ processor and 1 Gig PC3200 Corsair. When I first built the system I noticed the slots for the Ram had a very tight fit. I purchased another 512 mb of the same mem from newegg plugged it in made sure of the fit turned the machine on and "POOOF" got a nice whit puff of smoke from the 3rd ram slot. Shut it down as fast as I could took out the new chip tried to reboot the machine and of corse it didnt reboot. I checked the ram stick in another computer I have along with all the rest and they all work. There are two small burn marks on the third dimm slot one at the top and one in the middle (real small spots) I cant check the processor as I dont have another AMD mobo yet. Of corse ASUS will not honor the warantee as there are burn marks on the slot, I really dont think I am to blame but what can you do lol. Before this I had a ASUS P4PE mobo with a P4 processor that gave me fits with boot trouble, I will probably go with another brand. As for ASUS I can say when they work they work great.

----------------------------------
Pent 4 3.2
Abit MOBO
1 gig Corsair PC3500
Nvidia 5950 xt
2x Seagate 120 Gig HD's
2x Maddog Media CD/DVD/RW
In my old alienware case
Waiting on my new MOBO from newegg

Dart84

Jun 22, 2004
Hello all...

I just recently bought the k8v SE Deluxe board through an acoomidationd from where I work. I have been having some issues formatting the hard drive to work. During set up I get an error msg that a tech number has told me was my RAM.

My question is does any one know if the mushkin pc3200 special 2-2-2 RAM will work with the system. I know its not on the listed supported ram, but I am curious if it might be something else before I drop money on new ram, expessialy since I just got this ram. Any ways I amanged to get though setting up windows but the system just keeps rebooting.

Anyways of the RAM that asus recommends is there a specific kind that you guys would recommend?

Jcp219

Jun 24, 2004
JKD301, The reason your MB Poofed was because it only supports 2 sticks of PC3200.
Dart84, So You got the accommadation as well, comgrats. About the RAM, someone listed earlier that the Muskin 2-2-2 is highly recommended for A64 systems, but for max stability you should run it with 2-3-2 timings.

I didn't see it mentioned anywhere so far, but does anyone know how well 2x-Kingston HyperX PC3500 would run in the SE version of this MoBo? Any different timings on these sticks?

Thx.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Jcp, check the link in my previous message. I don't think they used Kingston PC-3500 in the test, but I think they used PC-4000 and it worked well. I may be taking advantage of an accomodation program if I can get my buddy to buy my current setup, and I will be putting in 2x512MB Kingston HyperX PC-4000. Hope this helps

Wynner3

Jul 4, 2002
*****************////////////////////////////////
****HELP****

I did a test and found out that my Asus K8V bios was out of date. I followed the manual to the "T" and when I was trying to flash the bios, it said flash failed then shut down. Now the thing will not power up and I am scared. It's a brand new motherboard and I can't afford to send another computer part back. Someone please help. The computer specs are in my signature. I tried to upgrade it to version 1003 and I have/had 1001. Is there anything I can do? Ahhhh.......

Jcp219

Jun 24, 2004
fbrdphreak, Thanks, that link was very comforting :)

Does anyone know what the latest Beta BIOS (1004.1) for the K8V SE Deluxe has different?

Thanks.

Wynner3

Jul 4, 2002
yes I have and it doesn't work. Even though the drives rev up, nothing gets read or loaded. I tried clearing the cmos and that did nothing either. This thing is really working against me. I have taken everything out and reseated them, reset, turned off and back on again, unplugged drives, replugged them in, etc... Nothing is working, I am beginning to think that I will have to send it back but I have already sent back two products and it has cost a lot of money.

Algere

Platinum Member
Feb 29, 2004
Have you tried contacting ASUS about the problem?

Maybe they can send ya a replacement BIOS chip.

MrCodeDude

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I don't feel like going through 500 messages/posts but has the USB Keyboard/Mouse thing been fixed yet?

Bad Dude

Diamond Member
Jan 25, 2000
Why is that the Athlon 64 boards can only take 2 sticks of double sided RAM? Pretty bad compare to my Intel i875 with 4 sticks of double sided RAM.

Bad Dude

Diamond Member
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: AyashiKaibutsu
I'm planning on building a new computer and this threads making me nervous. Ok so here are the specs:

WD 200GB Ide drive (already own)

Plextor Black 8X DVD-RW/+RW Drive, Model PX-708A/SW-BL

SAMSUNG SFD321B/LBL1 Black 1.44MB 3.5inch Floppy Disk Drive

Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD740GD

3x Kingmax 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200, Cas Latency 2.5

Asus K8T800 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 754 CPU, Model "K8V Deluxe"

ENERMAX EG651P-VE(FMA). 550W Power supply

AMD Athlon 64 3400+ stock heatsink/fan

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS GAMER Limited Edition PCI Sound Card

POWERCOM Black Knight Pro 5 Outlets 1500Va Line Interactive UPS, Model "BNT-1500AP"

ASUS RADEON 9800XT Video Card, 256MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/VIVO, 8X AGP, Model "9800XT/TVD"

With this motherboard will these parts work good?

Hey dude,
It looks like you are putting 3 sticks of double sided RAM onto this motherboard. I don't think that will work. This board only allows max 2 sticks of double sided RAM.

paladinzerotwo

Jun 26, 2004
Hi all,

I have been looking at buying an Athlon 64 m/b for a while now, and my head hurts!

Be that as it may, and as much as I like the look of the nforce3 250gb chipset, I am looking seriously at the K8V SE Deluxe. The problem is that I won't be doing much o/clocking and so I want fast RAM "out of the box". I am looking at the Corsair Twinx 1024 PC3200 3200XL, which is meant to handle 2-2-2-5.

My main question is :

1) will the ASUS handle that memory with those tight timings - anyone have any definite information?

BTW - anyone have recommendations for or against the nforce3 m/boards?

thanks all

Dave

spyblog

Jun 27, 2004
Ok well I still haven't decided whether to go with MSI or Asus. I bought the K8V SE Deluxe but this thread has scared me. I have Kingsto Hyper-X PC3200 on order and have about 1-2 days to cancel so I need to know if this RAM is going to be good for the mobo.

Bad Dude

Diamond Member
Jan 25, 2000
OK guys. There's nothing wrong with the board I got. No trouble at all.
Basically, I got the Asus K8V SE Deluxe.
My system specs:
-Antec True Power 430W
-Athlon64 3200+
-2X512MB HyperX PC3000, I put the RAM sticks on DIMM 1 and DIMM2.
-Two Hitachi 200GB on RAID 0, ATA 100.
-One 200GB WD.
-Soundblast Audigy 2.
-Radeon 9800 Pro.
-Hauppauge WinTV 401.
-Silicon Image RAID controller.
-NEC 2500A DVDRW drive.
-1.44 Floppy.

I had absolutely no problem booting up. I just change my setup from the Intel P4C 3Ghz with Asus P4C800 Deluxe.
The only problem that I had was to update the BIOS and it booted up with a blank black screen. So I reset the BIOS using the jumper.
If you guys need any help feel free to email me.

Now the down side of this board is, it has only two RPM monitor for CPU and chasis. Where as my P4C800 Deluxe had a 3rd Power supply fan monitor. Though the board does have the header for the 3rd fan monitor but it does not do anything.
If you are overclocking there's no AGP/PCI lock. But I got my system to run at 210 FSB.

Good luck all.

Yakuzing

Jun 27, 2004
I'm havbing problems with my board :(

its my ram .... you can see my specs down under.. no matter what slots I put the 2 ram blocks in, it simply wont start with 2 of them in.. im running with 1 now, and have switched them around so I know its not the ram... when I have them both in, everything starts... but the monitor is just BLACK.
Anyone know anything then tell me thanks.

oh yeah.. also, im having strange problems updating bios... but now when I look in cpu-z it says the version I tried to update too strange :/.. cause it said failed and stuff..

Bad Dude

Diamond Member
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: Yakuzing
I'm havbing problems with my board :(

its my ram .... you can see my specs down under.. no matter what slots I put the 2 ram blocks in, it simply wont start with 2 of them in.. im running with 1 now, and have switched them around so I know its not the ram... when I have them both in, everything starts... but the monitor is just BLACK.
Anyone know anything then tell me thanks.

oh yeah.. also, im having strange problems updating bios... but now when I look in cpu-z it says the version I tried to update too strange :/.. cause it said failed and stuff..

I am not sure why your board is doing that but I have the K8V SE Deluxe. They might have fixed the problem.
But the RAM sticks should be in 1&2 or 1&3.

Bad Dude

Diamond Member
Jan 25, 2000
Something to enlighten our overclocking adventure. Here's a quote from Hardocp.com:

Since testing, VIA has been kind enough to give us some facts that surround OCing their K8T800 chipset. The AGP, CPU and HyperTransport busses are locked, or rather figured in direct relationship to one another. The CPU/HT bus is 3X the AGP bus. Example:

AGP (66.3MHz) X 3 = CPU/HT(200MHz)

Keep in mind that the HT can be run at 1X, 2X, 3X, or 4X of the CPU bus.

So, every MHz you raise the CPU bus by, it raises the AGP bus by 1/3MHz. So:

210MHz CPU bus = 70MHz AGP busThe PCI bus is totally independent of all of this and is fixed at 33MHz.

Obviously this is going to hinder OCing with any video card that has a sensitive AGP bus rate, like many of the newer cards do now days. VIA did explain that they were working on this. It is worth mentioning that the nForce3 chipset does not have this issue. But there is also another side to this as well. From the very limited amount of 754-pin Athlon64 CPUs that we have seen, it does not seem to be much of a difference on the enthusiast front, as they seem to be the limiting OCing factor. We surely hope to see this change.

So this would means that the overclocking success has to do with the AGP bus speed that the video card can handle. The PCI is fixed at 33Mhz. So it's the AGP bus that is not fixed but the PCI is.